2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I believe the kids these days would call that BDE, DC. I also believe that there’s a point at which you need to possess said BDE, to break past certain barriers. I usually go through at least one stretch every season, where I feel the way it sounds like you do right now. Everything just feels easy. Not that I hit zero bad shots, but I’m never worried.

Hey guys I posted this in the club building forum but it should probably be here too....

So I’ve made the choice to finally go leather and order a set of grips from Best Grips. 

As far as installation goes, I know you can send your clubs down and Zach will install free of charge. While I am considering doing that, I also don’t know that I want to wait longer than I have too. 

My question is, for those of you in the DC Metro area, who would you be 100% confident with handling the install perfectly? Any other grips I wouldn’t be asking.

Thanks guys.

Nice, homie. I took the plunge on some grip masters 2.5 years ago and now have best grips and will never go back. I installed them all myself, and once you get the hang of them they are really not much harder than any other grip. I also took my first one to golfdom because I pysched myself out with the thought of botching a 20 dollar grip, just to see if a employed club tech had any tricks and they did not. After watching him do the one, I did the rest myself and easy peasy.

The biggest and most important thing with them imo, is to sand the butt of the shaft well to ensure no burrs are present then when you use tape make sure that you cover the butt with tape 100%. That will give you a second level of protection for the inner sleeve. Make sure to use a bit more spirits then normal, and should be good to go.

• Like 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Yeah I could probably handle the install, I just don’t want to attempt it since according to Best Grips site, it’s a little more involved than a normal install. As far as Golfdoms guys, they’re ok, but I haven’t been completely happy with them from a building perspective in the past so I’ll be going elsewhere.

Understandable. From first hand experience, I do all my clubwork and the warnings they give spooked me for the first one but after now doing 2 sets of leather grip installs myself its really no more involved than normal rubber grips. Just a little more prep and be careful, and should be good to go. If you are close to the Fairfax Golf Galaxy I know my buddy goes to them for his club work, and hes finicky but always was pleased. Usually used Paris I think his name was, but I havent seen him there in a while so he may have moved but the other guys seem capable too.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

It’s simple a install.

best grips for 3 years now.

Have blown them off and on multiple times

Its the only way to go especially with grips that are this expensive

painters tape, grip solvent, and an air compressor with an air hosel attachment. Easy peasy

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

If I ever paid for a full set of leather grips, I would definitely shell out extra for an air compressor setup.

Leather grips are amazing in hot and wet weather, but I hated the way they felt in cold weather.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

180 but last for years

wrx15 get you 15 percent off

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Sneek's Cali Recap (part 1)I wanted to put some thoughts down about my recent trip to Santa Cruz & Monterey. I think it helps me process the trip. I figured this was as good of a place as any and some of you might enjoy reading.

The short: It was amazing. The vibe. The views. The weather. The golf. All of it.

A good friend of mine from college had been planning to get married in Monterey for the past year. His now wife grew up there. As soon as I got the text, I was immediately angling how to play some golf while we were out there. Then Covid happened. Then the wedding was canceled. Then it was back on again. Then we didn’t know whether we should be traveling or not. Then the wedding was off again. And finally, it was back on at a different venue in Santa Cruz. Ultimately, my wife and I decided to go. We are glad that we did and will be keeping our distance from others for the next couple of weeks.

Pasatiempo:

Round 1 of the trip was at Pasatiempo. I was very curious about this course. I had read reviews where people called it their favorite course ever, and I had read reviews where people found it to be extremely overrated. I definitely lean more towards that first camp. It was so much fun to play.   The MacKenzie bunkering (restored by Doak) is spectacular and it is something I have never seen before. They are all unique in shape. They cut into the greens. They are raised in certain areas to deceive you from the tee and fairway. The greens are really interesting. They have slopes and humps and bumps which really put an emphasis on distance control and lag putting. I can’t imagine a better routing for the land. Especially the back 9. Uphill holes. Downhill holes. Playing across and next to the barranca.  Conditions were outstanding. 10/10. It was expensive. But, it’s a private club that allows outside play so they can charge whatever they want I suppose. If I lived in the area it would be a once a year type of place as a treat. It would be worth that. The logo is fire.

Favorite holes:

3rd (Par 3 – 222 yards)

Really tough par 3 that plays uphill. It does have one of the more simple greens on the course though that gives you a chance at an up and down when you most likely miss the green.

img-2420-jpeg.jpeg

10th (Par 4 – 437 yards)

Really fun tee shot to hit over the barranca that leaves a mid-iron in to a tough green.

img-2438-jpeg.jpeg

11th (Par 4 – 390 yards)

The barranca dissects the hole. A 225 yard shot is needed off the tee. That will leave around 165 yards straight up the hill to one of the best greens on the course.

img-2446-jpeg.jpeg

img-2448-jpeg.jpeg

14th (Par 4 – 426 yards)

Huge swales run through the fairway. Again something I have never seen.

img-2457-jpeg.jpeg

15th (Par 3 – 142 Yards)

Awesome short par 3. I pulled my wedge into the left hand bunker and had no shot at getting it up and down.

img-2460-jpeg.jpeg

16th (Par 4 – 400 Yards)

This is the famous 3-tiered green. The change in elevation from the 1st tier to the 3rd tier is impressive. The pin was all the way on the back tier which has to be the easiest pin. I hit it to the middle tier and was able to complete my 2-putt for a par.

img-2466-jpeg.jpeg

img-2467-jpeg.jpeg

• Like 1

Sneek's Cali Recap (part 2)Poppy Hills:

Round 2 of the trip was at Poppy Hills. There were lots of options to choose from for this round, but we decided on Poppy Hills. We were going to be playing with our friends who were also at the wedding and they didn’t really want to spend the cash for Spyglass or Spanish Bay. Which is understandable. Poppy Hills is normally $250, but they run a really good twilight deal for $75. Can’t beat that for a course with a Pebble Beach zip code.

I was pleasantly surprised with Poppy Hills. I knew nothing about it going into the trip other than it used to be in the rotation at the Pro-Am. From some research I learned that it had been renovated about 6 years ago. They sand capped the entire course, created sandy areas, widened playing corridors, and went to one cut of grass (no rough).I got major Pinehurst vibes from Poppy Hills. The sandy areas. Pines and cypress trees framing the holes. Firm conditions. Plus you are about a mile from the ocean and get some views of Monterey Bay at times. It was awesome.I liked the one cut of grass. It definitely helps with playability and speed of play as there is less looking for balls. Makes some shots tougher around the greens due to tighter lies.I don’t think I would ever pay $250 to play it, but $75 felt like a steal. They do offer very discounted rates if you join the NCGA.Conditions were again excellent.

Favorite Holes:

5th hole (Par 4 – 366 yards)

Options off the tee to challenge the bunkers on the left or hit it out to right leaving a longer approach. Challenging, narrow green.

img-2528-jpeg.jpeg

9th hole (Par 5 – 489 yards)

Double dog-leg par 5 with a green that finishes right next to the clubhouse. Excellent hole.

img-2541-jpeg.jpeg

img-2522-jpeg.jpeg

11th hole (Par 3 – 173 yards)

Very nice par 3 that plays back towards the ocean. Challenging 2-tiered green and the pin was on the top shelf.

img-2546-jpeg.jpeg

14th hole (Par 4 – 421 yards)

I loved the tee shot on this hole. Again playing back towards the ocean.

img-2556-jpeg.jpeg

With this heat wave, I'm starting to think that a July-time trip to Michigan or Canada would be appropriate in future years. The storms and high temps are really stressing out the fairways along with two weekends of championship play. We just need a 2-3 break in the super hot weather for a rebound though.

Yesterday was my first round with the PXG Closer, and I think it might actually be superior to my old Piretti. The length, toe hang, and weight are all identical (I planned it that way) but the roll is so much nicer off the Closer. A nice chonky blade is easier to line up and I found it easier to get the ball to the hole. One of my weak points is leaving dead center reads a couple of rolls short but yesterday they were pouring in. 7 one-putts. I did have two three-putts, but those were huge misses on the two biggest greens and it's hard to get down in two from ~100 feet.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

nice recaps and pics, sneek.

We have Club Champ tomorrow. We have about 30 guys signed up for 15 spots. We have 15 guys who are at or below 3.1 index signed up.

The qualifying round is on the "short/tight course" not the open course.

A few of us have been getting ready playing it. It's rated at like 72/138. My last 5/6 rounds on it have been 78/79/80/87/79. I've played some good rounds on it, but that course can just get you.

just yesterday :

Hole 1 : fairway. pull second shot left, cart path, OB. Triple.

Hole 7 : blind lay-up second shot. I hit the same shot I've hit a million times. Get to my spot. No ball. Double. Maybe hit cart path.

Hole 9, pull tee shot left. Double.

I've got 4 pars and a birdie at the turn and I'm 8 over.

Then, I went birdie-par-birdie and had 3 more looks at birdie inside 10 feet coming in.

+8/Even on the two sides.

You need to survive that course mentally. My plan is to play very conservatively tomorrow. Like "double avoidance". it's not about birdies yet.

Sunday, you're going to have a few plusses playing, but the 4 seed playing the 13 seed could be about a 1 stroke difference in handicap.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Good luck this weekend CIty! CC is my favorite weekend of the year. Results aside, it is just a great weekend hang, lots of great golf to be played and a lot of great golf to be followed around on the course too. When my match was done Sunday I watched the rest of the Championship Flight 36 hole final, one guy is a +2, one is a +0.5. Thats big boy golf.

I put my clubs up on Sunday night and have had a good break this week. Weather has helped the forced rest the last couple nights though.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Sneek's Cali Recap (part 3)Pebble Beach:

Our final round of the trip was at Pebble Beach. A place that has been on my bucket list for a long time. I don’t think that I am going to write anything about Pebble that people don’t already know. It is amazing. It is worth it. Go and play it if you have the chance.

Because of Covid Pebble Beach is currently not requiring a stay at the resort to get a guaranteed tee time. This saves a BUNCH of money. We happily took advantage of this opportunity. Conditions were spectacular. The tee shot on 1 is more intimidating than the pro's make it look. I knew the greens were small, but I never had an appreciation for just how small some them are. The green on number 4 is especially small. I think I laughed out loud when I walked up to the green. They also had more slope than I expected.The walk from 6 green to 7 tee is spiritual. I hit the green with my 56 degree wedge. The 2nd shot on 8 is also stunning.9 and 10 seemed similar to me. I birdied 10. Pounded a drive down the right side of the fairway, stuck it to 10 feet, and then rolled in the putt.15 was my favorite of the inland holes.The 18th tee shot is also spectacular. I know why the pros hit 3-woods off of this tee now. That tree is right in the landing area. My drive ran through the fairway and into the last bunker. Not a good place to be. The marine layer is a real thing.

Tee shot on 1.

img-2577-jpeg.jpeg

My tee shot on the par 3 5th. Missed the putt though....

img-2601-jpeg.jpeg

6th hole. You really can't see anything on your 2nd shot due to the massive hill.

img-2603-jpeg.jpeg

7th hole. Front pin was hard to get to. I had about 25 feet coming back up the hill.

img-2612-jpeg.jpeg

img-2617-jpeg.jpeg

img-2624-jpeg.jpeg

2nd shot on 8.

img-2628-jpeg.jpeg

From the 9th fairway.

img-2640-jpeg.jpeg

The 18th tee.

img-2666-jpeg.jpeg

img-2668-jpeg.jpeg

• Like 1