2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

On 4/25/2022 at 2:09 PM, Wham49 said:

Tbone, ever go down and play SPring VAlley? I have been splitting my time the last 8 years between BD, SV, Shepards crook, and Ives. Started playing Midlane end of last year and this year Nice change of pace for Me. Will probably get 10 plus rounds at BD and SV too

I've played SV twice the last three years.   They are consistently the first course to open in the area so played there first round of the year in 2020 and 2021.   I really should give it another chance when the weather is halfway decent.  I remember them having some interesting holes and green complexes.  Definitely some elevation changes as well.  Don't remember the conditions being anything to write home about but again,  played really early in the season. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Tbone, ever go down and play SPring VAlley? I have been splitting my time the last 8 years between BD, SV, Shepards crook, and Ives. Started playing Midlane end of last year and this year Nice change of pace for Me. Will probably get 10 plus rounds at BD and SV too

I've played SV twice the last three years.   They are consistently the first course to open in the area so played there first round of the year in 2020 and 2021.   I really should give it another chance when the weather is halfway decent.  I remember them having some interesting holes and green complexes.  Definitely some elevation changes as well.  Don't remember the conditions being anything to write home about but again,  played really early in the season. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

9 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

I've been playing out there over a decade and if I didn't get first tee time out on the weekends I wouldn't go out there as often as I do.  They are usually stacked up 4 or 5 groups by 9am going off each course.  No thanks.    I get along with the staff up there but I could see how they would rub a person the wrong way depending on the day. 

we got out at 7, before most people. I mean my daughter plays in the PGA junior program out there so ai am out there a lot, but IDK not a fan of the way they run stuff out there. They have always been nice to me, but I feel like they think they are doing me a favor by letting me play 

11 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

SV is my fave layout in the area, the par 3's are great, lots of cool holes. It is an old school layout, by a pretty famous architect. We played there every Sunday for a while. We started because we could play almost all year long, I will miss playing there this year TBH. The conditions are not the best, but he is working on the conditions and it has gotten better each of the last 2 years. The greens when in mid season form are great to putt on, but they dont hold a shot, which a big rub of the course

11 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Yeah, from the back tees the five biggest tests are probably Cog 4 (78/153), Stonewall (75/150), George Dunne (75.6/142), White Hawk Black to Silver (76.3/149), and Oak Grove (75/142). 

Thanks. really helpful.

TM SIM Driver 8.0 | Fujikura Speeder 661 Evo VI X-Flex

TM SIM Titanium 3 Wood | Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7x

TM P790 UDI | Graphite Design Tour AD Hybrid IZ-95x

Mizuno MP 20 MMC 4 to PW | KBS Tour C-Taper 130 X

Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 60o | KBS Tour C-Taper 130 X

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Seven CH

Titleist Prov1

Played Prairie Landing yesterday. Had a good time, but they heavily sanded the greens with a small tine aeration (they were still fast), they had cart path only resulting in a nearly 5 hour round even though the course wasn’t wet, and there were no drinks in the clubhouse to grab before teeing off. $80 weekday afternoon rate.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Veteran’s Memorial this morning. Hey, a course that knows how to read a calendar! $27 to walk. The rain came and went but we were done by the time the heavy stuff came down. The cold wind sucks but it pushed the cell that was producing graupel through pretty quickly. No big changes to the course other than the wind taking a few trees down but they made #10 a par 5, so that went from a long 4 to a very benign hole. The wind was right in our face on 6 but the tees were 100 yards forward. No complaints from either of us. One birdie on 12 and bogies on 1, 8, 11, 13 and 14. 76. Not bad considering the weather. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

SV at 5:50, cold, windy and gray to start the day. paths have been prepped for new topping. still a bit of scattered construction gunk around.

one of the new bridge handrails got in the way of my partners stinger drive on twelve, however these are new tour models so it deflected perfectly.

winds picked up and scattered rains began around number fifteen, so the swing back to the clubhouse for breakfast was even more purposeful.

fairways and greens were in fantastic condition. greens especially nice and fast with pins in some dastardly spots, like right on the crestlines.

real rain didn't hit until we were wrapped up and very happy about that.

nothing better than starting the weekend at a golf course with friends.

• Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Last minute round at the Preserve.  I'm able to add tornado to the list of weather I've been in during April.   We got 9 holes in before the heavens opened up.   Paid $50 with a cart,  which was fine.   Course was in okay condition,  lots of bare spots in the rough and fairway,  greens were slow but rolling fine.  Course was in much better shape when I played it a few weeks back.   They go to summer rates next week so the same 3pm time will be $95.  Unless conditions miraculously turn around,  they should be embarrassed charging that. 

We tipped it out today,  my game was in good shape for the most part.  4 fairways,  7 greens.  1 birdie a couple bogies and a double on 9 that was playing 470+ right into the wind and rain that started coming hard.   The sirens went off after 9 so we called it a day and went to the bar.  I'm happy with the 39. 

Sanctuary in the AM.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

12 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Played Prairie Landing yesterday. Had a good time, but they heavily sanded the greens with a small tine aeration (they were still fast), they had cart path only resulting in a nearly 5 hour round even though the course wasn’t wet, and there were no drinks in the clubhouse to grab before teeing off. $80 weekday afternoon rate.

That is hands down one of the worst courses for cart path only.   It'd be easier to walk.   

Sadly $80 is probably going to be a decent deal at that time.   Courses in this area are getting ridiculously high. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

What a miserable day at Sanctuary.  High winds,  cold,  wet.  I'm pretty over this awful weather and getting ready to hang the clubs up until it gets better.   Course was in pretty rough shape,  but for $50 it's hard to complain too much.   They'll get a pass on the over grown fairways and rough,  with all the rain how can you mow?  The bunkers were also washed put.  Greens rolled okay, but one green was like glass,  the next was slow as can be.   Hard to get any feel.   Pace was 3:45 so we had that.   It'll be interesting to see how they turn this mess around for the I80 next weekend. 

Game was okay,  put up an 80, which always feels high on a course that's fairly scorable, yet conditions were brutal.  Three putted 4 times, had one double and no birdies.   Maybe next weekend It'll turn around. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

What a miserable day at Sanctuary.  High winds,  cold,  wet.  I'm pretty over this awful weather and getting ready to hang the clubs up until it gets better.   Course was in pretty rough shape,  but for $50 it's hard to complain too much.   They'll get a pass on the over grown fairways and rough,  with all the rain how can you mow?  The bunkers were also washed put.  Greens rolled okay, but one green was like glass,  the next was slow as can be.   Hard to get any feel.   Pace was 3:45 so we had that.   It'll be interesting to see how they turn this mess around for the I80 next weekend. 

Game was okay,  put up an 80, which always feels high on a course that's fairly scorable, yet conditions were brutal.  Three putted 4 times, had one double and no birdies.   Maybe next weekend It'll turn around. 

I totally get it.  Had a tee time there yesterday at 720am and made the difficult decision to cancel, just not worth playing golf in high winds and guessing for approach shots.  Regretted my decision until about 9am when the rain and wind came in, then I hate to admit that I celebrated 😀

• Like 1

Our group had our 4th comp round at yet another private club, Arrowhead. The only real rain we experienced was on the range and by the 3rd or 4th hole, the rain gloves were off and a hole or two later it was down to just a polo. Obviously windy but at least it was a relatively consistent wind and gusts were at a minimum.

Overall, the course is in phenomenal condition, although the fairways have recently been aerated.  Rough was plush but probably only 2 inches. The bunkers were also in wonderful condition and the greens were typical Arrowhead, lightening fast.  Above the hole = pray you make the 6 foot comeback putt.

They've done a lot of work to remove trees, cut down some of the native grasses and open the airflow up all over.  The course looks amazing and it was a great day after all. With no one on the course, we easily got around in a bit over 3 hours which was delightful.

• Like 4

What a clusterduck of a spring. My buddy lives in Manhattan and for once we decided to play a course close to his home -  Highlands of Frankfort, errr…. Green Garden Gold it is!  I’ve never played any of the courses there, but based on previous comments, my expectations were pretty low.  The layout is actually not terrible, well except possibly hole number 1 - split fairway with ditch/ravine/crap down the middle  - what could go wrong.  Considering the amount of rain we’ve had lately, the course was actually in decent condition, and greens ran relatively quick and true. Iirc, the biggest knock agonist the course was the conditioning (cow pasture comes to mind?).  Based on my observations, and what my friends who played there lately said, that’s not the case any more.  Despite CPO, we managed to finish in 4:15, which was nice.  

• Like 4

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Played the Preserve at Oak Meadows on Saturday morning.  I was planning on walking if CPO due to the rain, but the 90 degree rule was in place.  We played the first 45 minutes in the rain and then it was clear the rest of the way.  The drainage there is so impressive...hardly any wet spots on the course after the rain stopped.  $85 in April is a bit tough to swallow but that seems to be the way of the golf world these days.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

15 minutes ago, Gdane said:

Played the Preserve at Oak Meadows on Saturday morning.  I was planning on walking if CPO due to the rain, but the 90 degree rule was in place.  We played the first 45 minutes in the rain and then it was clear the rest of the way.  The drainage there is so impressive...hardly any wet spots on the course after the rain stopped.  $85 in April is a bit tough to swallow but that seems to be the way of the golf world these days.

I was there Saturday afternoon as the storms rolled through, we were sitting int he bar watching the rain flood out the course.  The holes were quickly under water but then just as quick the water drained down into the wetlands areas.  It was very cool to watch and see how it all worked.    

They go on prime season rates next week, great course, but it's hardly worth the rate given the current conditions of the course.  The rates puts the course in the league with Cantigny, Mistwood, Prarie Landing and other courses that are meticulously maintained.  Too many bare spots on the course in the faiwaiy and rough, no sand in the bunkers and greens in general are not great.  So far this year I've played 27 on the Preserve and I would put it much  closer in conditiong to Sanctuary than Prarie Landing (courses I've both played this year that are on opposite spectrums with conditions)

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

13 hours ago, stasek said:

What a clusterduck of a spring. My buddy lives in Manhattan and for once we decided to play a course close to his home -  Highlands of Frankfort, errr…. Green Garden Gold it is!  I’ve never played any of the courses there, but based on previous comments, my expectations were pretty low.  The layout is actually not terrible, well except possibly hole number 1 - split fairway with ditch/ravine/crap down the middle  - what could go wrong.  Considering the amount of rain we’ve had lately, the course was actually in decent condition, and greens ran relatively quick and true. Iirc, the biggest knock agonist the course was the conditioning (cow pasture comes to mind?).  Based on my observations, and what my friends who played there lately said, that’s not the case any more.  Despite CPO, we managed to finish in 4:15, which was nice.  

The Gold course at Green Garden is decent. It's the Blue course that's not great and I would not recommend. And, yes, #1 on Gold with the split fairway is dumb. Nice hole, but a terrible opener. Ease me into the round!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

On 5/2/2022 at 5:17 PM, Jc0 said:

Played Kanekee Elks today for the mid-am qualifier. A little far to travel to normally, but for those not to far away it's a fun course. It was great shape considering all the rain. Also nice to finally have a round with the wind under 10mph. 

Love that place. Had to WD from the qualifier this year unfortunately as can't make the actual mid-am, but hope it went well for you!

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

45 minutes ago, njspence said:

Heading to Chicago(from Detroit area) May 19-21 for a little get-away, I get one round Friday morning.  Was thinking Dubsdread...Am I on the right track for one round while in town?

Would play early morning, walking, anyone want to join?

Thanks!

Famous course, but there are better to play

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

They’re letting us off work at 1:45 tomorrow for teacher appreciation week since on Wednesdays the kids get out at 1:30. From Woodlawn I think my options are Jackson Park (basically a bog right now), Burnham Woods (hard pass) or Lost Marsh (oof…best of the three?). I guess I could take Stony Island to Harborside but that’s gonna be swampy as well. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 hour ago, njspence said:

What others would you recommend?

I'd go ahead and play Cog. It is the best course in the area. There are other good ones, and maybe better values, but Cog 4 is the best. Mistwood, Cantigny, Blackstone, Highlands of Elgin, Bowes Creek, Preserve of Oak Meadows are all the upper tier. (Mistwood and Cantigny being the best in my opinion) but they all fall just below #4. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, njspence said:

Heading to Chicago(from Detroit area) May 19-21 for a little get-away, I get one round Friday morning.  Was thinking Dubsdread...Am I on the right track for one round while in town?

Would play early morning, walking, anyone want to join?

Thanks!

Play Dubs - yeah there might be better, but it's the only course in the area you can play that's public and has any type of PGA recognition.  Coming to Chicago for golf and not playing Dubs would be like going to Motnerey and not playing Pebble.....  okay maybe not that extreme but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy