2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Haley Moore

20 hours ago, leezer99 said:

If you finished 30th in 25 events on the PGA Tour you would lose your card. 

30th in 35 events is around 1 million in earnings.  Not so sure a PGA tour player will lose their card earning a cool million.

I do see your point most guys make their money over 5-6 events a year

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Perhaps by coincidence, 1MM in earnings intersects almost exactly with the 125th spot on the moneylist (it is actually between 126 and 127).

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.109.y2022.html

So it would be a sweat to keep your card if you only earned 1MM! I imagine that number will shift in the coming years as the Tour ramps up the purse sizes.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

30th in 35 events is around 1 million in earnings.  Not so sure a PGA tour player will lose their card earning a cool million.

I do see your point most guys make their money over 5-6 events a year

Top 125 in earnings keep their card.

2022 Earnings:

image.png.0deca8fdd320dd78d7fd0c00ff58a3e5.png

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:20 AM, heavy_hitter said:

I think this shows why most women opt to a career outside of golf.  My daughter has made more money in one year working for a company in the Big 3 than Haley has her past 3 years playing golf combined.

I think there is little hope for a junior girl to earn a living in golf.  I would guess and have no scientific proof that most Amateur and Colleges women golfers are living off their parents dime.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

1 hour ago, killer21 said:

I think there is little hope for a junior girl to earn a living in golf.  I would guess and have no scientific proof that most Amateur and Colleges women golfers are living off their parents dime.  

Their are lots of way to earn money in Golf beyond the LPGA.  The golf industry as a whole employed a lot people when you consider all the pro’s, instructors and reps.

I met a lot women doing ok teaching and being a rep. Women teachers that can play are in demand teaching other women and sometimes make a lot more then men.

Making money from playing tournaments is tough if you can’t score low enough to earn decent money and doesn’t matter gender the percentage is very small to earn enough.

5 hours ago, killer21 said:

Friend of ours has a girl in the top 150 on JGS with an AJGA win and other high finishes that works with DD. He told them that unless you're top 25 on the LPGA you aren't really making much money.

I guess that's why you have to play for the love of competition and hopefully marry a C-suite executive.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:27 PM, leezer99 said:

Friend of ours has a girl in the top 150 on JGS with an AJGA win and other high finishes that works with DD. He told them that unless you're top 25 on the LPGA you aren't really making much money.

I guess that's why you have to play for the love of competition and hopefully marry a C-suite executive.

DD has his own ideas of what “really making much money” entails. We all agree there isn’t as much money in womens golf as mens but it’s all relative. 40th on the 2022 ML earned  750k. 50th earned 615k. 75th was 300k. Top 100 all made over 170k. It may not be generational wealth but it’s far from chump change. It’s not like these ladies need to have day jobs or careers outside of golf once they retire. 

(These numbers are rounded to the nearest 10k. Remember, this is before any sort of endorsement deal, sponsorship, speaking engagement earnings, etc.  Yes, I know professional athletes have coaching and travel cost that most people with traditional jobs do not.” 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:09 PM, StudentGolfer4 said:

DD has his own ideas of what “really making much money” entails. We all agree there isn’t as much money in womens golf as mens but it’s all relative. 40th on the 2022 ML earned  750k. 50th earned 615k. 75th was 300k. Top 100 all made over 170k. It may not be generational wealth but it’s far from chump change. It’s not like these ladies need to have day jobs or careers outside of golf once they retire. 

(These numbers are rounded to the nearest 10k. Remember, this is before any sort of endorsement deal, sponsorship, speaking engagement earnings, etc.  Yes, I know professional athletes have coaching and travel cost that most people with traditional jobs do not.” 

But basically outside the top 100 these girls are losing money on their job, and need to have the other things to break even.  Don't forget as well a lot of club companies aren't giving them their equipment, and also, a women's endorsement deal, unless there is a company looking to score social points and not caring about the returns, is not paying that much.

Let's also not forget that in the large majority of cases, these women are done by about 25 in terms of being anything close to a top player.  When you stop being a top player, all those other sources of income dry up quickly.  There's also the fact that even though their status is protected, if they decide to start having kids, that is a good chunk of their prime earning years affected(not a comment on having kids, just a fact.)  And oh, yeah, how long will they be making that kind of money?  Not very long.

I think you are overestimating how much money is netted at these levels.  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:09 PM, StudentGolfer4 said:

75th isn't even breaking even for the year.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

People don't understand the costs to compete at the professional level is a lot money.  Anyone making under $400-500K is more then likely bleeding money playing.

There are sponsorships out there but unless your face is on TV every week. Do you really think large companies would waste their advertising budget on a. golfer that might get 5 minutes a year airtime with low ratings. 

The LPGA is not much different then guys on the Korn Ferry tour. I have a met a lot guys on Korn ferry tour and they all talk about how hard it is to stay on that.    Even guys on the PGA bleed a lot money but at least if they have a tour card should be able to at least cover costs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

I’m guessing we don’t because it would require someone to post private finances, but I would love to see the numbers on this if there are any.

@golfortennis I think you may be overstating the average age of the lpga tour player that has and is keeping their card when you say most are done by 25. Last year 2 of the top 10 on the money list we’re younger than 25.

Randomly selected places 50-60 on last years money list. 3 of the 11 were younger than 25. There’s no denying the average age is getting younger though. I just don’t think it’s quite as young as you’re saying. It’s also possible if looked a different 20 places  on the ML you would get a different story but Places 1-10 and 50-60 are occupied by 5 of 21 girls under the age of 25. 

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

People don't understand the costs to compete at the professional level is a lot money.  Anyone making under $400-500K is more then likely bleeding money playing.

There are sponsorships out there but unless your face is on TV every week. Do you really think large companies would waste their advertising budget on a. golfer that might get 5 minutes a year airtime with low ratings. 

The LPGA is not much different then guys on the Korn Ferry tour. I have a met a lot guys on Korn ferry tour and they all talk about how hard it is to stay on that.    Even guys on the PGA bleed a lot money but at least if they have a tour card should be able to at least cover costs.

1 minute ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I’m guessing we don’t because it would require someone to post private finances, but I would love to see the numbers on this if there are any.

@golfortennis I think you may be overstating the average age of the lpga tour player that has and is keeping their card when you say most are done by 25. Last year 2 of the top 10 on the money list we’re younger than 25.

Randomly selected places 50-60 on last years money list. 3 of the 11 were younger than 25. There’s no denying the average age is getting younger though. I just don’t think it’s quite as young as you’re saying. It’s also possible if looked a different 20 places  on the ML you would get a different story but Places 1-10 and 50-60 are occupied by 5 of 21 girls under the age of 25. 

It has been stated by Bryson and others that the break even point for PGA is just over 400K.  The expenses for the women are more right off the bat because they have to pay a tournament entry fee where the men do not.  Coach/Trainer/Mental Coach/Caddy/Air Fare/Hotels all add up real quick. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

The average age of the LPGA bounces around all over the place but  by 25 most of them figure out there is more money and less stress doing something else.  When the economy is good there are sponsers who actually help these women stay on tour and they stay longer. When the economy tanks a large percentage leave the LPGA and bunch of younger girls come in.  You are seeing a huge turnover right now so the age drops again because a lot junior  golf parents are bad at math and think they need to jump the first chance to turn pro.

It pretty well documented that a large chunk of LPGA women are not even covering their expenses.  For women playing in college is probably even more important then men.   It buys them some time to work their game and build some relationships. because they have a such a short time to profit on tour.

Last thing you want be is a Lucy Li who peaked at 12 and had to wait for a bunch LPGA players to washout to get a tour card.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Maybe 25 was hyperbolic.  How many in the top 20 were over 30?  Although it should also be noted that 3 of them were right on 25, and Minjee Lee was 26.  Moreso than men(tennis is similar even though the money is better), it's a young women's game.

And I believe more than a few players have posted round numbers as to their expenses, just have to look for it.

Edited by golfortennis
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:29 AM, heavy_hitter said:

It has been stated by Bryson and others that the break even point for PGA is just over 400K.  The expenses for the women are more right off the bat because they have to pay a tournament entry fee where the men do not.  Coach/Trainer/Mental Coach/Caddy/Air Fare/Hotels all add up real quick. 

This is true.  The only adjustment I'd make is that from what I've heard the Ladies spend less on the coaches, trainers, mental coaches and other similar type expenses.  $250k to $350k would probably be a reasonable estimate for a player with a semi-set schedule.  The ones chasing qualifiers could be totally different.

Off course revenue is significantly lower.  My friend who was an agent had two clients who were ranked about the same.  The LPGA player was happy to get $15k for a full day outing.  The PGA player turned down $50k to have dinner with four executives. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:54 AM, tiger1873 said:

Last thing you want be is a Lucy Li who peaked at 12 and had to wait for a bunch LPGA players to washout to get a tour card.

Every time I think you make a decent point, you say something ridiculous and ruin it. The girl just turned 20 a few months ago...and you are suggesting she couldn't make the LPGA until older players washed out? Every sport has turnover annually, LPGA no different. She played two years on Epson tour as a teenager and has already made it to LPGA with full status after playing really well on Epson, and in the LPGA events she played in. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:54 AM, tiger1873 said:

When the economy tanks a large percentage leave the LPGA and bunch of younger girls come in.  You are seeing a huge turnover right now so the age drops again because a lot junior  golf parents are bad at math and think they need to jump the first chance to turn pro.

This also is such a ridiculous statement. "Huge" turnover? Its the same 50 spots every year turning over on both the mens and women tours. Athletes age out in literally every sport, every year, in every league on earth. This is not unique or more prevalent in the LPGA than anywhere else. NBA, NFL, MLB...its called the draft and ints an influx annually of young talent that replaces older veterans. In golf it's called a meritocratic relegation...play well move up the tours, play poorly you move down.

All of your statements are so uninformed and so clouded by ignorance and blatant sexism.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bizzle80 said:

Every time I think you make a decent point, you say something ridiculous and ruin it. The girl just turned 20 a few months ago...and you are suggesting she couldn't make the LPGA until older players washed out? Every sport has turnover annually, LPGA no different. She played two years on Epson tour as a teenager and has already made it to LPGA with full status after playing really well on Epson, and in the LPGA events she played in. 

This also is such a ridiculous statement. "Huge" turnover? Its the same 50 spots every year turning over on both the mens and women tours. Athletes age out in literally every sport, every year, in every league on earth. This is not unique or more prevalent in the LPGA than anywhere else. NBA, NFL, MLB...its called the draft and ints an influx annually of young talent that replaces older veterans. In golf it's called a meritocratic relegation...play well move up the tours, play poorly you move down.

All of your statements are so uninformed and so clouded by ignorance and blatant sexism.

Lucy  Li has not made much money after having what was an amazing junior  career.

she should have went to college because she hasn’t made enough money to cover her expenses for the last few years. she easily burned though a few hundred grand to get that card after turning pro. She will burn another 300-400k this year. After a while that adds.  Good chance she took on investors who are looking to get paid from future winnings based on her junior career.

Stacy Lewis is a prime example of someone who used college to help her.  LPGA needs more women like her on tour as an example.  Her sponsor’s still take care of her too.

The LPGA women get hurt more by economic downturns then men. It is not sexist to say that because it is a fact.  If you cut your advertising budget the women are the first to get  cut.

Edited by tiger1873

50 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

she should have went to college because she hasn’t made enough money to cover her expenses for the last few years. she easily burned though a few hundred grand to get that card after turning pro. She will burn another 300-400k this year. After a while that adds.  Good chance she took on investors who are looking to get paid from future winnings based on her junior career.

If her goal was to turn pro, and you have that ability as a 18yo, why would you waste 4 years of peak performance in an already limited career lifespan? how do you know she hasn't covered her expenses? is she making a boatload of money? no, but she's following her goals and her dreams. She made the LPGA at 20 for F's sake.

If LPGA players make so little ands she's making such bad choices, why would all these imaginary 'investors' stake her? burning the 300-400k year on the Epson tour? Stop pulling numbers out of your rear and if you do those are ludicrous figures. You know most Epson and LPGA players generally stay with local club families...not 5 star resorts right? They fly Spirit air to small markets, not Netjets to NY.

My references to sexism is in your statements about women like Li only making the tour because of 'turnover.' Just a stupid comment and only made because its women. Same issue for veterans in literally every sport on the planet. Never mind it is a statement with zero research or reality, but you wouldn't say the same thing about PGA rookies only getting their cards because of 'turnover.'

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

If her goal was to turn pro, and you have that ability as a 18yo, why would you waste 4 years of peak performance in an already limited career lifespan? how do you know she hasn't covered her expenses? is she making a boatload of money? no, but she's following her goals and her dreams. She made the LPGA at 20 for F's sake.

If LPGA players make so little ands she's making such bad choices, why would all these imaginary 'investors' stake her? burning the 300-400k year on the Epson tour? Stop pulling numbers out of your rear and if you do those are ludicrous figures. You know most Epson and LPGA players generally stay with local club families...not 5 star resorts right? They fly Spirit air to small markets, not Netjets to NY.

My references to sexism is in your statements about women like Li only making the tour because of 'turnover.' Just a stupid comment and only made because its women. Same issue for veterans in literally every sport on the planet. Never mind it is a statement with zero research or reality, but you wouldn't say the same thing about PGA rookies only getting their cards because of 'turnover.'

So do you expect her have an extra million lying around to play golf?????  Because that what it takes to play full time professional golf for 4 -5 years. Maybe that is an investment she has is willing to take on herself.  But most can't afford to spend that kind of money.

It costs a lot money to play at the pro level for both men and women.  There is not enough to break even playing on the Epson tour and everyone knows that.  Caddies, lesson and just plain entering the tournaments costs money for them.  If you win you can keep going. 

The PGA players who make the cut cover expenses.  So if you make the cut you can keep play. With the LPGA it simply is not the case and is a huge problem that only got worse since they increased costs by going international with more tournaments.

Maybe you need to read this article to understand that lots of players do not break even on tour.

https://www.golfwrx.com/674158/made-the-cut-last-week-and-didnt-break-even-danielle-kang-on-financial-realities-of-life-on-lpga-tour/

Something I should add is Haley Moore is far better off then Lucy Li by going pro after college.  She may not be making money either but I suspect she has a deeper pool of support and almost certainly will make a lot money if she has to leave the tour. 

People only see the good side of pro golf.  No one sees or wants to admit that Both Men and Women who turn pro often struggle to make even minimum wage. The vast majority of these are players for one reason or another who are never  brutally honest with their scores and hope they get a hot streak.

Before anyone goes pro they should go out to a Monday Qualifier and get reality handed to them.

Edited by tiger1873

14 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

Pro Tip - Put the dude on Ignore.  I don't even see his posts unless his posts show up in others' quotes.  It will make this site much more enjoyable for you.  Trust me/several of us on this one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Its unfair and flat out wrong to say so and so player is struggling on the LPGA tour or other unless you have first hand knowledge of their personal/family finances, which I'd bet everything I own that you don't.   My son had a chance to play in an Epson tour Pro-Am and you can tell pretty quickly that some have money (from family or endorsements) and others are scraping by.  It's very evident in their demeanor, the equipment they have, and if there is a team present.   Regardless, they are all trying to live their dream which I respect.  

My son was paired with Gabby and I know for certain she will be fine.  Not only with finances, but she is very good.  This was the first time I've really experienced women professional golf up close.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kekoa said:

Its unfair and flat out wrong to say so and so player is struggling on the LPGA tour or other unless you have first hand knowledge of their personal/family finances, which I'd bet everything I own that you don't.   My son had a chance to play in an Epson tour Pro-Am and you can tell pretty quickly that some have money (from family or endorsements) and others are scraping by.  It's very evident in their demeanor, the equipment they have, and if there is a team present.   Regardless, they are all trying to live their dream which I respect.  

My son was paired with Gabby and I know for certain she will be fine.  Not only with finances, but she is very good.  This was the first time I've really experienced women professional golf up close.

Trust me she doesn't have millions to blow on golf.  Not many do either. Her odds also go down every year too.  She should have won a few million by now like Lexi.   If a player wins and makes a name for themself like Lexi did early on the can play a decade or more and never worry about money.

You simply need to have a small fortune to even think about going on tour. People have a hard time grasping that.  Look at how much it costs to attend an AJGA tournament and add 2 to 3 times the costs of that and add 20-30 events a year.   It a number most people can't even imagine.

Just like any startup business new pro's winnings go back into their business. I have no clue why some of you don't understand that.

9 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Trust me she doesn't have millions to blow on golf.  Not many do either. Her odds also go down every year too.  She should have won a few million by now like Lexi.   If a player wins and makes a name for themself like Lexi did early on the can play a decade or more and never worry about money.

You simply need to have a small fortune to even think about going on tour. People have a hard time grasping that.  Look at how much it costs to attend an AJGA tournament and add 2 to 3 times the costs of that and add 20-30 events a year.   It a number most people can't even imagine.

Just like any startup business new pro's winnings go back into their business. I have no clue why some of you don't understand that.

And you know that how?  We are referring to Gabby right?  Like I said, she will be fine and I'd be surprised if she doesn't get her LPGA card soon.  Look, nobody is arguing that its a huge financial struggle for many on the pro circuit, let alone on the lower tier tours where they make very little even for a win.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kekoa said:

And you know that how?  We are referring to Gabby right?  Like I said, she will be fine and I'd be surprised if she doesn't get her LPGA card soon.  Look, nobody is arguing that its a huge financial struggle for many on the pro circuit, let alone on the lower tier tours where they make very little even for a win.  

Her chances are low based on history and what I been told.  Unless she has completely rebuilt her game it's not there.

@tiger1873 her chances are low. Duh! Everyone’s chances are low! Ever looked into the odds of a D1 scholarship in womens golf? They’re low. Ever looked into the chances of playing on the epson tour? They’re low. Ever looked at the chances of someone earning their lpga tour card? They’re low! 

If you have some inside information by all means share it, but it seems like you’re just a self proclaimed expert regarding this and her situation. 

Earlier didn’t you say that lpga golfers need to make all the money they can before 25 or something along those lines? Then you’re saying you know she would have been better off going to college first? I would love to know how you know that. And how those two contradictory statements are both true. 

• Like 2

Some of these numbers are obscene.  If you’re spending over $200k a year playing on tour it’s because you’re spending frivolously.  Only way Kang lost money on the week making $6k is if she flew private.   Hotel and caddy expenses are $2500 (or less) a week if you’re not staying at 5 star places. Guys/gals who are thrifty can play 25 events for about $80k a year on Korn Ferry Tour and LPGA Tour would be similar.  PGA Tour would be similar, caddies are paid more base per event but they get courtesy cars every week for free. The difference is about a wash. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

@tiger1873 her chances are low. Duh! Everyone’s chances are low! Ever looked into the odds of a D1 scholarship in womens golf? They’re low. Ever looked into the chances of playing on the epson tour? They’re low. Ever looked at the chances of someone earning their lpga tour card? They’re low! 

If you have some inside information by all means share it, but it seems like you’re just a self proclaimed expert regarding this and her situation. 

Earlier didn’t you say that lpga golfers need to make all the money they can before 25 or something along those lines? Then you’re saying you know she would have been better off going to college first? I would love to know how you know that. And how those two contradictory statements are both true. 

Most these girls will not score low enough to make any money on the LPGA tour.  However as they get older some these girls might actually get low enough to make money.

My issue I see is a lot these so called junior wonders think there ready at 17 or even 18 to make it and they simply are not there yet.  College buys them time to develop.  

If you actually made a name for yourself like Lexi Thompson or Brooke Henderson you will have no problem playing well into their 30's. However this is the exception in women's golf.

If you are an unknown player never won a tournament saying your going to keep at once your older then 25 is not smart because their giving up a lot income they could make doing something else. Anyone who says different either makes no money or is a bit delusional.

5 minutes ago, iteachgolf said:

Some of these numbers are obscene.  If you’re spending over $200k a year playing on tour it’s because you’re spending frivolously.  Only way Kang lost money on the week making $6k is if she flew private.   Hotel and caddy expenses are $2500 (or less) a week if you’re not staying at 5 star places. Guys/gals who are thrifty can play 25 events for about $80k a year on Korn Ferry Tour and LPGA Tour would be similar.  PGA Tour would be similar, caddies are paid more base per event but they get courtesy cars every week for free. The difference is about a wash. 

This if not true at all.  If your doing a full LPGA tour schedule your traveling internationally which costs a lot more.  Good chance that there not traveling alone they have to pay for their caddies travel or have a family member travel with them for emotional support. Sure you can hire a caddie locally but if your looking to make money you probably should have your own trusted caddie.

They also have to pay accountant legal fees playing all over the place. Most states and country will tax them on their earnings and they have to file taxes in every state and country they play.   When you turn pro your running a business on the road not just playing golf.