Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

14 hours ago, Golferclubs23 said:

So going mid July as a foursome any recommendations? First time there. 
Get into Bandon Monday morning and play shortys 1 and then preserve at 4.
PAC dunes 7:10
Trails 2:50

Sheep 7:40
Old Mac 2:20

Bandon dunes 8:20
PAC dunes are 2:20

leave following day 

im going to try to swap Bandon dunes for old Mac. Will follow up with cancellations, but nothing available to change now. I want to play Bandon in afternoon and old Mac when it is possibly less windy. 

if anyone has best places to eat meal based on this itinerary. We are staying on site. Do I need to make reservations? Thank you!

We went this past July and we had a blast. We stayed at Chrome Lake and ate breakfast everyday in the Lodge at the Tufted Puffin and the prices are very fair. They have a buffet which looked good and a lot of people went that route but we just ordered off the menu and it was very good. We ate once at McKee's at the bar for dinner and it was good but the other days we went into town to eat dinner at a couple places (we had a rental car) and were not disappointed. The lunch I had at The Preserve/Trails was excellent so I'd recommend that and the quick bite I had at SR and at the driving range were both good.

The weather was perfect with sunny skies everyday and we wore shorts a lot but the wind was incessant, like a 20-30 mph wind that blew nonstop so BD and PD played tough. They are both incredible courses. To be honest, the afternoon round we had at the Preserve was not very enjoyable because of the wind. It's a cool layout but make sure you bring enough shag balls to donate to the gorse (In hindsight, we should of cancelled The Preserve). We got a break from the wind on SR and OM since some of the holes are protected but you still get a taste and I thought both were great. Trails is inland a bit and played a lot easier. The guys I went with ranked Trails #1 but I went with OM #1. Punchbowl is nice and a great place to have a couple evening beers and some laughs.

It's a great time, you'll definitely enjoy it but work on your wind cheater BEFORE you get there and don't forget Chapstick.

16 hours ago, Golferclubs23 said:

leave following day 

im going to try to swap Bandon dunes for old Mac. Will follow up with cancellations, but nothing available to change now. I want to play Bandon in afternoon and old Mac when it is possibly less windy. 

if anyone has best places to eat meal based on this itinerary. We are staying on site. Do I need to make reservations? Thank you!

IMHO I wouldn't change anything. Embrace the wind. And it's not like Bandon doesn't play tougher in the wind either.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

17 hours ago, Golferclubs23 said:

leave following day 

The only thing to consider and not a must is already on your radar - swapping Bandon and Old Mac. Teeing off at 2:20 you probably will get to the coast with plenty of daylight on Bandon, but if you can bump back and get to 15, 16, 17 as the sun is starting to set it can be almost spiritual there. But if you can't make that work, it's nothing to fret over, your rota looks great. Couple other things to consider:

1. Between Pac and Trails on day 2, I'd say eat lunch at Trails. Best lunch menu there imo - the bulgogi beef sandwich and tuna poke bowl are great. Pac comes in at close second and you can eat there your last day on site between Bandon / Mac and your round. Dinners at McKees / Tufted Puffin are good calls. The Forge was fine but not worth the price imo. Haven't eaten at the Ghost Tree Grill.
  2. Depending on what your group is into - carving out time on any of the afternoons (maybe when you come off Old Mac?) for the Punchbowl is a must. Grab some drinks and just have a blast - you can hang there for hours. We've brought glow balls in the past and as long as you're not too rowdy (or even if you are) they'll let you go as late as you want. 
  3. Your 3rd round is free, so with the daylight in July and getting out early enough, we've played glow ball golf on some shorter loops as well. They do a good job of making sure everyone gets off every course safely, so not something you'll be doing at 11 pm, but if youre coming in with daylight waining and just want something fun for a hit and giggle, it's a good time. If your feet / body are up for it that's a ton of fun as well, although don't overdo it for your first time and regret how you feel later on. 

Group of 4 you don't "need" reservations, but also doesnt hurt. I'd suggest making them for what you think is ideal and if you try and place and don't like it so you don't want to run it back, or try a place and love it an do want to run it back, you can always try to move things around. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

8 minutes ago, kaschreiber said:

The only thing to consider and not a must is already on your radar - swapping Bandon and Old Mac. Teeing off at 2:20 you probably will get to the coast with plenty of daylight on Bandon, but if you can bump back and get to 15, 16, 17 as the sun is starting to set it can be almost spiritual there. But if you can't make that work, it's nothing to fret over, your rota looks great. Couple other things to consider:

1. Between Pac and Trails on day 2, I'd say eat lunch at Trails. Best lunch menu there imo - the bulgogi beef sandwich and tuna poke bowl are great. Pac comes in at close second and you can eat there your last day on site between Bandon / Mac and your round. Dinners at McKees / Tufted Puffin are good calls. The Forge was fine but not worth the price imo. Haven't eaten at the Ghost Tree Grill.
  2. Depending on what your group is into - carving out time on any of the afternoons (maybe when you come off Old Mac?) for the Punchbowl is a must. Grab some drinks and just have a blast - you can hang there for hours. We've brought glow balls in the past and as long as you're not too rowdy (or even if you are) they'll let you go as late as you want. 
  3. Your 3rd round is free, so with the daylight in July and getting out early enough, we've played glow ball golf on some shorter loops as well. They do a good job of making sure everyone gets off every course safely, so not something you'll be doing at 11 pm, but if youre coming in with daylight waining and just want something fun for a hit and giggle, it's a good time. If your feet / body are up for it that's a ton of fun as well, although don't overdo it for your first time and regret how you feel later on. 

Group of 4 you don't "need" reservations, but also doesnt hurt. I'd suggest making them for what you think is ideal and if you try and place and don't like it so you don't want to run it back, or try a place and love it an do want to run it back, you can always try to move things around. 

Was actually able to change it. Teeing off at Bandon dunes at 2:40. Should I try a little later...? 3:30?

playing old Mac the following day at 7:50.

so playing every course once and pd 2x. Thanks for the recommendations, I appreciate it 

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.0 Driver Black Ventus Velocore Shaft 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood GD Tour AD DI-7

Ping iCrossover GD Tour AD 9x
Srixon ZX7/DG AMT White 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM9 50,54,58
LAB Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick
Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

Podcasts: The Par Train

10 minutes ago, kaschreiber said:

For the third round of the day if we wanted to do a quick 6-8 hole loop. Figure we tee off at 2:20 and finish at 7 and want to play a few more and that it's free. Do we need a tee time (will they even book that late) or just kind of tell the starter that we played two rounds already and he will send us out. 

Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

5 minutes ago, Golferclubs23 said:

For the third round of the day if we wanted to do a quick 6-8 hole loop. Figure we tee off at 2:20 and finish at 7 and want to play a few more and that it's free. Do we need a tee time (will they even book that late) or just kind of tell the starter that we played two rounds already and he will send us out. 

How about 3:10 at Bandon dunes, is that a good time with sunset? 

Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

18 hours ago, Golferclubs23 said:

Why would you play Mac twice and BD none? Or do you just mean the times? 

I do agree Pac is the best to place twice though. Good schedule. 

1 hour ago, The Milkman said:

Why would you play Mac twice and BD none? Or do you just mean the times? 

I do agree Pac is the best to place twice though. Good schedule. 

Meant flip flop. Play every course once and pd twice 

shortys 10:30

preserve 3pm

PAC dunes 7:10
Trails 1:40

Bandon dunes 3:10

Old mac 7:50

leave following day

Edited by Golferclubs23

Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

1 hour ago, Golferclubs23 said:

You won't need a tee time for that third round.  There's a whole thread devoted to listing all the short loop possibilities.  Just ask at the round 2 pro shop after you finish and they can tell you which course is most open.  You will likely be the only people out there.  You will also have marshals checking on you a lot as it gets nearer to sunset.  They'll ask you what your plan is.  And once the sun does go down, it gets dark real fast, so you may want to bring a small flashlight or headlamp.

• Thanks 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Man we are getting absolutely dumped on with rain in Oregon today, I feel for anybody out there roughing it at Bandon!

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

3 hours ago, kaschreiber said:

Also what would you recommend for glow balls 

Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

Quick note for anyone traveling - We just had a major weather event here in western Oregon, and the entire Willamette Valley (Portland to Eugene) is under quite a bit of snow/sleet/frozen rain and very cold temps (15F in PDX, with wind chills near 0).  Travel is extremely difficult and hazardous.  Here's a link to the TripCheck site, with road cams and weather station info:

https://tripcheck.com/

Conditions are not expected to improve before Wednesday.  Lots of flight cancellations, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

6 hours ago, spud3 said:

Quick note for anyone traveling - We just had a major weather event here in western Oregon, and the entire Willamette Valley (Portland to Eugene) is under quite a bit of snow/sleet/frozen rain and very cold temps (15F in PDX, with wind chills near 0).  Travel is extremely difficult and hazardous.  Here's a link to the TripCheck site, with road cams and weather station info:

Conditions are not expected to improve before Wednesday.  Lots of flight cancellations, too.

I5 was closed from south of Eugene through cottage grove. Youll be directed to 99 then reconnect to i5 south of cottage grove about 5-10min from the exit to 38. 

with one rest stop stop and lunch in coos bay trip was about 7hrs. Once on 38 its clear  

On 1/13/2024 at 2:07 PM, Golferclubs23 said:

Also what would you recommend for glow balls 

https://www.amazon.com/THIODOON-Sports-Glowing-Lasting-Luminous/dp/B08KT6DRCZ/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=I9Q3AS3SEW7G&keywords=golf+glow+balls&qid=1705423536&sprefix=golf+glow+bal%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

They light up on impact, so just bounce em on concrete, your putter if using them at the punch bowl. 

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Question: I am aware that going to Bandon is (for some) a once in a lifetime experience and you can't put a money on it etc etc. I just need to know. As far as the green's fee when staying on property and charging them to room. If you were to just pay for each round (for example cash) do you save the extra fees (tax, OR tax, hospitality tax, whatever is usually thrown in). Instead of just charging to room and paying total when you depart. Just wondering because if someone plays 5-6 rounds in a week they would save $100-200. I understand isn't a lot but just wondering. Thank you 

Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

20 minutes ago, Golferclubs23 said:

Question: I am aware that going to Bandon is (for some) a once in a lifetime experience and you can't put a money on it etc etc. I just need to know. As far as the green's fee when staying on property and charging them to room. If you were to just pay for each round (for example cash) do you save the extra fees (tax, OR tax, hospitality tax, whatever is usually thrown in). Instead of just charging to room and paying total when you depart. Just wondering because if someone plays 5-6 rounds in a week they would save $100-200. I understand isn't a lot but just wondering. Thank you 

I've paid cash and charged to a room, in the end, same exact price.  They don't add hospitality tax to non-room charges.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golferclubs23 said:

There's no price difference when adding to room or separate. But IMO it does lead to more mindless spending. Nearly every time I've checked out from there and Sand Valley there are guys incredulously tallying up their bills.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, VNutz said:

There's no price difference when adding to room or separate. But IMO it does lead to more mindless spending. Nearly every time I've checked out from there and Sand Valley there are guys incredulously tallying up their bills.

$7 Bandon Pale Ales add up alot quicker than $3 Spotted Cows

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VNutz said:

Yup and the delivery of merch directly to your room doesn't help the cause either! 

• Like 3

Just charged to the room. Also if you buy enough stuff they’ll ship it for free.

Shipping rates are based on bag size and very reasonable. Take all your stuff from all the different pro shops and they’ll ship it home.

Only weird billing stuff happens when you check out and play 2 rounds that  same day. Both trips I wasn’t charged for the 2nd round / no complaints!

• Like 1

Bandon is not inexpensive by any means, but I found that they don't seem to nickel and dime you to death. We were down in October of last year with a group of 40 guys from our club. We had 36 hole days booked, a few private dinners, etc. After the fact when we were reconciling the total invoicing, we found out that they actually gave us quite a bit of money back. There were days where a few guys skipped the afternoon round, or skipped the golf on the last day that we flew out, and they were reimbursed for that. We had a private dinner booked and prepaid, and again a few guys skipped out on that, and we weren't charged. At that time the greens on Trails and Sheep were punched, so even though we had originally booked at full price, they reimbursed something like 25% of the green fees for those two rounds. So its definitely not a cheaper golf trip, but they seem to be honorable and willing to work with you and like I said, they didn't nickel and dime us to death, which was really nice. 

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

I'll be heading to Bandon for the first time in August. Looking forward to it! 

Driver: Titleist TSR2 w/Tour AD-TP

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

On 1/14/2024 at 11:02 AM, spud3 said:

You guys got hit with some nasty weather.  We lucked out in the southern part of the state.  

7 hours ago, Caddy Woods said:

Question:

We're doing a buddies trip in August. There are eight of us and we have back to back 4ball tee times booked on the Preserve on our first day. If we request to play as an 8ball are they pretty accommodating? Better to email reservations and ask for an official 8ball or just ask the starter?

Just ask the starter. Preserve is pretty busy generally but if you keep up it shouldn't be a problem.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"