2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Awesome idea, very cool.

I saw those bags that a company makes with old flags and was going to get one made out of a few of the different MV flags - then I saw they were about $1k when all was said and done.

No flag bag for me.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

ROFL.

I dont know though, kind of depends. Is the article the Post is about to drop going to cause Snyder to finally sell the team? Sounds like its a pretty good hit piece and maybe Bezos shows up on his doorstep with a massive check. New owner, new stadium in DC?

I havent said this much in the 25 years I've lived here but its actually looking up for the Washington FC.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Roughly around that. Like my putter..through the kitchen sink at it.

tyler golf bag can make one for a lot cheaper - prints their bags

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

#11 par 5 at Norbeck CC was infuriating, but I hear they've trimmed the center-tree a bit.

#9 at Turf Original, can't figure that one out either

#3 at WoMan is borderline unfair. Fairway needs to be less cantered to the left, good drives end up in deep rough leaving an elevated shot to a horrifying green over a hazard. I mean, come ON.

#8 par 3 at PB Dye. Please.

Just some other ones besides the ones already mentioned.

Also, gotta reiterate: #18 at RTJ Lansdowne is a sin against humanity.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Bezos owns the Post. Would not be surprised if that is part of his takeover strategy. Guessing he's already got a purchase agreement in place with the other minority owners who wanted out last week.

Snyder won't sell unless the other NFL owners force him too. Unassailable evidence and the wrongdoing itself would have to be nuclear waste toxic for that to happen.

We'll see soon enough.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Actually, I'm hearing the article is exactly this kind of bad.

BUT - there have been nasty pieces written on him before. Sounds like this goes way beyond that though.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I only played Norbeck once, but when I did, I found my tee shot in the dead center of the fairway, blocked by that stupid tree.

#9 at TV-O is one that has to grow on you, but I actually think it's a fun hole.

#3 at WoMan could certainly use some softening, but there's a good golf hole at the core of it.

Why the dislike for #8 at PB Dye? It's hard sure, but I don't have anything against it. Nothing stands out about it, especially in the context of the rest of that golf course.

No. There's a course designed by one of RTJ's kids, at the Lansdowne resort, in Sterling.

I don't know if it's still in its original form, but I think it was #11 at Lake Presidential with the huge turtleback green? That's one I would care to never F with again.

For a home hole, I'd dynamite the 15th at CCMD. The narrow chute off the tee makes the hole play longer, and to give yourself any extra advantage you need to be able to hit a 30 yard slice that gets up above huge trees and a hill. And not that being a three-shotter is a bad thing, but the green is so severe that I've only seen 4 different pin locations on it ever. Mid irons, short, or even wedges, it's nearly impossible to hold your best approach shot on the correct level and the moundings make for some absurd up and down looks if you are unfortunate as to miss it.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I wouldn't mind WM 3 as much if they softened just one part of the hole. The neck where you want to hit driver off the blues feels like its 5 paces wide. If you blew out that portion of the fairway and cut it back to the cart path, you'd give people some more room off the tee. As it is that shot from there - which still means hitting a great drive - is 150 yards uphill, over a hazard to a very tricky green. Just widening out the fairway in that one spot would make it a little more fair while not taking away the rest of the teeth on that hole.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

PB Dye 8 is a good par 3, IMO. Nice green. tough 3. Easy 4.

9 at TVO is a very original par 4.5 that plays like no other hole I've ever played. I think it's one of the best holes on the property. It should be the easiest 5 you ever make, but there are SO MANY ways to tempt you. Par does not win that hole very often. Our other short 5 is also very good. I lost that hole with a birdie last week, and I've won that hole countless times against good golfers with a par. The par 5's on that course are good.

BTW, Tumor has a switch in his head where if he has an initial reaction to something, and you suggest an alternative, the switch flips and it gets stuck. It stops his brain from processing. This happened on Hole 9 one day.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

THIS!

I get that my brain has been polluted by growing up on bad golf courses where the name of the game is try to hit it center stripe fairway and have a dead flat lie for your approach to the green but that hole just seems like there is no good place to be. So I get DC's suggestion here. It's a 2nd shot hole (a really tough one at that) so make the driving aspect a bit easier.

There's no reward for any A+ drive. Even dead center will leave with you a crazy hanging lie into a green complex that is just death for anything left of it.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

I don't know how many times I've played TVO now, but I can say that I have never truly laid up on the 9th hole. There have been many times where my only shot to get something green high was to bang something up to the right of the green. Not just off the green right, either. I'm talking play it 40 yards right of the pin. For whatever reason, I elect to take that play every single time. But save for maybe a back-left pin, trying to play a third shot from 30+ yards to the right of that green is an atrocious place to be. I know as a general rule, you should always be better from short yardage than longer yardage, but this is a case where I think it truly would be better to have a wedge from the fairway, than to try and play from right of that green. I know this, but I still never lay up, when presented with that decision. I've never seen a hole where par is no good in a match as often as that hole. And I've never seen a hole where being a truly long hitter can unlock such a ridiculous cheat code. If you can carry the creek off the tee, it's a par 4. I'm hitting 5w-5w/3w to get the green, where PQ might hit driver-9 iron. You don't have to be quite PQ long to unlock it, but I'd need to be probably 15 yards longer to feel like it was an option.

My stock tee shot on #3 at WM is to try and pound one at that tree in the right rough. I don't generally miss right, so I'll rarely hit one into the giant drainage pit right of the path. And that gives plenty of room to miss left, before reaching the hazard. I'm not even thinking about trying to hit the fairway there.

Two times ago I hit a 3 iron down the right side, landed @ 5 yards into the fairway on the right side...bounce bounce bounce...now I'm in the left rough, thick lie, terrible second shot.

New plan is to just pound the D up the right side and go find it. If I'm going to have a terrible lie I'd rather have a 9 iron in than a 6 iron.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

One of the things about TVO 9 is that PQ can hit a driver and carry the creek left, and I can hit a hybrid and push it into the right rough and we'll both have like 220 in.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

TVO9. The three primary things. . .

1) The C-Line here plays about 470. This looks like how the course was designed. Hit in the fairway and then hit it at the green.

2) The circle in this picture is trees. Like short enough that you can hit a 7 iron over them comfortably from the C drive, but you better feel very good about hitting 4W off the deck to get it up.

3) There's a creek where the letter B is and another creek between the C & D and another creek running out towards the bottom right.

Anyway. . ."A" is playing up the first fairway. The course discourages this and they can actually place the tees on the tee box so that you can't.

"B" is hitting something like a hybrid or 4W out to the right rough. From there, you can hit directly, or with a small draw into the green. But you don't always get a good lie in the rough and there's a creek over there. Sometimes the "B" play is actually short of where I drew the X.

"C" is hitting a great drive into the far right corner of the fairway. If all goes well, you'll have a 215 shot into the green, DIRECTLY through the trees (the circle).

"D" the the PQ line. Bomb it over the creek and have 175 looking right at the green without the circle trees. Problem here is if a righty pulls it a little, where it's easier to carry the creek, you can get into the hazard or THICC rough with mounds. If a righty pushes it a little, he gets into a zone where 2 creeks come together and covering the main creek is like 295. The upside is that you can get a drop up there and have 150 in, so par is still possible.

The "problem" with this hole is that if you hit the normal "C" line and want to lay up, it's not an easy shot. You need to keep is left of the circle trees, but that kinda brings the creek into play, especially visually. Last time I checked my stroke average on this hole was 4.9. I've seen more eagles on this hole than any other hole ever.

tvo9.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Oh man, I hadnt considered this but I love it. I always end up in the right rough on 3 which makes the approach unnecessarily difficult in my mind. Its a tough shot from the fairway, i dont think its sour grapes to think they could make it a little wider in that advanced spot to have a still tough shot from the short grass. I stink at golf, give me a shot! And plus if you go way right (i often do!) you're down that slope and punished pretty severely.

Never played there and hard to get a real feel for it without knowing the topography and 'playing' visual, but to me this seems like a cool hole.

Obvious statement, but eagle should be really hard to do. Birdies should require at least one, if not two, really great shot(s).

I would have loved to play #2 at MD National with the tree in the middle of the fairway. One of my favorite muni's from back in PA had a huge group of tall trees blocking direct line to the green similar to this hole.

If you're able to drive it long enough and willing to take on the risk of the 'D' line then you get really good look at eagle and a GREAT change to walk away with at least birdie.

The lay-up from the C position may be visually intimidating but can't be much more than a wedge by the looks of it.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

The lay up from "C" is almost wedge-wedge. Most "lay ups" you see there are either because a guy got in the right rough and/or is blocked out and has to play to the fairway where "D" lands.

The problem with a proper lay up is that from most lay-up positions, you either need to take on the trees, or go left of them and that CAN BE a narrow patch of fairway where left can go into the creek. Also, there's a tree through the last fairway on that line ,and the far left is very thick all the time. It's like the whole course drains over there.

As opposed to Fabb, if I can, I like bailing right of the green. But I have soft hands and that shot doesn't bother me.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm going the opposite direction on WoMan #3 and saying they should keep the tee shot but remove all the hazard grass short of the green. It's a hazard that only punishes bad players. Good players aren't missing it 40 yards short of their target and ending up in there. I'm curious how often DL has been in that hazard considering all the times he'd played that course. Probably not often.

Mow it down, make it rough. Anyone that ends up there would still be hitting their 3rd in from 40-60 yards out of the rough to a tough elevated green. Making par from there would be a rare feat.

• Like 2

Has anyone listened to the NLU podcast that dropped on Tuesday?

I found the story about lead-up to Norman's final round at the '96 Masters to be incredibly fascinating.

Could you imagine on the morning of the super bowl, Tom Brady calling into the ESPN production boss to complain about some remark Trey Wingo made on NFL Live the night before?

DL is always in the same spots on the WM holes with his minor allowances for pin positions that most of us cannot relate to! Don’t think he ever chips or hits the fancy half shots we get stuck with.

Best way to play #3 at WM is to hit into the ditch between 3 and 4. That way you are forced to lay up and hope for a double bogey. Or ask CJ - he’s birdied that hole.