2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

On 2/18/2024 at 5:37 AM, oregongolf said:

Can anyone report current course conditions? A buddy said they paused play for loopers because condition is bad due to weather and volume of play. 

Played this previous weekend, as stated above greens were very wet. Balls were plugging on every green. Bandon Dunes greens had standing water on several greens. Pacific and Trails had the best conditions. Pacific's starter told us that they've received 28" of rain over the last 2.5 weeks, a new record...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

We have the first round of our trip on 4/14 at 9AM, followed by Preserve at 5:45PM. This happens to be Masters Sunday, so the plan is to watch the back nine of the Masters between rounds. This is our first time at Bandon. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we should try and watch?

2 minutes ago, HokieGolf12 said:

We have the first round of our trip on 4/14 at 9AM, followed by Preserve at 5:45PM. This happens to be Masters Sunday, so the plan is to watch the back nine of the Masters between rounds. This is our first time at Bandon. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we should try and watch?

McKees is good, basically a sports bar with lots of TVs. If you have a round at the preserve, Trails End has a tv above the counter. 

The tufted puffin used to be a good spot but I don’t know what the plan is with the renovations.

The lounge in the Inn might be open at that time too, also close to the Preserve.

1 hour ago, HokieGolf12 said:

Our group of 8 will also be there during the Masters. We play SR at 9:30a on 4/14 then Preserve @ 4:00p so we, too, will be looking to watch over lunch.

Edited by Bsarosi

5 hours ago, Edaw68 said:

McKees is good, basically a sports bar with lots of TVs. If you have a round at the preserve, Trails End has a tv above the counter. 

The tufted puffin used to be a good spot but I don’t know what the plan is with the renovations.

The lounge in the Inn might be open at that time too, also close to the Preserve.

Awesome, thanks! We are staying at the Inn, so maybe we'll shoot for the lounge there if McKees is packed.

4 hours ago, Bsarosi said:

Our group of 8 will also be there during the Masters. We play SR at 9:30a on 4/14 then Preserve @ 4:00p so we, too, will be looking to watch over lunch.

Nice. Maybe we'll see you there!

14 hours ago, VNutz said:

The last 6 weeks or so I've seen more standing water and "rivers" on greens on the webcams than I can remember. Crazy

Every course has been un-puttable the last few days. Heavy water and puddles on most greens on every course. Never seen Bandon flooded like this. 

Everyone is making the best of it, but right now if you are visiting assume you aren't going to be playing the greens in any normal way. You have to read the slope, bumps, footprints, cart tracks, mud, puddles and wind. 

I also can't say I have ever been able to fire at pins at Bandon like I have this trip. The balls land and plug, even spin back - very un-Bandon-like. 😏

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@jvincent

@2bGood

@VNutz

@doc52

@spud3

Thanks for the feedback on the Preserve 8 ball. As we are doing a Ryder Cup event we’ll split into our individual teams for a little pre-tournament strategery. 

Another question for y’all.

One of the formats we are running is a quota game. To spice things up a bit, we're doing a stretch of 3 holes per course worth double points. Tried to mix in a par 3, 4, and 5 in honor of Amen Corner. See the lucky winners below. Thoughts? Concerns? Likes? Dislikes?

BD: 16-18

PD: 5-7

BT: 11-13

OM: 6-8

SR: 10-12

5 hours ago, Caddy Woods said:

One of the formats we are running is a quota game. To spice things up a bit, we're doing a stretch of 3 holes per course worth double points. Tried to mix in a par 3, 4, and 5 in honor of Amen Corner. See the lucky winners below. Thoughts? Concerns? Likes? Dislikes?

BD: 16-18

PD: 5-7

BT: 11-13

OM: 6-8

SR: 10-12

BD isn't a 3-4-5 mix, but a good selection of holes.

PD I'd go 11-12-13.

BT I'd go with 3,4,5

OM. Good choices

SR: If you want to get a par 3 in the mix, I'd go 6-7-8. Otherwise 10-11-12 is a good choice.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Our group will be heading to Bandon for the first time 4/12-4/16. Handicaps range from 8-20 so no sticks but most know what they're doing. We're scheduled to play all 5 courses and Preserve as follows:

4/12 - BD

4/13 - BT & PD

4/14 - SR & Preserve

4/15 - OM & OM*

*Trying to switch the 2nd round at OM to another course. Any recommendations based on our schedule? I lean towards BD (start and end with the original course) but open to suggestions.

A few other questions/considerations that I'm looking for feedback on:

1) Most of us are taking caddies but we do have 1-2 who plan to carry for some of the rounds. Besides 4/13 when we play BT, any of the days look to be more daunting than others from a walking perspective?

2) When we have a single-bag caddie bc one of the guys is carrying their bag, should the player with a single-bag tip caddie more? I've also advised the guy carrying that he should tip the caddie something if he asks for a read/line here or there since that's bound to happen with him. But are there any other suggestions/considerations when only 3/4 players are using a caddie requiring a single-bag caddie?

3) With the Puffin Lounge under renovation, is there a central location for breakfast rather than eat at a course clubhouse? I'd prefer to eat breakfast, head to the range to warmup, then tee off for morning rounds but not sure that's feasible with Puffin Lounge under reno. Might just have to eat at a clubhouse, then head to the range, then to the course.

4) We're playing a combination of handicapped 2-Man BB and Stableford competitions. Want everyone to be able to play their own ball but are some courses better for 2-Man BB vs Stableford? We'll do Skins for the Preserve.

5) We'll have vehicles - consensus seems to be to use it as a locker and drive from course to course; is that correct or should we rely on shuttles with it being our first time?

6) What is the policy for bringing our own booze? We're driving from Eugene in the morning on 4/12 and thought we'd stop to pick up beer on the way. I assume it's ok but maybe there are restrictions I'm not aware of. If it's ok, any good places to stop between EUG and Bandon? And do the rooms (Lily Pond) have mini fridges to store them?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and counting the days down...can't come soon enough!

13 hours ago, spud3 said:

It's a good bet that every single tv on property will be showing the Masters....

...and that every single golfer not on a course will be wanting to watch it in one of the venues there. 

Might want to just watch it in your room with room service.

Thats the best time to be watching. Watching a big tournament with a bunch of people who care about golf and can talk to someone about it is the best. Watching in the room not much different than watching at home

1 hour ago, Bsarosi said:

Thanks in advance for your feedback and counting the days down...can't come soon enough!

For your final day you're kind of at the mercy of the tee sheet. I'd suggest playing the one you had the most fun at or one you have a score to settle with.

Trails is the hardest walk of the five, followed by Old Mac. If you have caddies for all the rounds you will be fine. I assume the guy who is carrying regular carries, so he should be OK. I'm 58 and I carry 36/day when I'm there without any issues. Just make sure you follow the fresh socks and Advil/Tylenol protocol.

It is customary for the guy carrying to slide the caddie a tip if he helps out.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

2 hours ago, Bsarosi said:

Our group will be heading to Bandon for the first time 4/12-4/16. Handicaps range from 8-20 so no sticks but most know what they're doing. We're scheduled to play all 5 courses and Preserve as follows:

4/12 - BD

4/13 - BT & PD

4/14 - SR & Preserve

4/15 - OM & OM*

*Trying to switch the 2nd round at OM to another course. Any recommendations based on our schedule? I lean towards BD (start and end with the original course) but open to suggestions.

1) Most of us are taking caddies but we do have 1-2 who plan to carry for some of the rounds. Besides 4/13 when we play BT, any of the days look to be more daunting than others from a walking perspective?

2) When we have a single-bag caddie bc one of the guys is carrying their bag, should the player with a single-bag tip caddie more? I've also advised the guy carrying that he should tip the caddie something if he asks for a read/line here or there since that's bound to happen with him. But are there any other suggestions/considerations when only 3/4 players are using a caddie requiring a single-bag caddie?

3) With the Puffin Lounge under renovation, is there a central location for breakfast rather than eat at a course clubhouse? I'd prefer to eat breakfast, head to the range to warmup, then tee off for morning rounds but not sure that's feasible with Puffin Lounge under reno. Might just have to eat at a clubhouse, then head to the range, then to the course.

4) We're playing a combination of handicapped 2-Man BB and Stableford competitions. Want everyone to be able to play their own ball but are some courses better for 2-Man BB vs Stableford? We'll do Skins for the Preserve.

5) We'll have vehicles - consensus seems to be to use it as a locker and drive from course to course; is that correct or should we rely on shuttles with it being our first time?

6) What is the policy for bringing our own booze? We're driving from Eugene in the morning on 4/12 and thought we'd stop to pick up beer on the way. I assume it's ok but maybe there are restrictions I'm not aware of. If it's ok, any good places to stop between EUG and Bandon? And do the rooms (Lily Pond) have mini fridges to store them?

1. BT and PD isnt too bad. But id rank it third hardest walk after BTx2 BT/OM (especialy if OM is afternoon and/or windy)

2. Gratuity is always touchy. When i have a caddy and others dont, they tip anywhere from $10-$50 depending on how much help they received. I would venture to guess if its the same caddy and the carrying person doesnt tip or barely tips, they caddy will catch on and there will be little to no help on subsequent rounds. 

3. breakfast buffet is at mckees. Pac Grill has a nice breakfast if a buffet is not your favorite. 

4. Our group of 8 also does a ryder cup style tournament with similar hdcp to your group. I dont think theres really is any course better suited for bb vs stableford. 

5. I love the shuttles. But a mobile locker room isnt a bad idea. You get to pack more (like stuff in pt. 6)

6. Illegal in Oregon to bring your own onto the course. That isnt to say people dont sneak it. Your caddy probably wont carry it either. As far as your room. No problem afaik and yes Lily pond has mini fridges. 

4 minutes ago, jpdx said:

6. Illegal in Oregon to bring your own onto the course. That isnt to say people dont sneak it. Your caddy probably wont carry it either. As far as your room. No problem afaik and yes Lily pond has mini fridges. 

Yeah don't make your caddie carry beers on the course. If you have a small flask you can probably keep that in your pocket.

We bought beers in town for our room but honestly when we stayed the Library Lounge was closed. When we go next year and its open, I don't know if we would even do that.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

4 hours ago, Bsarosi said:

4/12 - BD

4/13 - BT & PD

4/14 - SR & Preserve

4/15 - OM & OM*

Unless you really enjoy OM, definitely try for another course on your last day.  I like ending with BD, personally.

1) As noted above, BT/OM is the toughest walk (mostly because of BT).  BT/PD is not too bad, especially since you've got an easy day following, but that will be the hardest walking day.

2) If you've got two caddies for three players, those caddies will likely be switching off bags so that one of them will have two bags heading toward tee shots that are near each other, and the third heading out for an outlier.  The single caddie will always be with his player's ball, but he may be carrying another bag if the tee shots are spread out such that there's another ball nearby.  No special tipping considerations for the guys with the caddies, other than agreeing on a consistent tip amount from all three.  Make sure the carrying player(s) know the protocol: they don't ask for help from the caddies.  If the caddies want to toss them some info about a line or rake a bunker (likely), then they should be tipped accordingly.  You might have the three guys with the caddies let them know it's ok to do that, but make sure the non-caddie players know that the caddie's job is to take care of their guy.  Anything else is up to them.  Don't be the guy that asks another's caddie for services.

3) As noted, the breakfast buffet is upstairs at McKee's until the Puffin/Lodge restaurant upgrade is done.  Pacific has a full breakfast menu available, as does BT.  Most of those places have a good grab-n-go selection, too.

4) All the courses are great for any format you like.

5) Definitely take advantage of the mobile locker room option, especially if the weather is heavy.  The resort is masterfully laid out and very easy to get around.  One main road gets you to anywhere you need to go, and the farthest stretch is from the Lodge to SR (about an 8 minute drive).  Remember that there is a small range at SR, so if your tee time is after 7AM (when the clubhouse snack bar opens), you can eat there and warm up right after.  Side note: the ham and cheese breakfast sandwich at SR is massive - easily shared between two guys, and the hot pastrami on their deck is the perfect lunch after the round before you head to the Preserve.

6) All rooms on site have a mini fridge.  And don't ask the caddie to carry anything other than a small flask (and then be sure to share when you pop it open).

Looks like a great schedule for a first trip!

Edited by spud3

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

3 hours ago, jvincent said:

For your final day you're kind of at the mercy of the tee sheet. I'd suggest playing the one you had the most fun at or one you have a score to settle with.

Trails is the hardest walk of the five, followed by Old Mac. If you have caddies for all the rounds you will be fine. I assume the guy who is carrying regular carries, so he should be OK. I'm 58 and I carry 36/day when I'm there without any issues. Just make sure you follow the fresh socks and Advil/Tylenol protocol.

It is customary for the guy carrying to slide the caddie a tip if he helps out.

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

Yeah don't make your caddie carry beers on the course. If you have a small flask you can probably keep that in your pocket.

We bought beers in town for our room but honestly when we stayed the Library Lounge was closed. When we go next year and its open, I don't know if we would even do that.

1 hour ago, spud3 said:

Unless you really enjoy OM, definitely try for another course on your last day.  I like ending with BD, personally.

1) As noted above, BT/OM is the toughest walk (mostly because of BT).  BT/PD is not too bad, especially since you've got an easy day following, but that will be the hardest walking day.

2) If you've got two caddies for three players, those caddies will likely be switching off bags so that one of them will have two bags heading toward tee shots that are near each other, and the third heading out for an outlier.  The single caddie will always be with his player's ball, but he may be carrying another bag if the tee shots are spread out such that there's another ball nearby.  No special tipping considerations for the guys with the caddies, other than agreeing on a consistent tip amount from all three.  Make sure the carrying player(s) know the protocol: they don't ask for help from the caddies.  If the caddies want to toss them some info about a line or rake a bunker (likely), then they should be tipped accordingly.  You might have the three guys with the caddies let them know it's ok to do that, but make sure the non-caddie players know that the caddie's job is to take care of their guy.  Anything else is up to them.  Don't be the guy that asks another's caddie for services.

3) As noted, the breakfast buffet is upstairs at McKee's until the Puffin/Lodge restaurant upgrade is done.  Pacific has a full breakfast menu available, as does BT.  Most of those places have a good grab-n-go selection, too.

4) All the courses are great for any format you like.

5) Definitely take advantage of the mobile locker room option, especially if the weather is heavy.  The resort is masterfully laid out and very easy to get around.  One main road gets you to anywhere you need to go, and the farthest stretch is from the Lodge to SR (about an 8 minute drive).  Remember that there is a small range at SR, so if your tee time is after 7AM (when the clubhouse snack bar opens), you can eat there and warm up right after.  Side note: the ham and cheese breakfast sandwich at SR is massive - easily shared between two guys, and the hot pastrami on their deck is the perfect lunch after the round before you head to the Preserve.

6) All rooms on site have a mini fridge.  And don't ask the caddie to carry anything other than a small flask (and then be sure to share when you pop it open).

Looks like a great schedule for a first trip!

Great info, thank you! Yea, we're at the mercy of the tee sheet for the afternoon round on 4/15. Right now OM is all that's available but they said that could change as we get to the 1-month out deadline.

Didn't realize McKees offers the buffet breakfast so that will likely be our best option for breakfast each day unless we grab a bite at SR before our round since they have a separate driving range. 

Good to know beer is allowed, just not on the course. And don't have any intention of putting some in my bag - caddies have enough to deal with already and I always think about the golden rule - treat them as I'd want them to treat me if the roles were reversed.

Appreciate the caddie insights for when we have 1 guy carrying. Looks like he's gonna carry for 2 of the rounds (BD and SR), which appear to be easier walks. And I did mention to him that he shouldn't ask for any help and if he does, he should throw the caddies some cash at the end of the round. Just don't want to piss folks off and I'll prob chat with the caddies before the round so that everyone's on the same page.

Anyone know off the top of their head where at the resort cans of the sheep ranch lager are available? I was thinking of bringing a bunch back as gifts from an upcoming trip, but the only place I see it on the menus is a draft at the bunker bar. Kinda hard to pack a whole keg in the cargo area of the suv with clubs and gear and whatnot.  I remember liking the lager but can’t remember if I had it in cans, or if that was the pale ale. (Do I have a problem?!)

23 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

The LL has really gone downhill - I hope they do something to reinvigorate.  Last trip the person at the bar did not know how to make an old fashion, they were out of so many things.  We had one bad drink and left.

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

The LL has really gone downhill - I hope they do something to reinvigorate.  Last trip the person at the bar did not know how to make an old fashion, they were out of so many things.  We had one bad drink and left.

Stayed at the Inn last weekend. Didn't see a bartender in the Lounge every time I passed by.

• Sad 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

Just got confirmation that we are canceling our trip for this April. The agent said they prefer if I can find a replacement to take over the trip. I'm checking in multiple places at the moment, but is anyone here interested? It was for a foursome with the lodging being 2 golf doubles in the INN, so twosomes sharing a room with 2 queen beds. No lodging the night before when we were planning to stay in Bandon proper.

BT and Preserve get punched on 4/16, so this itinerary avoids that. BD will have been punched on 4/2.

Golf:

4/14

• BT 9:00 AM
  • Preserve 5:45 PM

4/15

• OM 7:50 AM
  • BD 2:40 PM

4/16

• PD 8:40 AM
  • BD 3:10 PM (not guaranteed to finish)

4/17

• SR 9:20 AM

Lodging:

4/14-17

• 1 Golf Double - INN
  • 1 Golf Double - INN

Dining:

4/14

• Pacific Grill 8:30 PM

4/15

• Ghost Tree Grill 8:00 PM 

4/16

• Ghost Tree Grill 8:30 PM

On 2/21/2024 at 11:36 AM, jpdx said:

Never knew that, interesting. One of the running jokes with my group was caddie who helped himself to my buddy's bottle of nice bourbon.

18 hours ago, HokieGolf12 said:

Just got confirmation that we are canceling our trip for this April. The agent said they prefer if I can find a replacement to take over the trip. I'm checking in multiple places at the moment, but is anyone here interested?

The reservations agent at Bandon said they would prefer that you fill your open spot instead of just cancelling it?! Its not an apartment lease. Why would they say that versus just cancelling and they call the next person on the wait list? 

1 hour ago, VNutz said:

Never knew that, interesting. One of the running jokes with my group was caddie who helped himself to my buddy's bottle of nice bourbon.

Look up OLCC (Oregon Liquor Control Commission). An establishment can lose their liquor license if you bring your own and something happens. Liability blah blah blah. I guess technically its not a law but there can be consequences to the establishment if caught. 

that being said, a buddy had a caddie who also helped himself to some whisky and had no problem carrying the bag with a bottle and another wouldn’t carry two beers he bought at a turnstand. 🤷🏽‍♂️

21 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

The reservations agent at Bandon said they would prefer that you fill your open spot instead of just cancelling it?! Its not an apartment lease. Why would they say that versus just cancelling and they call the next person on the wait list? 

Yea that was what she said, which I thought was pretty weird. I wasn't going to work hard to do it. Only asked friends and then posted here.

8 minutes ago, HokieGolf12 said:

Yea that was what she said, which I thought was pretty weird. I wasn't going to work hard to do it. Only asked friends and then posted here.

Wouldn't you be kind of pissed if say you were on the wait list for the Golf Suite and rather than call you because you were next in line they put some golf board rando in there...

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

We are going in Aug/Sept from DFW and we have some people in our group that want to fly into Portland and drive over Eugene as the flight options and times are better.  It is really 4:30 from Portland to Bandon?  I am fighting to fly into Eugene but am currently losing that battle.  Only 1 nonstop flight into Eugene vs 4 into Portland is their reasoning. 

1 hour ago, graveydellic said:

People that have emailed reservations about small amendments or additions to their reservation (i.e. changing a tee time), what has the lead time been?  Think I emailed on Tuesday and surprised I have not heard back.  In the past they have been quicker.  

I've always just called whenever I have needed to change or add something to my reservation. They have never not answered and gotten it taken care of in 10 minutes on the phone