New TM UDI

nic19

I'm excited for that Lo. Looking for something to replace my current 2i.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't see how any of the GAPR irons will be more beneficial to me than the P790 3i has been at the top of my bag.

they're fatter on the sole, adjustable (tends to feel worse to me) and otherwise look 'clunkier' at address.

yea that's a no for me dog.

It's pretty much the same as the old UDI that we play. The mid launch is better for mid caps but if you like the old UDI there isn't much reason to switch. You can adjust loft with it assuming you don't have anyone to bend irons. That's something I suppose a lot of people might find convenient.

i don't see how any of the GAPR irons will be more beneficial to me than the P790 3i has been at the top of my bag.

they're fatter on the sole, adjustable (tends to feel worse to me) and otherwise look 'clunkier' at address.

It's pretty much the same as the old UDI that we play. The mid launch is better for mid caps but if you like the old UDI there isn't much reason to switch. You can adjust loft with it assuming you don't have anyone to bend irons. That's something I suppose a lot of people might find convenient.

I would love to see/hear that comparison of the older UDI to a p790 non UDI 3 irons.

I would love to see/hear that comparison of the older UDI to a p790 non UDI 3 irons.

i gamed an older TP 3 Udi and currently game a P790, Non-UDI 3i -- i got more consistency, better feel and overall better performance with the P790 3i, with the same shaft.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

There is also a glued hosel Tour version of the GAPR Lo 2 iron that has 18* of loft. Here are a couple of them being tested for The Open this week.

Big turnoff to see all the nicks and paint already wearing off on it. And they've only begun testing it. Wonder how that will look after just half a season of use.

i gamed an older TP 3 Udi and currently game a P790, Non-UDI 3i -- i got more consistency, better feel and overall better performance with the P790 3i, with the same shaft.

Good info. Thank you!

I found the P790 3i to be the same as you. Trying to work out the top of my bag but I really like the 790 3i. Not sure of the shaft yet.

The P790 3 Iron is just a standard 3 iron within the set though. There's nothing "UDI" about it.

If you haven't it it, you should. It's very much a DI and pretty U too.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I found the P790 3i to be the same as you. Trying to work out the top of my bag but I really like the 790 3i. Not sure of the shaft yet.

I think if you went with a KBS proto hybrid or the tensei pro white -- you'd be happy.

and you're right, even tho it's a 'stock' 3i...it's pretty darn ultimate lol

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Tensei white hybrid has been awesome in my UDI 2 iron. I was hitting bombs with it yesterday at the range. I am going to have to crank down the loft of my fairway wood to work out my gapping in the top of my bag.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

I think if you went with a KBS proto hybrid or the tensei pro white -- you'd be happy.

I've got a KBS TGI 100 In there now and a TGI 95 in the UDI 3. (Got them before they realized they under charged for it). They are some good shafts (and not too pricey). VERY stable and you can get it to do just about anything including low bullets or high drop and stop. I also have a VC8.8TS with rescue tip I'm itching to try in the GAPR Lo

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

Thoughts on building just like rest of irons, instead of hybrid shaft? Pros/cons?

I built it based on my use, not based on the 'set' mentality. I wanted it lighter overall but with a stiffer shaft to handle aggressive swings, low launch and low spin.

Thoughts on building just like rest of irons, instead of hybrid shaft? Pros/cons?

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I built it based on my use, not based on the 'set' mentality. I wanted it lighter overall but with a stiffer shaft to handle aggressive swings, low launch and low spin.

Makes sense. Thanks for the replies. Good info.

Tensei white hybrid has been awesome in my UDI 2 iron. I was hitting bombs with it yesterday at the range. I am going to have to crank down the loft of my fairway wood to work out my gapping in the top of my bag.

I see so many people praising that shaft. I just wish they made the 100g model in a Stiff. I don't have the swing speed for TX. And I'd want something heavier than the 89g "90 Stiff" version.

One of the pros at my club has the P790 from 3-P and all the same setup. He isn't using it as a driving iron, just a regular 3i and has just the most buttery smooth swing. Ball takes off on the same trajectory every time.

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

For those who want to stick with the 790 2 iron i'm hearing almost every player on tour is jumping to the GAPR for increase MOI and ballspeed. I'm also hearing it's much better from the turf. This is a true driving iron whereas the 790 2 iron was a filler until this was ready.

you do realise it is a P790 iron which are very easy to hit, very long and forgiving.

I have had mine a month, hit it two times from the fairway - 290 downwind, Scottish links onto green. 245 Carry and stop, Houston weird soft grass.

I even hit one missing the grooves on the toe off the tee and it still went straight 220(links in Scotland, home course) I was shocked and sold then.

The new one might perform but it looks less like an Iron and there are lots very happy with the p790 UDI.

Defensive much? I'm passing along the info i got from a friend in the tour van circles. TM guys almost unanimously bailed on the 790 UDI for the GAPR because it's literally better in every category. Again not my opinion just what i'm told and by the looks of it the information is very accurate.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

For those who want to stick with the 790 2 iron i'm hearing almost every player on tour is jumping to the GAPR for increase MOI and ballspeed. I'm also hearing it's much better from the turf. This is a true driving iron whereas the 790 2 iron was a filler until this was ready.

you do realise it is a P790 iron which are very easy to hit, very long and forgiving.

I have had mine a month, hit it two times from the fairway - 290 downwind, Scottish links onto green. 245 Carry and stop, Houston weird soft grass.

I even hit one missing the grooves on the toe off the tee and it still went straight 220(links in Scotland, home course) I was shocked and sold then.

The new one might perform but it looks less like an Iron and there are lots very happy with the p790 UDI.

Defensive much? I'm passing along the info i got from a friend in the tour van circles. TM guys almost unanimously bailed on the 790 UDI for the GAPR because it's literally better in every category. Again not my opinion just what i'm told and by the looks of it the information is very accurate.

My whole thing with the GAPR, is I find it extremely unattractive. Confidence is like 90% of my golf game. If I'm not dressed properly for a round of golf, I won't play well. If I don't have confidence when standing over a club, I won't swing it well. I'm a very visual person, and what the club looks like at address will directly effect my performance with it. And based off every photo that's come out of the GAPR, I'd have no confidence standing over it. I think it's extremely ugly. So, while a robot might test a GAPR and P790 head to head and the GAPR will be better on paper, if I can't personally use it as well, does that even matter?

Here is Kevin Chappell's GAPR Lo 2 iron with 6 grams taken off the back to get it to D3 with an X100 shaft. I don't guess he wanted it to play at D6. Supposedly the weight is for SW purposes...you'd think they could just swap that out and keep from having to grind off part of the club. Oh and the bonded version is Tour only as expected.

This tells me that the GAPR Lo will play at D3 with a 100g shaft, D2 with a 90g shaft, and D1 with an 80g shaft.

rDnfoAX.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Here is Kevin Chappell's GAPR Lo 2 iron with 6 grams taken off the back to get it to D3 with an X100 shaft. I don't guess he wanted it to play at D6. Supposedly the weight is for SW purposes...you'd think they could just swap that out and keep from having to grind off part of the club. Oh and the bonded version is Tour only as expected.

This tells me that the GAPR Lo will play at D3 with a 100g shaft, D2 with a 90g shaft, and D1 with an 80g shaft.

rDnfoAX.jpg

Chappell’s Lo UDI is sweet looking!

Oh and the bonded version is Tour only as expected.

I read this today as well, confirmed by a TM Rep IIRC. I wasn't drawn to the club by the looks but, in the end, I'll take a few swings with it anyway. Not being able to get a bonded version is just another strike against it though. Irons are stupid easy for me to swap shafts in and/or bend for loft/lie (I have all the equipment) so a big, bulky, FUGLY hosel with an adapter really doesn't give me any advantage. I still have a bonded fairway wood! I wouldn't be unhappy about having a bonded driver either, the only thing that I use my wrench for is to make sure that my shaft is still tight from time to time.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

I see so many people praising that shaft. I just wish they made the 100g model in a Stiff. I don't have the swing speed for TX. And I'd want something heavier than the 89g "90 Stiff" version.

My 6 iron swing speed is around 95 and I have no issues with the tx. I was thinking about picking up a 100tx and putting it in my UDI and then putting the 90 in my hybrid.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

rDnfoAX.jpg

That's a tape job right there

just bought a P790 UDI 2i...they match my P770s better :)

In all seriousness GAPR looks ugly and I'd rather test the P790 and go from there...now carrying 1W/3W/19 degree/2iron UDI/4iron+

Welcome to the party! Love my 17* P790 as it replaced my 5 wood.

Same here. I just sold the 5W and am keeping the P790 2i. The 5W was much easier to launch, but I rarely find myself in that yardage on most courses I play. The P790 can be used at any moment off the tee as well as this yardage off the rough or fairway when I encounter it. It was a tough call as I really like hitting both clubs, but for me the P790 2i seemed more practical and versatile. I got away from hybrids in the last couple years as they were draw and hook machines for me..

In all seriousness GAPR looks ugly and I'd rather test the P790 and go from there...now carrying 1W/3W/19 degree/2iron UDI/4iron+

Same here. I just sold the 5W and am keeping the P790 2i. The 5W was much easier to launch, but I rarely find myself in that yardage on most courses I play. The P790 can be used at any moment off the tee as well as this yardage off the rough or fairway when I encounter it. It was a tough call as I really like hitting both clubs, but for me the P790 2i seemed more practical and versatile. I got away from hybrids in the last couple years as they were draw and hook machines for me..

With ya on so many fronts.

But I kept my 5w - 915fd w tour ad tp 8x. It’s definitely a better play on certain courses where I need a high 230-240 ball, actually a common requirement on the tight courses in my area. I love sniping 2/3 irons but no way I can consistently get the height out of it (especially with my shaft setups).

I’d say I use a 2i every 8/10, 5w 2/10

My point, too many folks are getting rid of reliable 5w and hybrids when they like a driving iron. It’s almost always beneficial to rotate that spot and not sell

But I kept my 5w - 915fd w tour ad tp 8x. It’s definitely a better play on certain courses where I need a high 230-240 ball, actually a common requirement on the tight courses in my area. I love sniping 2/3 irons but no way I can consistently get the height out of it (especially with my shaft setups).

I’d say I use a 2i every 8/10, 5w 2/10

My point, too many folks are getting rid of reliable 5w and hybrids when they like a driving iron. It’s almost always beneficial to rotate that spot and not sell

I definitely hear you and I probably will regret selling my 5 wood at some point.. ?

But I kept my 5w - 915fd w tour ad tp 8x. Its definitely a better play on certain courses where I need a high 230-240 ball, actually a common requirement on the tight courses in my area. I love sniping 2/3 irons but no way I can consistently get the height out of it (especially with my shaft setups).

Id say I use a 2i every 8/10, 5w 2/10

My point, too many folks are getting rid of reliable 5w and hybrids when they like a driving iron. Its almost always beneficial to rotate that spot and not sell

I definitely hear you and I probably will regret selling my 5 wood at some point..

Agreed, but I guess I can always buy another if needed. That yardage just really never showed up much for me.