What is with the Hating on the USGA?

InTheHole

OMG. Well, as the person who posed the question and started the thread, I can say, officially, "I get it."

I get that the US Open is supposed to be amazingly difficult, but there's a point where players can't play. They went past that point yesterday. Phil may have been on a borderline also, but I totally get what he did in the moment.

Tough situation for everyone... but I blame a few others also... namely the golf course superintendent who was interviewed on the golf channel and pretty much guaranteed that, through "science and hard data," 2004 could never happen again. Well, as a trained engineer, I know that when you make a blanket guarantee like that, it is doomed to failure. Hope he learned a lesson.

How do you fix this stuff? I dunno- maybe you take the USGA out of running tournaments and leave that to the PGA for pros. I think they do a great job on the rules for a game that is amazingly complicated. They should stick to that end of things and get out of running tournaments.

Somewhere, Tiger Woods is relaxing on his yacht saying, "Thank god I missed the cut!"

Again I say; the Masters, and almost every regular PGA Tour stop is set up for (a) regular, annual events and (b) titles that are far less than a national championship.

The US Open is, by design and intent, something very different. (And so too the Open Championship and the Scottish Open.)

I don't know if it was my suggestion to do a poll on this that prompted you to do it, but I am thankful and appreciative that you did it, no matter where the idea came from.

What we're seeing is popular opinion almost evenly -- and hotly -- divided. And that is what I expected. I wish I knew of a clear ruling in this case and I don't.

I see lots of complaining about things like the anchoring rule. I have always thought that it was a ridiculous practice that had no place in golf, but it is just not easy to put into words. The USGA has the task of putting ruling intent into writing and then enforcing it in practice. It is not easy.

Nothing to say about Saturdays carnage ? Not ONE birdie on 15 yesterday. Best players in the world and not 1 birdie! But, I'm sure you think it was just "a good test". I really didn't think the USGA would screw this one up with all the scrutiny they were under but when the main focus is on the governing body and the course, it's a big Word not allowed FAIL.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the course on Thursday and Friday was set up properly, the scores were around par and it appeared to be a tough but fair challenge. On Saturday afternoon, it was a joke and this is why people hate the USGA. The USGA tried to make it even tougher for the weekend and they lost it in the afternoon.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The US Open is the ultimate test in golf, it's not the PGA Championship, winning this actually used to mean something until Erin Hills.

This is how the US Open is supposed to be. 2008 was the classic IMO.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

The US Open is the ultimate test in golf, it's not the PGA Championship, winning this actually used to mean something until Erin Hills.

2008 wasnt baked out of control at all... watch tigers approach to 18.. wedge spun from the rough... watch his eagle putt across the green day 3... lol not even close to same thing US open has always been long rough.. tight fairways and fast greens.. Only on some courses do we get Baked and dead.. The usga has killed greens to the point pf needing to be resurfaced before ... They were getting there yesterday .. No the US open is not always like this

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Everyone except obviously the USGA knows that Shinnecock is a brutal course that doesn't need to be tricked up. The powers that be always try to out think themselves and end up looking stupid. They take a great course and make it almost unplayable. Today they will slow it down and after it's over they will puff out their chest and call it a great championship.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

The USGA has good intentions but routinely botches the execution. Everything is done by committee and it reeks of appeasement. The anchoring ban is a perfect example. As is the course setup from Saturday to Sunday at Shinnecock.

Not to mention the groove ban. I bet even 15th would agree that was a fiasco.

All i heard the hating on usga is how n why the best of world pros cannot hold their approaches n have to 3 putt some of the hole and ended up with a double/tripple borge.

Golf shouldnt be as easy n simple as back spins n one putt. Time to get real about golf these US open haters.

I remember last weekend when a buddy said he made a double borge. Somehow, it was a net skin.

The USGA has good intentions but routinely botches the execution. Everything is done by committee and it reeks of appeasement. The anchoring ban is a perfect example. As is the course setup from Saturday to Sunday at Shinnecock.

They have problems at the US Open quite often, and the always say they have learned from their mistakes, yet they keep making mistakes. To me, that just means they are stupid. The course superintendent should consult on all hole placements. He should be able to recognize questionable placements a lot easier than Mike Davis.

All i heard the hating on usga is how n why the best of world pros cannot hold their approaches n have to 3 putt some of the hole and ended up with a double/tripple borge.

Golf shouldnt be as easy n simple as back spins n one putt. Time to get real about golf these US open haters.

I like watching pros struggle to make par. But when the only way to do that is to make the greens like putting on a piece of burnt toast, where luck matters more than skill, then I don't like that. And the USGA has YEARS to figure out what to do with each course, not to mention notes from the previous 2-8 times the course has hosted the US Open. So why is there some screwup almost every year?

The USGA does a pretty good job on the local and state level and seems to do OK with the women's open but for some reason can't pull off a men's Open without some negative controversy.

Besides 13 & 15 the course was fine on Saturday. The greens were holding iron shots perfectly fine. It wasn't like they were bouncing or skipping irons off the greens. The complaining about 18, i don't get. The players knew how that green is shaped & they knew where the pin was going to be. If you somehow managed to hit it above pin high, then you should be punished/have a hard time making a two putt. There's no one to blame on that besides yourself. The pin on 15 was too close to the edge, I saw a couple putts and a decent bunker shot run off the green where they weren't bad enough shots to warrant that result.

This then lead to an overreaction by the spineless USGA on Sunday and it was way more get-able than the previous 3 days. Everyone of the top 5 had five to seven birdies throughout their round. I wish it was a little more consistently set up so that over the 4 days, it wasn't such a drastic change in set up.

Overall i thought it was a fine US Open and the best player this week won. He hit the shots and made the par putts when he had to.

• 7 months later...

The USGA is run by liberal progressives. I hate bringing politics into it but they took all tournaments away from Trump golf courses. Moved one WGC to Mexico and it seems every US Open is played in a blue state. They also invested money to help Latin America players by making a tour down their. Their thinking is to add color to the PGA tour.. The USGA sucks. Their tournament become the joke of the golfing world. By integrating the stupid going green think they ruined the US Open. Pinehurst #3 is an example. This has nothing to do with Haney opinion. It's just mine