2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

I do the 36 grind for 4-5 days mostly because coming from the East Coast, I am going to make it worth the trip and max out on the golf. And I'm not young anymore. But I did 36x4 in 2020 and will do 5 days next year - although two of those rounds will be Shortys/Preserve. But if I want to do the 18/drinking kind of days, I'll do those on my Pinehurst trips. Just - me personally in my situation - I couldnt justify the time it takes to get out there to only play 18 a day.

The one thing about trips like that is I'll never hit one shot at the practice area or range.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 3

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Heading there for my 2nd solo trip in early May.  I'll be doing 10 rounds in 5 days and 1 morning round on my travel day.  I did that for the first trip and survived.  Looking forward to trying out Shorty's.  Looks like it will be in the middle of aeration for a few of the courses especially Old Mac.  Hoping for good weather.  I lucked out last time, only needed rain gear for about 5 holes!

19 hours ago, graveydellic said:

I am tired just looking at this.  I respect the 36 hole daily grind, but even at my ripe old age of 33, it's not for me.  Even on my December trips where I generally only play 2 days, I do 36-27 and am always torn when I leave on if I was pleased I played all the golf I could, or if I should just have posted up one afternoon at the Trails clubhouse and drank Guinness until the sun went down.  The golf is so good there that it's hard to find time to get any relaxation and rest in, at least in the months with shorter days.  

I'm pushing 40 and do five days of 36 on my offseason trips and shoot for four days of 54 on my shoulder season trips (only did 54-36-54-45 last time, I quit the shorter days because of wind). An acquaintance of mine in his late 20s is going soon for the first time and is only doing 36-18-36-18, which is blasphemous in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

13 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I do the 36 grind for 4-5 days mostly because coming from the East Coast, I am going to make it worth the trip and max out on the golf. And I'm not young anymore. But I did 36x4 in 2020 and will do 5 days next year - although two of those rounds will be Shortys/Preserve. But if I want to do the 18/drinking kind of days, I'll do those on my Pinehurst trips. Just - me personally in my situation - I couldnt justify the time it takes to get out there to only play 18 a day.

The one thing about trips like that is I'll never hit one shot at the practice area or range.

Same. Although we usually hit the range for a few warmup balls.

Aleve and Tylenol can only take you so  far when it comes to getting loose.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

30 minutes ago, JNewsted said:

Ok, I have an extra day for my April trip.  Looking to add either Bandon Crossings or Bar Run (or other) on my way back to Eugene.  It's my 4th visit, so I want to try new stuff.  What's the call on this?  It all looks like a good option!!

Played Bandon Crossings once, no input on Bar Run. If Bandon Dunes didn't exist I'd be very satisfied playing Crossings. It's a fine course that is routed a bit more traditionally than any of the Bandon courses. That said, anything on Bandon property outdoes Crossings by a ton, including the price tag. Your call if you'd like a change of pace, or a cart round.

Also, it's 20 minutes down the road from Bandon, the opposite direction from Eugene. Not a big deal but it sounds like you're doing this on the way out, so you'd be backtracking a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JNewsted said:

Ok, I have an extra day for my April trip.  Looking to add either Bandon Crossings or Bar Run (or other) on my way back to Eugene.  It's my 4th visit, so I want to try new stuff.  What's the call on this?  It all looks like a good option!!

Bar Run is a a bit out of the way when heading back to Eugene, but the extra 30-40 minutes to drive a bit southeast is a pretty drive through Coquille/Myrtle Point and beyond. I played it just after it first opened and it's a pretty cool course. If you've never played either I'd stick within the area and do Bandon Crossings it's a pretty cool Oregon coast woodlands course that is quite a bit different than Bandon.

It's a really accurate representation on the kind of courses we grow up on around here

An alternative option is to play Coos Golf Club directly on the way back, that was my home course growing up although it's a bit odd in places, just nostalgic to me :) 

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

47 minutes ago, rooski said:

Bar Run is a a bit out of the way when heading back to Eugene, but the extra 30-40 minutes to drive a bit southeast is a pretty drive through Coquille/Myrtle Point and beyond. I played it just after it first opened and it's a pretty cool course. If you've never played either I'd stick within the area and do Bandon Crossings it's a pretty cool Oregon coast woodlands course that is quite a bit different than Bandon.

An alternative option is to play Coos Golf Club directly on the way back, that was my home course growing up although it's a bit odd in places, just nostalgic to me 🙂

It's a really accurate representation on the kind of courses we grow up on around here

Ok, this is good.  Local knowledge helps.  My next trip is with a bunch of noobs, so will want to center them on resort only, but I like having all these options for me to wander around a bit.  Thanks!

Rumour is Keiser is about to buy or just bought Bandon Crossing, so maybe worth playing it so you can see the "before" as it will undergo a major redo at some point if it is to be part of the Bandon Dunes properties. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

Brief notes from today. Bandon greens suffered a lot during a very wet winter. The pro shop said they did an “emergency punch” of 6 greens. Those that got it were pretty bad, lotta dead mud spots.   

Sheep Ranch greens are noticeably improved from last March. Some are looking pretty good, some still in the midst of the poa transition, but none as bad as the worst last year.

Saw 10/11 on Pac getting punched today, not sure if it’s the same issue as Bandon. Got an afternoon round there tomorrow.

Ghost Tree grill is good, very good steaks. Our group had two prime ribs, a NY strip, a Ribeye, and a Filet. All good.

More equipment related than Bandon, but my Motocaddy 7 just went 36 holes today, with battery life left over. Good product.

• Like 2

First timer currently here. Played Sheep this morning and Bandon this afternoon. Echo what @Edaw68 said about the greens. My putting suffered on Bandon going between punched and normal greens and mostly just lacking focus. Had a blast however.

Pork chop at Pac Grill is pretty 🔥

IMG_6478.jpeg.ddcb493044764997e94582ca969ac21a.jpegIMG_6479.jpeg.2105585807014f814a75bb5f6f2f26ea.jpegIMG_6480.jpeg.7e350e338b311123327fbdf0faeb1f44.jpeg

• Like 4

My WITB

Cobra Darkspeed LS 10.5º -1º | Tour AD VF 6x

TBD | LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º | Tour AD IZ 95x

Srixon ZX Utility 4i | MMT 105tx

Titleist T150 | Modus 115x

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 50º & 54º | DG TI S400

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58º |  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 | KBS CT Tour

Ball: TP5x or Prov1

First trip to Bandon coming up this year in August.  Playing 5 days/9 rounds including both shorts.  Our plan is to get caddies and I don't want them to have to change out bags.  Can someone tell me what bags the caddies prefer to carry?  Was looking at a SM 2.5 or something along that line, but not sure if they prefer single-strap or double-strap bags.  Thanks!

Also, how soon do you guys reserve caddies and make dinner reservations?

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

36 minutes ago, Maroon_19 said:

First trip to Bandon coming up this year in August.  Playing 5 days/9 rounds including both shorts.  Our plan is to get caddies and I don't want them to have to change out bags.  Can someone tell me what bags the caddies prefer to carry?  Was looking at a SM 2.5 or something along that line, but not sure if they prefer single-strap or double-strap bags.  Thanks!

As for the bags: we went in October with a group of 40. The caddies changed out about half of our bags... if it is too heavy, they will just switch it out, its actually not a big deal. The guy I roomed with had a smallish Titleist carry bag, and it got switched out. They double bag, so they would probably prefer single straps, but if you have light weight double strap bags, those work too. I have a Ping Hoofer Lite, and my caddie was pumped. One thing I would suggest is take off towels, bag tags, brushes, etc. The caddies will have a towel already in their pouch, so my caddie asked me to take off my towel and anything else that dangles from the bag. A few of our group had Sunday bags (Ping Moonlites) and the caddies liked those too. But any of the "bigger" carry bags got switched out (I know some of our group had Titleist, Vessel, GFore bags or something similar, those all got switched out). I think just keep it very simple and very light if you don't want them to get switched out. That was our experience anyway.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

44 minutes ago, Maroon_19 said:

I'm fairly sure that the bags they swap into are SM 3.5 or maybe the H2NO lite double straps so that should be fine

• Like 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

1 hour ago, knock it close said:

I'm fairly sure that the bags they swap into are SM 3.5 or maybe the H2NO lite double straps so that should be fine

I had a double strap SM 4.5 and it worked fine - but I also took everything out of there. I think in the bag I only had rain jacket/pants and a few balls. Everything else came out or I carried it on me. I saw them empty a couple of bags that were absolutely packed with stuff.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

13 minutes ago, dgkatzenbach said:

Has anyone received the email for reservations for September 2025?  I am supposedly on the list, but seems like the email should have gone out weeks ago, like the previous months.  Website still shows only taking reservations thru August 2025, but I am wondering if maybe it is just not updated.  

Nope.  I"m on the list as well.

• Like 1

Fortunately just picked up a cancellation for 3 nights end of April with solid tee times allowing 36 for 3 days. Will be the 6th time. Every trip has been 3 nights so far, which I find to be ideal if you plan to go again and again. The first four trips, I flew in/out of OTH and did the last guaranteed to finish late afternoon arrival round, then 36, 36, then early morning departure round. The last time I was there, I stayed off property an extra night the night before and did 36, 36, 36, and didn't play a departure morning round. I liked that a lot more, so doing that again. I found the benefits of doing that are: 1) Can fly into EUG and save considerable money vs. flying in/out of OTH (plus don't risk flight cancellation/delays which would be awful for a shorter trip), 2) the extra hotel first night off property doesn't cost you anything if split with buddy, because you get 3 replay rounds/rate out of 6 versus only 2. 3) I've always found the early AM departure round to be rushed/not as enjoyable to have to pack up and get to OTH in time.

Question - has anyone eaten at the Forge steakhouse previously and then Ghost Tree Grill? It looks to be essentially the same. I thought the Forge steaks were disappointing for a high end steakhouse when I at there last year (the steaks at Pacific Grill and McKee's were better) so don't want to book GTG if the steaks are the same.

1 minute ago, kkelway said:

Fortunately just picked up a cancellation for 3 nights end of April with solid tee times allowing 36 for 3 days. Will be the 6th time. Every trip has been 3 nights so far, which I find to be ideal if you plan to go again and again. The first four trips, I flew in/out of OTH and did the last guaranteed to finish late afternoon arrival round, then 36, 36, then early morning departure round. The last time I was there, I stayed off property an extra night the night before and did 36, 36, 36, and didn't play a departure morning round. I liked that a lot more, so doing that again. I found the benefits of doing that are: 1) Can fly into EUG and save considerable money vs. flying in/out of OTH (plus don't risk flight cancellation/delays which would be awful for a shorter trip), 2) the extra hotel first night off property doesn't cost you anything if split with buddy, because you get 3 replay rounds/rate out of 6 versus only 2. 3) I've always found the early AM departure round to be rushed/not as enjoyable to have to pack up and get to OTH in time.

Question - has anyone eaten at the Forge steakhouse previously and then Ghost Tree Grill? It looks to be essentially the same. I thought the Forge steaks were disappointing for a high end steakhouse when I at there last year (the steaks at Pacific Grill and McKee's were better) so don't want to book GTG if the steaks are the same.

Different steaks and menu. I would suggest checking out Ghost Tree Grill.

• Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

@kkelway I’m not big on morning departure rounds either. I went to The Forge for the first and only time in early 2022 and was really disappointed. I went to the Ghost Tree Grill for the first time a few months ago. The steak quality was way better than The Forge but noticeably below your big-city, upscale steakhouse. I’ll go to the GTG again when I’m with friends who haven’t been but wouldn’t make it a routine when I’m by myself (as I was a few months ago).

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

2 hours ago, kkelway said:

The setting is great at Ghost Tree Grill, but the steaks are just as disappointing as they were at The Forge.

GTG is much improved in terms of quality and menu vs forge imo. Its not my fav steakhouse that ive had the privilege of dining at but better than every experience ive had at Ruth Chris - and steaks were superior at GTG. I would personally place GTG as a mid level steakhouse. Not like a peter luger or el gaucho type of place but one level down - if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Look up the GTG menu online, and then call up an archive on Yelp of the old Forge menu.  All the steaks are exactly the same, at almost exactly the same prices.  I've given up on trying to get a decent steak at Bandon.....they use Choice grade beef at best, and don't properly season their steaks to bring out the flavor.  I'm sure if you were happy with the steaks at The Forge, you'll be pleased with GTG, but if you were disappointed with the steaks at The Forge then prepare to feel the same at GTG.

37 minutes ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

Look up the GTG menu online, and then call up an archive on Yelp of the old Forge menu.  All the steaks are exactly the same, at almost exactly the same prices.  I've given up on trying to get a decent steak at Bandon.....they use Choice grade beef at best, and don't properly season their steaks to bring out the flavor.  I'm sure if you were happy with the steaks at The Forge, you'll be pleased with GTG, but if you were disappointed with the steaks at The Forge then prepare to feel the same at GTG.

we’ll have to agree to disagree. They didnt have a number of items at forge they now have at GTG. Sure steaks are the same. But what steakhouse doesnt have a filet, a ny strip, a tomahawk, a ribeye….

i was not happy but fine 2x at forge with steaks. I was happy with my steak at GTG

IMG_1031.jpeg.9534f7b1a92da3e482af378534d0cc10.jpegIMG_1030.jpeg.ea03dafe7364ce93f8e8469983e195d1.jpeg