MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Golf talk :

Saw StixBMore saturday. He was in town for a wedding. Looking good. Mostly playing race car, and a little golf.

Played my first Superintendents revenge scramble Saturday. I thought it was a lot of fun (and not just because we WON IT. :wink: .).

There were a couple greens with stakes in the ground around the hole and so you had to pick a funny route through the stakes just to two putt.

There were a couple holes with tiny holes.

The main thing, though, is that they put the pins on crazy slopes, like if you missed the hole, the ball rolled off the front/side of the green 20-30 feet away. And, I'm not saying THAT would be a fun way to play golf, but it did make me realize, "there are parts of these green this I've never played to before." It opened me up to thinking about a couple extra locations you could use.

I'm talking about some extreme pin locations, either super-tucked, or highly sloped, that make you hit a very good 15-foot putt just to keep it near the hole. And, you could move a couple of those pins a foot or two so that those "danger zones" are close, but you could keep a putt near the hole if you had to. And, it was fun to try to make putts with twice as much break as you've ever experienced on the course before. . .just gets you looking at the game a little different. It also makes you realize just how much slope there is on parts of the green you sometimes have to chip over, or hit long putts over. You don't really notice it until the pin is set in it.

They had some holes where they laid a hose on the green (and you couldn't chip from the green). One idea I've always liked in disc golf was the use of the "mando". . .an obstacle that it was mandatory to play on one side of. I like this idea. The hose on the green forced you to attack the pin from specific angles. I could see doing it where if you were on the green on the wrong side of the hose, there was a designated chipping area.

Some crazies. . .I tried lagging a putt 2 feet above a hole just to make the par putt on one hole, and instead of stopping, the putt just rolled in. I hit one lag putt about 4 feet from the hole (all other putts rolled down and off the green), and it took us 4 chances to just make the 4 footer.

Our "D" golfer, who is about a 10 handicap, made 3 or 4 putts for us that were just ridiculous. . .just starting putts almost 90º from the direct line to the hole.

We made birdie on both holes that used a "tiny" cup. Same guy. Same guy hit a putt from the fringe on 18 that rolled 2 feet past the hole, and rolled back in. And, one of his tiny-hole putts did that.

We bogeyed the hole that made you only use a 7 iron (415 yards).

We bogeyed a par 5 after we had an eagle putt. We had 3 putts roll off the green, one putt stop about 7 feet above the hole. Then, we all rolled that 7 footer off the green, and no one chipped back in. We had to go back to the cart for wedges for our 5th shot.

You had to play the 16th with only a 9 iron (375) and our A-golfer parred it by himself.

So, you had to make putts, but we also hit good drives, and good approaches all day. We had nice looks at bird on all the par 3's. On two holes where they laid a hose on the green, we got on the right side of the hose. One birdie and one par.

We finished -6. Second was -5. There were good teams out there who were 74 (and higher).

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Accepted a new job that's up in Bmore. Might be moving out of DC as a result, though not too far since the roommate works in VA.

Does this mean I'll start heading to Turf to give City and Fabb swing advice? It's possible.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

> @siegel159 said:

> Accepted a new job that's up in Bmore. Might be moving out of DC as a result, though not too far since the roommate works in VA.

>

> Does this mean I'll start heading to Turf to give City and Fabb swing advice? It's possible.

Interesting. Where's the job? Downtown?

House in DC : $750,000

House in Baltimore : $250,000

Tell your girl to look for a new job in Baltimore for like 5 years and you'll still come out ahead.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Baltimore and Virginia? Ooof.

Have a friend where they split Bmore and Tysons while living in Kensington. Sucks for both of them, but they make it work.

My new place has an office in Tysons and it's already making me think about moving. Driving from MD to VA at 7am aint bad, but VA to MD at 5pm is horrific.

• Like 1

> @SullGolf said:

>

> My new place has an office in Tysons and it's already making me think about moving. Driving from MD to VA at 7am aint bad, but VA to MD at 5pm is horrific.

>

>

I can confirm this. Takes me 30-40 minutes most mornings to get from DC to McLean. Then 50-75 minutes usually on the drive home. Sometimes more. I wish I could work a 6-2 or 7-3 shift to avoid the ugly commute home, but I cannot.

> @SullGolf said:

> > @FAbb said:

> > Or consider terminating that roommate agreement.

>

> New prenup clause: you must live and work within 10 miles of my place of business.

10 Miles? Are you crazy. When I was shopping for a roommate on all of the 'apps' and websites, I always set the radius as small as possible. I think some allowed you to configure it down to 1 mile. You think I'm driving regularly to VA or MD? That's a hard no.

• Like 2

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @siegel159 said:

> > Accepted a new job that's up in Bmore. Might be moving out of DC as a result, though not too far since the roommate works in VA.

> >

> > Does this mean I'll start heading to Turf to give City and Fabb swing advice? It's possible.

>

> Interesting. Where's the job? Downtown?

>

> House in DC : $750,000

> House in Baltimore : $250,000

>

> Tell your girl to look for a new job in Baltimore for like 5 years and you'll still come out ahead.

Immediately off of 395, so there's minimal city driving. Not sure what the driving time is gonna be like from the new office to any of the surrounding courses.

Also, can't ask her to look for a new job. A) she loves her current job, B.) she makes more than me, so my "retire at 35 to play golf" plan really depends on her. Although I do have a bunch of friends in Baltimore, so it's not like I haven't asked anyway

Callaway md3 52* S grind

> @baddomes said:

> > @"C. Freeman" said:

> > > @SullGolf said:

> > > Had a 9:50am tee time at Blue Mash yesterday with Domes and CFree. I roll in to the parking lot and there are two cars there: Dome's and CFree's. Lightly raining, not bad. Since it's raining, no warmup, just breakfast sandwiches and bloody marys.

> > >

> > > We took our time getting out...maybe 10 or 20 minutes past our time. And the skies completely opened up. On the first tee, Domes and I were waiting under our umbrellas for a few minutes to see if the rain let up a bit. Then I look left and CFree is out there with no umbrella, getting totally hosed by the rain. I almost felt bad for delaying, but instead was cracking up. My pants below the knee were soaked because the wind was blowing sideways. I was basically immediately as wet as I was by 16 or 17 last week at the 7s. Similar playing conditions as last week though, with rivers and standing water everywhere.

> > >

> > > By 2 green the rain was letting up, and by the back 9 the skies were blue. The fairways were still soaked, but the greens actually dried out really fast and were rolling nicely. We started out playing the whites but eventually just switched to having someone pick a tee on every hole. Played 7 from the tips, 8 from the front, 11 from the tips, 12 from the front. I briefly kept score on the back 9 when I was -3 through 4 (par on 11 hitting driver, eagle on 12 hitting 8i in to the green, birdie on 13 from the whites).

> > >

> > > We didn't see anyone out there until we made the turn. Rolled through 18 walking in about 3:30. Had a ton of fun while **** around and not keeping score. This time of the year I'd far rather do that than grind out a score in nice conditions. If it keeps the courses empty, bring on the rain. Really an A+ day.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > The whirlpool drain on No. 2 was amazing. I was miserable and wet and still having fun.

>

> Yes. All that. All of it.

>

> Cfree and Sull were both hitting it really well. Cfree is taking lessons from Fabb's guy, and Sull has been using that tour striker thing.

>

> Cfree takes clubs out of his bag depending on whether it's raining or not. He also left his Hive towel at home because he didn't want to get it........wait for it........dirty.

You can’t game your gamer in all conditions. That’s crazy. The Queen Bee would never forgive me for putting her in those conditions.

Commutes are a funny thing. When I was splitting nights with the roommate in her place in SW, it used to take her longer to drive to GW in rush hour than it took me to drive to Chantilly when I left at ~530a. The traffic down there was so unbearable at night though especially with the park opening, I cant imagine how it is now.

Commute is sub 10 minutes now - quality of life increase is off the charts from back then.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @XHoop24 said:

> > @SullGolf said:

> > > @FAbb said:

> > > Or consider terminating that roommate agreement.

> >

> > New prenup clause: you must live and work within 10 miles of my place of business.

>

> 10 Miles? Are you crazy. When I was shopping for a roommate on all of the 'apps' and websites, I always set the radius as small as possible. I think some allowed you to configure it down to 1 mile. You think I'm driving regularly to VA or MD? That's a hard no.

I don't believe for a second that a stud like XHoop was driving to meet candidates. They were certainly driving to him.

> @gregh729 said:

> If you use the American Legion bridge, you have to be there before 2 or you will stop. I leave Springfied at 3-3:15 and don't get home to Damascus until 5. Basically gone 5a-5p every day, but 3hrs of that is on the road. B L O W S!

That is virtually the exact same situation I'm in except I'm heading the other direction. Can confirm...B L O W S!

So, based off of all this commuting talk, is the general consensus that I should quit before my first day and find a new job?

Callaway md3 52* S grind

> @siegel159 said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > > @siegel159 said:

> > > Accepted a new job that's up in Bmore. Might be moving out of DC as a result, though not too far since the roommate works in VA.

> > >

> > > Does this mean I'll start heading to Turf to give City and Fabb swing advice? It's possible.

> >

> > Interesting. Where's the job? Downtown?

> >

> > House in DC : $750,000

> > House in Baltimore : $250,000

> >

> > Tell your girl to look for a new job in Baltimore for like 5 years and you'll still come out ahead.

>

>

> Also, can't ask her to look for a new job. A) she loves her current job, B.) **she makes more than me, so my "retire at 35 to play golf" plan really depends on her**. Although I do have a bunch of friends in Baltimore, so it's not like I haven't asked anyway

>

>

Congrats on marrying up and your new found wealth. Soooo, will it be Baltimore CC, Caves Valley, or Congo?

That's just a joke Siegel.

I sort of day dream about retiring (pretty early) and just traveling with wife in her job a bunch of times each year.

I think right now, we could ALMOST pay our bills with her job, and I could just let the big pile grow.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @"C. Freeman" said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > > @"C. Freeman" said:

> > > > @SullGolf said:

> > > > Had a 9:50am tee time at Blue Mash yesterday with Domes and CFree. I roll in to the parking lot and there are two cars there: Dome's and CFree's. Lightly raining, not bad. Since it's raining, no warmup, just breakfast sandwiches and bloody marys.

> > > >

> > > > We took our time getting out...maybe 10 or 20 minutes past our time. And the skies completely opened up. On the first tee, Domes and I were waiting under our umbrellas for a few minutes to see if the rain let up a bit. Then I look left and CFree is out there with no umbrella, getting totally hosed by the rain. I almost felt bad for delaying, but instead was cracking up. My pants below the knee were soaked because the wind was blowing sideways. I was basically immediately as wet as I was by 16 or 17 last week at the 7s. Similar playing conditions as last week though, with rivers and standing water everywhere.

> > > >

> > > > By 2 green the rain was letting up, and by the back 9 the skies were blue. The fairways were still soaked, but the greens actually dried out really fast and were rolling nicely. We started out playing the whites but eventually just switched to having someone pick a tee on every hole. Played 7 from the tips, 8 from the front, 11 from the tips, 12 from the front. I briefly kept score on the back 9 when I was -3 through 4 (par on 11 hitting driver, eagle on 12 hitting 8i in to the green, birdie on 13 from the whites).

> > > >

> > > > We didn't see anyone out there until we made the turn. Rolled through 18 walking in about 3:30. Had a ton of fun while **** around and not keeping score. This time of the year I'd far rather do that than grind out a score in nice conditions. If it keeps the courses empty, bring on the rain. Really an A+ day.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > The whirlpool drain on No. 2 was amazing. I was miserable and wet and still having fun.

> >

> > Yes. All that. All of it.

> >

> > Cfree and Sull were both hitting it really well. Cfree is taking lessons from Fabb's guy, and Sull has been using that tour striker thing.

> >

> > Cfree takes clubs out of his bag depending on whether it's raining or not. He also left his Hive towel at home because he didn't want to get it........wait for it........dirty.

>

> You can’t game your gamer in all conditions. That’s crazy. The Queen Bee would never forgive me for putting her in those conditions.

cuck

> @XHoop24 said:

> > @SullGolf said:

> > > @FAbb said:

> > > Or consider terminating that roommate agreement.

> >

> > New prenup clause: you must live and work within 10 miles of my place of business.

>

> When I was shopping for a roommate on all of the 'apps' and websites, I always set the radius as small as possible.

Not a cuck.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i'm mentally preparing myself for a lot of care giving responsibilities when i retire. you never know what's going to happen but I've been thinking about that. between my relatively young parents, my in-laws, and the possibility that one of my kids will have a kid decent chance someone will need care. one thing i haven't figured out about retiring young is health care insurance.

> @TheCityGame said:

> That's just a joke Siegel.

It's still going on my "reasons not to invite City to my Halloween party" list

• Like 1

Callaway md3 52* S grind

> @2moreTerps said:

> i'm mentally preparing myself for a lot of care giving responsibilities when i retire. you never know what's going to happen but I've been thinking about that. between my relatively young parents, my in-laws, and the possibility that one of my kids will have a kid decent chance someone will need care. one thing i haven't figured out about retiring young is **health care insurance**.

I check out some of those FIRE Blogs on occasion and one thing they DON'T worry about is health insurance- because of a weird paradox factor. They assume that by retiring young you've been living on a reduced income with spending to match. So let's say you've figured out how to live by only spending $25,000 a year, and you feel comfortable spending that in your retirement. Due to subsidies for keeping your income that low, your health insurance is pretty much free (although with high deductibles) Other people just move to foreign countries (Thailand was big til they changed the visa laws) where there is universal health insurance. The Canadians in my parents Florida development have this figured out to a science. They stay in Florida for exactly- 6 Months MINUS one day- then head to Canada again. Free Health Insurance as long as you live in Canada 6 Months and 1 day a year.

• Like 1
Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.