2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Dear blade,

IIvudooII

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "I'm ready for blades" thread commonly comes from the 10-15 handicap crowd. That's the point in golf where scores start to come down some and decent shots can be strung together. For some reason, it's the dream of most every serious golfer to put a set of blades in the bag. I was there at one point. I lost a year of competitive high school golf and junior tournaments trying to play Mizuno MP29s. They were the most beautiful clubs I've ever laid eyes on but my scores started to go the wrong way. My dad finally convinced me to stop trying to play them, get the 962s out of the closet, and get serious about practicing. I'm glad he did. I tried the experiment again my second year in college. Titleist 670s. Another beautiful set of clubs. My game went downhill again at a time when I needed it to be propped up. I played a set of Taylormade RAC LTs my senior year and hit it much better. Out of college and into the working world I had two sets of combo irons. Titleist 735s and Taylormade MC/MBs. The short iron blades aren't nearly the issue as the long clubs so I played some great golf with both of those sets. I put the AP2s in the bag a few years ago and have been really really happy with them. Bent the lofts weaker on most of the clubs so they fly similar to more traditional irons but still have forgiveness. I personally believe in forgiveness. Mishits with the long irons in MBs and CBs have convinced me. A well struck shot feels pretty good and so does a mishit that still gets on the green or over the water. Some people play blades because they truly lower scores. Some play them because they like the way they look and/or feel. Others play them for ego. Whatever your reason, play what you like. I will stay in the camp of lower scores > cool clubs. It works for me.

P.S. There are a lot of people with black cats in their profile photos and that got confusing at times.

-The guy with a white dog in his profile pic.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

P.S. There are a lot of people with black cats in their profile photos and that got confusing at times.

I'm the guy with two black cats and shorter posts. DeNinny is the one with one black cat and the scroll marathon posts. Hehe.

P.S. I actually have three black cats.

The "I'm ready for blades" thread commonly comes from the 10-15 handicap crowd. That's the point in golf where scores start to come down some and decent shots can be strung together. For some reason, it's the dream of most every serious golfer to put a set of blades in the bag. I was there at one point. I lost a year of competitive high school golf and junior tournaments trying to play Mizuno MP29s. They were the most beautiful clubs I've ever laid eyes on but my scores started to go the wrong way. My dad finally convinced me to stop trying to play them, get the 962s out of the closet, and get serious about practicing. I'm glad he did. I tried the experiment again my second year in college. Titleist 670s. Another beautiful set of clubs. My game went downhill again at a time when I needed it to be propped up. I played a set of Taylormade RAC LTs my senior year and hit it much better. Out of college and into the working world I had two sets of combo irons. Titleist 735s and Taylormade MC/MBs. The short iron blades aren't nearly the issue as the long clubs so I played some great golf with both of those sets. I put the AP2s in the bag a few years ago and have been really really happy with them. Bent the lofts weaker on most of the clubs so they fly similar to more traditional irons but still have forgiveness. I personally believe in forgiveness. Mishits with the long irons in MBs and CBs have convinced me. A well struck shot feels pretty good and so does a mishit that still gets on the green or over the water. Some people play blades because they truly lower scores. Some play them because they like the way they look and/or feel. Others play them for ego. Whatever your reason, play what you like. I will stay in the camp of lower scores > cool clubs. It works for me.

I really think with the advent of hybrids folks can play the new blades in a 6 or 7-PW set. But on the flip side, I periodically play with a guy who has a set of Adams irons that ALL look like hybrids....most every shot is straight at his target. People make comments behind his back to me like "who couldn't play well with all hybrids?". My response is "so you like being 18 strokes behind on #14?"

I really think with the advent of hybrids folks can play the new blades in a 6 or 7-PW set. But on the flip side, I periodically play with a guy who has a set of Adams irons that ALL look like hybrids....most every shot is straight at his target. People make comments behind his back to me like "who couldn't play well with all hybrids?". My response is "so you like being 18 strokes behind on #14?"

So true. It really comes down to preference, and what makes you think or feel like you can score better.

I've had pretty much a full set of blades in the bag for about 13 years now, and haven't ever thought about kicking them out. But then, I'm one of those weirdos who finds them easier to hit than the set of CB's I have previously (TM 300 Forged).

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I currently play a set of Titleist AP3's but also own a set of Bridgestone 2015 Limited J15MB Blade Iron's with KBS C-Taper shafts in them, to me they are beautiful clubs, you just feel and look better carrying them around the course lol. Every once and awhile I pull them out and shoot a good round in the 70's and think "why don't I play these all the time". Then I'll play them again and hit a seven iron off the toe on a 155 yard par three and land 20 yards short of the green in the water and I remember why I don't ha-ha.

I told a friend that either you have the hand-eye coordination to play blades well, or you don't. He doesn't, and scores better (and enjoys his round more) with GI clubs. Nothing wrong with that.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Kinda like a Camry vs a Mercedes. Both will take you from point A to B reliably. Some like the style and performance from the Mercedes better.

I told a friend that either you have the hand-eye coordination to play blades well, or you don't. He doesn't, and scores better (and enjoys his round more) with GI clubs.

These two posts sum up the blade lovers perspective perfectly.

/thread :sleep:

BTW, in case someone didn't catch it, my post here has a sarcastic echo intended in reference to the smugness of the above posts (no offence intended).

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

People get bent on all kinds of ideas that seem to be against the grain or not cool enough. I once had someone on here tell me I had no "creativity" because I carry a lob wedge. :rolleyes:

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

People get bent on all kinds of ideas that seem to be against the grain or not cool enough. I once had someone on here tell me I had no "creativity" because I carry a lob wedge. :rolleyes:

Yawn, boring....

I play blades because I hit them straighter then GI clubs with more offset. I have had sets of both and I get very crooked with GI clubs. The lack of forgiveness is a trade off. Although I play mizuno mp 5’s which are nothing like blades of yesterday. They are truly a modern blade simply because of the size of them.

I think I had just got a set of tm burner plus irons and I was starting to visit golfwrx a lot when I decided "hey, I think I'm ready for blades now". So I ended up finding a set of MP-14's in decent condition AND... promptly got rid of them after only a couple range sessions and rounds. I still love forged irons but will only buy cavity back versions due to never having the consistency to hit at or near the sweet spot every time. Actually, my irons have gotten so bad recently that I bought a cheap set of ping g10 irons so I can at least hit from the fairways a couple of times per round. Flushing forged blades sounds great in theory but can be a whole different story in practice without you know... practicing

Dear Blade,

How art thy love? You're a hussy at the ball with your sexy lines and come hither looks, but your my hussy., They cast dispersion on thy name though your dispersion remains world class. They say you are not forgiving but they forget that you always tell the truth. They call us vain but you teach humility.They mention your cruelty but never mention your gifts. They say your harsh but ignore your soft touch.They say no one uses you anymore but they fail to look back at major history or even Fed Ex standings. They besmirch and denigrate your existence only to validate the love of another. If you cannot forgive my toed and thinned #5, at the very least forgive them

S{h}anctimoniously yours,

Dear Blade,

How art thy love? You're a hussy at the ball with your sexy lines and come hither looks, but your my hussy., They cast dispersion on thy name though your dispersion remains world class. They say you are not forgiving but they forget that you always tell the truth. They call us vain but you teach humility.They mention your cruelty but never mention your gifts. They say your harsh but ignore your soft touch.They say no one uses you anymore but they fail to look back at major history or even Fed Ex standings. They besmirch and denigrate your existence only to validate the love of another. If you cannot forgive my toed and thinned #5, at the very least forgive them

At least you’re honest (and funny) and not spouting some ridiculous pseudo science in attempt to validate your choice in golf clubs. So you got that going for you, which is nice :-)

Ping G400 @ 10.5° (Ping Tour 65S)

Ping G400 5 wood @ 16.5° (Ping Alta CB 65S)

Ping G410 7 wood @ 20° (Ping Tour 75X)

Titleist 818H2 @ 22° (PX 6.0)

Ping i210 PowerSpec 5-U (DG S300)

Titleist SM7 54° F / 60° K (DG S200)

Ping Heppler Floki

Titleist ProV1x/AVX

Dear Blade,

Brilliant.

$0.02::

- I don’t care what you play. I only want you to be aware enough to play fast no matter how well you hit the ball.

- A well-fitting shaft is far more important than, and the most significant determinant of, the most appropriate head for any given golfer. It’s incredible how differently shafts can play in different heads; what fits one style head may not fit another.

- Head design is far too complex to categorize into two main types and split all golfers into those based on handicap.

- Nard’s post is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

$0.02::

- I don't care what you play. I only want you to be aware enough to play fast no matter how well you hit the ball.

- A well-fitting shaft is far more important than, and the most significant determinant of, the most appropriate head for any given golfer. It's incredible how differently shafts can play in different heads; what fits one style head may not fit another.

- Head design is far too complex to categorize into two main types and split all golfers into those based on handicap.

- Nard's post is one of the best I've ever seen.

Yeah, so agree......shaft profile gross mass and SW is 75% of secret sauce to a great stick. Lot of care is needed to find the flavor, seasoning that works with "the meat" of head. Your swing changes and melds to a club for better and worse so you need to know where you are and where you want to go. That can take a lot of time to figure out.

I couldn’t agree more, Nard.

Slice, I agree, but Nard’s last point is important - it takes time; a fitting or two might eliminate many things, but has never answered all the questions for me.

I agree. It takes a lot of time to get the combo right and an hour isn’t enough for me. I know that there are a lot of factors that make up variance in ball flight so it takes a while to get a decent read on a setup.

It also seems that once I figured out a range of shaft weight that works that the shaft is pretty able with any head.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I feel like if I were to make a shaft change I'd study it over a period of time as well. I was thinking I'd go in for the fitting and try some and then come back a few times just to hit a few on the top contenders to see what shook out. I'm happy with my S300 so far, but I'd be very cautious about a change.