Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

23 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

Those of you that have been to both Pinehurst (and surrounding area) and Bandon how would you compare the two? 

Bandon has an ocean. Pinehurst doesn't. I have played both and having an ocean would be my #1 consideration.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

4 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

Care to elaborate on other considerations that dont involve an ocean?

They are similar in many ways, both sprawling resorts with multiple courses. One has a lot of history, the other is somewhat new. Plenty of lodging to choose from, plenty of restaurants. Bandon Dunes is a little more concentrated in terms of those things, with fewer distractions from golf. But I keep coming back to that ocean. For me, that is a huge consideration. When I take vacations, golf or otherwise, they are almost always on an ocean. 

• Like 1

As tongue in cheek as the response may be, oceanside golf is the best.  There's nothing I've experienced in golf better than turning a corner to a green or a teebox and having the Pacific freakin Ocean roaring in the background. It doesn't get better than that for my money. If I got 10 trips to schedule between Bandon and Pinehurst, it'd be Bandon 9 Pinehurst 1.

• Like 3

I would the biggest difference is good luck getting a reservation at Bandon for prime season.  I have tried for 3 straight months, calling/online submitting right when the email went out for July, August and September 2025, and could not get a reservation.  Apparently hundreds of people did the same within 1 minute of those dates being released.  For September 2025, the online "queue" showed 1600 people online within a couple minutes of the month being released.

19 minutes ago, dgkatzenbach said:

I would the biggest difference is good luck getting a reservation at Bandon for prime season.  I have tried for 3 straight months, calling/online submitting right when the email went out for July, August and September 2025, and could not get a reservation.  Apparently hundreds of people did the same within 1 minute of those dates being released.  For September 2025, the online "queue" showed 1600 people online within a couple minutes of the month being released.

Thats exactly why I'm asking the question.  I saw online how awful the process was for September 2025 so I'm sorta just expecting to not be able to book October 2025.  Which is sad since I've been "planning" this for two years.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

Thats exactly why I'm asking the question.  I saw online how awful the process was for September 2025 so I'm sorta just expecting to not be able to book October 2025.  Which is sad since I've been "planning" this for two years.

I've been to both. Dont let people disuade you from looking at PH because it doesnt have an ocean ROFL. 

Pinehurst has the vibe, the history, the whole feel of the place, the town - everything, top to bottom is an A+. The last time I played #2 we were teeing off 1 in the mist of the morning with church bells going off in the town...just cant beat it.

On top of that you can choose the "resort stay" and get A+ service and courses or the "non resort" stays and get A+ service and courses. If you include some of the great options in Raleigh, there are more course options than you could reasonably play in three trips.

I loved BD and am already booked for next year. But PH doesnt take a backseat.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 3

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

17 hours ago, duke5021 said:

We’re headed for our first trip in Mid June and didn’t realize at booking that it’s their Summer Solstice time… so it’s packed!

we have a group of 8 and trying to get dinner  reservations onsite are very limited. 

Any suggestions or recommendations for off site options that we can go to? Or that will deliver? 

Thanks 

Plenty of good options in Bandon, just 5 - 10 minutes away.  For nicer places, I'd suggest Alloro Wine Bar or Lord Bennett's.  Lord Bennett's has the advantage of a great ocean view. For casual, Bandon Brewing has good pizza and beer.

10 minutes ago, spud3 said:

Most PH courses have houses.  Really big, nice houses; though they rarely come into play.  Bandon does not.

Bandon has really big, nice seagulls; though they rarely come into play unless you're Randy Johnson.

• Haha 2

I would say that if you can't do Bandon, PH is a viable alternative.  That said, all things being equal, I would do Bandon 5x before I did PH.  I think @spud3 pretty much nails it.  I enjoy the courses at Bandon much more than the courses at PH and if you lined them all up, I would play all 5 BD courses before I got to a PH course. 

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

53 minutes ago, thechief16 said:

I would say that if you can't do Bandon, PH is a viable alternative.  That said, all things being equal, I would do Bandon 5x before I did PH.  I think @spud3 pretty much nails it.  I enjoy the courses at Bandon much more than the courses at PH and if you lined them all up, I would play all 5 BD courses before I got to a PH course. 

Well....alll things may not be equal if I cant get a reservation at Bandon lol.

2 hours ago, spud3 said:

I went to Pinehurst for the first time last fall.  Trip report at the end of this thread:

It's hard to compare the two, golf-wise.  Both have a bunch of amazing courses.  Some key differences:

PH is mostly Bermuda grass, Bandon mostly fescue (with increasing levels of Poa on the greens).

PH is inland, Bandon has an ocean.

PH is mostly carts (exception: #2 is walking only), Bandon is walking only.

PH has humidity and heat.  Bandon has wind and rain.

As for the experience, the two couldn't be more different:

PH has a high-end town integrated. Bandon is 15 minutes from anything resembling civilization.

PH has the usual resort-y things available (spa, shopping, swimming pools, etc.).  Bandon has a massage facility and small sauna/jacuzzi/workout room and shopping is limited to golf-related gear and gifts.

PH just reeks of money.  Old money.  Bandon does not.

Most PH courses have houses.  Really big, nice houses; though they rarely come into play.  Bandon does not.

PH is much more of a white glove, luxury experience.  Bandon is stripped down, but high quality essentials.

PH is geared toward a full resort experience.  Bandon is all about the golf.

Both are truly bucket-list worthy trips.

I found your trip write up previously.  Thanks for your additional thoughts.

If we do PH, we are going to knock off No. 2, No. 4, Pine Needles, Southern Pines, Tobacco Road.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pepetito said:

Well....alll things may not be equal if I cant get a reservation at Bandon lol.

Understood, which is why I said PH was a viable alternative. My "all things being equal" was covering my own backside for having been to PH more often than Bandon (PH is driveable for me). 

Edited by thechief16
  • Like 1

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

5 hours ago, spud3 said:

I went to Pinehurst for the first time last fall.  Trip report at the end of this thread:

It's hard to compare the two, golf-wise.  Both have a bunch of amazing courses.  Some key differences:

PH is mostly Bermuda grass, Bandon mostly fescue (with increasing levels of Poa on the greens).

PH is inland, Bandon has an ocean.

PH is mostly carts (exception: #2 is walking only), Bandon is walking only.

PH has humidity and heat.  Bandon has wind and rain.

As for the experience, the two couldn't be more different:

PH has a high-end town integrated. Bandon is 15 minutes from anything resembling civilization.

PH has the usual resort-y things available (spa, shopping, swimming pools, etc.).  Bandon has a massage facility and small sauna/jacuzzi/workout room and shopping is limited to golf-related gear and gifts.

PH just reeks of money.  Old money.  Bandon does not.

PH is much more of a white glove, luxury experience.  Bandon is stripped down, but high quality essentials.

PH is geared toward a full resort experience.  Bandon is all about the golf.

Both are truly bucket-list worthy trips.

Great comparison!  Just finished up our annual trip to Bandon....2 of the guys were from NC and had similar comments regarding Pinehurst.  If you are looking for just the best golf experience...Bandon.  If all the other stuff is a big part of your enjoyment of the trip.....Pinehurst.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pepetito said:

I found your trip write up previously.  Thanks for your additional thoughts.

If we do PH, we are going to knock off No. 2, No. 4, Pine Needles, Southern Pines, Tobacco Road.  

When I get back to NC, my itinerary will be pretty much exactly the same, possibly subbing #8 or the new #10 for #4.  I absolutely loved #2, and have read nothing but high praise for the three non PH courses mentioned.

I'd also stay somewhere less expensive...

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

On 4/30/2024 at 3:40 PM, duke5021 said:

We’re headed for our first trip in Mid June and didn’t realize at booking that it’s their Summer Solstice time… so it’s packed!

we have a group of 8 and trying to get dinner  reservations onsite are very limited. 

Any suggestions or recommendations for off site options that we can go to? Or that will deliver? 

Thanks 

Broken Anchor and Bandon Brewing. Both really good food. Bandon Brewing is pizza

PH will typically have much better course conditions than BD.  While BD has some great layouts and the ocean (and elements), PH has #2 and a ton of other quality courses.  #2 is by far the best course at either facility and that’s why PH gets my vote.  I could play #2 everyday and not get board.  So many subtle slopes on this Donald Ross classic

48 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

Great stuff guys.  We'll see how the October 2025 reservation window goes.

Thanks.

If you can't stay on property, don't discount booking just tee times and staying off property in either North Bend or Bandon. With 5 golf courses they run out of rooms long before they run out of space on the tee sheet.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

47 minutes ago, jvincent said:

If you can't stay on property, don't discount booking just tee times and staying off property in either North Bend or Bandon. With 5 golf courses they run out of rooms long before they run out of space on the tee sheet.

"Planning" for that is a bit difficult when you cant book tee times until 60 days out.  Its a big risk when you'd have to have your airfare, transportation, and outside lodging booked way prior to that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pepetito said:

"Planning" for that is a bit difficult when you cant book tee times until 60 days out.  Its a big risk when you'd have to have your airfare, transportation, and outside lodging booked way prior to that.

I've seen commentary about Bandon needing more lodging, but I don't think that's the constraining factor either. From the resort's perspective, rooms and tee times are basically fully booked now 60 days out, at least my last 2 years of going in April and checking. I could not move tee times much from 60 days in. There was maybe 0, 1, or 2 open tee times in the morning each day and 1 or 2 in the replay afternoon time zone. If you include mid-day tee times (probably not ideal for resort guests as they'd want morning times with the option to replay), I'd guess there were maybe less than 10 tee times before 2pm available across all courses each day during my trip even 30-60 days out. So they're getting their lodging and associated tee times fully booked and they're getting the rest booked through advanced tee time booking.  I don't see the incentive right now to add lodging. Now, if Shorty's generates enough day-time demand and alleviates the tee time issue, then maybe. 

Dining was more the constraint on my recent trip. Reservations for 4 from 30 days out to week of our trip was challenging at Pacific and Ghost Tree Grill for after 6pm times, so one night we had to go into town. McKee's is walk-in only now and was packed, but service was good/fast. Gallery/Forge is closed and being renovated for an Italian restaurant, so once that opens I think it will be a huge benefit, so I do think the Ghost Tree Grill was a good investment for the resort (at least another restaurant, but imo the steaks are mediocre there). 

Bandon is basically sold out 18-20 months ahead of time - there's no real reason for them to expand lodging, why would they, there's nowhere to put them.

I hate to say it but from a business perspective IMO the next move for them is to drastically increase their rates. Its the only thing that is going to slow down hundreds/thousands of people waiting on hold for reservations when they open up over a year and a half ahead of time. Otherwise its going to keep filling up farther and farther out.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Bandon is basically sold out 18-20 months ahead of time - there's no real reason for them to expand lodging, why would they, there's nowhere to put them.

I hate to say it but from a business perspective IMO the next move for them is to drastically increase their rates. Its the only thing that is going to slow down hundreds/thousands of people waiting on hold for reservations when they open up over a year and a half ahead of time. Otherwise its going to keep filling up farther and farther out.

Or do what they are doing which is build Other locations like Rodeo Dunes as options. 

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I mean they could add more golfers in the same amount of time it would just cut down on people having 36 hole+ days which is very anti bandon. 

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

4 hours ago, Pepetito said:

You can book up to a year in advance, April through October. The caveat is that you pay a premium over the on property rate and you can only book tee times after 10AM. However, the off course accommodations are so much cheaper that it ends up being cheaper overall.

Once you get within the 3-week window you can juggle tee times and add replay rounds if you are looking to play 36/day.

I was just there in April and we booked our rounds in October and did the shuffle/replay booking 3-weeks before.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

16 hours ago, knock it close said:

I mean they could add more golfers in the same amount of time it would just cut down on people having 36 hole+ days which is very anti bandon. 

I would argue they couldnt/wouldnt do this because they dont have the lodging to support it. 

I admit I was jealous watching people at the 25th Anniversary celebration this week. Shortys looks so fun, putter tees on every hole - 100% will be trying that out.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

18 hours ago, knock it close said:

They would have to limit groups to 1 tee time per day when they do the advance booking, or stop discounting the replay rounds. 

Again, all very "anti-Bandon" 

Bottom line they don't really "need" to do much right now - they are in such high demand they just have to not ruin a good thing. As someone else said the next logical step is to start scaling up the prices.