2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

Just now, dvyChan1987 said:

It is a bummer but it’s tough with the taper tip shafts is what I was told. Other than lead tape, how else could you add weight to the head for swing weight?

Tip weights

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I’ve seen someone with thin shinier lead tape that didn’t look too bad, would match the head, rather than the dull grey thick tape I used to get from Golfsmith. Just need to find that shiny tape. I’ll figure it out. I hit today, hit better- the 5 & 6 are automatic, they feel great. The others feel real light and a lot of toe shots. 

1 hour ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Sub70 will be giving me a discount on the clubs due to the 6i issue. It would take another long wait to get one built and shipped again. 

The swingweight issue I was told to just add lead tape. Does anyone know which tape would be best to use on these? And how much Id need based on the sw pic I posted to get them to d2? I don’t have a club scale. I can definitely feel the difference going from iron to my Cleveland wedges. Thanks! 

That's weird, I did a custom order last fall of black 639 cb taper tip heads and shafts and requested a certain swingweight.  When they came the were all right around d0 instead of d2.  I sent CS an email on Friday night after the I got home from work and opened the clubs and double checked them on my swingweight scale.  I got a call from someone at Sub70 Saturday mid morning apoligizing and offering to email me a label right then to send them back and have them fixed.  Since it was late September and I didn't want to possibly wait a couple of weeks for the rebuild (you never know when it might snow in michigan), i just had them mail me a new set of ferrules and rebuilt to the correct swingweight myself.  I am a hobby club builder and have a shop with all the tools in the basement and had them ready for play the next day after i got the ferrules on Tuesday.  But I did try them before I changed them and they were all over the place at the lighter swingweight.  But were money once I changed them over.

Edited by kruege

Titleist TSR3 9.0 Ventus Black 6X
Titleist TSi2 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75X

Callaway Epic Flash 18 Rogue Max 85TX
Titleist TSi2 21 Tensei AV Blue 75X
Sub 70 639 CB Black 5-8 KBS 120S
Sub 70 639 MB Black 9-PW KBS 120S
Sub 70 JB Black 48 KBS Tour S
Sub 70 JB Black 54 KBS TGI 80S
Sub 70 JB Full Groove Black 58 KBS TGI 80S
Bettinardi QB6 SBS

17 minutes ago, kruege said:

That's weird, I did a custom order last fall of black 639 cb taper tip heads and shafts and requested a certain swingweight.  When they came the were all right around d0 instead of d2.  I sent CS an email on Friday night after the I got home from work and opened the clubs and double checked them on my swingweight scale.  I got a call from someone at Sub70 Saturday mid morning apoligizing and offering to email me a label right then to send them back and have them fixed.  Since it was late September and I didn't want to possibly wait a couple of weeks for the rebuild (you never know when it might snow in michigan), i just had them mail me a new set of ferrules and rebuilt to the correct swingweight myself.  I am a hobby club builder and have a shop with all the tools in the basement and had them ready for play the next day after i got the ferrules on Tuesday.  But I did try them before I changed them and they were all over the place at the lighter swingweight.  But were money once I changed them over.

Maybe they just got too busy now with all their success and new orders. 

1 hour ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Sub70 will be giving me a discount on the clubs due to the 6i issue. It would take another long wait to get one built and shipped again. 

The swingweight issue I was told to just add lead tape. Does anyone know which tape would be best to use on these? And how much Id need based on the sw pic I posted to get them to d2? I don’t have a club scale. I can definitely feel the difference going from iron to my Cleveland wedges. Thanks! 

If you don’t want lead tape on your irons, any good club builder can pull the shafts and install tip weights to have the set matched. However, you shouldn’t have to pay someone to fix a set that was built incorrectly. I just bought a putter from Sub70 and am looking at buying a set of irons as well, so not bashing them, but if you can’t send them back and have the swingweights fixed I would return them under their playability guarantee. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

If you don’t want lead tape on your irons, any good club builder can pull the shafts and install tip weights to have the set matched. However, you shouldn’t have to pay someone to fix a set that was built incorrectly. I just bought a putter from Sub70 and am looking at buying a set of irons as well, so not bashing them, but if you can’t send them back and have the swingweights fixed I would return them under their playability guarantee. 

well said. this kind of issue and the recent callaway trade in bonus swayed me away from purchasing unfortunately. Although, i likely would have if callaway didn't have the trade in bonus.

2 hours ago, JaySub70 said:

Hey @GolfingLefty18 sorry to hear about the SW issue. That's definitely not the case though...we're providing the same service as we always have. We're constantly expanding our CS team and will always do everything we can to offer the same service as we did on day one. 

Did you request the D2 SW with the order through us? I'm not 100% in the know since I don't work directly in assembly or customer support...but we do have tip weights and should be able to get them to what you need (assuming the shaft, grip and length make it doable). I'm sure we can figure something out if you want to avoid the lead tape fix. I would just email our Sales Director, Cody, at [email protected] and he'll see what the best options are. 

Thank you!

Thank you Jay! I’ll do just that in the AM. Just got home from a looong day of work, and I appreciate the response. Love the feel of the clubs when struck well, and even the forgiveness as I work through this issue. Thank you brother, congrats on the great clubs. 

• Like 1

Just got back a little while ago from their demo day in Marengo. Guys were great and helpful. I was most interested in fairway woods and really liked the 949X. Tried a 3 and 4 and hit both well. The ball just jumped out there. Then I tried the 949X hybrid. I’ve played an F8 hybrid since it came out and it’s been very good for me but I could definitely could see replacing it. The 949X seemed more forgiving and the 4 was as long as my Cobra which is a 3 with higher ball flight. Looks like I know what my next birthday and Christmas presents are. 

• Like 2

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

On 5/31/2022 at 2:28 PM, JA17 said:

Looking for reviews of the JB full groove wedges (especially LB) from anyone who has them in the bag now before I purchase. Thanks in advance.

Alright, I'm back.  New Sub70 clubs showed up a couple weeks ago (shipped almost exactly 2 weeks after my order) and finally got them out today.  I have the JB Full Face in 54 (bent to 55) and 60, they were amazing.  I rarely play full shots with my 55/60 so I really like having the full face grooves.  They were spinny without being overly aggressive, I really like the grind on the 54/60 as well.  Overall I was really impressed, they felt fanastic.  The 50* 286 was a really nice addition to my bag as well... unfortunately it took shot from a rock hidden in the rough so it got a pretty nasty battle scar on the first round out but the sub70 wedges are a great value.  

On 5/31/2022 at 2:42 PM, Rbsiedsc said:

Thinking of going 949x 4w and 7w and then maybe 949x hybrid (currently have a 939x 3H but looking for more launch. Anyone have experience with those woods and how they compare to other OEMs? Wondering if the 4w would beat out my super hybrid and be a more forgiving option. 

I ordered a 949x 3w and 3h, didn't hit the 3h at all today but the 949x 3w was really nice.  Super minimalist design at address all black with some exposed carbon weave.   The ball jumped off the face and when I hit it well it felt great.  Really pleased so far with these clubs as well.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, *sigh* said:

Alright, I'm back.  New Sub70 clubs showed up a couple weeks ago (shipped almost exactly 2 weeks after my order) and finally got them out today.  I have the JB Full Face in 54 (bent to 55) and 60, they were amazing.  I rarely play full shots with my 55/60 so I really like having the full face grooves.  They were spinny without being overly aggressive, I really like the grind on the 54/60 as well.  Overall I was really impressed, they felt fanastic.  The 50* 286 was a really nice addition to my bag as well... unfortunately it took shot from a rock hidden in the rough so it got a pretty nasty battle scar on the first round out but the sub70 wedges are a great value.  

I ordered a 949x 3w and 3h, didn't hit the 3h at all today but the 949x 3w was really nice.  Super minimalist design at address all black with some exposed carbon weave.   The ball jumped off the face and when I hit it well it felt great.  Really pleased so far with these clubs as well.

good to hear. I went with a callaway HL3w  but may consider sub70 for a 7w since its very hard to get one from an OEM or second had spec'd properly and with a shaft weight you like

• Like 2

I play the Sub 70 699u Pro 17* driving iron.  It has a really clean look with minimal offset. What I like most is all the stock shaft options they provide.  I put a hzrdus black 90g 6.5 in the driving iron for no upcharge!

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5* OG Hzrdus Black 6.5 70g

Exotics EX10 Beta TI 15* Hzrdus Black 6.5 80g 

Cobra Radspeed Tour 19* Aldila NV 2KXV green 85TX

Callaway Apex MB ‘18 / Apex Pro Dot 4-P DG TI X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack Raw 50F, 56F, 60 FF DGTI S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Design No. 5  35"/71*/4*

On 3/28/2019 at 4:09 PM, Armour248 said:

> @JShaw said:

> Those look pretty slick. Also looks like a pretty wide sole on the 9. Are all the irons in the 699s hollow bodied?

>

Yeah all hollow with a gel injection behind the face. Definitely more launch/distance compared to the forged heads.

So they’ve actually got gel in the hollow cavity? I had no idea Sub70 did that, nice 

• Like 1

I like the way the 639 and 659’s look. I ordered just a 4 iron, looks good…has anyone ever measured or know the groove depth on these , just visually compared to my Titleist and Srixon’s they appear shallow, but just a visual assessment. Just curious if anyone knows anything regarding this, thanks

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, axrh87 said:

I like the way the 639 and 659’s look. I ordered just a 4 iron, looks good…has anyone ever measured or know the groove depth on these , just visually compared to my Titleist and Srixon’s they appear shallow, but just a visual assessment. Just curious if anyone knows anything regarding this, thanks

Really?

• Haha 1

Discovered Sub 70 in 2021 and did not make a purchase until 2022. I wanted 5HY which was the first club I sprung for from them. Followed up almost immediately and got their 4 Wood which has been an excellent addition to my bad having not had a wood in between driver and 3HY for a year+. I'll be doing a wedge fitting later this summer and will likely go with their wedge set as well. Very pleased with the product, turnaround time, and overall buying experience. They are appreciative of the business which makes it that much better.

It helps to know a bit about your swing and club preferences if you cannot go to their fitting shop as you will have decisions to make for shaft, grip, etc. upon ordering.

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

• Like 3

I know it is early but I believe I could be a full Sub 70 loyalists now!!!!

I have been playing PXG for the past 3+ years and I currently have the Gen4 0311ST and 0211ST models.   I really like the clubs and I have been playing really well but had my eyes on a set of the 659CB / TC since i heard about them on this site and just loved the look of them.    Damn you WRX!!!!      I did try the Haywood CB/MB combo for several months and just really struggled with my game because of the inconsistency I seen with them.  I felt like I gave them plenty of time before calling it quits but nothing wrong with the clubs at all; they are great clubs and they feel outstanding but was way more consistent with PXG  over the Haywoods.    I think I was on the Sub 70 website 25 times but never pulled the trigger on them.    

I came across the opportunity via BST to jump on some 659 CB / TC combo irons with my configuration; the only thing missing is the 4 iron.   Combo was 5,6 - CB / 7-AW TC.     I have played 5 rounds and a few practice sessions and I will say these things are the real deal.   They feel outstanding, look incredible behind the ball with perfect offset and do fairly well with mishits (depending on CB vs TC).  My 659's are 1 degree weak than standard since I wanted to keep consistency with my PXG's but after playing them now for 4 solid rounds (first round does not count just feeling the clubs out)  - the 659's are around 8-10 yards longer across the board.   They feel like they explode off the face and provide enough confidence to let it rip.  My miss lately has been a "toey" miss and they handle that miss really well.  Maybe 8-10 yards short but most of all they remain straight and the good news is you immediately know when you mishit a shot based off feel alone.   This iron allows you to hit different shots with ease just like my ST but give me the added forgiveness that I was missing on some days.   Again, this could be a honeymoon phase but at this point I am really impressed and they are now my gamers.       

I will give these a good run next week in Vegas - we are playing 5 times in 6 days so we shall see how they work out for me.   

Just an outstanding value found right now with Sub 70 and their customer service is just freaking amazing and customer focused.     I reached out to buy the 4 iron and it was so easy and I will say there was some shock when the price was revealed but the shock was a good thing especially since I went with the Steelfiber shaft.    

I will be looking at the top end of the bag  at some point in the future since  my TS3 3 could be replaced next.   Any reviews lately on the Pro Fairway wood???

I hope this helps others make a decision if you are on the fence like I was for the past 25 visits to their website.  Don't hesitate - they will be awesome for you!!!!

Edited by MPG
  • Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: PXG Gen 6 22* 4 - Tour AD 95x
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Steelfiber Reserve 110cw
Wedges:  TaylorMade MG3 54* / Taylormade Hi Toe 58* - KBS TGI
Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

16 minutes ago, J_Birdie said:

Can someone post the swing weight of their 659TC PW & what grip and shaft you have?

Being told a MCC4, X100 TI, standard length will be pushing D7... 

I am playing TC in my PW and AW with Steelfiber 95 stiff with additional 1/2 inch from standard (36 1/4) and I am at D4.    I am using the golf pride 360 grips.    

• Like 1

Putter: 1st - Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2022 AVX, Tour B XS, TP5x  (Left Dash is number 1 ball but Bridgestone XS is close second)  

Just now, MPG said:

I am playing TC in my PW and AW with Steelfiber 95 stiff with additional 1/2 inch from standard (36 1/4) and I am at D4.    I am using the golf pride 360 grips.    

I should have stated that I play my PW and AW at the same length. I struggled to always fill the gap between PW and 54* and I have tried messing with the loft on AW but hated the look after doing it so I made the length the same, kept loft the same and BINGO - works perfectly.   

On 7/9/2022 at 10:20 PM, J_Birdie said:

Anyone else find the 659 TC 9/PW a little round and chunky? Definitely doesn’t look as compact as the 7i CB to my eye 

After reading this I had to go out to my bag and verify since i never really noticed it.    I have the TC model from 7-Gap and I do think the PW and GW have a slight round look to them but I dont think they are chunky at all.  it is interesting since I put the 9 iron down but I dont see the rounded look at all; only in the wedges and that is a slight rounded look.     If you did not state that i probably would not have really noticed - unlike the Mizuno from the MP 5 (i believe) where the wedge looked horrible.   

Off subject; I will say the 4-6 CB blends so well with the 7-G TC models that you forget you are playing a blended set which I love.   

• Like 1

Have decided that i need a 659CB set, but i want to combo it a bit, so looking for some advice...

The 4 iron...is easy to hit, or should i go with the 699 pro? At the other end i am thinking about going with the TAIII in the PW and AW - any thoughts on this? Difference between the TAIII and MB in the shorter irons?

And last question - what finish? Cant decide between the black oxide finish or the raw. Any pictures of how the raw finish ages?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Papa Tee said:

I received the 659 TC demos and it looks like the 9 iron has more offset than the listed 1.5mm on the website.  Anyone else think the offset looks a bit odd?  The head was in plastic and did not appear to be altered prior to me getting it.

Did you measure it? The eyes can play tricks on you.