2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open

MattyO1984

> @MountainGoat said:

> July has really become Euro-sports month. Women's World Cup final, Tour de France, Wimbledon, Irish Open, Scottish Open, Open Championship. My morning TV schedule is pretty full.

I should have added Formula 1 to the list, as well. The Austrian GP was last week; the UK GP is next Sunday; and the German GP is at the end of the month.

> @M4TT said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @M4TT said:

> > > Tour de France? lol, road bikers should be BANNED from the roads AND television.

> >

> > Your attitude about bikers is wrong in so many ways.

>

> No it's not. I am a biker too, I just do it in the mountains not on the road where there are automobiles.

I am a road biker. I try to do it out in the country on roads with nice shoulders. But if not, I stay within inches of the road side, and car traffic seems to adjust to my presence by giving me a bit of lee way. Bicycling is great, even if there are no mountains around.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Fascinating stuff from Tom Doak here.

Edit: I should clarify that he's been having a wide ranging chat with the Sky Sports announcers for the last 15 minutes or so. No idea if it's part of the US feed. Among many interesting tidbits is he mentioned is that he doesn't do A-B-C 1 through 18 routings. He prefers instead to work on individual chunks of the property--a two hole chunk here, a three hole chunk there--depending on the property's features, then knit them all together.

> @jmck said:

> Fascinating stuff from Tom Doak here.

>

> Edit: I should clarify that he's been having a wide ranging chat with the Sky Sports announcers for the last 15 minutes or so. No idea if it's part of the US feed. ** Among many interesting tidbits is he mentioned is that he doesn't do A-B-C 1 through 18 routings.** He prefers instead to work on individual chunks of the property--a two hole chunk here, a three hole chunk there--depending on the property's features, then knit them all together.

Clients can rarely pick from a set of choices and usually try to combine those options. Easiest solution don't give them a choice. Not always possible for everyone in every industry to do that though, would be nice.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Just skimmed thru the leaderboard

I cannot believe how few players from the USA are in the field

You'd think a week in advance for time zone and links would be a good thing

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> Just skimmed thru the leaderboard

> I cannot believe how few players from the USA are in the field

> You'd think a week in advance for time zone and links would be a good thing

The most difficult thing for me is crossing any ocean and then playing Golf before the jet lag has worn off. Sadly that's at least two three days. I'd pass on the Espy's and get myself acclimated to play in one of the Majors that are easy(er) to win....

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @jmck said:

> > Fascinating stuff from Tom Doak here.

> >

> > Edit: I should clarify that he's been having a wide ranging chat with the Sky Sports announcers for the last 15 minutes or so. No idea if it's part of the US feed. ** Among many interesting tidbits is he mentioned is that he doesn't do A-B-C 1 through 18 routings.** He prefers instead to work on individual chunks of the property--a two hole chunk here, a three hole chunk there--depending on the property's features, then knit them all together.

>

> Clients can rarely pick from a set of choices and usually try to combine those options. Easiest solution don't give them a choice. Not always possible for everyone in every industry to do that though, would be nice.

Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear, that was definitely his implication. He was saying he feels fortunate enough to be high enough up in the field that clients will let him do routings however he likes, which is unfortunately rare.

> @jmck said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @jmck said:

> > > Fascinating stuff from Tom Doak here.

> > >

> > > Edit: I should clarify that he's been having a wide ranging chat with the Sky Sports announcers for the last 15 minutes or so. No idea if it's part of the US feed. ** Among many interesting tidbits is he mentioned is that he doesn't do A-B-C 1 through 18 routings.** He prefers instead to work on individual chunks of the property--a two hole chunk here, a three hole chunk there--depending on the property's features, then knit them all together.

> >

> > Clients can rarely pick from a set of choices and usually try to combine those options. Easiest solution don't give them a choice. Not always possible for everyone in every industry to do that though, would be nice.

>

> Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear, that was definitely his implication. He was saying he feels fortunate enough to be high enough up in the field that clients will let him do routings however he likes, which is unfortunately rare.

I'm agreeing, I enjoyed his insight it was good.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @jmck said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > @jmck said:

> > > > Fascinating stuff from Tom Doak here.

> > > >

> > > > Edit: I should clarify that he's been having a wide ranging chat with the Sky Sports announcers for the last 15 minutes or so. No idea if it's part of the US feed. ** Among many interesting tidbits is he mentioned is that he doesn't do A-B-C 1 through 18 routings.** He prefers instead to work on individual chunks of the property--a two hole chunk here, a three hole chunk there--depending on the property's features, then knit them all together.

> > >

> > > Clients can rarely pick from a set of choices and usually try to combine those options. Easiest solution don't give them a choice. Not always possible for everyone in every industry to do that though, would be nice.

> >

> > Yeah, sorry if I wasn't clear, that was definitely his implication. He was saying he feels fortunate enough to be high enough up in the field that clients will let him do routings however he likes, which is unfortunately rare.

>

> I'm agreeing, I enjoyed his insight it was good.

Ah, gotcha. Rich Beem is pretty clearly a course architecture dork so it was nice hearing him pick Doak's brain.

> @idrive said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Just skimmed thru the leaderboard

> > I cannot believe how few players from the USA are in the field

> > You'd think a week in advance for time zone and links would be a good thing

>

> The most difficult thing for me is crossing any ocean and then playing Golf before the jet lag has worn off. Sadly that's at least two three days. I'd pass on the Espy's and get myself acclimated to play in one of the Majors that are **easy(er)** to win....

Why do you say that?

> @MilkyButterCuts said:

> > @idrive said:

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > Just skimmed thru the leaderboard

> > > I cannot believe how few players from the USA are in the field

> > > You'd think a week in advance for time zone and links would be a good thing

> >

> > The most difficult thing for me is crossing any ocean and then playing Golf before the jet lag has worn off. Sadly that's at least two three days. **I'd pass on the Espy's and get myself acclimated to play in one of the Majors that are **easy(er)** to win....**

>

> Why do you say that?

Well... I was being a bit sarcastic. That part of my post was directed at Koepka as he has been quoted on several occasions that (for him) a Major is easier to win.

Top pic is a par 3 ... very small area where the flag is, so those are 3 good shots ... next two are 18, as well as the pic of the umbrellas stuck in the ground (guy named Castro) ... pic with the mic is a par 5 ... pic of the player in the fw is Rory ... #4 or something ...

313uiucdqz4l.jpeg

aqj5ntrotfww.jpeg

vst19ea0zj6t.jpeg

u4u590yuvnvx.jpeg

6gofiz45eorb.jpeg

jswz0f386nm1.jpeg

9me5mcaoa0ag.jpeg

2vj5z0a0dhb8.jpeg

• Like 1

> @cardoustie said:

> Just skimmed thru the leaderboard

> I cannot believe how few players from the USA are in the field

> You'd think a week in advance for time zone and links would be a good thing

They need to kick the WGC Memphis to the curb and put the WGC-Europe in this spot. Play it in the British Isles or Valderrama and everyone can show up and get in the right time zone a week early.

Of course, that is a pipe dream because......$$$$$$$$$$$.

I can see why people are skipping this week. Here's the schedule for the top players playing this week.

Scottish Open

British Open

WGC-Memphis

week off

FedEX Cup Playoff #1

FedEX Cup Playoff #2

Tour Championship

> @tiderider said:

> Top pic is a par 3 ... very small area where the flag is, so those are 3 good shots ... next two are 18, as well as the pic of the umbrellas stuck in the ground (guy named Castro) ... pic with the mic is a par 5 ... pic of the player in the fw is Rory ... #4 or something ...

>

So what do you think of the course? I was going to ask if it looks better on the ground than on the TV but I presume you haven't actually seen it on TV.

I've spent the afternoon watching and the best I can say is it looks fine, while last week I was swept away by Lahinch. Maybe that is the problem.

They keep on talking about it being a links and then Wayne Riley, talking about Rory's drive, says I hope it doesn't plug. Plug on a true links, never.

Are you staying in Edinburgh?

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Nothing about it is links ... the turf isn't firm like a links, at all ... guess the bunkers are linkish, but that's about it ... the fairways don't tumble he way a links does ... at least that's my impression ... tonight is the last night of a two week trip ...

> @gvogel said:

> Why wouldn't Martin Laird play in his country's national championship?

He's currently 126th in FedEx Cup and not exempt for The Open.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Matt Wallace's face when he realises the cameras were on him during a fit of peak followed by a club toss.

Friend played with him in the Pro AM yesterday and was full of superlatives about him.

Funny he did a wee interview on course and was saying he thought he was doing well curtailing his frustration!

> @OldTomMorris said:

> Thomas Pieters going well, he's had a poor season and is now outside of the top 100 OWGR.

Sooo much talent, him and Detry.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Matt Wallace's face when he realises the cameras were on him during a fit of peak followed by a club toss.

>

> Friend played with him in the Pro AM yesterday and was full of superlatives about him.

>

> Funny he did a wee interview on course and was saying he thought he was doing well curtailing his frustration!

>

That's nice to hear. You have a couple on camera meltdowns and next thing you know everyone is getting all judgey.....

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Thomas Pieters going well, he's had a poor season and is now outside of the top 100 OWGR.

>

> Sooo much talent, him and Detry.

I really thought Pieters was going to be the next big thing, back about 10 years ago when he was tearing up the NCAA circuit. There's still time for him of course, just surprised he hasn't made more noise. Such a clean, classic action. I mean, jeez, look at this: