2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @baddomes said:

> I like greg's putting improvement strategy: Hit the flagstick and hope it goes in so he doesn't have to putt.

This seems best for all involved LOL.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

The need to concentrate over four hours intermittently and react to a static thing staring at you sucks and is probably not a natural human thing and similar to jogging

Koepka’s bag is also remarkably 2nd Swingesque - he plays what works.

__DRIVER: TaylorMade M5 (10.5 degrees)

FAIRWAY WOOD: TaylorMade M2 Tour HL (16.5 degrees),

IRONS: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (3)

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

WEDGES: Titleist Vokey Design SM7 Raw (52, 56 degrees); SM4

PUTTER: Scotty T10 Select Newport 2__

• Like 1

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > I keep hearing various versions of this happy story, but I had the opposite experience. I walked in with a set of Cobra F7 irons that I wanted to trade for Cobra's forged irons. They offered me $200 for my set and wanted to charge $750 for the forged set. I said, "no, thanks" and left.

>

>

> Not sure what you were expecting to be honest, the F7s are now two generations behind - and I kind of know about where the prices are just based on selling a set this winter. Heck you can buy used sets of F7 irons right now for around $250 or so on Global so that seems pretty reasonable on the trade in price.

Frankly, I was expecting exactly what I experienced. I never said they were unfair. However, I was following up on reports here and elsewhere that you could go into the store with one set of used clubs and walk out with another set of used clubs for minimal investment. One friend of mine goes so far as to rummage thru Good Will looking for clubs he can trade in at Second Swing. I suspected these reports were over-blown, and that's exactly what I confirmed.

Finally cracked into my first bottle of Buffalo Trace. I had been drinking Four Roses Small Batch as a point of comparison, and am well acquainted with Basil Haydens, Woodford Reserve. I was going to say, meh, not much difference between them, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

Buffalo Trace is special. On a different level like Blanton's and Booker's.

Also, I binge watched "The Boys" on Amazon Prime starting this past Friday.

Highly, highly recommend both.

• Like 2

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

> @MountainGoat said:

> However, I was following up on reports here and elsewhere that you could go into the store with one set of used clubs and walk out with another set of used clubs for minimal investment....I suspected these reports were over-blown, and that's exactly what I confirmed.

You confirmed how exactly? By "over blown" you mean Domes or other people's stories were exagerated? You think its not possible to bring more in used trade than you leave with in new (to you) used product?

You brought in a 2.5 year old set of clubs you knew werent worth much. You got an offer you expected on a much, much more expensive set. So you went in knowing you - obviously - would not get near the cost of a set of the forged by trading in your 2.5 year old clubs because you are trying to...prove that other people here made up their stories?

Domes brought in a set of MP64s - that I suspect were worth at least $100 more than your clubs - and a wedge. He left with a new driver shaft and a wedge and credit. Thats exactly what I would have expected to happen.

To be fair I havent had my full compliment of coffee just yet, so I guess you wanted to prove a point I just hadnt zoned in on what that was. Good job, I guess?

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @eagle1997 said:

> Finally cracked into my first bottle of Buffalo Trace. I had been drinking Four Roses Small Batch as a point of comparison, and am well acquainted with Basil Haydens, Woodford Reserve. I was going to say, meh, not much difference between them, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.

>

> Buffalo Trace is special. On a different level like Blanton's and Booker's.

>

I love Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare is not far behind and Blantons is still my benchmark. I also keep Woodford Reserve and Four Roses Small Batch on hand as well. Four Roses is in one of my decanters and Eagle Rare in the other. I wasn't too wild about Basil Hayden. A little too much rye for me.

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > I like greg's putting improvement strategy: Hit the flagstick and hope it goes in so he doesn't have to putt.

>

> This seems best for all involved LOL.

It is the best solution I can come up with. I went to 2nd Swing after playing yesterday and spent a while in the putter area. I had a nice condition Scotty Newport 2 in my hand thinking this would be a nice birthday present to myself. Then I thought, I am hitting flags now, I don't need a putter, and put it back.

An expensive putter for me would be like buying a Ferrari to go down the block to the grocery store. Unnecessary!

> @gregh729 said:

> I had a nice condition Scotty Newport 2 in my hand thinking this would be a nice birthday present to myself. Then I thought, I am hitting flags now, I don't need a putter, and put it back.

I look forward to seeing it next time we play LOL

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @gregh729 said:

> I love Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare is not far behind and Blantons is still my benchmark. I also keep Woodford Reserve and Four Roses Small Batch on hand as well. Four Roses is in one of my decanters and Eagle Rare in the other. I wasn't too wild about Basil Hayden. A little too much rye for me.

>

I've said before I think Buffalo Trace is dollar for dollar the best bourbon out there. It could be twice the price and still be worth it.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

People saying "Wedge forgiveness" are just trolling me, right? Wedge forgiveness.

I don't drink as much booze as you guys, but all I ever drink straight these days is Fernet-Branca. It's a liquer that tastes like bitters, or like. . .

![](https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61195H2ig6L._SL1500_.jpg "")

Whenever you read cocktail recipes for it, it's like, "Don't use too much, it overpowers drinks" and all this, but I (and wife) just drink it straight. I love sipping it alongside a beer. It's good mixed with club soda.

We make a drink called the "Hanky Panky" with it. Gin, sweet vermouth, Fernet.

There's also a great brunch cocktail with Fernet, Cocchi Americano, Grapefruit juice, Soda (and syrup if you want it). That's called a "Storm Cloud".

I read some article about Fernet years ago. It sort of became associated with d-bag hipsters -- a tag I wouldn't fully embrace, nor fully shy away from -- but when I first tried it, I loved it. I tend to enjoy "bitter" things more than the general populace.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You had never tried Buffalo Trace @eagle1997? Shame on you!

I agree with DC that it is really hard to beat for the money. Also in the category for me is Eagle Rare and McKenna 10yr single barrel. What's funny about Buffalo Trace is that is seems to be hard to get up here but when I traveled back to my hometown and made a trip across the line into KY, BT was all over....750 and 1.75s as far as you could see.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

> @eagle1997 said:

> Also, I binge watched "The Boys" on Amazon Prime starting this past Friday.

>

> Highly, highly recommend both.

I saw the trailer for this on youtube a couple days ago, and it's definitely on my To Watch list. Glad to hear it's worth it.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/29/lexi-thompson-blunder-cause-players-miss-practice/

Anyone else find this story odd- not that Lexi forgot her passport (that's just plain dumb)- but that 38 players don't keep their golf bags with them wherever they go???? Especially to a major! How do they know how the bags are handled? When I read Who's your Caddie, I think it was David Duval's guy who said it was his job to watch the bag at all times, and they never left the bag with anyone but the two of them.

I get that you don't know what happens on an airline, or that Duval was probably always flying private- but at least you had a general idea of where the bag was.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

> @Ocgolfrick said:

> https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/29/lexi-thompson-blunder-cause-players-miss-practice/

>

> Anyone else find this story odd- not that Lexi forgot her passport (that's just plain dumb)- but that 38 players don't keep their golf bags with them wherever they go???? Especially to a major! How do they know how the bags are handled? When I read Who's your Caddie, I think it was David Duval's guy who said it was his job to watch the bag at all times, and they never left the bag with anyone but the two of them.

>

> I get that you don't know what happens on an airline, or that Duval was probably always flying private- but at least you had a general idea of where the bag was.

Her metagame is strong here. Well played, Lexi.

> @Sterling_247 said:

> Anybody got a semi-successful/successful technique for fairway bunkers? I'm hopeless out of them

>

> Currently watching the Crossfield vlog on Pinehurst from 2017

My favorite/easy/non standard technique - I take one more club for the yardage, play it back in my stance and play a half/three quarter shot. So say its a 145 yard shot, normally a 9 iron for me. I'll take an 8 iron, move it back in my stance and then hit a less than full shot.

In my mind, this allows me to not try to crush the shot - and it keeps me more stable on my feet.

First question should have been - when you say "hopeless" what is your miss? Too fat, too thin, etc.

(LOL at me giving Sterling golf advice)

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

> @Sterling_247 said:

> Anybody got a semi-successful/successful technique for fairway bunkers? I'm hopeless out of them

>

"semi-successful" would describe it. Just err on the side of thin, unless you absolutely can't fly the green for whatever reason. My basic idea is "You've probably already added 1. Just don't add 2".

There's a fairway bunker at 115 on my course and I've thinned one over the green from it. OB.

If it's a long shot, I actually like a hybrid out of the bunker more than a long iron.

I USED to try to play a cut because I felt I could get away with more coming in steep, then I read a tip about trying to play a draw to force yourself to come in more shallow and I've tried that. One thing about "shallow" is that it lets you get away with a little "fat" and that's fine for turf. . .you might only lose a little off the shot. When you come in shallow in a FW bunker, you might never totally chunk it, but even a little fat slows the club head A LOT.

If I had to life-and-death make a good shot out of a fairway bunker, I'd probably come in steep, cutty and maybe try to catch it a groove low. I think that's the most reliable for me.

This isn't a shot I'm going to practice a whole lot because I don't face it a whole lot. . .so, basically I'm back to "don't add 2".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @Sterling_247 said:

>

I like the "take one more club" and "3/4 swing" suggestions. It might be obvious, but I'd add making sure your feet are very dug in/planted, and choke up on the club a bit. Helps avoid hitting it fat.

Callaway md3 52* S grind

> @dcmidnight said:

> My favorite/easy/non standard technique - I take one more club for the yardage, play it back in my stance and play a half/three quarter shot. So say its a 145 yard shot, normally a 9 iron for me. I'll take an 8 iron, move it back in my stance and then hit a less than full shot.

>

I've tried this with wedges inside 100 a couple times and it seems to help. The bunkers were hard though so I'm afraid to get my hopes up that it would work under normal conditions. I'll definitely be trying it next time I have one

I think the only person who should be able to give Sterling advice should be 827. On his Twitch stream. Thursdays and Saturdays 9pm EST.

I enjoy fernet. Introduced by my cousin who lives in the bay area. Apparently outside of italy, San Francisco gets the most fernet shipments [citation needed]. Legend has it that bartenders used to sneak shots of it during their shifts because it was the most dusty bottle on the bar (no one ever ordered it) and it was easiest to get away with. If you order a shot of fernet, you get instant credibility from a bartender. I'd say 30% of the time it's free. I bought one two weekends ago. It wasn't free.

It's also nice because you don't have to brush your teeth that night. It's like drinking pine cone juice.

Mountaingoat - one thing I forgot to mention in my story is that I'm also really cool and everyone likes me. Maybe that's why I was traded a shaft for my equal value shaft.

• Like 3

I prefer domes' posts because he also has "titanium tee" status.

lol@six stars.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @Sterling_247 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

>

> > My favorite/easy/non standard technique - I take one more club for the yardage, play it back in my stance and play a half/three quarter shot. So say its a 145 yard shot, normally a 9 iron for me. I'll take an 8 iron, move it back in my stance and then hit a less than full shot.

> >

> I've tried this with wedges inside 100 a couple times and it seems to help. The bunkers were hard though so I'm afraid to get my hopes up that it would work under normal conditions. I'll definitely be trying it next time I have one

>

Do you use flop shots around the greens?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > @Sterling_247 said:

> > > @dcmidnight said:

> >

> > > My favorite/easy/non standard technique - I take one more club for the yardage, play it back in my stance and play a half/three quarter shot. So say its a 145 yard shot, normally a 9 iron for me. I'll take an 8 iron, move it back in my stance and then hit a less than full shot.

> > >

> > I've tried this with wedges inside 100 a couple times and it seems to help. The bunkers were hard though so I'm afraid to get my hopes up that it would work under normal conditions. I'll definitely be trying it next time I have one

> >

> Do you use flop shots around the greens?

>

Not full on flop shots normally but I will if I absolutely have to

> @Sterling_247 said:

> > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > > @Sterling_247 said:

> > > > @dcmidnight said:

> > >

> > > > My favorite/easy/non standard technique - I take one more club for the yardage, play it back in my stance and play a half/three quarter shot. So say its a 145 yard shot, normally a 9 iron for me. I'll take an 8 iron, move it back in my stance and then hit a less than full shot.

> > > >

> > > I've tried this with wedges inside 100 a couple times and it seems to help. The bunkers were hard though so I'm afraid to get my hopes up that it would work under normal conditions. I'll definitely be trying it next time I have one

> > >

> > Do you use flop shots around the greens?

> >

>

> Not full on flop shots normally but I will if I absolutely have to

Open up your 56 treat it like a flop.

Just using the sand to get the ball out

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

And here I was pumped about my platinum tee status

Callaway md3 52* S grind

> @baddomes said:

> Can we auto-ignore anyone not posting from the titanium tees?

In reality I already do.

Baddomes we runnin' this golf bit

Misplaced texan we runnin' this golf bit

JohnnyT we runnin' this golf bit

GregH we runnin' this golf bit

• Like 1

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind