2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Music on the course - I'm turning against it after supporting it

> @howellhandmade said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > No one in the UK does this, I mean not a single person. Unless you're a total bum on a municipal course long after the ranger has gone home.

> > Looks like a real opinion splitter, but since alot of my rounds are competitive I've never seen it over here, not in Scotland anyway. Clubs would freak out.

>

> You’re safe so long as you don’t have carts (buggies) except for those with medical necessity. While I find audible music on the course annoying, it seems that the people playing it are those who are most capable of walking. No carts = no music. No drunks, either.

>

Oh but I have friends who have portable speakers clipped either to their belt or carry bag. (And, btw, with the volume quite soft.)

> @aenemated said:

> There's never been a person

> @lchang said:

> > @howellhandmade said:

> > > @TheInfidel said:

> > > No one in the UK does this, I mean not a single person. Unless you're a total bum on a municipal course long after the ranger has gone home.

> > > Looks like a real opinion splitter, but since alot of my rounds are competitive I've never seen it over here, not in Scotland anyway. Clubs would freak out.

> >

> > You’re safe so long as you don’t have carts (buggies) except for those with medical necessity. While I find audible music on the course annoying, it seems that the people playing it are those who are most capable of walking. No carts = no music. No drunks, either.

> >

>

> Oh but I have friends who have portable speakers clipped either to their belt or carry bag. (And, btw, with the volume quite soft.)

Yup! I almost exclusively walk using a push cart and my speaker is mounted on the handle. It can be heard nicely at arms length and attenuates quickly as I walk away.

We had a nice example this morning at my club. When I was making the turn, walked by the practice putting green on the way from 9th green to 10th tee. A guy had his cart parked over by the clubhouse (about 75 feet from the practice green) and was playing music in the cart turned up so he could hear it while practicing putting. What a lovely consideration for your fellow members that shows.

I will play music when I’m with a group of friends. The volume is always low. If I play with strangers like today I won’t ever ask if it’s ok I simply don’t do it. I just can’t see the problem if I’m not effecting your game. I have only seen one maybe two occasions a group listening to music loud enough for me to hear it. If a group is blaring tunes then that’s a different monster. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

> @"Big Ben" said:

> I will play music when I’m with a group of friends. The volume is always low. If I play with strangers like today I won’t ever ask if it’s ok I simply don’t do it. I just can’t see the problem if I’m not effecting your game. I have only seen one maybe two occasions a group listening to music loud enough for me to hear it. If a group is blaring tunes then that’s a different monster. BB

You may consider it low, but do other golfers?

Best I've seen was a group teeing off first hole with Flight of the Valkryies playing - all four teed off -as they drove down the fairway all I could think of was Apocalypse Now! It was pretty enjoyable. I don't complain about the music if it's constant it becomes a white noise to me. What bothers me is start and stop (random) talking during play. I guess to each his own cross to bear. LOL!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

> @sailfishchris said:

> Best I've seen was a group teeing off first hole with Flight of the Valkryies playing - all four teed off -as they drove down the fairway all I could think of was Apocalypse Now! It was pretty enjoyable. I don't complain about the music if it's constant it becomes a white noise to me. What bothers me is start and stop (random) talking during play. I guess to each his own cross to bear. LOL!

Ride of the Valkyries. I would support that, that kind of taste/humor gets a pass.

> @lchang said:

> My friend just played a course in LA where the course-provided carts have streaming radio stations built into the carts (controlled by the built-in touch screen). When it’s so explicitly encouraged by the course, is it now inappropriate to tell someone to turn off their music?! :#

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the volume was limited.

X________________________________ Sign Here

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @"Big Ben" said:

> > I will play music when I’m with a group of friends. The volume is always low. If I play with strangers like today I won’t ever ask if it’s ok I simply don’t do it. I just can’t see the problem if I’m not effecting your game. I have only seen one maybe two occasions a group listening to music loud enough for me to hear it. If a group is blaring tunes then that’s a different monster. BB

>

> You may consider it low, but do other golfers?

I certainly hope so because I can’t hear it 15ft from my cart. I’m gonna take my glove and ball and go home now. Enjoy your day!

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @"Big Ben" said:

> > I will play music when I’m with a group of friends. The volume is always low. If I play with strangers like today I won’t ever ask if it’s ok I simply don’t do it. I just can’t see the problem if I’m not effecting your game. I have only seen one maybe two occasions a group listening to music loud enough for me to hear it. If a group is blaring tunes then that’s a different monster. BB

>

> You may consider it low, but do other golfers?

Most can judge the appropriate There's a whole lot out more out there listening that you wouldn't hear unless you got right up to them.

> @lchang said:

> My friend just played a course in LA where the course-provided carts have streaming radio stations built into the carts (controlled by the built-in touch screen). When it’s so explicitly encouraged by the course, is it now inappropriate to tell someone to turn off their music?! :#

If a course has speakers in the carts I just wouldn't play there.

> @lchang said:

But is it also inappropriate to ask them to turn it down?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @larrybud said:

> Music on the course is the worst thing to happen to the game in the last 20 years, bar none.

> @larrybud said:

> Music on the course is the worst thing to happen to the game in the last 20 years, bar none.

Couldn’t agree more. I was fortunate to play Sebonack in the Hamptons last summer and walking down the fairway with some guys loud music took away from that incredible experience.

Unfortunately we live in a society where we have been programmed to constantly seek outside influences and it takes away from being in the moment.

> @lchang said:

What’s next DirectTV ? I would never play there

> @Janice_rossi said:

> > @lchang said:

> > My friend just played a course in LA where the course-provided carts have streaming radio stations built into the carts (controlled by the built-in touch screen). When it’s so explicitly encouraged by the course, is it now inappropriate to tell someone to turn off their music?! :#

>

> What’s next DirectTV ? I would never play there

I recall when they first introduced those GPS displays on carts you had to sit through ads. Creepy.

I plan on playing some 70’s Scenario tomorrow morning at 8:04am, oh the horror! This society is so uptight. Divorce rate what 50%? When I’m on the course you could streak and I would laugh. Golf good! Be happy good!

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @chippa13 said:

> > > The second I don't drift thru some smoker's jet wash is when I'll turn off my reasonable level music.

> >

> > I can't remember the last time I walked through smoker's 'jet wash'? Ridiculous analogy.

>

> I love smokers jet wash.

You know, I rather enjoy it too.

> @chippa13 said:

> Ahhh, the purposeful misinterpretation, the comedy gold of internet forums.

Not comedy, utilizing the converse for illustration. What you meant is that you’ll continue to play music on the course at a volume level that seems reasonable to you, and will feel justified in doing so regardless of any annoyance you might cause to other players because you have occasionally been annoyed by the smell of tobacco smoke on the course. If others are sensitive to music, you’re sensitive to smoke. Nobody is making the smokers stop, so nobody should make you stop. Sort of the Steve Martin Mind if I smoke/Mind if I fart argument.

Personally, I find music more annoying (and far less directional) than cigarette or cigar smoke, but to each their own.

• Like 1

> @chippa13 said:

> Does slightly overhearing music put one into an uncontrollable coughing fit?

> @chippa13 said:

What percentage of the players smoke? And what percentage of the players do you get close enough to for the smoke to bother you?

Every player you get near can be bothered by your tunes but that okay because smoke bothers you.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @chippa13 said:

Does slightly overhearing 2 of your playing partners talking from 10 feet or so away (in a low voice of course) bother you ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X