Koepka Is Sending Us All To The Gym

Spirit76

Personally, In the off season I do olympic lifts at moderate weight, lots of heavy bag work (boxing), and lots of stretching.

I don't think actual body building helps at all with golf.

I would have to imagine that most of what Brooks does is compound lifting or exercises that work on his muscles working together and improving his balance.

His physique as it appears to us on TV is probably more a product of genetics and tight fitting shirts

Yes, he's got great genes... His brother is bigger than he is

chase-brooks-koepka-new-orleans-2017-saturday-zurich-classic.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koepka has twigs for legs.

I've never seen them so that may be true true, but I doubt they are weak.

I'm sure they're not weak, but they're not legs like KJ.

Well, KJ was a power lifer and all...plus my belief is that Asians are predisposed to stronger lower bodies, with shorter body frames much like Mediterranean people.

Fun fact. When we wrassled international teams, Asian teams particularly Japan had a very up and down, change in elevation style. We in America were taught to go down to a knee to attack a leg, whereas the Japan teams would just squat and lunge then lift and throw you. Much harder to defend because they skipped a step, and you couldn't just sprawl on top of them.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Meh. I got serious in the gym with heavy weights on leg day about 3 years ago. Got a lot stronger but now I have a hip replacement scheduled for the fall. Wish I would have lightened the load, increased the reps, and spend a hell of a lot more time on core/flexibility/mobility. Could have possibly postponed surgery for a couple years. Who knows.

Still killing it in the gym on upper body. No idea if that's helpful for golf, but it's fun and golf is something I do 4 hours per week.

good to get healthy..but for some perspective...Brooks gets paid millions to play and makes millions...you?

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Personally, In the off season I do olympic lifts at moderate weight, lots of heavy bag work (boxing), and lots of stretching.

I would have to imagine that most of what Brooks does is compound lifting or exercises that work on his muscles working together and improving his balance.

His physique as it appears to us on TV is probably more a product of genetics and tight fitting shirts

Actually his brother is much smaller than he is, and currently plays golf on the challenge tour. Chase Koepka.

chase-brooks-koepka-new-orleans-2017-saturday-zurich-classic.jpg

missed this, didn't read ahead lol

I think Keopka is built like an NFL linebacker. Yep.

Similar measurements to a cornerback:

861673216.0.jpg

Marshon Lattimore (6'0" 190 lbs.)

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

And yet Justin Thomas, (aka 'Twiggy'), remains the #1 in the world at his less-than-robust weight of only 145 lbs... :taunt:

As is often said, JT is pound-for-pound the longest driver on Tour... :swoon:

:golfer:

Rory hits it miles longer and he's only 10lbs heavier.

I've never really thought the pound for pound thing related to hitting a golf ball a long way. We're not playing offensive line, we're trying to generate speed in a swing. It's like saying "Pound for pound, he's the best fisherman out there." The two don't necessarily have much correlation...I see junior golfers hitting it in the 300+ yard range regularly who weigh less than my shadow.

Actually his brother is much smaller than he is, and currently plays golf on the challenge tour. Chase Koepka.

I stand corrected... somebody was in his crew that looked just like him... and that guy was jacked

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

861673216.0.jpg

Brooks said he maxed out at 15 reps of 225 just before the US Open in the press conference after the PGA. That would be on the low side for a NFL cornerback at the combine, especially at his size. Heck, even kickers are putting up 15 to 20 reps, some like Pat O'Donnell and Dave Buehler can get to the mid 20s. I think Brooks is built more like some MLB outfielders. People are making the mistake of comparing him to a Linebacker because Brooks just looks bigger next to all of the Chesson Hadleys surrounding him.

861673216.0.jpg

Brooks said he maxed out at 15 reps of 225 just before the US Open in the press conference after the PGA. That would be on the low side for a NFL cornerback at the combine, especially at his size. Heck, even kickers are putting up 15 to 20 reps, some like Pat O'Donnell and Dave Buehler can get to the mid 20s. I think Brooks is built more like some MLB outfielders. People are making the mistake of comparing him to a Linebacker because Brooks just looks bigger next to all of the Chesson Hadleys surrounding him.

Well, I was being sarcastic, but that is interesting information.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Most faster guys do have twigs for legs. Relatively speaking. Never seen a guy with cankles who could run out of his own shadow. Above the knee is where it’s at anyway. Looks pretty filled out in the thighs.

Easy Blade, I was born with these cankles!! I like to call them mankles anyways, there's muscle in there, or used to be lol. Always had the tree trunk legs and cankles but was never the slowest guy out there. Unfortunately wasn't the fastest either. Sneaky fast I liked to call it.

This is also a huge one, and its a word men just do not want to hear.

STRETCH!!!!!

When I was wrasslin' at USAW training camp there was a guy who said that if you spent 1.5 hours lifting, you need to spend 1.5 hours stretching. While I never got super duper flexible, he was 100% correct.

Stretching doesn't improve active range of motion, especially static stretching, so not necessary, it also weakens the joint and stability. Strength training is where it's at, and you will gain range of motion just by doing the right movements anyway because of the load during exercises (loaded stretch)

I keep hearing that stretching isn't the best way to improve this, but I know stretching has increased my overall flexibility. So I am trying to figure this all out. I don't see how you'd increase range of motion via strength training. Can you elaborate? Not challenging your statement, but it is counter-intuitive for me. Let's use external shoulder rotation as an example. How would strength training increase this range of motion? If you're trying to impact range of motion for entire leg/hip/back/shoulders that sounds like a lot of different exercises.

When i mean stretching, i mainly refer to passive stretching, which is the most popular type of stretching. So yes stretching can be good, but loaded stretching and dynamic stretching mainly are beneficial

What you want to increase for sports performance specifically, is dynamic mobility, your active range of motion when you contract muscles and move, which has nothing to do with passive mobility (static stretching).

By doing exercises in the full range of motion of a joint, because of the load, you can increase your active range of motion specifically because of the eccentric portion, which is stretching the muscle and contracting at the same time because you want to resist the load falling.

For the rotator cuff, doing chest and back exercises full range (like cable flies, chest flies, dumbell rows) with an emphasis on the eccentric portion and isometric hold at the bottom will help.

Compared to static stretching, you will gain strength and also joint stability, because you don't desensitize the stretch reflex, which is a big issue with static stretching bringing loss of joint stability.

Yoga is good because it's mainly dynamic exercises and isometrics.

Please listen to these videos for the EQI technique, technique specific to strength training to increase active range of motion (dynamic mobility)

https://thibarmy.com/loaded-stretching-part-1-eqis/

https://thibarmy.com/loaded-stretching-part-2-benefits-muscle-growth/

https://thibarmy.com/loaded-stretching-one-powerful-versatile-training-method/

This is also a huge one, and its a word men just do not want to hear.

STRETCH!!!!!

When I was wrasslin' at USAW training camp there was a guy who said that if you spent 1.5 hours lifting, you need to spend 1.5 hours stretching. While I never got super duper flexible, he was 100% correct.

Stretching doesn't improve active range of motion, especially static stretching, so not necessary, it also weakens the joint and stability. Strength training is where it's at, and you will gain range of motion just by doing the right movements anyway because of the load during exercises (loaded stretch)

I keep hearing that stretching isn't the best way to improve this, but I know stretching has increased my overall flexibility. So I am trying to figure this all out. I don't see how you'd increase range of motion via strength training. Can you elaborate? Not challenging your statement, but it is counter-intuitive for me. Let's use external shoulder rotation as an example. How would strength training increase this range of motion? If you're trying to impact range of motion for entire leg/hip/back/shoulders that sounds like a lot of different exercises.

When i mean stretching, i mainly refer to passive stretching, which is the most popular type of stretching. So yes stretching can be good, but loaded stretching and dynamic stretching mainly are beneficial

What you want to increase for sports performance specifically, is dynamic mobility, your active range of motion when you contract muscles and move, which has nothing to do with passive mobility (static stretching).

By doing exercises in the full range of motion of a joint, because of the load, you can increase your active range of motion specifically because of the eccentric portion, which is stretching the muscle and contracting at the same time because you want to resist the load falling.

For the rotator cuff, doing chest and back exercises full range (like cable flies, chest flies, dumbell rows) with an emphasis on the eccentric portion and isometric hold at the bottom will help.

Compared to static stretching, you will gain strength and also joint stability, because you don't desensitize the stretch reflex, which is a big issue with static stretching bringing loss of joint stability.

Yoga is good because it's mainly dynamic exercises and isometrics.

Please listen to these videos for the EQI technique, technique specific to strength training to increase active range of motion (dynamic mobility)

https://thibarmy.com...ng-part-1-eqis/

https://thibarmy.com...-muscle-growth/

https://thibarmy.com...raining-method/

Great explanation.

I can only speak anecdotally. I had lost range a lot of motion and function in my right shoulder and was even experiencing pain The stretches I saw online helped.

But it wasn't until I started lifting that I got all the power and flexibility back. And I wasn't doing light weight/high rep. I was/am doing incline dumbell bench, side lateral raises, close grip pull downs and rows, all in 4-12 rep range as heavy as I could go. The one thing I stay away from is wide grip pulldowns and overhead presses. I actually did a lot of dumbbell overhead presses but stopped. Not because they caused an issue but because I felt it was redundant if I was doing incline bench.

Now, this is anecdotal and just my experience. I couldn't recommend that other people with shoulder pain go an start lifting weights.

Most faster guys do have twigs for legs. Relatively speaking. Never seen a guy with cankles who could run out of his own shadow. Above the knee is where it's at anyway. Looks pretty filled out in the thighs.

Yeah NBA fans would tell you twigs doesn't mean can't jump. Quite often the opposite.

Over-reacting a bit/??

Justin Thomas, (aka 'Twiggy'), remains #1 in the world, at a 'super skinny' 145 lbs... :taunt:

And...as often said, JT is 'pound-for-pound' the longest driver on the PGA Tour... :swoon:

:golfer:

Rory longer than JT? JT had some height on him , always impressed with Rors and his lb for lb distance

Yeah JT and Rory are both long and straight. Just checked it Rory is now number 1 at 320, and JT at number 9 at 314. Nobody is hitting it miles past anyone in this pair, other than where the spectators usually stand. Both are really good SG off the tee too.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Most faster guys do have twigs for legs. Relatively speaking. Never seen a guy with cankles who could run out of his own shadow. Above the knee is where it's at anyway. Looks pretty filled out in the thighs.

Easy Blade, I was born with these cankles!! I like to call them mankles anyways, there's muscle in there, or used to be lol. Always had the tree trunk legs and cankles but was never the slowest guy out there. Unfortunately wasn't the fastest either. Sneaky fast I liked to call it.

In my HS days, I was sneaky slow. I looked slow, but was actually slower than I looked...

Being a "gym rat" guarantees you nothing. Steve Stricker ascended to #2 in the world during the Tiger/Phil era despite being an average-at-best hitter off the tee.

Brooks said himself that its his focus (or lack thereof) that makes him perform so well in majors and so mediocre in regular Tour stops, and he said that a goal of his is to improve that focus in all events moving forward. Quite frankly, its silly that a guy with Koepka's talent isnt winning more on Tour. I know he's dealt with some injuries, but other than the two majors he's won this year, he's really only been in contention to win one or two other events this season.

The game might be "easier" for those who can pound it off the tee, but you still have to get a wedge in and the putts need to fall; ask Dustin Johnson, who really didn't take his game to the next level until he became proficient with the wedge where he could take advantage of his distance. Even Tiger Woods in his prime was so intimidating largely because the guy seemingly never missed a putt that mattered. At its core, golf is still a wedge and putter game, and will remain so. Long hitters have come and gone with every "era" of golf, but the guys with the great short games and putting strokes are far better and last far longer than someone who lives and dies with distance off the tee.