2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

9 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

You guys got hit with some nasty weather.  We lucked out in the southern part of the state.  

Yeah during the week long ice storm it was a smooth 55* down in Medford 

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Yikes!

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

19 minutes ago, graveydellic said:

It's essentially a $1,000 a day per guy in the summer if you factor in golf, caddy, food, lodging, etc.  In the winter I can get out of there for about 1K total w/ 3 nights in lodge and playing 36-36.

This is the rough estimate I have told people when planning trips. First trip was in October, trip next year is in May - that's about right.

Not going to argue you cant go to a cheaper place to play golf, of course you can - but I dont think anyone in this thread would disagree with that. But if finding the cheapest place to go is your goal, BD isnt even going to make your Top 20 list.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Haha 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

This is the rough estimate I have told people when planning trips. First trip was in October, trip next year is in May - that's about right.

Not going to argue you cant go to a cheaper place to play golf, of course you can - but I dont think anyone in this thread would disagree with that. But if finding the cheapest place to go is your goal, BD isnt even going to make your Top 20 list.

I think first timers should go in the summer when days are long and weather is good.  Worth the spend.  If you become a regular (which I have annually), then to me winter is worth the risk on the weather.  It's simply an unbeatable deal for the price, especially if you catch a couple good days.  

I've had too many good winter trips to justify paying for a similar experience in peak season, but that's just me.  I have noticed that the clientele in the winter is very different than summer.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

Coming from the East Coast I'd love to take be able to roll the dice on the weather, shorter days, and cheaper rates, but with how difficult it is to get there its worth the extra price to ensure you have nice long days. 

Exactly. There's no way I'd risk it, I dont care what it cost.

If my sole focus was on saving money, there are 100 other places I could go to that dont involve a full day of travel on each end.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

5 hours ago, The Milkman said:

Coming from the East Coast I'd love to take be able to roll the dice on the weather, shorter days, and cheaper rates, but with how difficult it is to get there its worth the extra price to ensure you have nice long days. 

IMHO, April is the best compromise between weather and price.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jvincent said:

IMHO, April is the best compromise between weather and price.

+1 on this.  April has the added bonus of being when the gorse is in full bloom.

One thing I noticed when we did the Solstice a couple years ago (my first trip ever in high season) is that the courses play almost exactly the same in high season vs not-high season. Fairways still run fast, bunkers are still penal, greens are still slow-ish. 

Notable exception:  see jpx's post above from last week.  Oy!

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Meeting my boys for a weather window opportunity Sunday and Monday. Playing Sheep for the first time and then Old Mac. I've played Pac, Dunes, and Trails the most so it will be cool to check out Sheep and reconnect with Mac. Forecast is 62 deg with showers and 15mph wind. Let's go!

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

On 1/21/2024 at 12:47 AM, Caddy Woods said:

Question:

We're doing a buddies trip in August. There are eight of us and we have back to back 4ball tee times booked on the Preserve on our first day. If we request to play as an 8ball are they pretty accommodating? Better to email reservations and ask for an official 8ball or just ask the starter?

Never had this request turned down. You should be good. 

22 minutes ago, EMA1 said:

A group of us are heading to Bandon in mid February for the first time. We’re ready to face whatever weather comes our way, but are there any recommendations on what to bring to help with less than ideal weather? 

Also, do the push carts have umbrella mounts? 

Typically, but not always, wet weather at Bandon is accompanied by high wind. This tends to render umbrellas worthless. Not saying don't bring one, but plan accordingly. If you're using their rickshaw style pull cart and not bringing your own...I don't believe they have umbrella mounts. 

Waterproof bucket hat, high quality rain gear, waterproof shoes, and layered warmth are the way to go. The bucket hat I bought at Bandon was a Footjoy Dryjoy hat and it's been awesome in terrible weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

The ricksha carts at the resort don't have umbrella holders.  Don't bother to bring an umbrella, at Bandon just wear a bucket hat and full rain suit.  I've seen push carts blown away without an umbrella mounted there, putting an umbrella on just means your umbrella will blow into the ocean or if it's really firmly attached it will blow your cart and clubs into the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 3:09 PM, EMA1 said:

A group of us are heading to Bandon in mid February for the first time. We’re ready to face whatever weather comes our way, but are there any recommendations on what to bring to help with less than ideal weather? 

Also, do the push carts have umbrella mounts

You really are a first timer...😉

Umbrella and Bandon are a big no-no. Just way too much wind makes them a waste of time. It would be even worse having them mounted in a cart. 

I go Mid-Feb nearly every year. I have been lucky to be in shorts many times, and only a couple days in rain gear. You will really need to the full range of clothing. 

I am a big fan of waterproof golf bag (the caddies carry Sun Mountain H2NO's), rain gloves and a GoreTex rain suit. Then you want all sorts of layer options for the weather. Bring a few pair of shoes and lots of socks (one per round). Keep some dry socks in your bag or if you have 36 happening, you can ask nice and they will shuttle a bag to the pro-shop of your second round. Put in dry shoes, socks and some other items. That way you don't have to carry it for your first round. 

I will add, Bandon has some great rain gear for sale. If you want to risk it, the option to buy it there (with no sales tax) is pretty cool. And then you get a branded jacket as a souvenir. 

One tradition my buddies have is you buy a rain hat from the course that you play your lifetime rainiest round at. Each course will have a few options, and it will be a 'fun' memento if you need to get one.

I am sure people have lots of tips for rain gear. I play in the rain allot and I will wear tights under rain pants (either ones that keep you warm or cool depending on the weather). 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edaw68 said:

The ricksha carts at the resort don't have umbrella holders.  Don't bother to bring an umbrella, at Bandon just wear a bucket hat and full rain suit.  I've seen push carts blown away without an umbrella mounted there, putting an umbrella on just means your umbrella will blow into the ocean or if it's really firmly attached it will blow your cart and clubs into the ocean.

I've gone every November for the last 9 years—and the first trip is the only time I've ever used an umbrella there. That's because within about 2 minutes of me putting it on my push cart, the umbrella inverted and my cart blew over.

It never hurts to bring one, though, especially if you're using a pull/push cart and not worried about extra weight. This last November, we had one period of rain with very little wind. As my buddies popped their umbrellas open (and kept them that way for much of the round), I was a bit envious.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EMA1 said:

Umbrella at Bandon = sure sign of  a rookie.

GoreTex hat + good rain gear is the ticket. 

• Like 1

Well you guys saw the pic of my Wednesday round at OM.

none of the rain gear held up. Its not the rain gear’s fault. 

we had 1 guy with galvin green. Another didnt have “golf” rain gear but with our recommendations, goretex. Another 2 had fj suits. And 2 with high end nike suits. The issue isnt with the rain soaking through the suit itself, the issue was the amount of rain we had and it blowing sideways. It was dripping down our neck to the under garments. I had full golf boots on and the zipper was exposed on the top of the shoe. if there is an exposed zipper at all in that weather, water was getting in. 

One in our group described his steps like he was walking in a pool. Squishing with each step and water would seep out of the top of the shoe between the tongue. 

We all were SOAKED including our underlayers. Nothing was going to help, might as well not have had any rain gear on. Though most people aren’t going to put up with that weather, we did. And it sure was fun!! The shots you got to try out. Great time was had. The shoe/glove dryer ran all night and the hairdryer was used to dry out both of our h2no’s. 

• Like 1

Wear your umbrella.  I've seen more than a few folks chasing their umbrella, hat, cart (or all the above) across the fairways.  I've seen wind strong enough to push clic gear carts along the ground when they have been laid on their side.  There's a reason that the bucket hats sold on site have chin straps.

When the wind is really howling, it can blow you off your feet in the middle of your backswing.  It is humbling, to say the least.

Like j experienced above, when the wind is blowing the rain horizontally, all bets are off, raingear-wise.  Those are the days to just take a half set out in a small carry bag and play old shag-bag balls, because you never really know where they're going to go.

There will be plenty of folks on this board that will react to statements like that with "why would you want to DO that?  Why spend all that money and effort only to be hammered by the weather and not actually get to play 'golf'..?"

Answer: cuz it's actually pretty cool...

• Like 2

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

5 hours ago, spud3 said:

Like j experienced above, when the wind is blowing the rain horizontally, all bets are off, raingear-wise.

Nothing you can do at that point, the best gear in the world is going to get soaked.

On my last trip both our caddies said even their "official" rain suits were a joke in that kind of weather, everything is getting wet. The best unofficial caddie jacket they had was a top of the line Grundens jacket - which is high end fishing gear.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

9 hours ago, spud3 said:

Like j experienced above, when the wind is blowing the rain horizontally, all bets are off, raingear-wise.  Those are the days to just take a half set out in a small carry bag and play old shag-bag balls, because you never really know where they're going to go.

There will be plenty of folks on this board that will react to statements like that with "why would you want to DO that?  Why spend all that money and effort only to be hammered by the weather and not actually get to play 'golf'..?"

Answer: cuz it's actually pretty cool...

Two trips ago the forecast for one of my days was bad. I was originally going to play 36 that day but switched it to 18 at Bandon.

It was a day of rain squalls and high wind. So, it alternated between sideways super heavy rain and just wind. It was like being in a Dyson hand dryer. One line of rain would come through and then 10 minutes later the wind would blow all the water off my bag and rain gear so I never really got wet.

It was interesting aiming 40 yards left/right of some targets to try to get the ball where I wanted it.

17 hours ago, EMA1 said:

Hydrophobic base layers (underwear), avoid cotton garments, which, if they get wet, will stay soaked. And Ziploc bags to keep stuff in your golf bag dry. 

Edited by bellken

On 1/21/2024 at 2:47 AM, Caddy Woods said:

Question:

We're doing a buddies trip in August. There are eight of us and we have back to back 4ball tee times booked on the Preserve on our first day. If we request to play as an 8ball are they pretty accommodating? Better to email reservations and ask for an official 8ball or just ask the starter?

I've had mixed experiences with this. On my trips we typically try to reserve the last spot on the day at Preserve and join groups. The first time they had zero issue with it. The last 2 times they were on us like hawks to stay separated, even with nobody else around. Seemed like perhaps their stance had changed on it. Your mileage may vary.

Regarding wet weather gear: I've made an annual, five day trip to Bandon since 2002 and have played in every kind of weather out there. A good rain gear strategy will make the difference between enjoying the round and just suffering through it. It can also give you an advantage over those less prepared. As others have said, forget the umbrella. Layering is key, and NO cotton. Also, pick up a couple pair of golf rain gloves, they make a big difference. For head gear, I tried and ditched several different bucket and wide brimmed hats. They didn't work for me as rain still got down the neck in the worst conditions, but more importantly I hated the droopy brim in my sightline. The solution I settled on, and still use, is a Titleist Stay Dry baseball cap with a hooded rain shell. When it's raining, hood up. I can also put a beanie over the cap when its cold. When its not raining, hood down. My rain shell isn't even golf specific, it's an Eddie Bauer Weatheredge Stretch and has been perfect even in the worst conditions (it's also considerably less expensive than  GG, FJ etc.) Also if you wear glasses, get contacts. I see my optometrist once a year in January for a checkup and she gives me enough contact samples for the trip to Bandon (it's the only time I ever wear them). With the right setup you might actually look forward to the rain days.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

If you're planning to use Bandon's Rikshas, I recommend picking up this stroller organizer.  It worked great.  Pro Tip:  don't use it to hold snacks or the crows will steal them.  I bought protein balls at Pac #3, dropped them in the organizer, hit my tee shot on 4, and the snacks were already gone by the time put the driver back in my bag. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PK1G76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

unnamed.jpg.f1b6bf973a380c2b9a26b5fb7f2dce08.jpg

Edited by jimwgt26
  • Like 1