2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open

MattyO1984

> @jmck said:

> > @buckeye440 said:

> > Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

>

> Pretty much no wind until late in the day today. Tom Doak was on the coverage earlier and he said a few things that speak to the hard/easy point. I'm paraphrasing here:

>

> * The course had to be designed to be playable in strong winds from opposite directions based on prevailing wind patterns so it's fairly wide to accommodate shotmaking in either wind.

> * It's a resort course the other 51 weeks of the year so he doesn't want to beat up the average golfer too bad.

> * Take the two above, and you get a course that can be hard for recreational golfers to fit a driver on, but is much more of a 2nd shot course for the pros, based on how good they drive the ball. Not much wind= pros going low.

> * Most recreational golfers don't appreciate how good pros drive it.

> * He'd rather get beat up for making a course too easy on a day like today, than get beat up for making it too hard on a day when the wind is up. At that point he lol'ed, and there were already about five guys in with 64s with at least half the field still to go.

Thanks. Did not know it was a resort course.

Never been so disappointed in a course. A few good holes, no great ones, and several totally forgettable. Immaculate condition but not a patch on Luffness or Gullane One, never mind Muirfield and North Berwick. And the clubhouse is big and ugly and not in keeping with what classic Scottish courses have....low key. Saw some decent play but the fairways are massive it is a very weak test of shot making or the short game. Not sure it will exist in five years time.

• Like 1

> @elwhippy said:

> Never been so disappointed in a course. A few good holes, no great ones, and several totally forgettable. Immaculate condition but not a patch on Luffness or Gullane One, never mind Muirfield and North Berwick. And the clubhouse is big and ugly and not in keeping with what classic Scottish courses have....low key. Saw some decent play but the fairways are massive it is a very weak test of shot making or the short game. Not sure it will exist in five years time.

I thought the exact same regarding the clubhouse but I think the course is a little better than you describe. Thats said it does appear to be a lack of a test for elite players but the wind has been unbelievably non-existent.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Some courses I can get behind, others I cant. I have this nagging feeling with Renaissance that its not what Scottish Golf is about - its essentially a hyper exclusive club taking inspiration from all the classic courses around it...... the equivalent of a new millionaires mock tudor mansion. If someone said play 5 courses in East Lothian you might not even choose it - its noticeable the number of pros that go and play at North Berwick while they are there.

Full disclosure - I loved the tournament when it was at Loch Lomond so I am complete hypocrite regarding exclusivity but in Scottish parlance everything about the the Renaissance 'gives me the boak'.

• Like 2

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

Stick a course next to Muirfield sit back and bask in the glory, then charge £75,000 to join while looking for instant reverence, which isn't going to happen as it seems to me that the exclusivity of the place is the hook rather than the quality of the course, not that it isn't a nice course, just not great.

I said earlier in this thread, I watched last weeks golf and was in total awe of Lahinch. I have played Silloth and Southerness, both massively under rated and , to me, vastly superior.

It will be interesting to see how it fares next year. This is suppose to be a warm up for the real test next week, but if the warm up bares little or no resemblance to the main course then some pro's might start question it's value.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

> @elwhippy said:

> Never been so disappointed in a course. A few good holes, no great ones, and several totally forgettable. Immaculate condition but not a patch on Luffness or Gullane One, never mind Muirfield and North Berwick. And the clubhouse is big and ugly and not in keeping with what classic Scottish courses have....low key. Saw some decent play but the fairways are massive it is a very weak test of shot making or the short game. Not sure it will exist in five years time.

TPC du jour for you.

As far as choosing the course for the Scottish Open there is a lot of politics involved. It is part funded by the Scottish Government and part by Martin Gilbert(Aberdeen whatever it is called now). Martin has a very good say on where it is but sometimes courses he tries to take it to don't want it. It's harder than you think.

It was going to be at Trump but it wasn't officially ever committed to and for a few reasons it was moved from there. Thing about Scotland for a country so small there are so many good options with their positives and negatives.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @scott_Donald said:

> As far as choosing the course for the Scottish Open there is a lot of politics involved. It is part funded by the Scottish Government and part by Martin Gilbert(Aberdeen whatever it is called now). Martin has a very good say on where it is but sometimes courses he tries to take it to don't want it. It's harder than you think.

> It was going to be at Trump but it wasn't officially ever committed to and for a few reasons it was moved from there. Thing about Scotland for a country so small there are so many good options with their positives and negatives.

I completely get that there are massive amounts of politics involved and often good courses dont want the disruption - It some ways it makes sense to play the tournament on a course that no-one really plays - the demographic of members at Renaissance means that most of the regular players will have nice memberships elsewhere anyway.

From a Scottish golf perspective - a huge selling point of golf the UK, Scotland especially, is access and it not being a game just for the 1%. Having the national tournament at a venue that can only be accessed by the 0.001% dilutes that a bit.

Maybe in a few years they can host it at G-west :wink:

Titleist TMb 4i

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

I completely get that there are massive amounts of politics involved and often good courses dont want the disruption - It some ways it makes sense to play the tournament on a course that no-one really plays - the demographic of members at Renaissance means that most of the regular players will have nice memberships elsewhere anyway.

From a Scottish golf perspective - a huge selling point of golf the UK, Scotland especially, is access and it not being a game just for the 1%. Having the national tournament at a venue that can only be accessed by the 0.001% dilutes that a bit.

Maybe in a few years they can host it at G-west ...........

• Like 1

Titleist TMb 4i

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

I have played the course and attended the first two days play. The conditions have been absolutely perfect both days in that it has been warm with virtually no wind. Secondly there has been a lot of rain at night so greens and fairways have been softened up.

This is not normally an easy course. The greens are tricked up with lots of slope but the European Tour have done exactly the same as last year and slowed the greens down. So soft slowish greens and no wind = low scores. Had the course played as it does 95% of the year with a 20 mph wind the scoring would have been 10 shots worse over the first 2 days.

Finally I agree with what has been said previously, tour pros driving is on a level no one can really comprehend until they witness it. It makes any course difficult to defend in good conditions.

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Matt Wallace's face when he realises the cameras were on him during a fit of peak followed by a club toss.

>

> Friend played with him in the Pro AM yesterday and was full of superlatives about him.

>

> Funny he did a wee interview on course and was saying he thought he was doing well curtailing his frustration!

>

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Thomas Pieters going well, he's had a poor season and is now outside of the top 100 OWGR.

>

> Sooo much talent, him and Detry.

just watched detry on the range. the crowd behind rory was 5 men deep, i was standi ng nearlly alone behind detry... he hit it damn good... lets hope he scores today.

edit: 2 balls fore right from detry on the first....

> @M4TT said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @M4TT said:

> > > Tour de France? lol, road bikers should be BANNED from the roads AND television.

> >

> > Your attitude about bikers is wrong in so many ways.

>

> No it's not. I am a biker too, I just do it in the mountains not on the road where there are automobiles.

I rode bike once, then I lived in Portland for 7 months and it was stolen.

I play golf now.