2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Music on the course - I'm turning against it after supporting it

> @lawsonman said:

> > @Edward_Majorwin said:

> > I have sinned my brethren! Last Friday I allowed a guy in my group to play his mostly awful music at a volume I considered inconsiderate of others...and I said nothing. I enjoyed the excellent David Gilmour solo on "Time" as I walked along the 2nd hole fairway but most of the songs after that were downright s**t. We passed by a few groups and got the stink eye here and there...what a hypocrite I am!

>

> I did the same thing in league last week. I kept waiting for someone else to say something and it never happened. It won't happen again.

Politely asking someone to turn it down shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then they are either inconsiderate or you're not asking nicely.

Most my regulars like music, but when I'm playing with someone that doesn't I turn it down when I'm near them such as tee box and green or I don't have it on at all. But it can be enjoyable as I walk down the fairway to my own ball.

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @Edward_Majorwin said:

> > > I have sinned my brethren! Last Friday I allowed a guy in my group to play his mostly awful music at a volume I considered inconsiderate of others...and I said nothing. I enjoyed the excellent David Gilmour solo on "Time" as I walked along the 2nd hole fairway but most of the songs after that were downright s**t. We passed by a few groups and got the stink eye here and there...what a hypocrite I am!

> >

> > I did the same thing in league last week. I kept waiting for someone else to say something and it never happened. It won't happen again.

>

>** Politely asking someone to turn it down shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then they are either inconsiderate or you're not asking nicely.**

>

> Most my regulars like music, but when I'm playing with someone that doesn't I turn it down when I'm near them such as tee box and green or I don't have it on at all. But it can be enjoyable as I walk down the fairway to my own ball.

And there is the issue. It shouldn't be on me to ask you politely, or to ask you at all.

I will stipulate that you are the most reasonable, considerate and self-aware music player in the history of the game. BUt the typical conversation is some variation of "we were going to play some tunes. Cool?" Say no, and you get "we'll keep it down, no worries bro." Basically, even though they are the ones bringing the foreign to golf item, they are basically transferring the d bag role to the other guy, because they are basically making him decide whether to say no and be *that guy* (and rest assured, 98% of all music players will consider you *that guy* for saying you don't want music), or he shuts his mouth and he doesn't enjoy the round because of it.

Believe you me, you may be reasonable about things, but you are the exception that proves the rule. Our club had a specific statement regarding music in our club championship, that it wouldn't be allowed as it was against the rules. There was a near revolt. The music players were not having any of it.

• Like 1

> @chippa13 said:

> Not so easy once you've set the precedent of allowing it.

We've only got one guy that does it so it really won't be a problem next time.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I just played some golf with some guys I haven't seen in quite a while and the fellow in my cart brought his music box with him. He was considerate about the volume in specific places but it wasn't the type of music I normally prefer. I don't like being the person that is burdened by the responsibility of telling another to turn it down or in fact turn it off because I don't want to make any waves so to speak. I value an amicable atmosphere over not having music playing. Just because people don't speak up and say they don't like the music on the course , doesn't mean they like it playing, it's just that they're being polite and don't want to cause any rifts. Funny thing was, when the round was over he turned off the music it was a relief to hear the natural sounds of the course and not the music.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > @Edward_Majorwin said:

> > > > I have sinned my brethren! Last Friday I allowed a guy in my group to play his mostly awful music at a volume I considered inconsiderate of others...and I said nothing. I enjoyed the excellent David Gilmour solo on "Time" as I walked along the 2nd hole fairway but most of the songs after that were downright s**t. We passed by a few groups and got the stink eye here and there...what a hypocrite I am!

> > >

> > > I did the same thing in league last week. I kept waiting for someone else to say something and it never happened. It won't happen again.

> >

> >** Politely asking someone to turn it down shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then they are either inconsiderate or you're not asking nicely.**

> >

> > Most my regulars like music, but when I'm playing with someone that doesn't I turn it down when I'm near them such as tee box and green or I don't have it on at all. But it can be enjoyable as I walk down the fairway to my own ball.

>

> And there is the issue. It shouldn't be on me to ask you politely, or to ask you at all.

> I will stipulate that you are the most reasonable, considerate and self-aware music player in the history of the game. BUt the typical conversation is some variation of "we were going to play some tunes. Cool?" Say no, and you get "we'll keep it down, no worries bro." Basically, even though they are the ones bringing the foreign to golf item, they are basically transferring the d bag role to the other guy, because they are basically making him decide whether to say no and be *that guy* (and rest assured, 98% of all music players will consider you *that guy* for saying you don't want music), or he shuts his mouth and he doesn't enjoy the round because of it.

>

> Believe you me, you may be reasonable about things, but you are the exception that proves the rule. Our club had a specific statement regarding music in our club championship, that it wouldn't be allowed as it was against the rules. There was a near revolt. The music players were not having any of it.

Maybe I'm fortunate, maybe it's a regional thing, maybe people are generally more polite in my region, but so far it hasn't been an issue with others playing music so loud it was a disturbance. Just know that even though I occasionally listen to music on the course it doesn't mean I want to hear other peoples music. I've asked others to turn it down before. The whole thing only works when everyone is considerate. Another rule of mine is I won't listen to music if I play with guys I don't know. But with my regulars it's easy to be forward enough to speak up about the things we don't like.

As far as it "shouldn't be on you"... well there are lots of things in golf that can be more annoying such as; putting up with slow players, players that don't fix divots and ball marks, noise from mowers, gas carts, weed whackers, leaf blowers etc. A little bit of music at modest levels is the least bothersome in my opinion. Sure "modest volume" is relative, but if the music is at a low din (perhaps low 40's db at 20 feet or so... that's a soft whisper for those unfamiliar with the db scale) then it shouldn't be a bother to anyone. If someone is freaking out about that then perhaps they are a bit too up tight.

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > > @Edward_Majorwin said:

> > > > > I have sinned my brethren! Last Friday I allowed a guy in my group to play his mostly awful music at a volume I considered inconsiderate of others...and I said nothing. I enjoyed the excellent David Gilmour solo on "Time" as I walked along the 2nd hole fairway but most of the songs after that were downright s**t. We passed by a few groups and got the stink eye here and there...what a hypocrite I am!

> > > >

> > > > I did the same thing in league last week. I kept waiting for someone else to say something and it never happened. It won't happen again.

> > >

> > >** Politely asking someone to turn it down shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then they are either inconsiderate or you're not asking nicely.**

> > >

> > > Most my regulars like music, but when I'm playing with someone that doesn't I turn it down when I'm near them such as tee box and green or I don't have it on at all. But it can be enjoyable as I walk down the fairway to my own ball.

> >

> > And there is the issue. It shouldn't be on me to ask you politely, or to ask you at all.

> > I will stipulate that you are the most reasonable, considerate and self-aware music player in the history of the game. BUt the typical conversation is some variation of "we were going to play some tunes. Cool?" Say no, and you get "we'll keep it down, no worries bro." Basically, even though they are the ones bringing the foreign to golf item, they are basically transferring the d bag role to the other guy, because they are basically making him decide whether to say no and be *that guy* (and rest assured, 98% of all music players will consider you *that guy* for saying you don't want music), or he shuts his mouth and he doesn't enjoy the round because of it.

> >

> > Believe you me, you may be reasonable about things, but you are the exception that proves the rule. Our club had a specific statement regarding music in our club championship, that it wouldn't be allowed as it was against the rules. There was a near revolt. The music players were not having any of it.

>

> Maybe I'm fortunate, maybe it's a regional thing, maybe people are generally more polite in my region, but so far it hasn't been an issue with others playing music so loud it was a disturbance. Just know that even though I occasionally listen to music on the course it doesn't mean I want to hear other peoples music. I've asked others to turn it down before. The whole thing only works when everyone is considerate. Another rule of mine is I won't listen to music if I play with guys I don't know. But with my regulars it's easy to be forward enough to speak up about the things we don't like.

>

> As far as it "shouldn't be on you"... well there are lots of things in golf that can be more annoying such as; putting up with slow players, players that don't fix divots and ball marks, noise from mowers, gas carts, weed whackers, leaf blowers etc. A little bit of music at modest levels is the least bothersome in my opinion. Sure "modest volume" is relative, but if the music is at a low din (perhaps low 40's db at 20 feet or so... that's a soft whisper for those unfamiliar with the db scale) then it shouldn't be a bother to anyone. If someone is freaking out about that then perhaps they are a bit too up tight.

Tastes differ. A leaf blower 100 yards away is far less annoying to me than someone else's music from 100 yards away. Far less.

• Like 1

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > > @Edward_Majorwin said:

> > > > > I have sinned my brethren! Last Friday I allowed a guy in my group to play his mostly awful music at a volume I considered inconsiderate of others...and I said nothing. I enjoyed the excellent David Gilmour solo on "Time" as I walked along the 2nd hole fairway but most of the songs after that were downright s**t. We passed by a few groups and got the stink eye here and there...what a hypocrite I am!

> > > >

> > > > I did the same thing in league last week. I kept waiting for someone else to say something and it never happened. It won't happen again.

> > >

> > >** Politely asking someone to turn it down shouldn't be a problem. If it is, then they are either inconsiderate or you're not asking nicely.**

> > >

> > > Most my regulars like music, but when I'm playing with someone that doesn't I turn it down when I'm near them such as tee box and green or I don't have it on at all. But it can be enjoyable as I walk down the fairway to my own ball.

> >

> > And there is the issue. It shouldn't be on me to ask you politely, or to ask you at all.

> > I will stipulate that you are the most reasonable, considerate and self-aware music player in the history of the game. BUt the typical conversation is some variation of "we were going to play some tunes. Cool?" Say no, and you get "we'll keep it down, no worries bro." Basically, even though they are the ones bringing the foreign to golf item, they are basically transferring the d bag role to the other guy, because they are basically making him decide whether to say no and be *that guy* (and rest assured, 98% of all music players will consider you *that guy* for saying you don't want music), or he shuts his mouth and he doesn't enjoy the round because of it.

> >

> > Believe you me, you may be reasonable about things, but you are the exception that proves the rule. Our club had a specific statement regarding music in our club championship, that it wouldn't be allowed as it was against the rules. There was a near revolt. The music players were not having any of it.

>

> Maybe I'm fortunate, maybe it's a regional thing, maybe people are generally more polite in my region, but so far it hasn't been an issue with others playing music so loud it was a disturbance. Just know that even though I occasionally listen to music on the course it doesn't mean I want to hear other peoples music. I've asked others to turn it down before. The whole thing only works when everyone is considerate. Another rule of mine is I won't listen to music if I play with guys I don't know. But with my regulars it's easy to be forward enough to speak up about the things we don't like.

>

> As far as it "shouldn't be on you"... well there are lots of things in golf that can be more annoying such as; putting up with slow players, players that don't fix divots and ball marks, noise from mowers, gas carts, weed whackers, leaf blowers etc. A little bit of music at modest levels is the least bothersome in my opinion. Sure "modest volume" is relative, but if the music is at a low din (perhaps low 40's db at 20 feet or so... that's a soft whisper for those unfamiliar with the db scale) then it shouldn't be a bother to anyone. If someone is freaking out about that then perhaps they are a bit too up tight.

Well, first of all, I always tell my nieces and nephews that relativity is not a defense. Something isn't any more right because something else is more wrong. Other noises out there don't make music ok AFAIC.

And as has been said in this and other threads, if it was played at this soft whisper, we wouldn't have this issue, would we?

But I find it interesting you don't want to hear other people's music. So you and I are paired, you want to listen to, I believe you said earlier, rap, and I want to hear opera. So what do we do? And if the answer is there'll be no music, then why force the issue in the first place?

> @Bluefan75 said:

> But I find it interesting you don't want to hear other people's music. So you and I are paired, you want to listen to, I believe you said earlier, rap, and I want to hear opera. So what do we do? And if the answer is there'll be no music, then why force the issue in the first place?

Because it's not forcing anything. Humans interactions are much more positive if we communicate openly and politely. As I said, I don't listen if I'm with someone I don't know or with someone I know would prefer not. On the other other side, If I don't know you and YOU want to PLAY music I have no problem telling you I don't want to hear a certain genre. I will also tell you if I believe it's loud enough to disturb others. It's really not that hard.

@"North Butte" Can't say I've ever heard someone have music on so loud it could be disturbing from 100 yards. To do so it would literally have to be blaring.

> @"North Butte" Can't say I've ever heard someone have music on so loud it could be disturbing from 100 yards. To do so it would literally have to be blaring.

I have and happened to be playing with 2 of the courses starters that day. This is a public course that will actively police the course for slow play and tell a group they have to skip a hole if they need to be warned a second time. The starters barely blinked an eye about the loud music. I gave the group a 'turn it down' hand gesture and they complied.

I play at a pretty quiet course, especially on weekday evenings when I tend to play solo rounds. I mean I can (barely) hear leaf blowers in the adjacent housing development even when I'm several hundred yards away. So yeah, I can hear a lot of the music people play in carts from quite a distance, although it would rare to hear it clearly from 100 yards or more (it's a private club that, up until the past 2-3 years, had a very big social norm AGAINST any music on the course).

But if I hear it and can identify whatever (usually abysmal) song or genre of music it is, it's annoying. Moreso than continuous more or less white noise like distant highway traffic or a leaf blower. I'm constantly hearing it from 30, 40, 50 yards away on adjacent holes. But yeah, fairly rarely from 100 yards.

Reading through this topic it seems there's a variance in what someone considers too loud. IMO the best solution or compromise would be a sign and local rule saying music volume must be so you can not hear it from your cart on the tee / green, since that where everyone is together. This way those who want to hear music will hear it and those who don't won't hear it.

> @Warrior42111 said:

> Reading through this topic it seems there's a variance in what someone considers too loud. IMO the best solution or compromise would be a sign and local rule saying music volume must be so you can not hear it from your cart on the tee / green, since that where everyone is together. This way those who want to hear music will hear it and those who don't won't hear it.

i have friends who don't use hearing aids but should. their quiet is not a compromise for people who haven't suffered hearing loss. :D

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @Warrior42111 said:

> > Reading through this topic it seems there's a variance in what someone considers too loud. IMO the best solution or compromise would be a sign and local rule saying music volume must be so you can not hear it from your cart on the tee / green, since that where everyone is together. This way those who want to hear music will hear it and those who don't won't hear it.

>

> i have friends who don't use hearing aids but should. their quiet is not a compromise for people who haven't suffered hearing loss. :D

Unlike my stupid eyes, my hearing is nearly as good in late middle age as it was when I was a kid. I can hear stuff that the guys my age I play golf with swear I'm making up. Including distant "tunes" from someone's golf carts two fairways over.

> @hoselpalooza said:

> > @Warrior42111 said:

> > Reading through this topic it seems there's a variance in what someone considers too loud. IMO the best solution or compromise would be a sign and local rule saying music volume must be so you can not hear it from your cart on the tee / green, since that where everyone is together. This way those who want to hear music will hear it and those who don't won't hear it.

>

> i have friends who don't use hearing aids but should. their quiet is not a compromise for people who haven't suffered hearing loss. :D

I don't think any of us hear like to admit when some part of us starts to "go" :smiley:

> @ibradley said:

> > @hoselpalooza said:

> > > @ibradley said:

> > > ...in order to attract new golfers we need to allow music.

> >

> > no.

> >

> >

> I play at a private club and I notice that almost all of the guys age 25 and up now play music. I am not sure golf can afford to turn off potential players.

I play at a private club and hear music about once out of 25 rounds.

And yes, golf can afford to turn off potential players.

> @"Colin L" said:

> Another astonishing insight into golf in the United States. 5 pages of discussion of a practice I've never heard of over here. Playing music on a golf course whether loudly or softly is unthinkable. I can imagine the reaction at my own club (which is by no means a stuffy traditionalist place) if someone was going around the course blasting out music. It would be bad enough if you forgot to turn your phone off and it regaled your fellow members with your favourite ringtone mid-round!

Give it time. It will get there.

> @Mikey5e said:

> I was paired up with a golfer who had some sort of music player. He kept the level somewhat tolerable, but was playing rock music. Not my 1st pick, but his. Playing music is a selfish thing, being what the player likes, not necessarily what you want.

That's really the bottom line. Selfish people playing their music without regard for others.

I recently got paired with a golfer who asked on the first tee "do you mind if I play music"? My answer was "not if I can't hear it". He turned it way way down.

There's never been a person who does this that doesn't have absolute garbage taste in music.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @"Carl Spackler3" said:

> My Dad 80 says it’s a problem at his club, so the Pro says the members play the music as low as possible to still hear it, so he owns borrows my sons Bluetooth speakers and blasts bagpipe music all over the course, saying that it is as low as possible for him to hear it( not lying) . They are revisiting the issue

Shake your dads hand for me.

Had it happen yesterday in our first round of club champ weekend. First group out has the eagles “ take it easy” on #6 tee box and I’m putting on #3 green. ( roughly 200 yards separating us ) I can sing along. And I’d bet money they thought it was at a level that nobody else could hear it. People have no idea how well sound travels.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @ibradley said:

> > > @hoselpalooza said:

> > > > @ibradley said:

> > > > ...in order to attract new golfers we need to allow music.

> > >

> > > no.

> > >

> > >

> > I play at a private club and I notice that almost all of the guys age 25 and up now play music. I am not sure golf can afford to turn off potential players.

>

> I play at a private club and hear music about once out of 25 rounds.

>

> And yes, golf can afford to turn off potential players.

I think that golf course operators are more in tune with their local marketplace than you are. If they are allowing, and in some cases encouraging music they likely have the data to support it.

In my experience in the Charlotte area playing my own course as well as 6 others regularly: once you are paid and have teed off no one cares what happens, pace, music , crowding, nothing, Greens fee is all that matters

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

You guys are all uptight, so you hear something for a few seconds on one hole maybe two. Is it really that earth shattering? Ok, it’s selfish this or that but truly a first world problem. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

> @"Big Ben" said:

> You guys are all uptight, so you hear something for a few seconds on one hole maybe two. Is it really that earth shattering? Ok, it’s selfish this or that but truly a first world problem. BB

We're not complaining about "a few seconds on one hole".

> @ibradley said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @ibradley said:

> > > > @hoselpalooza said:

> > > > > @ibradley said:

> > > > > ...in order to attract new golfers we need to allow music.

> > > >

> > > > no.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > I play at a private club and I notice that almost all of the guys age 25 and up now play music. I am not sure golf can afford to turn off potential players.

> >

> > I play at a private club and hear music about once out of 25 rounds.

> >

> > And yes, golf can afford to turn off potential players.

>

> I think that golf course operators are more in tune with their local marketplace than you are. If they are allowing, and in some cases encouraging music they likely have the data to support it.

>

Yes, they are more in tune with their local market than me.

No, there is very little chance that they have any data at all.

BTW, allowing music is just as likely to cost them business as to gain business.

> @"Big Ben" said:

> You guys are all uptight, so you hear something for a few seconds on one hole maybe two. Is it really that earth shattering? Ok, it’s selfish this or that but truly a first world problem. BB

It's not just for a few seconds. But if it were, why can't you turn it off for a few seconds?

And yes, it is a first world problem.

My friend just played a course in LA where the course-provided carts have streaming radio stations built into the carts (controlled by the built-in touch screen). When it’s so explicitly encouraged by the course, is it now inappropriate to tell someone to turn off their music?! :#

> @TheInfidel said:

> No one in the UK does this, I mean not a single person. Unless you're a total bum on a municipal course long after the ranger has gone home.

> Looks like a real opinion splitter, but since alot of my rounds are competitive I've never seen it over here, not in Scotland anyway. Clubs would freak out.

You’re safe so long as you don’t have carts (buggies) except for those with medical necessity. While I find audible music on the course annoying, it seems that the people playing it are those who are most capable of walking. No carts = no music. No drunks, either.