2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Aberdeen Standard Investments Scottish Open

MattyO1984

> @jmck said:

> > @scott_Donald said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > Matt Wallace's face when he realises the cameras were on him during a fit of peak followed by a club toss.

> >

> > Friend played with him in the Pro AM yesterday and was full of superlatives about him.

> >

> > Funny he did a wee interview on course and was saying he thought he was doing well curtailing his frustration!

> >

>

> That's nice to hear. You have a couple on camera meltdowns and next thing you know everyone is getting all judgey.....

>

> > > Thomas Pieters going well, he's had a poor season and is now outside of the top 100 OWGR.

> >

> > Sooo much talent, him and Detry.

>

> I really thought Pieters was going to be the next big thing, back about 10 years ago when he was tearing up the NCAA circuit. There's still time for him of course, just surprised he hasn't made more noise. Such a clean, classic action. I mean, jeez, look at this:

>

>

>

Ha, not quite 10 years ago, only 7, but I agree with your larger point. He got up much higher but, I don't know what's been happening the last few years. It's not like he's collapsed but the results have not been there. Tough to know for a relatively random ET player what the issue or issues are.

> @scott_Donald said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Matt Wallace's face when he realises the cameras were on him during a fit of peak followed by a club toss.

>

> Friend played with him in the Pro AM yesterday and was full of superlatives about him.

>

> Funny he did a wee interview on course and was saying he thought he was doing well curtailing his frustration!

>

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > Thomas Pieters going well, he's had a poor season and is now outside of the top 100 OWGR.

>

> Sooo much talent, him and Detry.

Yeah I like Wallace and Hatton too, I mention him as well as they are both quite similar in the sense they seem like really decent blokes off the course but some of their on-course behaviour is truly cringeworthy. Also both are very good players. It doesn't surprise me that he is good in a pro-am.

Huge admirer of Pieters talent, love his swing, to me it seems like someone needs to get a grip of him and guide in the right direction as on the face of it he has all the tools to succeed.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @gvogel said:

> Why wouldn't Martin Laird play in his country's national championship?

He never qualified so he would have been relying on an invite and one way or another it was not forthcoming...whether he wanted it or not would be the next question...

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @tiderider said:

>

> Nothing about it is links ... the turf isn't firm like a links, at all ... guess the bunkers are linkish, but that's about it ... the fairways don't tumble he way a links does ... at least that's my impression ... tonight is the last night of a two week trip ...

I'm not watching any coverage till I get home tonight, but was wondering if they set it up to for spectators along the side of the approach to 10? You could get a good look at 9 green, 10, and 11 tee from there if they did it correctly, maybe even a bit of 12.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Anybody else find it odd that Rory plays the Scottish open and not the Irish open ?

> >

> > Ditto, on other response it's purely about playing the week before and on a links, albeit Renaissance is a modern links. I reckon if the Open had been at any other venue than Portrush he may have done something slightly different.

>

> Gotcha. Just curious. I’d feel obligated to play my home open. But I’m also not familiar with the politics at hand.

Which is his home open, Irish or British Open, given he is Northern Irish? The British (UK) Open is in his home country this year.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @tiderider said:

> >

> > Nothing about it is links ... the turf isn't firm like a links, at all ... guess the bunkers are linkish, but that's about it ... the fairways don't tumble he way a links does ... at least that's my impression ... tonight is the last night of a two week trip ...

>

> I'm not watching any coverage till I get home tonight, but was wondering if they set it up to for spectators along the side of the approach to 10? You could get a good look at 9 green, 10, and 11 tee from there if they did it correctly, maybe even a bit of 12.

I did not walk around enough to determine that… Today is my last day of a two week trip to Scotland and I am just about exhausted… So I stayed about three hours and made my way back to my hotel in Edinburg ...Mostly saw 16 through 18 and three through seven…

> @buckeye440 said:

> Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

It's similar to Castle Stuart when they had the Scottish Open there. It's a very playable course off the tee. The rough looks wild but in all honesty, if you are hitting it wide enough to go into it you deserved to be punished. When the wind was down, they ripped up Castle Stuart and they did the same at Renaissance today.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > Anybody else find it odd that Rory plays the Scottish open and not the Irish open ?

> > >

> > > Ditto, on other response it's purely about playing the week before and on a links, albeit Renaissance is a modern links. I reckon if the Open had been at any other venue than Portrush he may have done something slightly different.

> >

> > Gotcha. Just curious. I’d feel obligated to play my home open. But I’m also not familiar with the politics at hand.

>

> Which is his home open, Irish or British Open, given he is Northern Irish? The British (UK) Open is in his home country this year.

Heck if I know. I don’t pretend to understand that ring of politics.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @buckeye440 said:

> Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

Pretty much no wind until late in the day today. Tom Doak was on the coverage earlier and he said a few things that speak to the hard/easy point. I'm paraphrasing here:

* The course had to be designed to be playable in strong winds from opposite directions based on prevailing wind patterns so it's fairly wide to accommodate shotmaking in either wind.

* It's a resort course the other 51 weeks of the year so he doesn't want to beat up the average golfer too bad.

* Take the two above, and you get a course that can be hard for recreational golfers to fit a driver on, but is much more of a 2nd shot course for the pros, based on how good they drive the ball. Not much wind= pros going low.

* Most recreational golfers don't appreciate how good pros drive it.

* He'd rather get beat up for making a course too easy on a day like today, than get beat up for making it too hard on a day when the wind is up. At that point he lol'ed, and there were already about five guys in with 64s with at least half the field still to go.

> @jmck said:

> > @buckeye440 said:

> > Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

>

> Pretty much no wind until late in the day today. Tom Doak was on the coverage earlier and he said a few things that speak to the hard/easy point. I'm paraphrasing here:

>

> * The course had to be designed to be playable in strong winds from opposite directions based on prevailing wind patterns so it's fairly wide to accommodate shotmaking in either wind.

> * It's a resort course the other 51 weeks of the year so he doesn't want to beat up the average golfer too bad.

> * Take the two above, and you get a course that can be hard for recreational golfers to fit a driver on, but is much more of a 2nd shot course for the pros, based on how good they drive the ball. Not much wind= pros going low.

> * Most recreational golfers don't appreciate how good pros drive it.

> * He'd rather get beat up for making a course too easy on a day like today, than get beat up for making it too hard on a day when the wind is up. At that point he lol'ed, and there were already about five guys in with 64s with at least half the field still to go.

Interesting, as he complains over on GCA that they have narrowed the fairways far too much and pretty sure he stated the course was created with the charge to make it a tourney venue from the outset. So it's not like they are ripping up Pacific Dunes or Streamsong.

But yes totally if the rain softens it up, it'll be LPGA scores.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @jmck said:

> > > @buckeye440 said:

> > > Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

> >

> > Pretty much no wind until late in the day today. Tom Doak was on the coverage earlier and he said a few things that speak to the hard/easy point. I'm paraphrasing here:

> >

> > * The course had to be designed to be playable in strong winds from opposite directions based on prevailing wind patterns so it's fairly wide to accommodate shotmaking in either wind.

> > * It's a resort course the other 51 weeks of the year so he doesn't want to beat up the average golfer too bad.

> > * Take the two above, and you get a course that can be hard for recreational golfers to fit a driver on, but is much more of a 2nd shot course for the pros, based on how good they drive the ball. Not much wind= pros going low.

> > * Most recreational golfers don't appreciate how good pros drive it.

> > * He'd rather get beat up for making a course too easy on a day like today, than get beat up for making it too hard on a day when the wind is up. At that point he lol'ed, and there were already about five guys in with 64s with at least half the field still to go.

>

> Interesting, as he complains over on GCA that they have narrowed the fairways far too much and pretty sure he stated the course was created with the charge to make it a tourney venue from the outset. So it's not like they are ripping up Pacific Dunes or Streamsong.

> But yes totally if the rain softens it up, it'll be LPGA scores.

Yeah, it was a pretty cool chat the Sky Sports announcers had with him this AM. He said a bunch of things that didn't exactly hem to the company line. He also said that Pacific Dunes was the one time the piece of land was so spectacular it gave him a bit of a pause--trying to make sure the course he laid out was good enough for the land he was given.

> @jmck said:

> > @buckeye440 said:

> > Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

>

> Pretty much no wind until late in the day today. Tom Doak was on the coverage earlier and he said a few things that speak to the hard/easy point. I'm paraphrasing here:

>

> * The course had to be designed to be playable in strong winds from opposite directions based on prevailing wind patterns so it's fairly wide to accommodate shotmaking in either wind.

> * It's a resort course the other 51 weeks of the year so he doesn't want to beat up the average golfer too bad.

> * Take the two above, and you get a course that can be hard for recreational golfers to fit a driver on, but is much more of a 2nd shot course for the pros, based on how good they drive the ball. Not much wind= pros going low.

> * Most recreational golfers don't appreciate how good pros drive it.

> * He'd rather get beat up for making a course too easy on a day like today, than get beat up for making it too hard on a day when the wind is up. At that point he lol'ed, and there were already about five guys in with 64s with at least half the field still to go.

Spot on with your paraphrasing! I was listening to Sky Sports at the same time when Tom Doak was in the commentary booth. Really insightful to hear the mind of a course designer. Remember him saying that they'd let the rough grow and narrow the fairways up for this week, but the pros hit the tee ball so well that it didn't have any effect today with the wind not blowing.

Add 10-15mph more wind and you get a completely different course.

• Like 1

> @duffer987 said:

> > @jmck said:

> > > @buckeye440 said:

> > > Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

> >

> > Pretty much no wind until late in the day today. Tom Doak was on the coverage earlier and he said a few things that speak to the hard/easy point. I'm paraphrasing here:

> >

> > * The course had to be designed to be playable in strong winds from opposite directions based on prevailing wind patterns so it's fairly wide to accommodate shotmaking in either wind.

> > * It's a resort course the other 51 weeks of the year so he doesn't want to beat up the average golfer too bad.

> > * Take the two above, and you get a course that can be hard for recreational golfers to fit a driver on, but is much more of a 2nd shot course for the pros, based on how good they drive the ball. Not much wind= pros going low.

> > * He'd rather get beat up for making a course too easy on a day like today, than get beat up for making it too hard on a day when the wind is up. At that point he lol'ed, and there were already about five guys in with 64s with at least half the field still to go.

>

> Interesting, as he complains over on GCA that they have narrowed the fairways far too much and pretty sure he stated the course was created with the charge to make it a tourney venue from the outset. So it's not like they are ripping up Pacific Dunes or Streamsong.

Oh, and as a course aficionado you'll appreciate this. Rich Beem (an aficionado in his own right) was pressing him pretty good to name a favorite design of his and first he hemmed and hawed, then said that most of his favorites are private clubs that don't get nearly the press that, say, Pacific Dunes does by virtue of it being a public course. I think that's interesting in and of itself, but then eventually he admitted that if he had to pick one it'd be [stone Eagle](http://www.stoneeagleclub.com/ "Stone Eagle").

> @duffer987 said:

> > @jmck said:

> > > @buckeye440 said:

> >

> >

>

Here is a link to an article where Doak touches on narrowing the course and renumbering the holes. Good read.

https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog/tom-doak-renaissance-scottish-open

> @grm24 said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @jmck said:

> > > > @buckeye440 said:

> > > > Is the course suppose to score this low? Even has you at 119th place. Fowler not going to make the cut.

> > >

> > > Pretty much no wind until late in the day today. Tom Doak was on the coverage earlier and he said a few things that speak to the hard/easy point. I'm paraphrasing here:

> > >

> > > * The course had to be designed to be playable in strong winds from opposite directions based on prevailing wind patterns so it's fairly wide to accommodate shotmaking in either wind.

> > > * It's a resort course the other 51 weeks of the year so he doesn't want to beat up the average golfer too bad.

> > > * Take the two above, and you get a course that can be hard for recreational golfers to fit a driver on, but is much more of a 2nd shot course for the pros, based on how good they drive the ball. Not much wind= pros going low.

> > > * Most recreational golfers don't appreciate how good pros drive it.

> > > * He'd rather get beat up for making a course too easy on a day like today, than get beat up for making it too hard on a day when the wind is up. At that point he lol'ed, and there were already about five guys in with 64s with at least half the field still to go.

> >

> > Interesting, as he complains over on GCA that they have narrowed the fairways far too much and pretty sure he stated the course was created with the charge to make it a tourney venue from the outset. So it's not like they are ripping up Pacific Dunes or Streamsong.

> > But yes totally if the rain softens it up, it'll be LPGA scores.

>

> Here is a link to an article where Doak touches on narrowing the course and renumbering the holes. Good read.

> https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog/tom-doak-renaissance-scottish-open

Ya I just started watching Thurs coverage and my first thought was - hey that's not the first hole :-)

F.T.

> @M4TT said:

> When the weather turns these boys are in for a shock. Rory will be wishing he was back in the states real quick.

Next to no wind though, while there is rain forecast for mid-afternoon today and late afternoon tomorrow I don't see it as a problem. I don't want it to be a slog but even a strong breeze would be good.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @M4TT said:

> > When the weather turns these boys are in for a shock. Rory will be wishing he was back in the states real quick.

>

> Next to no wind though, while there is rain forecast for mid-afternoon today and late afternoon tomorrow I don't see it as a problem. I don't want it to be a slog but even a strong breeze would be good.

Yeah but did you see Rory miss the 17th par 3 green (among other players) yesterday when there was a 10mph wind? Pretty bad that really from a pro.

> @imakaveli said:

> > @M4TT said:

> > When the weather turns these boys are in for a shock. Rory will be wishing he was back in the states real quick.

>

> Poor Rory can only handle holiday golf :D

Yeah cause all his wins are at resort courses. The trolling never stops.

• Like 1
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > > @M4TT said:

> > > When the weather turns these boys are in for a shock. Rory will be wishing he was back in the states real quick.

> >

> > Poor Rory can only handle holiday golf :D

>

> Yeah cause all his wins are at resort courses. The trolling never stops.

(we are talking about the weather)