How Do You "Beat The Heat"

I like to walk and carry my clubs even when it is 100 or there about. I wear light colored loose fitting shirts and a light colored hat. I try to stay in the shade as much as possible and drink as much water as i can when playing. Most of the time a Marshal will be stopping by groups periodically with cold water in a cooler.

Sunscreen and for me long pants ( never was a shorts kind of guy since I grew up in Buffalo,NY and lived there 50 years ).

I can relate to all the other suggestions . Use what you are comfortable with and be willing to try something different. You might find it beneficial.

My playing partners think I am nuts walking when they are in carts but I find the game more enjoyable and less rushed if I walk.

I recently had my once a year (roughly) round played in a cart and swore "never again". Some hot day next summer I'll probably forget and hop on again but it just isn't the same experience. I'd honestly rather just wait for a day when it's cool enough to walk.

It didn't help that the guy who was driving this time was a "Point A to Point B" guy. By which I mean, point the cart to where you want to be, floor it and don't let off until you get there. Roots, cracks in the cart path, side slopes be damned it's full speed ahead. Not that he drove where it roped off for no carts or up to the greens or anything but some of those trips through the edge of the woods looking for a ball were back-breaking.

Maybe at least next time I lose my senses and get a cart I'll remember to be the one driving...

Liking the suggestions on here.

- Light color AND light material clothing

- Wide brim or full hat vs. cap

- UV sleeves (I'm 50/50 on these, yes they cover you from direct sun contact but you're adding layers to your arms....)

- Cold towel around neck (although if you're in a humid area, not sure that works as well as dry heat)

My 2 favorite things about playing in heat

- Ball really travels a long way (again, I'm sure the dry weather helps more than humid)

- Too hot to be upset about a bad shot! (subjective, but I swear I don't let bad shots affect me as much)

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

If you play in the heat, hydrate, sunscreen and embrace it. Remember everyone is playing in same conditions, not just you. I also try to wear lighter colors. I love playing in the heat, cold, rain and fog. I embrace it with zest.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 2 weeks later...

Good breakfast, Hydrate, some beef jerky during the round, & a Five Hour energy shot right before the turn. Sometimes I do get a tad jittery on the greens, but the trade off is worth it. I feel better physically afterwards. 100 deg heat index with 90% humidity will zap you down here. Once you run out of gas you’re done.

are you guys drinking the whole liter of pedialite or sipping on it over the round?

I don't drink Pedialyte liquid during the round, I use the little single serve packets that go in 16 oz water bottle. I save the whole quart bottle for after dinner before I go to bed to give my body time to replenish.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

pedialilyte makes tablets? or just that nuun stuff i read.on here.

thanks for the response

Pedialyte make a granular/powder mix in a couple flavors. I prefer the powder mixes because they are low in sugar and can keep packets easily in the bag when needed. Perfect for 16oz water bottles, I keep a TemperCraft 22oz insulated bottle with me at all times and is perfect for keeping the mix cold too with ice.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

My problem with electrolyte replenishment is it’s damnably hard to find electrolyte sources without sugar. Gatorade/Powerade stuff is ubiquitous but that stuff is soda pop. Even Pedialyte is heavily sweetened. And I don’t want artificial sweeteners by any means.

I’d also prefer less sodium and more potassium and magnesium, being chronically sodium-sensitive and potassium deficient.

So I stick to water during a round and try to get my electrolytes by careful food choices once I get home. At the golf course or at typical eating places it’s too easy to ingest a bunch of harmful crap while getting moderate amounts of electrolytes.

We've walked 18 3x in the last month with effective temps of 106. As others have said, hydration starts the night before with at least an extra quart to half gallon of water. It all depends on how much you can stand getting up to pee during the night. I also freeze two quarts of Powerade Zero with a bit of the fluid taken out so the bottle doesn't explode in the freezer. Also make sure the Frogg Toggs towel is in the bag. Basically, if you soak it in water, it'll provide a level of cooling for a few hours. Whenever possible, we re-wet them with as cold of water as possible and we walk with it wrapped around our necks. Makes a huge difference..

Also have a Takeya 40 ounce water bottle that is partially filled with ice overnight and then water in the morning. The ice will stay throughout the round for refill purposes.

Before the round, between 9's SPF 30-50 sunscreen is applied. And don't laugh but I use it on the way home as well as a moisturizer. Even though I'm 60, people say I have the skin of a 59 year old.

If you're burned when you get home, use an aloe vera/lidocaine topical. Reapply as necessary.

Golf again and repeat as necessary.

My golf course has coolers every couple of holes, but I discovered that the water they provide, though ice cold, tastes like pool water. Because of that, I recently picked up a $20 two-pack of 40oz water bottles from Costco and put some ice in them along with water from home. I also put up the golf umbrella on my pushcart and walk in the shade all day. As everyone else said, light colors, no cotton. The last step is finding a wide-brim hat for my fat head.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

• 3 weeks later...

I put a few bananas in the freezer the night before and put all my hydration, whether its gatorade or vitamin water, in there as well. Not fun if you have to carry it though but it helps. I played a round a few weeks ago in 90 degrees weather but got to drive a cart so I Ioaded up a mini cooler with all my frozen goods. I also don't like to wear dark clothing or shorts. The heat and sun on your legs just heats up your body even more. I wear light colors with lightweight pants. My goto pants are the Bonobos Highland Lightweight golf pants. They're lighter than most I have that are considered lightweight and they have some stretch to them. I sometimes even bring a small, battery operated fan as well.

Dive in the water hazards to cool off, plus, you will get free balls!

But really drink a lot of water, bring a few extra "sweat rags" to keep your face clean. Bring a second hat or shirt to change into after the first 9 to freshen up. Wear good breathable socks, wool is best. I skip tucking in my shirt to get more airflow and stay cool. When its that hot everyone is sweaty and disgusting, no need to keep up appearances. Pour water on your head or your shirt to stay cool.

Hydration is key! I am in Louisiana and it's regularly 100 with lots of humidity. I drink tons of water but also add electrolyte tablets such as NUUN or other brands you can get at GNC. I noticed a huge difference when I added them. Also I like some sort of caffeine stimulant around the turn to pep me up for the back 9. No matter how much water you drink that kind of heat just zaps you. Light shoes that aren't waterproof, quality material shorts and shirts. No cotton anywhere!!! Sweat wicking socks and underwear are crucial, bucket hat. I don't give a damn what it looks like. It keeps the sun off my ears and neck.

Right! Definitely don't try to power through all 18 without some sort of nutrition.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Hydration is key! I am in Louisiana and it's regularly 100 with lots of humidity. I drink tons of water but also add electrolyte tablets such as NUUN or other brands you can get at GNC. I noticed a huge difference when I added them. Also I like some sort of caffeine stimulant around the turn to pep me up for the back 9. No matter how much water you drink that kind of heat just zaps you. Light shoes that aren't waterproof, quality material shorts and shirts. No cotton anywhere!!! Sweat wicking socks and underwear are crucial, bucket hat. I don't give a damn what it looks like. It keeps the sun off my ears and neck.

Right! Definitely don't try to power through all 18 without some sort of nutrition.

Beer is super nutritious!

Always carry spare gloves and a towel. Other than that, provided you don't get dehydrated it's mental. If you think it's unbearably hot it'll be unbearably hot.

That said, the wardrobe is crucial. A lot of golf shirts are too heavy for properly hot weather even when they're advertised as having 'wicking' properties. You want the absolute lightest weight shirts you can find. Most of my buddies wear standard golf caps and have no problem, but I like a wide straw hat to keep the sun off the tops of my ears (too many years in the tropics). A straw had lets the breeze through too.

But like I said, mostly it's a mental thing.

Always carry spare gloves and a towel. Other than that, provided you don't get dehydrated it's mental. If you think it's unbearably hot it'll be unbearably hot.

That said, the wardrobe is crucial. A lot of golf shirts are too heavy for properly hot weather even when they're advertised as having 'wicking' properties. You want the absolute lightest weight shirts you can find. Most of my buddies wear standard golf caps and have no problem, but I like a wide straw hat to keep the sun off the tops of my ears (too many years in the tropics). A straw had lets the breeze through too.

Good point about the heavy material. I have mistakenly bought shirts from time to time that do indeed wick the moisture, it isn't like they stay wet all day as a cotton shirt would do, but even as they are wicking the damp material is just heavy and miserable and keeps any air from reaching my torso.

For me another problem is wicking shirts, even lightweight ones, that are too loose. Lots of floppy material traps air underneath. I don't like compression-tight shirts but something reasonably form fitting of the lightest possible synthetic wicking material is optimum.

I have one golf shirt that I'm almost embarrassed to wear now because after nearly two full summers it is faded and a bit nicked up. But it is very snug fitting without feeling restrictive, the material is ultra-thin and it's a Sea Foam color almost as cool in the sun as white but without the dreaded nipples-and-chest-hair-showing-through look. I'm going to keep using it, ugly or not, through August then it gets retired.

My problem with electrolyte replenishment is it’s damnably hard to find electrolyte sources without sugar. Gatorade/Powerade stuff is ubiquitous but that stuff is soda pop. Even Pedialyte is heavily sweetened. And I don’t want artificial sweeteners by any means.

I’d also prefer less sodium and more potassium and magnesium, being chronically sodium-sensitive and potassium deficient.

So I stick to water during a round and try to get my electrolytes by careful food choices once I get home. At the golf course or at typical eating places it’s too easy to ingest a bunch of harmful crap while getting moderate amounts of electrolytes.

I stopped drinking Gatorade a while ago. I use SaltStick capsules and drink lots of water, take one about every 15-30 minutes when I'm really sweating. I used to cramp up by the end of the round, never do that when using my Saltsticks. http://saltstick.com/product/saltstick-caps/ Caps_low-e1464911625937.jpg

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

When I was in high school it was received wisdom from every coach in every sport that during hot weather it would make you sick to drink water during practice. They'd encourage the players to suck down salt tablets instead of hydrating. It's a miracle the players weren't dropping dead like flies.

Good point about the heavy material.

To be honest it's fundamental. Here in Thailand, I would say that outside of a month or two of winter we play our golf in temperatures of between 90 -100 Fahrenheit pretty much year round. And a lot of that time it's humid too. Lightweight clothing is an absolute must. Get it right and you can play no bother. Get it wrong and your round will be an absolute torment.

Played 36 riding yesterday and it was 97* with about mid 70% humidity. Preparation is key and if you don’t prepare the day before, you’ll never make it. At least two gallons of water the day before. As soon as you wake up, no less than 30 ounces of water with electrolyte powder mixed in. I use propel fitness water packets. Try and get down at least 60 ounces in before tee off and no soda. If you’re drinking, switch to a one beer, one water rule. If allowed, I bring my own bag cooler filled with ice to dunk the towels and keep a gallon jug of water. Never rely on the course to have water because by hole 27, all the coolers on the course were empty. Light, healthy snacks regularly throughout the day.

Light colored polyester clothes only and light fabric style shoes and a breathable hat. Frog togg style towels for yourself and playing partner because they will surely not have one. Umbrella and battery operated fans for when your sitting. I bring two, one that’s clipped to the frame on the cart and a handheld one that mists. I felt great the whole day and I never let the heat beat me down. My playing partners on the other hand were struggling but I could’ve easily played another 18.

Im not surprised, i dont take that lot if im going camping! :taunt:

Try body armor drink. Haven’t finished reading everything so idk if this has been mentioned yet but I love this stuff