How Do You "Beat The Heat"

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, and it probably won't be popular, but getting fitter is a great way to deal with the heat or any other kind of stress. I've found that when I'm in peak condition, the heat doesn't bother me as much, but that's probably because I'm doing so much running in that same heat.

Srixon Z355 - Miyazaki
Taylormade V-Steel 4-wood
Taylormade V-Steel 7-wood
Adams CB3 - KBS Tour 90
Wilson Staff FG TC 56/60
Yes Callie - bunch of lead tape on the bottom

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, and it probably won't be popular, but getting fitter is a great way to deal with the heat or any other kind of stress. I've found that when I'm in peak condition, the heat doesn't bother me as much, but that's probably because I'm doing so much running in that same heat.

Yea temperature varies for some people.

OK here is my UTD how to play in florida heat/humidity (90+ temp and humidity) especially if your like me and a sweaty pig:

shower pre game

deodorant everywhere

Gold bond stick in groin and heals (for blister prevention)

Gold bond spray in groin area

good performance underwear, shorts, socks, and shirt; I will bring a back up of everything and may change shirt at 9...

three towels: one ice cold for body hand wipe downs, one for club cleaning, one dry for wipe downs

cord grips and a rain glove; otherwise I need to rotate 5 regular gloves, f that

bucket hat

if u walk: push cart with umbrella up for sun protection

drink LOTS of water W/ electrolytes

eat something for energy

take a cold shower right after the round and drink a beer :)

tried sun sleeves and felt it made me hotter....

I know for me, this make a huge difference, mostly probably from carrying less weight around. I went from 250-260 pounds last year down to about 195 now, and I am sweating way way less this year. The flip side is l now feel like I'm freezing at work at the office....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Hydration is key! I am in Louisiana and it's regularly 100 with lots of humidity. I drink tons of water but also add electrolyte tablets such as NUUN or other brands you can get at GNC. I noticed a huge difference when I added them. Also I like some sort of caffeine stimulant around the turn to pep me up for the back 9. No matter how much water you drink that kind of heat just zaps you. Light shoes that aren't waterproof, quality material shorts and shirts. No cotton anywhere!!! Sweat wicking socks and underwear are crucial, bucket hat. I don't give a damn what it looks like. It keeps the sun off my ears and neck.

NUUN and Pedialyte! You have to also make sure you have plenty to eat and dont deplete your glycogen levels. You will wilt like a dead flower if you dont keep yourself hydrated and EAT.

Agree! Stay in shape as best you can and or play more often.

OK here is my UTD how to play in florida heat/humidity (90+ temp and humidity) especially if your like me and a sweaty pig:

shower pre game

deodorant everywhere

Gold bond stick in groin and heals (for blister prevention)

Gold bond spray in groin area

good performance underwear, shorts, socks, and shirt; I will bring a back up of everything and may change shirt at 9...

three towels: one ice cold for body hand wipe downs, one for club cleaning, one dry for wipe downs

cord grips and a rain glove; otherwise I need to rotate 5 regular gloves, f that

bucket hat

if u walk: push cart with umbrella up for sun protection

drink LOTS of water W/ electrolytes

eat something for energy

take a cold shower right after the round and drink a beer :)

tried sun sleeves and felt it made me hotter....

I live in upstate SC and I agree with 99% of this. All except the deodorant/antiperspirant everywhere. Putting it on my thighs made my legs break out something awful so that was lesson learned. Was a super humid day and I was sweating a lot. I found the gold bond baby powder with cornstarch and zinc oxide works better on legs and body. Cadesene also makes something pretty much the same.

One of those "stay cool" towels. Frog togg is the name. That thing is great for the heat

[b]WITB:[/b][list]
[*][b]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero - [/b]HZRDUS Smoke Black
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly 5w - [/b]Diamana S+ 70 Blueboard X
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2I - [/b]Matrix 105h3 Black Tie X
[*][b]Titleist 714 MB/CB 4-PW - [/b]DG AMTX100
[*][b]Nike Engage 50, 54, 58 - [/b]DGS400
[*][b]Lajosi DD201[/b]
[/list]

One of those "stay cool" towels. Frog togg is the name. That thing is great for the heat

Agreed, but down here where the humidity is as high as the temperature, they don't stay cool for long. I like to keep one around my neck/tucked into my shirt collar and re-apply ice/water every hole or two.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Agreed, but down here where the humidity is as high as the temperature, they don't stay cool for long. I like to keep one around my neck/tucked into my shirt collar and re-apply ice/water every hole or two.

Yeah, I had that problem Sunday. Dew point was up around 76 plus we were playing in the morning while the grass was still wet from overnight irrigation. My usual wet microfiber towel to cool down my face and neck would just turn into a clammy warm mess about two minutes after I resoaked it in cold water. No evaporative cooling whatsoever. We could just feel the sun forcing waves of dampness out of the grass.

Hydration is the key. I've had good luck with Nuun tablets for the electrylytes too (no sugar). Typically drink one bottle of water with Nuun and the next without. Depending on how hot it is I'll drink 6-7 bottles of water during the round and try to eat a little as well (at least a granola bar). But I've also read that you shouldn't drink too much as you can damage your kidneys. I've heard that you should drink at least once or twice each hole and ultimately if you aren't peeing then you haven't had enough water. Stay away from coffee, tea and alcohol as well. And if it's just too hot, stay at home. I played this past weekend and it was in the 90's and super humid and drank water as noted above and was fine (although I sweated thru 2 hats and shirts). And don't forget the sunscreen and sunglasses too. My thoughts at least.

• 11 months later...

Hmm...well. Prehyrdrate. Drink a 32 oz yeti of water. Beer me. Drink another thing of water. Beer me. Beer me again. Another 32 oz water.

Hopefully take a leak at the turn. That means you're still pretty hydrated. Hotdog. Chug water. Beer me. Likely finish 5th beer on the way in on 18. Chug the water again. Clubhouse, cold wet towel, rinse off. Finish 6th and final beer.

Drink water on the way home - naptime. But more often "honey do."

I wear sunscreen (sunburn makes dehydration worse), loose climachill or thin shirt, light colors. Ultimate 360 shorts, typically trucker style hat (mesh doesn't keep heat like other hats), always sunglasses. It's upper 90s with 100+ heat index. Less beers with 100+ but low mid nineties, start with a 6er....

Oh yeah, koozie. That's crucial.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Most people who exercise in hot weather are concerned about not drinking enough water. However, drinking too much water can also be dangerous. **Hyponatremia** is a condition in which sodium levels become dangerously low. If your electrolytes drop too low too quickly, it can be dangerous. One of my golf buddies ended up in a coma in just such a situation. Therefore, it's prudent to use some type of electrolyte supplement when hydrating in hot weather.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

The pharmacies in Vegas sell Adult Electrolyte solution. They have 100s of bottles of it. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-electrolyte-solution-lemon-lime/ID=prod6374568-product

I will use a packet of Sqwincher in a water bottle if it's going to be over 110 in Vegas.

At least one and no more than two beers after playing.

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> The pharmacies in Vegas sell Adult Electrolyte solution. They have 100s of bottles of it. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-electrolyte-solution-lemon-lime/ID=prod6374568-product

>

> I will use a packet of Sqwincher in a water bottle if it's going to be over 110 in Vegas.

>

> At least one and no more than two beers after playing.

>

>

What a great idea, will definitely pick up some of those. Friday was a squelcher, miserable. It was hot at work all day inside the hangar, then go and play 18? Somehow we did it, but I am still sore from that one.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

> @dcmidnight said:

> payerasjl wrote:

>

>

>

> Hydration is key, and by that i mean way before your round. The night before, chug plenty of water.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Really surprised at how many people sleep on this fact. When I trained to run a marathon, the trainer would tell us if you start to feel dehydrated and your body is exhibiting symptoms of dehydration - its too late, you are already dehydrated. Chugging water at that point is going to have very limited or even potentially adverse affects.

>

>

>

> People always say drink during the round, which is great. But also eat something. Personally I think the greatest golf snack are the Smuckers Uncrustables PB+J sandwiches. They are frozen and perfect for sticking in your bag. If I'm playing a tournament and I know its going to be slow out, I'll eat one after the 5th/6th hole and one @ the 12th.

>

>

>

> BTW I walk all summer in DC temps. Push cart with the unbrella up, its definitely manageable.

The uncrustables are great for “instant” energy but don’t forget about a bag or two of nuts to get you through the come down from the sugar in the jelly. When it’s that hot outside, it really makes a difference. Also, start drinking water the night before.

As far as staying cool goes... I’m not ashamed to bring my usb/ battery fan with me to scrambles. I have NEVER had a partner say no to using one in the cart. Makes a huge difference.

Agree with staying hydrated.

Find shade whenever you can.

I found a big help was appropriate clothing, which will certainly be more expensive than your Target specials....but you will not be drowning in your own sweat all day

- Lightweight, quick drying shorts like Linksoul Boardwalkers, Bonobos, etc

- Comfortable athletic underwear such as Adidas Climalite Boxer briefs

- Wool socks, Darn Tough T4088

- Light, cooling polo shirts like Nike Dri-Fit, Adidas Ultimate 365

- A lighter weight hat

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

High humidity is worse than the higher temperature to me.

Hydration is recommended by almost everyone, the PH balance of your body is the key to keep your body health. You can research on this topic.

If the golf course is not busy, try to take a break between the 9s.

I always play at the first light of the day in the Summer, get it done before 10 A.M ( sometime before 9 A.M.) .

> @Augster said:

> Please stop saying “high humidity”. Humidity is a silly barometer of heat and feel.

>

> Use the Dew Point instead. You can have 90% humidity at both a 56 degree dew point and a 73 degree dew point at 90*F. I know which I’d rather play in.

Why would we use the term dew point? 99.9% of everyone knows exactly what somebody means when they say "hot and humid". No one is trying to argue which day is really hotter, they are just saying when it's hot AND humid feeling, it sucks. Even you know what hot and humid means, despite your objections to the terminology. Come on, you might be right, but use some common sense. If you know exactly what they are saying why are you correcting them?

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the heat index was over 110 in Houston this afternoon. The temp was only 93. The reason it feels so hot: the humidity prevents your body from properly regulating body heat through perspiration.

So the answer is simple. Don't play in that kind of heat index. Drinking water the night before helps obv. But if your body can't sweat right, then you are at risk for heat stroke no matter how hydrated you are.

I was supposed to tee off at noon today. I canceled. Not worth it. Tomorrow, I play in the morning when it's cooler.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.