2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sub 70 Clubs

apex17

4 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

What's their most forgiving forged model?

I would think the 659 CB would have the slightest edge over the 639 CB. I hit the 639 CB extensively and found it to be a quality, soft feeling CB. Was very close to purchasing it. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 3:41 PM, AutomaticTwoDown said:

Just an observation that the Sub70 thread is at 70 pages.

I think I started reading this thread when it was less than 10 pages. Made many purchases since and happy with each. Probably head to Marengo next Friday for their demo day. My 3w and hybrid are ready for retirement. 

• Like 2

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Just unboxed my Fathers Day gift to myself. First brand new set custom made for me in my 20+ years of playing.. Beautiful irons, love the extra goodie gifts in the box. Combo

set of CB, TC, & MBs with KBS Tour 130x with Dri-Tac 2.0’s . Just a question on weighting since I recently did a fitting that dialed me in at D2. Sub 70 included the swing weights, and all are in the C’s to low D’s. Will these lighter weights make a big difference, and if so how can I adjust them? I won’t be able to use them for a couple weeks because of work, but just want to know what I’m in for with the lighter weights. Can’t wait to hit them! 

867028F8-F97A-428E-88CD-3FF64B211D39.jpeg

2F671FE3-DC5D-4F37-BF4B-0579410CBB78.jpeg

Edited by GolfingLefty18
Wrong pic
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Just unboxed my Fathers Day gift to myself. First brand new set custom made for me in my 20+ years of playing.. Beautiful irons, love the extra goodie gifts in the box. Combo

set of CB, TC, & MBs with KBS Tour 130x with Dri-Tac 2.0’s . Just a question on weighting since I recently did a fitting that dialed me in at D2. Sub 70 included the swing weights, and all are in the C’s to low D’s. Will these lighter weights make a big difference, and if so how can I adjust them? I won’t be able to use them for a couple weeks because of work, but just want to know what I’m in for with the lighter weights. Can’t wait to hit them! 

Lead tape is your friend. Tbh, if you asked for a certain sw, they should make it right and there CS is hands down awesome so I hope they help you out. 

This is also interesting to see as I was going to likely order a fw and was going to specify a certain sw and didn’t know if they could. 

Edited by Rbsiedsc
  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

1 minute ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Lead tape is your friend. Tbh, if you asked for a certain sw, they should make it right and there CS is hands down awesome so I hope they help you out. 

I did ask for D2 and customer service said they would add a note to get it as close to it as they can. Adding lead tape to the beauties will be a shame cuz they’re so darn purdy. 

1 hour ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

That’s not good on the swingweights….

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 5/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, dvyChan1987 said:

2 rounds in using the 659 CB and I am really enjoying these clubs. They feel great and still have good workability. Distance and control is great. These will be the gamers for the remainder of the season 100%.

set make up for those who may ask:

659 CB 4-PW

KBS Tour 125 S+
GP MCC +4 standard

Do you know the swingweights on your irons? I got them with KBS 130, was going to do the MCC’s - and got these light swingweights.  

9 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Do you know the swingweights on your irons? I got them with KBS 130, was going to do the MCC’s - and got these light swingweights.  

They are relatively the same. I started with all CB and the. Switched to just CB in 4 & 5 and TC through the rest. So I had a set of t100 that had the KBS 130x in them and they were not this light so I’m curious of headwieght.

15 minutes ago, dvyChan1987 said:

They are relatively the same. I started with all CB and the. Switched to just CB in 4 & 5 and TC through the rest. So I had a set of t100 that had the KBS 130x in them and they were not this light so I’m curious of headwieght.

May not be an apples to apples comparison IF the sub70 are using parallel tip shafts then they will be descending weight.  I know they have said that they have some models available in taper, but I believe it needs to be requested, otherwise you are getting parallel.  Combo of the shaft being CB + descending weight + tolerances = potential for lighter than normal SW's.

Just now, ode said:

May not be an apples to apples comparison IF the sub70 are using parallel tip shafts then they will be descending weight.  I know they have said that they have some models available in taper, but I believe it needs to be requested, otherwise you are getting parallel.  Combo of the shaft being CB + descending weight + tolerances = potential for lighter than normal SW's.

Mine are taper tip and I know cause I sent them in to sub 70 for build. This not me complaining but more curiosity. Lead tape and I are friends lol

• Like 1

Well then I’ll tape them up if need be. They are parallel. Maybe I’m just over thinking it, Im going to go hit them at the range across the street while the family gets Fathers Day stuff together. I’ll come back with some results. 
Just not the 6 iron- the 6 looks like it’s been hit or in someone’s bag. It has a gash in the face, some rubbing on the sole, and the back has some bag chatter on it. All the others looks fresh mint brand new. 

BE1D25CB-3697-45BC-BB53-225E30477791.jpeg

Edited by GolfingLefty18

49 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Well then I’ll tape them up if need be. They are parallel. Maybe I’m just over thinking it, Im going to go hit them at the range across the street while the family gets Fathers Day stuff together. I’ll come back with some results. 
Just not the 6 iron- the 6 looks like it’s been hit or in someone’s bag. It has a gash in the face, some rubbing on the sole, and the back has some bag chatter on it. All the others looks fresh mint brand new. 

I would connect with their c.s. team and go from there!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

From everything I’ve read, their customer service is top notch. Before you hit them, call them and show them that picture. With tip weights it’s an easy fix to get your required swingweights. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pasatiempo said:

Has anyone hit the 659 MB Forged in LH?  These are stainless steel.

I just did.. My 9&P are MB. 
Sooo, that was an interesting range session. Took a minute to get used to them. Had to change my swing. If everyone would like to

follow along and grab a club: 

I usually have a little forward press while still keeping the face square online, and just turn the hips and shoulders till I feel tension then rotate down through to control the face for a nice straight penetrating flight. Doing this with the new clubs gave me a lot of cut, spinny shots, and I hit a lot more fat then I ever usually do. 
I had to change to sliding my hands back to just slightly ahead of the ball while making it feel like the club was heavy. I slid the club back low and wide, then whipped it through with my hips making sure to still hit down, got a lot more speed through the zone with the light weights. This gave me some more distance, better strikes and a nice little baby draw. Will definitely be a work in progress and if I change the swing weight to D2 might be a whole other swing change again. 
The clubs are definitely forgiving, I hit it all over the face but even slightly fat & thin shots didn’t lose much distance. The solid strikes felt butter soft, took off fast and landed softly. I hit the 5i better than any of them, every shot was solid with it. The mids were 80% well hit with some thin toe misses. The 9&P MB were kinda all over. Fat, thin, solid. Shafts feel good, like I have control through the swing- just either need to get used to the light weights or get them weighted. They definitely don’t go as far as my ‘16 Apex with Project X LZ 125’s , but those have stronger lofts and feel like the shafts kick a bunch. Overall, it’s a work in progress on day 1 but did hit some very nice shots. That 5i CB is fun to hit. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Sooo, that was an interesting range session. Took a minute to get used to them. Had to change my swing. If everyone would like to

I usually have a little forward press while still keeping the face square online, and just turn the hips and shoulders till I feel tension then rotate down through to control the face for a nice straight penetrating flight. Doing this with the new clubs gave me a lot of cut, spinny shots, and I hit a lot more fat then I ever usually do. 
I had to change to sliding my hands back to just slightly ahead of the ball while making it feel like the club was heavy. I slid the club back low and wide, then whipped it through with my hips making sure to still hit down, got a lot more speed through the zone with the light weights. This gave me some more distance, better strikes and a nice little baby draw. Will definitely be a work in progress and if I change the swing weight to D2 might be a whole other swing change again. 
The clubs are definitely forgiving, I hit it all over the face but even slightly fat & thin shots didn’t lose much distance. The solid strikes felt butter soft, took off fast and landed softly. I hit the 5i better than any of them, every shot was solid with it. The mids were 80% well hit with some thin toe misses. The 9&P MB were kinda all over. Fat, thin, solid. Shafts feel good, like I have control through the swing- just either need to get used to the light weights or get them weighted. They definitely don’t go as far as my ‘16 Apex with Project X LZ 125’s , but those have stronger lofts and feel like the shafts kick a bunch. Overall, it’s a work in progress on day 1 but did hit some very nice shots. That 5i CB is fun to hit. 

Interesting that you hit the 5 iron the best and it’s the heaviest swingweight.

19 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

There a reason you decided to go with KBS shafts verse the LZ that your used to? Just curious as they are very different profiles.

28 minutes ago, dvyChan1987 said:

There a reason you decided to go with KBS shafts verse the LZ that your used to? Just curious as they are very different profiles.

I had a fitting and the LZ Xstiff has significant club “droop” with my swing. Bending down 4-7 degrees. The Tour 130x were at 0-2 degrees every shot and I had dispersion of 5 yards in either direction as opposed to 24 right with the LZ, always had to play way out left to swing it in right to left. I was testing with Taylormade P790 heads so the weight of those were obviously heavier than the Sub 70. The draws I were getting today were nice, about 5-8 yard draw. Hopefully having them the correct weight will straighten them

out the way I was hitting at the fitting. 

Just now, GolfingLefty18 said:

5 just felt easier to swing, almost automatic. Maybe it was because of the heavier weight, and the lighter clubs felt more whipped through than controlled. 

I know you’re not a fan of lead tape, but put a couple strips on the short irons and see if that helps. You can always send hem back to get the proper swingweight. You shouldn’t have to adjust your swing to clubs. You adjust clubs to your swing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Here’s the PW toe pattern compared to the 5i center pattern. 

7A6BB7B9-7627-43BB-A985-8DA72AFC76BD.jpeg

666B405A-072D-4A91-8846-C67A46BE4313.jpeg

Add a few strips of tape to the wedge and see if that helps. 

• Like 2

Sub70 will be giving me a discount on the clubs due to the 6i issue. It would take another long wait to get one built and shipped again. 

The swingweight issue I was told to just add lead tape. Does anyone know which tape would be best to use on these? And how much Id need based on the sw pic I posted to get them to d2? I don’t have a club scale. I can definitely feel the difference going from iron to my Cleveland wedges. Thanks! 

Edited by GolfingLefty18

11 minutes ago, GolfingLefty18 said:

Sub70 will be giving me a discount on the clubs due to the 6i issue. It would take another long wait to get one built and shipped again. 

The swingweight issue I was told to just add lead tape. Does anyone know which tape would be best to use on these? And how much Id need based on the sw pic I posted to get them to d2? I don’t have a club scale. I can definitely feel the difference going from iron to my Cleveland wedges. Thanks! 

about 2g of tape is 1 SW point. If you know anyone with a SW go to them. If you have a club builder near you, I'd take the club you hit the best and tell them to SW match your other clubs to that one. That is a little unfortunate they aren't going to make this right for you. at least you got a discount due to the 6i issue.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

24 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

about 2g of tape is 1 SW point. If you know anyone with a SW go to them. If you have a club builder near you, I'd take the club you hit the best and tell them to SW match your other clubs to that one. That is a little unfortunate they aren't going to make this right for you. at least you got a discount due to the 6i issue.

It is a bummer but it’s tough with the taper tip shafts is what I was told. Other than lead tape, how else could you add weight to the head for swing weight?