2019 Pure Silk Championship May 23 - 26

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

>

> I believe Titleist will have Jennifer Kupcho as a brand ambassador as soon as she turns pro. She was donning Titleist gear at the Augusta Women's Am.

>

>

She turns pro this week at the USWO. We'll find out soon enough.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @agolf1 said:

> > @18majors said:

> > Brooke Henderson continues her march towards top of Rolex ranking; she moves to No. 6 with her T2 finish.

> I know her name came up in the discussion about the Rolex Rankings before. I've had her as a top 5 player out there - this year and last (or i.e. at the start of the season). But maybe that's because I value/remember the wins. I'd rather see someone win multiple times per year and blow-up for a quarter of the season vs. finish Top 10 a bunch of times (or more times than the player in the first option).

>

>** She also has the game to dominate for a week and make everyone else look useless. ** This may also add to the perception...

So you're saying that she is the Rory McIlroy of the LPGA Tour?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

> >

> > I believe Titleist will have Jennifer Kupcho as a brand ambassador as soon as she turns pro. She was donning Titleist gear at the Augusta Women's Am.

> >

> >

>

> She turns pro this week at the USWO. We'll find out soon enough.

>

That just doesn't sound like a Titleist thing. They've always focused on am's, college and the PGA Tour.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

> > >

> > > I believe Titleist will have Jennifer Kupcho as a brand ambassador as soon as she turns pro. She was donning Titleist gear at the Augusta Women's Am.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > She turns pro this week at the USWO. We'll find out soon enough.

> >

> That just doesn't sound like a Titleist thing. They've always focused on am's, college and the PGA Tour.

>

I thought she was playing all Ping? I mainly remember because the ZZ-65 shafts are a quite old model and they are pretty stiff.

http://www.golfwrx.com/553210/jennifer-kupchos-winning-witb-augusta-national-womens-amateur/

I love the women's game and think their bags make more sense for most mortal hackers. But I'm not sure Lydia, Wie, or Lexi are really helping sell any clubs. I can't recall the last time a guy mentioned what a woman is playing as a reason for why they bought a club. And all the good women players just play the men's clubs anyways. And middle age hacker ladies play completely different clubs too (where color and whether it looks nice probably matter the most).

OK, I'll admit that I ditched my Mizuno blades for some cavity backs, and the fact that In Gee and Brooke were playing i200's last season was a big reason I went with them.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Jennifer was playing a Ping driver and hybrids at the ANWA. Her irons didn't look like Ping, though.

Edit: I take that back. The irons look like i210's.

![](https://cdnph.upi.com/pv/upi/a875b8161b804ea5254a2457e38465c4/AUGUSTA-NATIONAL-WOMENS-AMATEUR.jpg "")

> @agolf1 said:

> > @tbowles411 said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

> > > >

> > > > I believe Titleist will have Jennifer Kupcho as a brand ambassador as soon as she turns pro. She was donning Titleist gear at the Augusta Women's Am.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > She turns pro this week at the USWO. We'll find out soon enough.

> > >

> > That just doesn't sound like a Titleist thing. They've always focused on am's, college and the PGA Tour.

> >

> I thought she was playing all Ping? I mainly remember because the ZZ-65 shafts are a quite old model and they are pretty stiff.

> http://www.golfwrx.com/553210/jennifer-kupchos-winning-witb-augusta-national-womens-amateur/

>

> I love the women's game and think their bags make more sense for most mortal hackers. But I'm not sure Lydia, Wie, or Lexi are really helping sell any clubs. I can't recall the last time a guy mentioned what a woman is playing as a reason for why they bought a club. And all the good women players just play the men's clubs anyways. And middle age hacker ladies play completely different clubs too (where color and whether it looks nice probably matter the most).

I could be wrong, but I assume she plays PING because they have an equipment deal with Wake Forest?

If she was going to play PING going pro, I guess its just odd that she would wear a Titleist hat at Augusta...I thought PING was pretty strict with regards to what their staffers wear. Most pro players dont wear headwear showcasing just the ball they play, especially Titleist players. I guess we will find out soon enough.

> @gvogel said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @18majors said:

> > > Brooke Henderson continues her march towards top of Rolex ranking; she moves to No. 6 with her T2 finish.

> > I know her name came up in the discussion about the Rolex Rankings before. I've had her as a top 5 player out there - this year and last (or i.e. at the start of the season). But maybe that's because I value/remember the wins. I'd rather see someone win multiple times per year and blow-up for a quarter of the season vs. finish Top 10 a bunch of times (or more times than the player in the first option).

> >

> >** She also has the game to dominate for a week and make everyone else look useless. ** This may also add to the perception...

>

> So you're saying that she is the Rory McIlroy of the LPGA Tour?

Over the last couple of years she's probably better (relatively speaking). Obviously, Rory has a much better career to date (he's also older).

I'm just saying I don't care what the rankings said. At the start of the year, she is one of the 5 people I would have picked to win multiple times. Not too many people do that in a year, so I'd consider her one of the best people out there.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @tbowles411 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

> > > > >

> > > > > I believe Titleist will have Jennifer Kupcho as a brand ambassador as soon as she turns pro. She was donning Titleist gear at the Augusta Women's Am.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > She turns pro this week at the USWO. We'll find out soon enough.

> > > >

> > > That just doesn't sound like a Titleist thing. They've always focused on am's, college and the PGA Tour.

> > >

> > I thought she was playing all Ping? I mainly remember because the ZZ-65 shafts are a quite old model and they are pretty stiff.

> > http://www.golfwrx.com/553210/jennifer-kupchos-winning-witb-augusta-national-womens-amateur/

> >

> > I love the women's game and think their bags make more sense for most mortal hackers. But I'm not sure Lydia, Wie, or Lexi are really helping sell any clubs. I can't recall the last time a guy mentioned what a woman is playing as a reason for why they bought a club. And all the good women players just play the men's clubs anyways. And middle age hacker ladies play completely different clubs too (where color and whether it looks nice probably matter the most).

>

> I could be wrong, but I assume she plays PING because they have an equipment deal with Wake Forest?

>

> If she was going to play PING going pro, I guess its just odd that she would wear a Titleist hat at Augusta...I thought PING was pretty strict with regards to what their staffers wear. Most pro players dont wear headwear showcasing just the ball they play, especially Titleist players. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Sorry, I didn't notice the hat and wasn't aware of the nuance.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > > @tbowles411 said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > > > When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

> > > > >

> > > > > I believe Titleist will have Jennifer Kupcho as a brand ambassador as soon as she turns pro. She was donning Titleist gear at the Augusta Women's Am.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > She turns pro this week at the USWO. We'll find out soon enough.

> > > >

> > > That just doesn't sound like a Titleist thing. They've always focused on am's, college and the PGA Tour.

> > >

> > I thought she was playing all Ping? I mainly remember because the ZZ-65 shafts are a quite old model and they are pretty stiff.

> > http://www.golfwrx.com/553210/jennifer-kupchos-winning-witb-augusta-national-womens-amateur/

> >

> > I love the women's game and think their bags make more sense for most mortal hackers. But I'm not sure Lydia, Wie, or Lexi are really helping sell any clubs. I can't recall the last time a guy mentioned what a woman is playing as a reason for why they bought a club. And all the good women players just play the men's clubs anyways. And middle age hacker ladies play completely different clubs too (where color and whether it looks nice probably matter the most).

>

> I could be wrong, but I assume she plays PING because they have an equipment deal with Wake Forest?

>

> If she was going to play PING going pro, I guess its just odd that she would wear a Titleist hat at Augusta...I thought PING was pretty strict with regards to what their staffers wear. Most pro players dont wear headwear showcasing just the ball they play, especially Titleist players. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Except that she was still an amateur at the ANWA. 'Don't think Ping had any say in what hat she was wearing. If she had a deal lined up with Titleist, it wouldn't surprise me to see her donning their hat.

> @Argonne69 said:

> OK, I'll admit that I ditched my Mizuno blades for some cavity backs, and the fact that In Gee and Brooke were playing i200's last season was a big reason I went with them.

I'm pretty sure Brooke is still using the i200's for her irons but everything else from wedges, hybrids and woods is the 400 series. I've always wondered if the sponsors make or put pressure to use the latest versions of their equipment when perhaps the player wants to stay with an older version.

> @Stooch said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > OK, I'll admit that I ditched my Mizuno blades for some cavity backs, and the fact that In Gee and Brooke were playing i200's last season was a big reason I went with them.

>

> I'm pretty sure Brooke is still using the i200's for her irons but everything else from wedges, hybrids and woods is the 400 series. I've always wondered if the sponsors make or put pressure to use the latest versions of their equipment when perhaps the player wants to stay with an older version.

I don't believe Ping forces them to use the latest and greatest. I noticed a number of players still playing i200's and G400 series woods.

> @Stooch said:

> I've always wondered if the sponsors make or put pressure to use the latest versions of their equipment when perhaps the player wants to stay with an older version.

I assume there's some nudging from sponsors to play the latest stuff, but a player will use what's best for them. Lexi played Cobra S2 Forged irons forever. Cobra finally made a prototype for her this year, not sure if she is using them or not.

> @ChronicSlicer said:

> > @Stooch said:

>

> > I've always wondered if the sponsors make or put pressure to use the latest versions of their equipment when perhaps the player wants to stay with an older version.

>

> I assume there's some nudging from sponsors to play the latest stuff, but a player will use what's best for them. Lexi played Cobra S2 Forged irons forever. Cobra finally made a prototype for her this year, not sure if she is using them or not.

Yes, I think Cobra really didn't push Lexi to upgrade her 6+ year old S2's because they knew Lexi had zero influence on golf consumer's buying decisions on new irons...heck....I don't think she also any impact on Puma apparel sales.

Fowler's biggest impact on Cobra/Puma has been his ability to influence apparel sales....especially orange apparel sales years ago.

Bryson did have some impact on the single length irons sales....for some golfers they like them...but I think it was primarily a fad...yes some WRX's have used them and like them...but I have yet to see a set of SL's in the bags of golfers I see at the course.

Whether Kupcho signs with Ping or Titleist....I think it won't be a significant endorsement....or one that is heavily performance based....although she's been #1 women's Am ranked...there's a possiblity she could be a LPGA wash-out.....only time will tell if she a consistent contender on the LPGA.

Ping and Titleist are well known for large player's contracts...except for some select pros on the PGA tour.

Jennifer could sign with both companies with smaller contracts each.

Besides....Kupcho is kinda bland....I think Farsi ha a better chance to sign bigger contracts IF she can win quickly on the LPGA...she has a better personality to attract sponsorships.

> @Argonne69 said:

> When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

>

>

Although the following might never have had big contracts or been official Brand Ambassadors with Titleist.....didn't Charley, Lincicome and Brittany Lang win in the past few years with Titleist clubs....Lang had a Titleist visor when she won the 2016 USWO.

Up here in Canada...you'll see a good portion of higher level Am's playing Titleist...but I believe this has to do with large discounts from Titleist to those Am's.

> @KBong said:

> Whether Kupcho signs with Ping or Titleist....I think it won't be a significant endorsement....or one that is heavily performance based....although she's been #1 women's Am ranked...there's a possiblity she could be a LPGA wash-out.....only time will tell if she a consistent contender on the LPGA.

> Ping and Titleist are well known for large player's contracts...except for some select pros on the PGA tour.

>

> Jennifer could sign with both companies with smaller contracts each.

>

> Besides....Kupcho is kinda bland....I think Farsi ha a better chance to sign bigger contracts IF she can win quickly on the LPGA...she has a better personality to attract sponsorships.

On Instagram Jennifer says she’s “thankful for the support of Ping for her equipment and Titleist/Footjoy for balls, gloves, and shoes and appreciates the relationships with both companies.”

> @KBong said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > When was the last time a Titleist staffer won on the LPGA? I can't recall one winning in recent years years. I'm not sure if Bronte is even considered a staffer. The Titleist website shows zero Brand Ambassadors on the LPGA.

> >

> >

>

> Although the following might never have had big contracts or been official Brand Ambassadors with Titleist.....didn't Charley, Lincicome and Brittany Lang win in the past few years with Titleist clubs....Lang had a Titleist visor when she won the 2016 USWO.

>

> Up here in Canada...you'll see a good portion of higher level Am's playing Titleist...but I believe this has to do with large discounts from Titleist to those Am's.

Yeah, Brittany Lincicome plays Titleist irons and driver. Charley used to play Titleist, but currently has an all Taylormade bag.

Danielle has also won twice with Titleist irons in her bag.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Stooch said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > OK, I'll admit that I ditched my Mizuno blades for some cavity backs, and the fact that In Gee and Brooke were playing i200's last season was a big reason I went with them.

> >

> > I'm pretty sure Brooke is still using the i200's for her irons but everything else from wedges, hybrids and woods is the 400 series. I've always wondered if the sponsors make or put pressure to use the latest versions of their equipment when perhaps the player wants to stay with an older version.

>

> I don't believe Ping forces them to use the latest and greatest. I noticed a number of players still playing i200's and G400 series woods.

>

The Ping website shows Brooke playing the i210s, although obviously this could be wrong. One the woods, I don't know how early Ping (or any manufacturer) will release products to the players (ahead of retail). However, it seems like the continued usage of the G400 woods/hybrids could be do the the relatively late release date. In Gee always seems to switch quickly (now with the 410 LST driver), but I can see why some people don't want to change once they've essentially started the season (almost seems like Ping may be better off pushing this stuff out in the fall).

Of note, In Gee's driver is now 46 3/4 and she's gone to a lighter shaft (AD IZ 4). She must really be hitting up on the ball to be playing 7 degrees of stamped loft - looks like very focused on trying to add distance.

On the men's side, Spieth famously played the 910 and 915 drivers through the next product cycle. He probably had more sway than others with regards to contract terms. But it does seem like the manufacturers have got players to upgrade the fairway woods more often in recent years. Not sure if the players actually think the new clubs are better or if the companies have just been able to push this through. On the women's side, there's probably very few contracts where the manufacturers feel like they are paying a ton for endorsement of the latest and greatest. Both sides are probably happy with the general brand used/advertised and free stuff/a bit of money.

46. 75"? No wonder In Gee can't hit a fairway.

> @Argonne69 said:

> 46. 75"? No wonder In Gee can't hit a fairway.

I'm pretty sure this length is new, as I believe she had the G410 Plus in the bag earlier this year at 45 something.

If anyone can do it (play something this long), it's an LPGA player. They have the strike and tempo but it still cant' be easy. I'm sure In Gee has compared the numbers but 1.48-1.50 smash is going to beat out a few mph for most people.

The change also makes you wonder. She probably knows she needs more distance (kind of obvious). But what changed vs. 2-3 years ago? Going this route (longer and lighter) suggests there's something else going on with her swing/speed. I.e. what was there in 2016-2017 isn't coming back, which is concerning.

As I noted in an earlier thread, I think the loss of distance is directly attributable to the loss of accuracy. A player hitting it in the rough loses a lot of distance, and the two shots on the two measured driving holes are used regardless of whether the ball is in the fairway or rough.

> @Argonne69 said:

> As I noted in an earlier thread, I think the loss of distance is directly attributable to the loss of accuracy. A player hitting it in the rough loses a lot of distance, and the two shots on the two measured driving holes are used regardless of whether the ball is in the fairway or rough.

>

Generally, I agree, but it seems like she would really need to be missing the fairway disproportionately on the measured holes. Her driving accuracy is only down ~5 percentage points. Let's say they get 25 yards of run-out if they hit the fairway vs. the rough. That's only a couple of yards impact on average distance. I guess missing on the measured holes may be the case since relatively speaking it's a small sample. Apologies if the specifics on her drives has been discussed in detail. I know the her distance in general has been mentioned a lot but I don't recall the hole by hole specifics for the season off the top of my head.

Would be really interesting to see how she's carrying her irons vs. the 2015 US Open. The lofts on the i25s and i210s are within a degree (5 iron and PW) assuming she is playing stock lofts.

> @Argonne69 said:

> As I noted in an earlier thread, I think the loss of distance is directly attributable to the loss of accuracy. A player hitting it in the rough loses a lot of distance, and the two shots on the two measured driving holes are used regardless of whether the ball is in the fairway or rough.

>

You're deep diving way too much...it's not that complicated.

In Gee's loss of distance is attributed to 2 simple things only:

1) Ha Jang's dad

2) Samsonite

Dumbo remains silent as she cannot comment on the $10B won lawsuit against the 2 above defendants within the Supreme Court of South Korea has not been resolved yet. :)

> @agolf1 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > As I noted in an earlier thread, I think the loss of distance is directly attributable to the loss of accuracy. A player hitting it in the rough loses a lot of distance, and the two shots on the two measured driving holes are used regardless of whether the ball is in the fairway or rough.

> >

> Generally, I agree, but it seems like she would really need to be missing the fairway disproportionately on the measured holes. Her driving accuracy is only down ~5 percentage points. Let's say they get 25 yards of run-out if they hit the fairway vs. the rough. That's only a couple of yards impact on average distance. I guess missing on the measured holes may be the case since relatively speaking it's a small sample. Apologies if the specifics on her drives has been discussed in detail. I know the her distance in general has been mentioned a lot but I don't recall the hole by hole specifics for the season off the top of my head.

>

> Would be really interesting to see how she's carrying her irons vs. the 2015 US Open. The lofts on the i25s and i210s are within a degree (5 iron and PW) assuming she is playing stock lofts.

I always seem to hit my worst drives on the longest holes. Simply trying too hard. A few weeks ago she had daily averages of 237, 233, 253, and 265. That sure seems like a player missing fairways on the first two days, and hitting them on the weekend. I can't wait until the LPGA gets ShotLink, or something equivalent, so we can get driving distance on ever hole, and not just two.

> @Argonne69 said:

> A few weeks ago she had daily averages of 237, 233, 253, and 265. That sure seems like a player missing fairways on the first two days, and hitting them on the weekend.

Probably true. But the shaft change seems a bit odd. Maybe less so on the weight, as she was probably playing something within 5-10 grams. And I think over time the lightweight shafts have improved (still being relatively stiff in the tip and better consistency), so I can see how this dynamic is still evolving for players. But with regards to length, she's probably played a 45 something inch driver for most of her golfing life (if not nearly the entire time with her current body frame/height). It just smells a bit like a desperation move to pickup yardage. Especially if the main issue is just getting it in the fairway on certain holes (for how the stats/ranking looks).

We'll see. Definitely not many other players that us fans are cheering for more than In Gee.

> @Argonne69 said:

> I always seem to hit my worst drives on the longest holes. Simply trying too hard.

I'm also amazed at how the pros (both tours) seem to be able to get a bit more distance when they need it.

For me, I've realized the trade-off is + 10 / -20 yards, which just doesn't make sense in the long-run given my odds of pulling off the better outcome. It's easier said than done but swing your driver with the same tempo as your 7-iron on 14 tee shots and the results are usually better than average.