2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

PXG Sugar Daddy Wedge Reviews??

tigerfan23

They are around 200 on aliexpress and every bit as good. As long as you dont resell em you are good to go.

Somewhere BirdieBob just got triggered. Oh, and Chew70 this is a terrible idea.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

If they work and you want them, buy them. $750 for a golf club is all relative to your income. For some, its super expensive and a waste of money. For the next guy is a drop in the bucket and its worth every penny.

Heck, a number of years ago I spent $12,000 on a bicycle that saved me 15 seconds, over my $4000 bicycle, in a 25 mile time trial. At that time it was worth every penny and the cost was relatively small to our income.

Nothing wrong in the price. You guys don't get it. People with money buy based on price. Anything considerably cheaper means inferior. It's a trick the mind plays but understandable.

You mean like a foolish mind, and a fool and his money , Both quickly part ways

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

If they work and you want them, buy them. $750 for a golf club is all relative to your income. For some, its super expensive and a waste of money. For the next guy is a drop in the bucket and its worth every penny.

Heck, a number of years ago I spent $12,000 on a bicycle that saved me 15 seconds, over my $4000 bicycle, in a 25 mile time trial. At that time it was worth every penny and the cost was relatively small to our income.

Nobody disputes this and literally everyone understands this.

I can laugh at you for buying the $12,000 bike. You should be able to laugh at yourself for that. Its not mean-spirited, but if you don't understand why someone spending $800 for a Ping SS with "Sugar Daddy" stamped on deserves a chuckle I don't know what to tell you.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Yet another PXG thread descends in to an argument about price, value for money, and who and who shouldn’t be buying them. It got very old a very long time ago.

As for the comparison to a Ping SS wedge, that’s laughable, and I can only assume you’ve never seen or hit one of the milled PXG wedges. Having owned both, I can confirm that they share zero similarities.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Yet another PXG thread descends in to an argument about price, value for money, and who and who shouldn’t be buying them. It got very old a very long time ago.

As for the comparison to a Ping SS wedge, that’s laughable, and I can only assume you’ve never seen or hit one of the milled PXG wedges. Having owned both, I can confirm that they share zero similarities.

It’s not that nobody should be buying them. Buy them. Just understand that it’s a little silly and laugh at yourself a bit. That’s all. It’s not evil but if you don’t see why it’s worth a chuckle to spend $800 on a wedge with a huge “sugar daddy†stamp You might take yourself too seriously.

We will agree to disagree on the Ping SS. There is no way 95%+ of golfers could tell the difference in a blind test. Milling only matters if you hit the middle and most (not all, most) players hit all their wedge shots out of the toe. Again it’s not all or none, to say they have “zero similarities†? Zero? Hm.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

As someone who used to race road bikes - as I like to say 50 lbs ago - that is a huge amount of time to save. Although not sure cycling to golf is a fair comparison. I think results are more easily quantifiable and less subjective than comparisons about performance of golf equipment.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

people who can't afford super expensive things love to laugh at people who can.

There are plenty of super expensive wedges I wouldn’t laugh at. A custom artisan could easily cost $800. The funny part is the huge,

Ridiculously tacky “sugar daddy” stamp.

Most people spend a lot on what they love. For me for a while it was guitars. Most guitars (or race bikes) don’t have something incredibly tacky like sugar daddy or whatever stamped on the luxury item. If I saw a Ferrari with “sugar daddy” stamped on the hood I’d laugh my a** off at the driver.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Lol. I know exactly what you mean. I retired from triathlons about 6 years and 30 pounds ago. I've just started to cycle again at age 63. For now it's just on my Trek 8000 (1994 police model) mountain bike. The Specialized road bike is waiting in the garage for a lighter weight rider!!!

Yeah you hit on something else which is specialization and different bike types. Depending on what category you race in can dictate what you might need to be successful. Pro for sure and Cat1 and 2 might see dedicated TT, Road and Crit bikes. Can easily have $15K tied up in that. For myself I had a single road racing bike I could slap some aero bars on for TT's and a thrasher bike for Crits. Used to cringe when I'd see someone show up with a shiny $4-$5K bike for a crit. And never trust a guy who shows up with aero bars for a group ride.

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

• 4 weeks later...

going to get fitted for PXG 0311 T or T / P combo in a few weeks.

Hoping to fit into 0311 T 3-PW.

I tried the standard 0311 wedges and weren't crazy about them. Fine on straight edge shots struggled to do anything else with them

The 0311T sugar daddys look versitle like a Vokey M Grind. I'm perfectly happy with SM7 but If I pull the trigger on the PXG i might as well go all the way and the get 0311T Wedges as well.

Looking for some reviews.

The OP asked for reviews of the performance of the wedge, not any commentary on your fiscal approach. Either comment on the wedge compared to another or start a new one about economics...and a watch analogy is much more on point anyway.

As for me, I prefer the look of the PXG SD wedge and it gives me a touch more spin on finesse shots around the green. I would really like to try one of the Modus wedge shafts in it and see what Is what. As a Vokey player til now, I could play either one, but that milled finish just appeals to me.

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - Tensei Blue

Sim 2 18 degree, Ventus TR Blue

QI 10 4 hybrid, Ventus TR Blue

P770 5-AW Dart 

S159 53 and 58 (E Grind)

Ping Anser PLD

2024 TP5X

Bag - Hoofer Craz-e Lite/TM Flex Tech Lite

I've had a lot of Vokey's over the years as they have alot of options available. But I now have the PXG forged milled wedges and they feel better than the cast Vokey wedges.

Special? You bet!!!!

Hate to say this, but you have counterfeit PXG Milled Darkness wedges and don't know it.

Guaranteed...

I've had a lot of Vokey's over the years as they have alot of options available. But I now have the PXG forged milled wedges and they feel better than the cast Vokey wedges.

Special? You bet!!!!

Hate to say this, but you have counterfeit PXG Milled Darkness wedges and don't know it.

Guaranteed...

Why? Because he said they feel better than a vokey? He isn’t lying about the feel

Special? You bet!!!!

Guaranteed...

Why? Because he said they feel better than a vokey? He isn't lying about the feel

Bob liked your post....but I can understand why he would not respond directly.

I would probably go silent too.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned a long time ago to play what I want and anyone that wants to laugh at my wedges is free to do so. I still like the wedges a lot, as I said maybe not worth it if the cost is the same as your mortgage payment, but if the money isn't a big deal then they are great wedges.

It's not different than any somewhat expensive purchase. There are guys who buy 5 drivers a year on here and sell 4 of them for $200 less than they paid, or buy a $500 shaft that gets them 100 revs less spin and 3 yards of carry vs a $200 shaft; everyone on here is flushing money down the toilet not sure why pxg draws so much ire.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of mine. Sugar Daddy 50 and 54, with a Romeo 58. I got the Romeo to mostly open up around the green, so the different grind and lower bounce is nice. Feel is great and distance control on my wedges has never been better. Hard to say whether that's the wedges themselves or just an improvement in my game, but they definitely haven't hurt.

The Romeo has the highest Bounce of the 3 grinds

I’ll echo those who have said the feel is notably better compared to a cast wedge, but at least in my demo experience there wasn’t a meaningful difference in actual performance vs. the SM7s I ultimately ended up buying. Even price, I’d take the PXGs, but I go through a set of wedges a year, so couldn’t justify paying 5x the price for softer feel but no closer to the hole.

• 2 months later...

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> thejuice wrote:

>

>

> bogeypro wrote:

>

>

>

> $750 a wedge is just insane. When I see someone with a full set of them, I don’t know whether to laugh at them or pray for them.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Why would you laugh or pray for them? Sounds like good old Hater-aid to me. If they can afford them then who cares?

>

>

> pinestreetgolf wrote:

>

>

> bogeypro wrote:

>

>

>

> $750 a wedge is just insane. When I see someone with a full set of them, I don't know whether to laugh at them or pray for them.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Laugh.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Definitely gulping Hater-aid. smh

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> *sighs* The misunderstanding as old as time.

>

>

>

> Of course you can do it if you can afford it. I think its stupid to pay 3x the price for the same thing no matter how much money you have. You are free to do whatever you want with your money. I am free to laugh at you for making silly decisions based on vanity. "I can afford it" aren't the same words as "I should do it". And when people do silly things (that hurt nobody but themselves - like buying $750 wedges) laughing at them is funny.

>

>

>

> "Parsons is awesome. He's ex-military, and he gives back"

>

> "Oh cool, what do you do then?"

>

> "Well, for me, F charity. Check out this $800 lob wedge I got. Its my money so I can do whatever I want."

>

>

>

> The Sugar Daddy wedge is the golf equivalent of getting "I'M THE MAN" sculpted in solid gold and gluing it to your trunk. You'd get laughed at for that, but it sure would be expensive and let people know you think you're the man. Probably only haters would think that is stupid though.

Your argument is almost as ridiculous as the thread from the poster lamenting the fact that he had to pay $9 for range balls at a driving range (obviously, opposite ends of the spectrum).

I never understand, and certainly never underestimate, the negative comments that are guaranteed to occur in any PXG thread. I personally have PXGs and the Sugar Daddy milled wedges are in the bag; I love the look, feel and spin of the wedges. As one poster stated, they are fun to play.

“Worth” is a relative and subjective opinion. And it is just that; an opinion. Throughout life, it is my general observation that those who participate in derisive judgement of others are usually the ones who have the issue; not the ones spending their money as they please.

And you can sculpt that in solid gold and glue it to your trunk.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 years later...

Not sure if anyone is still in the market but just wanted to share my thoughts quickly. 

Needed wedges for the year tested everything out for 22/23 didn’t love any of them. Bought some t22’s originally but the grinds didn’t work well for my conditions. I got a steal of a deal on a set of the sugar daddy’s used and decided to try them since I’d never pay the retail price. They out feel and out perform any wedge I’ve hit by a mile. I think they really have something going with the toe weighting. The spin is unreal and they aren’t even new grooves. I can’t speak on if they are worth retail but with the new generation out if you can find a set in good shape at a decent price used I would highly recommend them. 

Edited by crperry4

PING G430 10k 9* Diamana ZF 6x
PING G425 Max 14.5* Ventus Blue 7x

PING G430 19* & 23* Ventus Blue 8x

Sub 70 659 Raw 4-6 CB, 7-AW MB Fujikura Pro 95

Ping Glide Raw 4.0 54* & Edel Custom 60* Steelfiber Spinner i105

Odyssey White Hot Twelve 

10 minutes ago, crperry4 said:

Not sure if anyone is still in the market but just wanted to share my thoughts quickly. 

Needed wedges for the year tested everything out for 22/23 didn’t love any of them. Bought some t22’s originally but the grinds didn’t work well for my conditions. I got a steal of a deal on a set of the sugar daddy’s used and decided to try them since I’d never pay the retail price. They out feel and out perform any wedge I’ve hit by a mile. I think they really have something going with the toe weighting. The spin is unreal and they aren’t even new grooves. I can’t speak on if they are worth retail but with the new generation out if you can find a set in good shape at a decent price used I would highly recommend them. 

Sugar Daddy II's are by far the best I have ever played as well. Like you I would never pay retail price. Got mine in the 7 club deal when purchasing my back up set of the Gen 4 Xtreme Darks.

I was hoping PXG with the Gen 6 release would come out with the SD III's so that the SDII's would go on sale. Doesn't look like that is going to happen though.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

• 8 months later...

So this thread was pretty much useless as far as reviewing the actual performance of the Sugar Daddy wedge. I picked one up a few weeks ago in mint condition on ebay for $150, so all these posts lamenting the retail cost are meaningless to me. 

My go to wedge for 90% of all chips, pitches and bunker shots has been the Fourteen RM-12 for a few years now. I love that wedge! But after having played this PXG for 6 rounds now, I think it has replaced the RM-12 in my bag. Out of the sand it's less likely to dig even though both wedges ar 54° and have 10° of bounce, and both have the same KBS graphite shaft.  Full shots are more reliable. The feel is softer than the Fourteen,  but honestly I think I prefer the feel of the Fourteen better. Greenside chips seem easier with the PXG as well, the ball pops up quickly out of the rough and I feel like I can take a more aggressive swing and not worry about decelerating. 

In summary,  I really like the performance of the 0311 Sugar Daddy,  but prefer a slightly harder, firmer feel like my Fourteen wedge. That said,  I can't argue with the results so the PXG is in the bag!

Edited by Dave2golf2
  • Like 1