MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

33 minutes ago, Boogs2 said:

Looking forward to hitting this succulent tool of debauchery.

15* bent to 13*.

*drool

Nice, I bet I hit my putter with higher traj than that. 

• Like 2

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Dibs on that when it hits the BST...

• Like 4

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

5 hours ago, davechen said:

A couple Hive guys are WoMan members.  I think a couple more are joining.  Many Hivers have played it and ❤️ it.  I'm fine with it and have thought about joining.  But not sure about a 5 year commitment though, since we'll probably be running off to live in a cave in Canada soon.

The five year commitment at WM works out to $35/week. BTW, the greens are running scary fast again. 
Agree with Sully that the main advantage to the White tees is hitting wedge instead of a mid iron. Appreciate #11 the more I play it. 

12 hours ago, TheCityGame said:

The white tees at Worthington are 6000 yards. Reds are 5200. That's a big gap, but I still don't think they need a mixed set. The course has two uncommonly tough holes, but other than that, it's very playable for a bogey golfer from the white tees. 6000 yards doesn't automatically mean you can top a driver, top a 3 wood, and have a wedge into the green. 

When I played last week with Tumor (who never plays there), he said something interesting : he considers Worthington a "players" course. Like more serious golfers get out to Worthington. And Worthington promotes this image (US OPEN QUALIFIER 2010 2012 2015!!!!). 

I was thinking about that a little. . .3 & 12 are SOBs as has been well documented, but that course has forced carries (off the tee, into th green, or both) on 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 17, 18. People who don't hit the ball well don't play that course well. There are spots around the green that make it very difficult to get up and down. It's very much target golf that has to be attacked through the air with traj and spin to score well.

I really like the course from the whites, blues and blacks. Every set of tees is a whole new set of challenges/options/expectations. 

Not every golf course is going to cater to all golfers. Like I said, I played in a league on that course for a few years and you'd see a 20 handicap who was hitting his driver well put up a 40 one week, and the next week when he missed a few, he'd put up a 52. 

Agree that there is no way to make every course perfect for all. Especially WM. There are no holes where you can be off with any part of your game. Bad ball strikers have their work cut out for them. 

4 hours ago, aiyyer said:

The five year commitment at WM works out to $35/week. BTW, the greens are running scary fast again. 
Agree with Sully that the main advantage to the White tees is hitting wedge instead of a mid iron. Appreciate #11 the more I play it. 

I thought that deal was too good to be true, there must of be a catch.  Unlimited greens fee, unlimited cart fee, there's gotta be some hidden fee.  Most course charge that for ONE year of full golf.  

Makes me wish I lived in Maryland.  Unfortunately I would probably spend more time on 95/270 than I would playing golf....  Still very tempting....

• Like 1

If you live right near WM thats a good deal. Unfortunately if you dont, like you said, you're going to spend a lot of time on 270 getting up there.

I'm sure they count on - especially in the DC area - people paying up front and then moving away, moving farther from the course, getting a new job and not playing anymore etc. 5 years is a pretty long time to play at one place, heck I know we've had a bunch of guys in this thread join clubs and leave in less than 5 years. 

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

8 hours ago, Huggs157 said:

I thought that deal was too good to be true, there must of be a catch.  Unlimited greens fee, unlimited cart fee, there's gotta be some hidden fee.  Most course charge that for ONE year of full golf.  

Makes me wish I lived in Maryland.  Unfortunately I would probably spend more time on 95/270 than I would playing golf....  Still very tempting....

The Hive is the club that some of us formed 4 or so years ago. We have 10-ish tournaments a year, mostly in Md. 

You're allowed to play up to 2 events before needing to join. 

To join, play some events and/or casual rounds with people (board members preferably) in the Hive. 

The requirements are basically, "don't cheat and don't be a A hole." 

The next tournament is the "Turkey Party", our annual scramble in November. This year it's at Rattlewood. 

email [email protected] to ask about getting into that tournament, or inquire about membership. I'm not involved with that tournament or membership, so don't @ me.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

1 hour ago, TheCityGame said:

The Hive is the club that some of us formed 4 or so years ago. We have 10-ish tournaments a year, mostly in Md. 

You're allowed to play up to 2 events before needing to join. 

To join, play some events and/or casual rounds with people (board members preferably) in the Hive. 

The requirements are basically, "don't cheat and don't be a A hole." 

The next tournament is the "Turkey Party", our annual scramble in November. This year it's at Rattlewood. 

email [email protected] to ask about getting into that tournament, or inquire about membership. I'm not involved with that tournament or membership, so don't @ me.

Thanks for the info!  Will definitely do that.  

I finally played Bulle Rock yesterday and I have mixed feelings about the course. The weather was perfect and the conditions were absolutely fabulous as expected. As was discussed here, we played the hybrid blue/white tees of 6206. Long enough for me. It was a good compromise for our group since there were 2 guys who are longer hitters and 2 short knockers. Most of the course is right out in front of you and the only hole I really didn't like was the par 5 15th that has the sorta split fairway. It just didn't suit my eye or as it turns out my game. I played bogey, double bogey most of the day since just like the rest of the season I couldn't buy a putt. A triple on 13 and a blow up on the previously mentioned 15 led to an even 100. Not great but I feel like I played better than that.

My only real complaint is the customer service. Other than the starter who was pretty funny and loose, the rest of the staff seemed a bit uptight and not super pleasant. Nobody was rude but for a higher priced course that bills itself as a somewhat elite place to play, the folks there could have better a demeanor. Just my observation.

One thing I found odd about the clubhouse, on the pro shop level was the placement of the rest rooms. You need to wind your way down a couple of long corridors and find the locker rooms and head all the way to the back to take a leak. Not really a big deal but a poor design, especially after too much coffee on the trip to the course.

At the fall rate of $74 it was reasonable. Not sure I want to pay the $99 summer rate. I will definitely play there again but I don't feel the urge to rush back. I think I would rather play one of the W's.

• Like 1

On the drive home from Bulle Rock we detoured to DiPasquales to grab a couple of sandwiches to take home.  I got the large meatball sandwich that I split with my daughter and a Real Italian for lunch today.  So good. They close at 5:00 most days so you have to plan your visit. It is a real experience and worth the trip.

Its been so long since I've been to Bulle I forget any real specifics about the course. But its such a haul from me that it needs to be A++ to justify the trip. $99 actually seems cheaper than I remember it being.

I do remember I left my wedges at home after regripping them and the pro shop gave me a set of blue Vokeys right off the rack to use for the round - no questions asked.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Bulle used to be $125. 

Like 10+ years ago it was $125. 

most people really like that course. Most people are really disappointed with the staff. 

I don't dig the vibe. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

They were legit wedges. I like the course and liked having a caddie. I strongly disliked the attitude of the starter on the first tee explaining how to fix ball marks and why you must ONLY use the ball mark repair tool that they gave you. Pretty sure it was one of those single prong things.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

At SPCC we are using a mixed set of tee's. They are rated and play at 6325. It took 4 months to get the rating back from MSGA. I do not remember anyone coming to the course. I believe it was all done by email, but could be wrong about that. 

Black - 6890

Orange - 6590

Orange/Gold - 6325

Gold - 6050

Purple - ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terphack said:

I finally played Bulle Rock yesterday and I have mixed feelings about the course. The weather was perfect and the conditions were absolutely fabulous as expected. As was discussed here, we played the hybrid blue/white tees of 6206. Long enough for me. It was a good compromise for our group since there were 2 guys who are longer hitters and 2 short knockers. Most of the course is right out in front of you and the only hole I really didn't like was the par 5 15th that has the sorta split fairway. It just didn't suit my eye or as it turns out my game. I played bogey, double bogey most of the day since just like the rest of the season I couldn't buy a putt. A triple on 13 and a blow up on the previously mentioned 15 led to an even 100. Not great but I feel like I played better than that.

My only real complaint is the customer service. Other than the starter who was pretty funny and loose, the rest of the staff seemed a bit uptight and not super pleasant. Nobody was rude but for a higher priced course that bills itself as a somewhat elite place to play, the folks there could have better a demeanor. Just my observation.

One thing I found odd about the clubhouse, on the pro shop level was the placement of the rest rooms. You need to wind your way down a couple of long corridors and find the locker rooms and head all the way to the back to take a leak. Not really a big deal but a poor design, especially after too much coffee on the trip to the course.

At the fall rate of $74 it was reasonable. Not sure I want to pay the $99 summer rate. I will definitely play there again but I don't feel the urge to rush back. I think I would rather play one of the W's.

Even with the drive I would gladly pay $99 for Bullet Rock then the $108 I overpaid for Musket Ridge. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mizuno player said:

Even with the drive I would gladly pay $99 for Bullet Rock then the $108 I overpaid for Musket Ridge. 

That's out of season rates??  Good Lord!  The last time I played Bulle Rock I didn't like either .... the course or the staff.  The course was in horrible shape for the price paid.  The staff actually acted like we were beneath them & why were we there.  It was just an unpleasant day all around.  And I haven't been back since.  

Musket Ridge is not worth that.  C'mon over $100 is really a reach for them.  

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

3 hours ago, HackinNut said:

That's out of season rates??  Good Lord!  The last time I played Bulle Rock I didn't like either .... the course or the staff.  The course was in horrible shape for the price paid.  The staff actually acted like we were beneath them & why were we there.  It was just an unpleasant day all around.  And I haven't been back since.  

Musket Ridge is not worth that.  C'mon over $100 is really a reach for them.  

In season on a weekend. Course was in horrible shape. Pace was really slow. They had twosomes out on a Sunday. Won't be going back. MD National I liked much better and I live less than 10min from WM. No need to go back there thankfully. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FAbb said:

Courses could charge just about whatever they want this year, and people are gonna pay it. Demand is outrageously high. 

Yep, agreed. I have a rotation of 4 or 5 courses I usually play, and as of Tuesday, all of them were fully booked through 2pm for both Saturday and Sunday. I refuse to settle for the driving range this late in the season. Going to tour a few private clubs in early spring and join one

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FAbb said:

Courses could charge just about whatever they want this year, and people are gonna pay it. Demand is outrageously high. 

WOW that is interesting. In the Myrtle Beach area there is a price war going on. Courses like World Tour have really discounted rates. Some friends of mine were down a month ago and did the walk on price of $45. The cheapest I ever saw it was $65 and I was a member of Prime Times at the time. Part of it is because the US Canadian border is locked down from what I have been told and that is killing some of the upper tier courses here

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Awesome pictures @eagle1997 I especially love the fifth one down from the green back toward the fairway with the backdrop. Amazing. 

• Like 1

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach