Youth is wasted on the young: Lexi Thompson edition

Spirit76

You can't time when your body shuts down due to emotional and physical fatigue, she did what was best for her and her family.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, no sympathy from this old in his late 60's who, along with his wife worked 40+ 8-5 and dealt with parents who had cancer and alzheimer/dementia. And raised 2 kids as well.

Boo hoo, it's life. Give me a f****** break, Lexi. Grow up. You don't and haven't had it tough at all compared to a lot of people.

"I'm jealous that a woman 40 years younger than me can do what she wants to do with her life".

Not even close. But nice try.

Yea ok. Lol

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Sorry, no sympathy from this old in his late 60's who, along with his wife worked 40+ 8-5 and dealt with parents who had cancer and alzheimer/dementia. And raised 2 kids as well.

Boo hoo, it's life. Give me a f****** break, Lexi. Grow up. You don't and haven't had it tough at all compared to a lot of people.

"I'm jealous that a woman 40 years younger than me can do what she wants to do with her life".

Not even close. But nice try.

Yea ok. Lol

This makes absolutely no sense to me. She can afford to take 2-3 weeks off so why not? Are you saying you never took a vacation? Plus you have no idea what she or any pro goes through on a daily basis. Social media allows others to think they know something about someone’s life and make assumptions off that and that is a dangerous thing

She's basically spent her WHOLE LIFE golfing. On top of the fact she's going through some major sh!t with her mom and grandma, I think maybe she's having a little mini "crisis" which is induced by this external stress. It's like the guilt/wonder that maybe a person who got married really early to their only bf/gf might feel when suddenly as a mid or late 20 something and they want to go out party, be with other people, etc.

I didn't know of what had happened with her mum and grandma, but on top of all that...

the frustration and anguish of making a (good) living with that putting stroke would do me in too (yes, my putting is atrocious too... and that's after major improvements).

Maybe take some time off, and go see some people at Edel, Seemore etc etc, try out some armlock styles and whatever in a no pressure, non-tour golf setting (assuming she'll want to play some fun rounds).

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

From a regular human perspective I'm completely okay with her decision. If you need time off, you need time off.

But from the perspective of a sports fan, the timing of her break seemed like it could have been planned better and the wording of the statement was somewhat awkward.

This may be antiquated thinking, but we love sports stories of athletes pushing though adversity on and off the field. Really we not only love the story, but also the courage and strength shown. Think of Isaiah Thomas of the Boston Celtics in 2017 playoffs. Perhaps there was something Lexi could have gained by playing in the British Open. Also, again as a sports fan, I feel like she owed it to the sport to play in that particular Major.

How did she know that she would be ready to return by the IWIT? Seems to me like if you hit a wall you wouldn't give a return date. Had she decided to announce and take off up to the remainder of the season immediately following the British Open, would have worked better from a PR standpoint.

From a regular human perspective I'm completely okay with her decision. If you need time off, you need time off.

But from the perspective of a sports fan, the timing of her break seemed like it could have been planned better and the wording of the statement was somewhat awkward.

This may be antiquated thinking, but we love sports stories of athletes pushing though adversity on and off the field. Really we not only love the story, but also the courage and strength shown. Think of Isaiah Thomas of the Boston Celtics in 2017 playoffs. Perhaps there was something Lexi could have gained by playing in the British Open. Also, again as a sports fan, I feel like she owed it to the sport to play in that particular Major.

How did she know that she would be ready to return by the IWIT? Seems to me like if you hit a wall you wouldn't give a return date. Had she decided to announce and take off up to the remainder of the season immediately following the British Open, would have worked better from a PR standpoint.

People are different, not everyone is willing to exploit a family member or themselves to provide their fans with a great human interest story. While it may be short sighted, not everyone makes decisions based on what is best for PR.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

People are different, not everyone is willing to exploit a family member or themselves to provide their fans with a great human interest story. While it may be short sighted, not everyone makes decisions based on what is best for PR.

This is such a good point, I wish I could "like" it twice.

I'll also add that none of us know exactly what caused Lexi to need the time off, so it's a bit much reading criticism of her decision, or to call her mentally weak.

She's a golfer, a good one, and she's still quite young. It's her life.

Forget about the story part of my comment, Isaiah Thomas playing in the wake of his sister's death was courageous. As it was with others who have gone out on the field, court, pitch, etc. in similar circumstances. It's difficult, nearly imposssible, to tell who uses events like this to exploit a family member or themselves. Someone could say Lexi was exploiting her mother's illness last season. I'm sure if she had asked Judy Rankin and others at the golf network not to reveal it, they would have honored her wishes.

Again, I don't have a problem with what she did, but I can understand an argument for pushing through. And not making the decision based on PR doesn't mean it wasn't handled well from a PR standpoint.

Forget about the story part of my comment, Isaiah Thomas playing in the wake of his sister's death was courageous. As it was with others who have gone out on the field, court, pitch, etc. in similar circumstances. It's difficult, nearly imposssible, to tell who uses events like this to exploit a family member or themselves. Someone could say Lexi was exploiting her mother's illness last season. I'm sure if she had asked Judy Rankin and others at the golf network not to reveal it, they would have honored her wishes.

Again, I don't have a problem with what she did, but I can understand an argument for pushing through. And not making the decision based on PR doesn't mean it wasn't handled well from a PR standpoint.

Who does she have to push through for, you, me, her fans? I think Isaiah Thomas did what was best for him given his situation, Lexi is doing what is right for hers. I would say missing a Major at this point in her life is a pretty huge sacrifice and it's pretty courageous that she's willing to take the heat from the media and people like you to do what is best for her and her family.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Also Lexi is on the road a LOT more than Isiah Thomas also.

And... Thomas was playing for a team that he did not want to let down if possible. Lexi is her whole team.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

This forum and the main Tour Talk forum are turning onto utter garbage.

Just because you have a keyboard and an internet connection, it doesn't mean you should use them.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Just because you have a keyboard and an internet connection, it doesn't mean you should use them.

Well, people need/want to talk about something. It's a valid topic, and the pop psychologist in me thinks it can be spun across multiple sports - men and women.

What people really want is for Lexi to want it as bad as they do (or think they do, as that's another topic). They want the fun loving, big hitter with a smile and a positive attitude, but at the same time they want Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Hogan, Seve, etc. Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing with those guys...it's a singular focus and purpose that VERY VERY VERY few can get to or maintain.

They see it in Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Michael Jordan...complete dedication, singular focus and zero chance they take a mental break in the prime of their career. It's the same thing that is mentioned repeatedly about the younger guys on the PGA Tour, as well. Too friendly, too comfortable, not enough desire, focus or caring.

To me, the simple reality is that it's unlikely any of that group (Wie, Kang, Lexi, Korda's, Rickie, Rory, Day, Justin, Jordan) will ever be considered in the same way as the people I mention above, and that's perfectly fine. There are only so many GOAT's running around.

Well, people need/want to talk about something. It's a valid topic, and the pop psychologist in me thinks it can be spun across multiple sports - men and women.

What people really want is for Lexi to want it as bad as they do (or think they do, as that's another topic). They want the fun loving, big hitter with a smile and a positive attitude, but at the same time they want Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Hogan, Seve, etc. Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing with those guys...it's a singular focus and purpose that VERY VERY VERY few can get to or maintain.

They see it in Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Jerry Rice, Michael Jordan...complete dedication, singular focus and zero chance they take a mental break in the prime of their career. It's the same thing that is mentioned repeatedly about the younger guys on the PGA Tour, as well. Too friendly, too comfortable, not enough desire, focus or caring.

To me, the simple reality is that it's unlikely any of that group (Wie, Kang, Lexi, Korda's, Rickie, Rory, Day, Justin, Jordan) will ever be considered in the same way as the people I mention above, and that's perfectly fine. There are only so many GOAT's running around.

I was referring to classic posts such as - cancer isn't cancer unless you are dying, and work life balance is overrated. Plus of course a gratuitous picture of her boobs.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I find your post offensive. Who are we or you, to question anyone's motives? And what's the point of the topless photo?

Maybe she wants to have a life, in addition to the LPGA. I appreciate pro golfers for their extraordinary talent. Anyone can experience professional burnout.

I have reported the OP. The post title is vile. The insinuations within it are vile, and the comments made in relation to cancer are vile. Further, posting non golf pictures is a clear contravention of forum rules.

I didn't know about her families medical history, but once yo hear that, then all bets are off.

"Youth is wasted on the young" - utterly vile.

You seem oblivious to the fact her mother is battling cancer. Maybe her goals in life don't align with your expectations. Not everyone is obsessed with being the best at the expense of their personal life and relationships. What professional sport are you the best at? If you're not the best, why not? I could almost ignore your posts if her mom wasn't battling cancer but given it's been pointed out to you numerous times and you continue to criticize her I'm going to assume you're a troll.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

You seem oblivious to the fact her mother is battling cancer. Maybe her goals in life don't align with your expectations. Not everyone is obsessed with being the best at the expense of their personal life and relationships. What professional sport are you the best at? If you're not the best, why not? I could almost ignore your posts if her mom wasn't battling cancer but given it's been pointed out to you numerous times and you continue to criticize her I'm going to assume you're a troll.

I think you missed my entire point. People want her to be something she is incapable of being. She can’t be robot Tiger, Annika, Peyton, Federer, whomever. I have only commented once, and it was around why people act this way - generally inadequacy in their own life. So, zip it, skippy.

Isiah Thomas playing through a serious injury in 2017 was the biggest mistake of his professional sports life. I hope he can regain his form and a team that can appreciate his talents.

Isiah Thomas playing through a serious injury in 2017 was the biggest mistake of his professional sports life. I hope he can regain his form and a team that can appreciate his talents.

I Agree.

But I was mainly referring to him playing in the wake of his sister's death.

I Agree.

But I was mainly referring to him playing in the wake of his sister's death.

The injury costing him 100M+ is a way overblown angle from the media, usually used in columns to deliver a political message. He needed surgery whether he played in the playoffs or not, no one has said or implied that playing in the playoffs actually made the injury worse. He had to get the surgery regardless, he could've sat out the playoffs, come back and looked just as out of sorts as he did and he still wouldn't have gotten paid. Its just a great media angle (and fits a particular narrative that is very popular right now) to say he sacrificed himself and got screwed by the evil system

It is admirable that he played in the playoffs and he is a trooper for doing so, but that's not what cost him money.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Who does she have to push through for, you, me, her fans? I think Isaiah Thomas did what was best for him given his situation, Lexi is doing what is right for hers. I would say missing a Major at this point in her life is a pretty huge sacrifice and it's pretty courageous that she's willing to take the heat from the media and people like you to do what is best for her and her family.

There is no heat from people like me because I'm okay with her decision. I just happen to wonder "what if" and see parts of another argument.

Push through for the sport of womens golf. Is that selfish? Sure. It also may not be a popular opinion or correct. I'm fine with that. If I recall correctly, in her interview with Feherty, Nancy Lopez said she thought Annika shouldn't have retired because women's golf needed her and she had come back and played after her pregnancy and showed it could be done. Selfish opinion yes, but a valid opinion.

Didn't Kenny Perry regularly skip the British Open?

Trying to figure out who she is off the course sounds like she's tired of being 'the tall girl'. (That actually IS something. Very strange.)

I remember he did it one year when he was actually playing really well and people talked about it a bit. He was pretty honest about it too, something like "look dudes, i hit a super high draw exclusively....i ain't got no chance"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Didn't Kenny Perry regularly skip the British Open?

Trying to figure out who she is off the course sounds like she's tired of being 'the tall girl'. (That actually IS something. Very strange.)

I remember he did it one year when he was actually playing really well and people talked about it a bit. He was pretty honest about it too, something like "look dudes, i hit a super high draw exclusively....i ain't got no chance"

Scott Hoch did it regularly.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

There is no heat from people like me because I'm okay with her decision. I just happen to wonder "what if" and see parts of another argument.

Push through for the sport of womens golf. Is that selfish? Sure. It also may not be a popular opinion or correct. I'm fine with that. If I recall correctly, in her interview with Feherty, Nancy Lopez said she thought Annika shouldn't have retired because women's golf needed her and she had come back and played after her pregnancy and showed it could be done. Selfish opinion yes, but a valid opinion.

Everyone can have an opinion but the only one that counts is Lexi's. Lexi's not responsible for woman's golf, the LPGA Tour is and Michael Whan is. If the fate of the LPGA rested on Annika or Lexi's career decisions then someone isn't doing their job.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Everyone can have an opinion but the only one that counts is Lexi's. Lexi's not responsible for woman's golf, the LPGA Tour is and Michael Whan is. If the fate of the LPGA rested on Annika or Lexi's career decisions then someone isn't doing their job.

People aren't buying tickets to see Mike Whan. Lexi is a member of the LPGA Tour. Mike Whan would say that each member of the tour has a responsibility to women's golf. Didn't they do a piece during The Founder's this year where he says that he tells all the tour members to "Act like a Founder."