MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @gsrjc said:

> > @bayrat88 said:

> > This year has been the year of job changes within the Hive. Me, Sully, CJ (sort of), Siegel, who else?

>

> I changed from Govt to industry. Great move for me.

>

What are the work hours and quality of life like? My wife has toyed with the idea of working in industry, but it sounds like its long hours and lots of pressure.

> @davechen said:

> > @gsrjc said:

> > > @bayrat88 said:

> > > This year has been the year of job changes within the Hive. Me, Sully, CJ (sort of), Siegel, who else?

> >

> > I changed from Govt to industry. Great move for me.

> >

>

> What are the work hours and quality of life like? My wife has toyed with the idea of working in industry, but it sounds like its long hours and lots of pressure.

I have general work hours of 8-5. Some days might be longer than others if I have international calls. Lots of Govt people think that industry is more pressure but I’d say it’s less and that’s confirmed by other colleagues who left this year. It’s a lot more exciting and people care about your work and what you bring to the team. Folks are rewarded for good work and recognized for what you do. I’ve been at it for almost 10 months now and I would never go back. I know folks that just got too comfortable and that wasn’t me. I wanted to learn new stuff so I left. Work life balance is great. I haven’t worked a weekend at all. Much different than at my old Govt job when there were times I needed to do stuff on the weekend or late at night because someone needed stuff first thing the next morning. Happy to chat about it the next time I see you. I’m sure there are probably horror stories but I haven’t experienced them and I also believe it depends on the type of company you work for too.

I got out to Laurel Hill on Saturday with Dom and Christian. We got around in 3.5 hours. Was pretty much the perfect temperature to play golf in again. I thought the course was in really good condition for being almost November. It was only my 3rd time playing at LH but I absolutely love the course and wish I could play there more often. I hit the ball better than I ever have in my life on my way to shooting an 87. I hit 10/13 fairways (missed 2, 13, 15), hit 8 greens, shot 41 on the back - all career bests, but also whacked 38 putts. It coulda/shoulda been an 83 or better just thinking back on the day. I've sort of neglected the putting part of my game and have been focused more on fixing my full swing, and it shows. I was smashing the D all day and put myself in a lot of great spots. Slowly but surely the game is coming together. I just have to remember to keep my back swing shorter and my contact rate goes up a brazilian percent, no hyperbole. It's funny that I was struggling to keep my score below 100 for the first half of the year and now I'm nitpicking my rounds when I'm shooting in the 80's. I am committed to 2020 at Woodmore so I'm looking for my game to keep trending in the current direction. It's all about the repetitions for me.

It's always great getting out to play with Dom. He shot a ho-hum 78 from the tippy tips. Some of those holes from the tips are just plain brutal and he makes it look so easy. It's lots of fun to watch because I know how much work it has taken for him to get where he is. It's really motivating. It's also cool hearing how he would play certain shots on the course and also giving me ideas about what I could do differently in certain spot. It's super helpful feedback.

On Saturday night I played in a charity poker tournament in Ashburn. I won a raffle prize that was announced as a free foursome to Renditions but in reality it was actually a 2 for 4 coupon. It won't go to waste but I definitely won a prize that makes me spend money. I did finish 5th in the tournament and profited $700 on the night so I'll deal with my first world problems accordingly. I was really hoping to win the Juan Soto autographed bat or the three 65" tv's they raffled off, but it wasn't meant to be.

All in all, it was a quality weekend.

• Like 1

> @Ocgolfrick said:

> Love this thread. All of us private industry workers dream of the benefits, federal holidays, and security that comes with having a government job, and it turns out all the government guys think WE have it good.

I'm sure there were a lot of people that wished they had gov't jobs back in 2000 or 2009. Right now, not as many.

With the way the GS system is set up, I personally don't feel there are many people that are properly compensated. There are a lot of low/mid-skilled jobs that are overpaid, and a lot of high stress highly skilled jobs that are way underpaid. So when people say govies are overpaid they are right in some cases, and when they say they are underpaid they are right in some cases. It's just about picking the job you are talking about.

• Like 1

> @SullGolf said:

> > @Ocgolfrick said:

> > Love this thread. All of us private industry workers dream of the benefits, federal holidays, and security that comes with having a government job, and it turns out all the government guys think WE have it good.

>

> I'm sure there were a lot of people that wished they had gov't jobs back in 2000 or 2009. Right now, not as many.

>

> With the way the GS system is set up, I personally don't feel there are many people that are properly compensated. There are a lot of low/mid-skilled jobs that are overpaid, and a lot of high stress highly skilled jobs that are way underpaid. So when people say govies are overpaid they are right in some cases, and when they say they are underpaid they are right in some cases. It's just about picking the job you are talking about.

I agree with you. I believe things have changed with the Govt since the early 2000s when I started in 2002. I enjoyed my time and did some great public health work. I was looking for learn other stuff and decided to leave.

> @gregh729 said:

> If you use the American Legion bridge, you have to be there before 2 or you will stop. I leave Springfied at 3-3:15 and don't get home to Damascus until 5. Basically gone 5a-5p every day, but 3hrs of that is on the road. B L O W S!

Holy crap! I thought my commute from Gaithersburg to Tysons sucked.

Links of Perry Inn.. A+

No range.. 6 simulators in door to warm up

Practice Putting green near the first tee

Greens have been the best I have played on all year and fairways were just as nice.

Bunkers were good.. rough around the green sand collars need more time to mature and come in. Some patchy spots but sporadic

What’s amazing is it can only get better.

No food or beverage. Might be open but still some improvements coming.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

When I say sporadic I mean only a few holes had some spots.

I really enjoyed the layout and improvements.

Played the tips... it’s a short 7000. Looking forward to another shot at it

protos F4

> @misplacedtexan83 said:

> Links of Perry Inn.. A+

>

> No range.. 6 simulators in door to warm up

>

> Practice Putting green near the first tee

>

> Greens have been the best I have played on all year and fairways were just as nice.

>

> Bunkers were good.. rough around the green sand collars need more time to mature and come in. Some patchy spots but sporadic

>

> What’s amazing is it can only get better.

>

> No food or beverage. Might be open but still some improvements coming.

>

>

>

Public or private?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Played PB Dye today. Really good condition but still a little soggy. Greens were smooth and a touch slower than usual. Just before we teed off, we looked at the score card. We've always played Gold tees there and it was around 6500 yds. They've now added Green tees at 6300 and pushed the Gold to 6700+. The past several times we have played it, we were thinking that they had just moved the Gold back a little for the day. Moved back up to the Green tees and it was much more enjoyable. 6700 is tough on us older guys.

> @XHoop24 said:

> Public or private?

Pretty sure its private or for people who stay at the Inn. So if you spend $1,000 a night on a room, you can spend $300 a round.

Contrary to all the email offers I've been getting - I dont think its going to ever be fully public.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

"I have general work hours of 8-5. Some days might be longer than others if I have international calls. Lots of Govt people think that industry is more pressure but I’d say it’s less and that’s confirmed by other colleagues who left this year. It’s a lot more exciting and people care about your work and what you bring to the team. Folks are rewarded for good work and recognized for what you do. I’ve been at it for almost 10 months now and I would never go back. I know folks that just got too comfortable and that wasn’t me. I wanted to learn new stuff so I left. Work life balance is great. I haven’t worked a weekend at all. Much different than at my old Govt job when there were times I needed to do stuff on the weekend or late at night because someone needed stuff first thing the next morning. Happy to chat about it the next time I see you. I’m sure there are probably horror stories but I haven’t experienced them and I also believe it depends on the type of company you work for too."

All of this is true until private industry has a turn down. Then you will wish for your government job because they never layoff anybody. The private industry is begging for people how because it is good times. Work Life balance "what the **** is that, NOT during bad times. You will feel the pressure then.

> @XHoop24 said:

> > @misplacedtexan83 said:

> > Links of Perry Inn.. A+

> >

> > No range.. 6 simulators in door to warm up

> >

> > Practice Putting green near the first tee

> >

> > Greens have been the best I have played on all year and fairways were just as nice.

> >

> > Bunkers were good.. rough around the green sand collars need more time to mature and come in. Some patchy spots but sporadic

> >

> > What’s amazing is it can only get better.

> >

> > No food or beverage. Might be open but still some improvements coming.

> >

> >

> >

>

> Public or private?

Pretty private - they have a member for a day special

Thru november

Used to be semi public

Now attach to the hotel and have to stay to play.

However.. if you ever have the itch call and see if you can get on.

protos F4

Worst they say is no..

protos F4

Any of you guys have experience with the Marc train between DC and Bmore? Had a talk with the roommate last night about living arrangements, and we tentatively decided to move near Union Station instead of Silver Spring, because neither of us really want to live in Silver Spring, and taking the train is probably less stressful than driving.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

> @ceejay81 said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > I dont know what "new release" I'd rather hear more about.

> >

> > The dumb Popeyes sandwich or 392 more pages debating a new KSig version.

>

>

>

> c1wz9ox5ebun.png

>

Oh man - so I have the ball for you. This was in my bucket last night at EPP range

jpz4wk93s9aj.jpeg

8z85lgo6n8zx.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

Played at Lakewood CC, MD on Monday for my company league.

Won 1st net play individual and CTP.

extremely difficult pin position + crazy fast green kinda helped me to win the tournament even with triple and quadruple on back 9. (Thanks to WM experience)

I think Lakewood CC is one of best course I have ever played. Marvelous condition from tee box to green.

Design seems pretty challenging for short hitters like me.

some long par 4s and some short par 4s with narrow fairway.

Elevated Greens are surrounded with many deep bunkers

Greens and aprons were dry-hard and fast. many struggled with putting even rolled them off green and down 10-15 yard off apron.

Driving game was ok. Due to rain night before, I was not getting any roll on fairway. using 5-6 iron for approach shot most of time.

my 6 iron was on fire yesterday and was able to stick on down at par 3 for CTP.

Putting was lucky enough to drop couple 6-8 footers to save Par/Bogey

I was sitting net 1 over on 7th hole (my 18th hole as shotgun start), which is handicap 1 index hole.

All I wanted was net bogey for that hole. and that got in my head and OBed first tee shot then pulled left 2nd tee shot to block myself from going to green. had to lay up then bladed approach shot to bunker shortsiding myself. lucky bunker shot then 2 putts out to close with quadruple.

Fortunate to win the tournament by 2 stroke even with that blow up.

One of my golf goal was to win something at legit tournament and it was well accomplished yesterday.

jvflqbki8vgt.jpg

i7ep04p697zg.jpg

mwwc8mmk5ouh.jpg

vv015ch1485r.jpg

0iri8vzb4cal.jpg

uvi6maeo5wzw.jpg

wjbhdzx5ncak.jpg

lf5s8bgf5hiv.jpg

4dshnz2dvya8.jpg

6b73khx9634g.jpg

> @siegel159 said:

> Any of you guys have experience with the Marc train between DC and Bmore? Had a talk with the roommate last night about living arrangements, and we tentatively decided to move near Union Station instead of Silver Spring, because neither of us really want to live in Silver Spring, and taking the train is probably less stressful than driving.

I did when I was in college during the summer. Lived in Baltimore and took the Marc train every day to Union station and then took the metro to DuPont Circle. Worked at a public health company as an intern. Paid great so I didn’t mind the commute and they let me come in early and leave early. I believe I was always on the 5am train so got to work around 6:30am maybe and then left around 3pm and make it back to Penn station a little before 5pm. I generally slept in the Marc train. Just make sure you get on the right one. There is also a Marc train that leaves union station to WV. It’s doable but I will say at the end of the summer I was glad I didn’t have to wake up that early anymore.

> @SoloShot84 said:

> > @baddomes said:

> > Well Done SS84.

> >

> > What'd you walk out of that pro shop with?

>

> 1 pair of shorts and 1 XS lady polo.

>

> Had to treat Mrs. with something

is that some "wide angle" lens on the first couple of pictures you took? Is it a phone?

Congrats on the win. Build on it. Good playing.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @ceejay81 said:

> I got out to Laurel Hill on Saturday with Dom and Christian. We got around in 3.5 hours. Was pretty much the perfect temperature to play golf in again. I thought the course was in really good condition for being almost November. It was only my 3rd time playing at LH but I absolutely love the course and wish I could play there more often. I hit the ball better than I ever have in my life on my way to shooting an 87. I hit 10/13 fairways (missed 2, 13, 15), hit 8 greens, shot 41 on the back - all career bests, but also whacked 38 putts. It coulda/shoulda been an 83 or better just thinking back on the day. I've sort of neglected the putting part of my game and have been focused more on fixing my full swing, and it shows. I was smashing the D all day and put myself in a lot of great spots. Slowly but surely the game is coming together. I just have to remember to keep my back swing shorter and my contact rate goes up a brazilian percent, no hyperbole. It's funny that I was struggling to keep my score below 100 for the first half of the year and now I'm nitpicking my rounds when I'm shooting in the 80's. I am committed to 2020 at Woodmore so I'm looking for my game to keep trending in the current direction. It's all about the repetitions for me.

>

That's what getting better looks like.

You'll have some steps back, but then, you'll have some round where you're sinking everything, but only hit 2 greens, but then you'll have some round where you hit the greens and make the putts and shoot that 83, and then you start chasing the next thing.

People "poo poo" when other people coulda/shoulda/woulda their rounds, but IMO, that's what you're chasing. Shoulda been an 83. Good. Go get that 83 next time and see where you left strokes out there that day, and that "shoulda" is your next number.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @SoloShot84 said:

> > > @baddomes said:

> > > Well Done SS84.

> > >

> > > What'd you walk out of that pro shop with?

> >

> > 1 pair of shorts and 1 XS lady polo.

> >

> > Had to treat Mrs. with something

>

> is that some "wide angle" lens on the first couple of pictures you took? Is it a phone?

>

> Congrats on the win. Build on it. Good playing.

all pic were taken by my phone.

one of them looks like wide angle because it was taken as panoramic