Cage Match to the DEATH: LPGA Tour vs. Middle-aged Scratch and Below

Obee

My only take on this would be the advantage the men will have is they don't have to play their foul balls. Having a partner is a big help.

But it will be interesting to see the results.

On the final day, it is aggregate. Meaning you have to play your ball all the way in. Add up your partner's total score and your total score.

Real golf. :-)

sorry Obee, but that's real amatuer golf.

put your dudes on the same golf course playing for prize money that covers all the bills for the week, makes another mortgage payment, and puts a gallon of milk in the fridge and then we got a conversation.

Please...LPGA Tour players on average are not playing for basic needs. 100th on the money list made $98k last year not including endorsements and anything their spouse brings in.

She “made”. $98,000?? Not at all. Lower that by at least $60,000 in expenses. It’s shockingly expensive to play on the LPGA. Think about how many events are overseas. The airline tickets alone are scary. Everyone seems to forget entry fees, travel, lodging, food, caddy fees. It all eats up a huge amount of money.

If you’re 100th or lower on the LPGA money list you are barely getting by. Endorsement money at that level is minimal as well. Every dollar in winnings is critically important.

I think for context we have to define what we are going to be comparing.

The ams will only have one round of truly playing their own ball (although I will submit that having to post a quality score on a hole in a 2MBB when your partner is in his pocket is extremely stressful too), it will be interesting to see how many post scores comparable with the cut line (I think it was one or two over?). I don't expect any low, low numbers but it would expect many right around par and maybe a couple of them under par.

Really wish they were playing two rounds of aggregate.

I know an LPGA golfer. Have played a lot of golf with her. Have seen her play with scratch golfers. Not even close.

So do I! Recently played with a top 100 player in the world. She beat A group of six or seven scratch golfers by 2 to 4 shots playing a golf course about 400 yards shorter than we played. She shot 71 from the blues. We all shot 73 to 76 from the back.

So, in the context of this thread, what does "not even close" mean?

In my experience, despite playing the same tees, the scratch golfers come out on the short end of the stick. One gentleman didn't think it was fair they played the same tees as he was a legit 300 yard hitter. She beat him quite handily nonetheless.

I also think, and this is just my opinion, that the players on the LPGA Tour get short shrift by many. For example, the thread asking if a 4HI can beat an LPGA Tour player. That's like asking if a 18 HI can beat a scratch golfer.

I know an LPGA golfer. Have played a lot of golf with her. Have seen her play with scratch golfers. Not even close.

Must not be too solid scratch players if she's waxing them all. A good, legimate scratch should have several rounds around the course rating. I don't think Meghan is shooting five or six under that rating every time out. I would think there would be several round that "not even close" would be way wrong.

Maybe a little personal feeling clouding the judgement a bit? Unless we have very different definitions of close.

EDIT: and apologies if I spelled her name wrong. I can't even remember how my daughter in law spells her's (same name), trying to get another one correct is a real long shot.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one that has trouble spelling her name: Megan Khang.

As I said, in my experience. And, yes they were legitimate scratch golfers. I have played golf with them and see what they are capable of.

Yeah, perhaps "not even close" was a bit of an overstatement on my part. But, I was reminded of the thread asking if a 4HI can beat an LPGA Tour player, and it just annoyed me. lol

When Megan and I teamed up at TPC Boston a week or so ago, against her father (a legitimate scratch), and a friend who is a mid-single digit, she didn't need my help at all (though I made a minor contribution). So she beat a scratch and a mid-single digit in best ball (same tees). I don't know about you guys, but I thought that was impressive.

in response I have zero idea what that point/statement is, really, I don't.

mine is that the LPGA players performance (make that their "peak" performance) is always mandatory, it's their job, it's not optional.

amatuers playing amatuer golf have no real skin in the game, they don't give out their Social Security # when they tee it up, a good/bad week has zero impact on their actual lives.

the difference (pressure) between a prize money and an Am event is enormous.

I took it as you saying that LPGA players are thinking about how they need to make a certain amount that week to make the mortgage payment, buy a gallon of milk, and pay the bills. I don't think most of them are.

Also, there are some amateur events with enormous pressure as well. Does the pro game carry more pressure on average? Yeah, probably. But I don't think it's debilitating. Sometimes pressure makes people play better.

Do you see good D1 ladies suddenly get significantly worse when they join the LPGA Tour? Maybe you didn't play college golf, but I did. And the pressure can be enormous. It's a special kind of pressure when you're playing for your whole team and college. Just for one example of high pressure amateur golf.

That's getting close to basic needs.

And spousal income, if someone has one, isn't a proper part of the discussion.

How is spousal income not a part of the discussion when we are talking about LPGA Tour players' ability to pay the bills??? If they have a very wealthy spouse, which I'm sure some of them do, that concern is immediately eliminated.

One thing this forum is famous for....hypothetical scenarios where a man can beat a LPGA player. I guess I don't see the infatuation.

This is a bit better than anything we've ever been able to do because the conditions will likely be almost identical.

The weather in LA this time of year all the way through June is remarkably consistent. Usually between 70 and 85 every single day. Very little rain, usually a 8 - 12 mile an hour wind in the afternoon.

This will just add some nice data points and evidence to all of the hypotheticals out there. Really looking forward to reporting scores. We'll have fun with this.

Over the years, I have gone as low as 67 and as high as 81 on that golf course in this tournament. My average score is probably 74. Last year, my partner and I finished second gross in the tournament. I played poorly on aggregate day and shot 77. He shot 72. The two low rounds on aggregate day were a pair of 68s, I believe.

This is also the kind of course where a 65 to 70-year-old 4-handicapper can have a solid round and shoot right around par. I've seen it happen a few times. Obviously at that age these are former scratch or below golfers who have aged to the point where they no longer can play scratch. But par is definitely out there for that type of a 4-capper. Smart, good control of his ball. Hits fairways and good touch/shortgame technique. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

in response I have zero idea what that point/statement is, really, I don't.

mine is that the LPGA players performance (make that their "peak" performance) is always mandatory, it's their job, it's not optional.

amatuers playing amatuer golf have no real skin in the game, they don't give out their Social Security # when they tee it up, a good/bad week has zero impact on their actual lives.

the difference (pressure) between a prize money and an Am event is enormous.

I took it as you saying that LPGA players are thinking about how they need to make a certain amount that week to make the mortgage payment, buy a gallon of milk, and pay the bills. I don't think most of them are.

Also, there are some amateur events with enormous pressure as well. Does the pro game carry more pressure on average? Yeah, probably. But I don't think it's debilitating. Sometimes pressure makes people play better.

Do you see good D1 ladies suddenly get significantly worse when they join the LPGA Tour? Maybe you didn't play college golf, but I did. And the pressure can be enormous. It's a special kind of pressure when you're playing for your whole team and college. Just for one example of high pressure amateur golf.

How is spousal income not a part of the discussion when we are talking about LPGA Tour players' ability to pay the bills??? If they have a very wealthy spouse, which I'm sure some of them do, that concern is immediately eliminated.

what I'am suggesting is the LPGA players are a know commodity, they are playing at the top of the food chain, we aren't speculating about them. they are actually working when they are taking a loop around the same course Obee and the Am's are playing for what basically amounts to fun. put Obee's crew and a prize purse together and see what scores look like, then we are comparing apples to apples.

an btw I am not dimissing/diminishing the Amateurs scores here, I just can't call them equal to anything the LPGA girls are doing. and fwiw I have played in just the state of California alone in well over 250 full field events both amateur and then professional status. I'm sorry dude, but putting a peg in the ground as a professional playing for money is not the same as playing as an amateur, never has been, never will be. anyway, this is my last post on here, I enjoyed the banter. :good:

One thing this forum is famous for....hypothetical scenarios where a man can beat a LPGA player. I guess I don't see the infatuation.

This is a bit better than anything we've ever been able to do because the conditions will likely be almost identical.

The weather in LA this time of year all the way through June is remarkably consistent. Usually between 70 and 85 every single day. Very little rain, usually a 8 - 12 mile an hour wind in the afternoon.

This will just add some nice data points and evidence to all of the hypotheticals out there. Really looking forward to reporting scores. We'll have fun with this.

Over the years, I have gone as low as 67 and as high as 81 on that golf course in this tournament. My average score is probably 74. Last year, my partner and I finished second gross in the tournament. I played poorly on aggregate day and shot 77. He shot 72. The two low rounds on aggregate day were a pair of 68s, I believe.

This is also the kind of course where a 65 to 70-year-old 4-handicapper can have a solid round and shoot right around par. I've seen it happen a few times. Obviously at that age these are former scratch or below golfers who have aged to the point where they no longer can play scratch. But par is definitely out there for that type of a 4-capper. Smart, good control of his ball. Hits fairways and good touch/shortgame technique. :-)

have a great week Obee at an awesome sounding event! edit: I will 100% tell you I am jealous.

there are few golf things I cherished (and at this point miss) more than every NCGA or Cal State tournament I ever played in up north or on the Monterey peninsula. some of the finest golf experiences of a lifetime. I'm certain you'd agree.

• Like 1

have a great week Obee at an awesome sounding event! edit: I will 100% tell you I am jealous.

there are few golf things I cherished (and at this point miss) more than every NCGA or Cal State tournament I ever played in up north or on the Monterey peninsula. some of the finest golf experiences of a lifetime. I'm certain you'd agree.

I sure do agree, Kenny. I absolutely am addicted to tournament golf. Can't wait to turn 55, since I'm a short-hitting 50 year-old. Tough to compete against the 30 year-old former pros in SoCal mid-am events!! Bring on the up tees!!! :-)

Must not be too solid scratch players if she's waxing them all. A good, legimate scratch should have several rounds around the course rating. I don't think Meghan is shooting five or six under that rating every time out. I would think there would be several round that "not even close" would be way wrong.

Maybe a little personal feeling clouding the judgement a bit? Unless we have very different definitions of close.

EDIT: and apologies if I spelled her name wrong. I can't even remember how my daughter in law spells her's (same name), trying to get another one correct is a real long shot.

Don't worry, you aren't the only one that has trouble spelling her name: Megan Khang.

As I said, in my experience. And, yes they were legitimate scratch golfers. I have played golf with them and see what they are capable of.

Yeah, perhaps "not even close" was a bit of an overstatement on my part. But, I was reminded of the thread asking if a 4HI can beat an LPGA Tour player, and it just annoyed me. lol

When Megan and I teamed up at TPC Boston a week or so ago, against her father (a legitimate scratch), and a friend who is a mid-single digit, she didn't need my help at all (though I made a minor contribution). So she beat a scratch and a mid-single digit in best ball (same tees). I don't know about you guys, but I thought that was impressive.

Is Rocky (from Pinehurst) looping for her?

Is Rocky (from Pinehurst) looping for her?

Christina Kim's former caddy. I don't remember his name. :-0

what I'am suggesting is the LPGA players are a know commodity, they are playing at the top of the food chain, we aren't speculating about them. they are actually working when they are taking a loop around the same course Obee and the Am's are playing for what basically amounts to fun. put Obee's crew and a prize purse together and see what scores look like, then we are comparing apples to apples.

an btw I am not dimissing/diminishing the Amateurs scores here, I just can't call them equal to anything the LPGA girls are doing. and fwiw I have played in just the state of California alone in well over 250 full field events both amateur and then professional status. I'm sorry dude, but putting a peg in the ground as a professional playing for money is not the same as playing as an amateur, never has been, never will be. anyway, this is my last post on here, I enjoyed the banter. :good:

Give everyone in Obee's crew a professional caddie, practice rounds, and the course in the best condition it will be in all year...then we can start comparing apples to apples.

I agree it's not a perfect comparison. But I don't think there is some mythical pressure that is pushing the LPGA scores higher. Once those women get comfortable out there they are playing just as well as they would in casual rounds, if not better.

Put the women out there in the "amateur" tournament, without their typical weekly preparation and without their caddie. You really think they'd score lower carrying their own bag in a different environment just because there's no money on the line??

• Like 1

Give everyone in Obee's crew a professional caddie, practice rounds, and the course in the best condition it will be in all year...then we can start comparing apples to apples.

I agree it's not a perfect comparison. But I don't think there is some mythical pressure that is pushing the LPGA scores higher. Once those women get comfortable out there they are playing just as well as they would in casual rounds, if not better.

We actually get that all of that. :-)

We usually get solid Wilshire caddies.

We all get to play at least one practice round.

The course will be in great, tournament shape. Nearly identical to this week, if previous years are any indication... :-)

The course will be in great, tournament shape. Nearly identical to this week, if previous years are any indication... :-)

Well that's fantastic. Should be a great week.

I'd still like to see how the ladies do with no caddie and without spending Monday-Wednesday doing nothing but mentally and physically preparing for the tournament.

All I'm saying is it's not fair to focus exclusively on some added pressure the women may feel playing for money, while ignoring the many luxuries that come with playing on the LPGA Tour.

• Like 1

I'd still like to see how the ladies do with no caddie and without spending Monday-Wednesday doing nothing but mentally and physically preparing for the tournament.

All I'm saying is it's not fair to focus exclusively on some added pressure the women may feel playing for money, while ignoring the many luxuries that come with playing on the LPGA Tour.

What is "fair"? I thought the idea was to play against LPGA Tour players? If you start making exceptions, or adding conditions, it defeats the purpose of the exercise.

What is "fair"? I thought the idea was to play against LPGA Tour players? If you start making exceptions, or adding conditions, it defeats the purpose of the exercise.

You realize we won't be playing WITH them, right? Same course, month later, same tourney conditions, green speeds, etc. We will play similar length or a touch longer.

I was referring specifically to Kenny Lee Puckett's statements that playing for money/in a pro tournament is more difficult than playing for "fun"/in an amateur tournament.

As far as the actual scenario, there's nothing I can do to change it so I'm not sure what you are saying.

Take a look at the current leaderboard. Most of your guys are not going to break park. Min Jee Lee shot 5 under today. Not even close like Sean said. :D

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Take a look at the current leaderboard. Most of your guys are not going to break park. Min Jee Lee shot 5 under today. Not even close like Sean said. :D

That's tied for the low score of the tourney, I believe, right?

Lowest I've seen anyone shoot on their own ball is 64 by a solid +2/+3 a few years ago. 4(?) years ago (right before turning pro) Patrick Cantlay played (with his father) and shot 68, 66, 73, if memory serves.

My guess is that the average score of my "group" of buddies on agg day will be right around the LPGA field average, somewhere around 74ish.

LOL, next time my wife compares me to anything cave man (which could be tomorrow) I'm showing her your post - thanks for getting me off the hook!

LOL, next time my wife compares me to anything cave man (which could be tomorrow) I'm showing her your post - thanks for getting me off the hook!

Are you saying my post is antiquated/sexist somehow?

I would say the same thing about PGA Tour players or guys trying to make it on the Web.com . . .

It's just a practical fact, regardless of gender.

Spouses usually share income and help provide for one another. Why do you have to misconstrue it?

I would say the same thing about PGA Tour players or guys trying to make it on the Web.com . . .

Spouses usually share income and help provide for one another. Why do you have to misconstrue it?

Guess I misunderstood the suggestion that the womens' wealthy husbands mitigated against any of the hardships of making a living on the tour.

So much for my free pass.

Guess I misunderstood the suggestion that the womens' wealthy husbands mitigated against any of the hardships of making a living on the tour.

So much for my free pass.

Sorry, I guess I can see how it could be interpreted that way.

I just meant in the most literal way, that there may be a number of LPGA Tour players who are not worried about their basic needs because they have support from a sponsor or spouse in addition to their own income.

I am sure there are many many many male mini tour and web.com who have relied extensively on their significant other to pay the bills while they pursue a career that isn't always consistent in providing income.

It isn't a gender issue to me . . . it's a person pursuing an entrepreneurial type endeavor while their spouse may have a more stable job.