2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Personally, I really like Thunderhawk. I agree that the par 3’s leave something to be desired and always found it odd that, even with the huge amount of property they had to work with, there are still holes that feel jammed in and, subsequently, create more target golf than I’d prefer. However, there are some really, really good 4’s and the 5’s offer a nice mix of scoring holes (8 and 11 if you hit a good tee shot) and holes where par is a good score (2, 16, 18). Plus, I’m a mark for Michigan courses and Thunderhawk is one of the only courses in the area that feels like a MI course. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 8/29/2022 at 12:32 PM, MountainKing said:

My issue with SC is the course doesn't really do anything until hole 5.

number three has a decent appearance, with the water off greenside right.

always liked the look of five - the backdrop of trees at the green is really nice looking.  like hitting down toward that.

the back nine is just plain golf with little else to catch the eye.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

14 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

number three has a decent appearance, with the water off greenside right.

always liked the look of five - the backdrop of trees at the green is really nice looking.  like hitting down toward that.

the back nine is just plain golf with little else to catch the eye.

Yeah I was trying to give it a little more benefit, but the more I think about the course the less impressive I think it is.  It seems like it's always been in good shape when we're there, but I still don't think any of the opening holes are great.  The 240 yard 4th is a dumb yardage for a par 3 on any course that doesn't hold a PGA event.  The 14th is another poor designed hole IMO, unnecesarily long for a hole that plays into the wind and the creek cutting through forces you to lay way back if you're into the wind, as if the hole isn't already long enough.  It's a good course, a fantastic value, but my broken record self doesn't think it's worth the drive.  I do get the love that it does get from all the northern suburb folks who can get there in 20 minutes. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Yeah I was trying to give it a little more benefit, but the more I think about the course the less impressive I think it is.  It seems like it's always been in good shape when we're there, but I still don't think any of the opening holes are great.  The 240 yard 4th is a dumb yardage for a par 3 on any course that doesn't hold a PGA event.  The 14th is another poor designed hole IMO, unnecesarily long for a hole that plays into the wind and the creek cutting through forces you to lay way back if you're into the wind, as if the hole isn't already long enough.  It's a good course, a fantastic value, but my broken record self doesn't think it's worth the drive.  I do get the love that it does get from all the northern suburb folks who can get there in 20 minutes. 

It's a nice change of pace from the usual all grass/tree parkland looking places in the burbs.

re the back nine - hole fifteen up the hill  and sixteen down is kind of fun.

otherwise - get me to the clubhouse for something to eat.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Brighton Dale Blue Saturday, Petrifying Springs Sunday, Brighton Dale White Monday.   I was playing with the head pro from Pets two weekends ago and someone on a 4 wheeler ripped up two of the greens on the back overnight.   It happened to another two greens a week later.  I guess they are now playing 3 of the 4 as temporary or automatic 2 putts as they do their best to repair.   I have not played Pets this season so was looking forward to it but disappointing that people are awful sometimes.  

Edited by TBone0576
  • Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Going to play Prairie View next week and may make it a 36 hole day. Anyone played Aldeen lately? Just curious if it's in good shape or not.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

1 hour ago, AUTIGER07 said:

Going to play Prairie View next week and may make it a 36 hole day. Anyone played Aldeen lately? Just curious if it's in good shape or not.

Aldeen is aerating next week. September 6 and 7. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

16 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Aldeen is aerating next week. September 6 and 7. 

Appreciate the heads up, Bear. Will definitely look somewhere else.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

3 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

McHenry County double this weekend of Pinecrest and the Oak Grove. No doubt we'll be rollin VIP at OG with the amazing treatment of the one person working there.

When I played Oak Grove two weeks ago, they were actually using the pro-shop for check-in! I was shocked.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

46 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

That's crazy talk Bear.  Did you go through the extensive dry/soft good in the pro-shop?  And most importantly, how was the sand in the bunkers?

Actually, Oak Grove was in very nice shape when I played it. Significantly better than when I played there in mid-May.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Played Blackstone today. Great track. Greens were fast and true despite a surprising number of poorly repaired ball marks. My only complaint (not on the course at all) was some jack-wagons that jumped in between our groups and decided to add some racial slurs to a couple "closest-to-the-pin" markers. Just an odd/bad choice for grown men to make.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, m052310 said:

Played Blackstone today. Great track. Greens were fast and true despite a surprising number of poorly repaired ball marks. My only complaint (not on the course at all) was some jack-wagons that jumped in between our groups and decided to add some racial slurs to a couple "closest-to-the-pin" markers. Just an odd/bad choice for grown men to make.   

Sadly, I'm not surprised at all. 

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

13 hours ago, m052310 said:

All of that sounds about right for Blackstone. 

On 8/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, TBone0576 said:

It's been a few years since I have played Thunderhawk.   Never had an issue with conditioning out there.   I've never shot particularly well out there but I don't attribute it to being overly difficult.  As others have mentioned there is a stretch of holes 12 thru 15 have always seemed goofy and shoehorned in there.  Not a fan of 16 either, the tee shot has always seemed really strange to me.   I'll play out there if invited for work but I haven't paid my own greens fees out there in over 10 years I'd bet.  

Thunder, IMHO, is the best public track in IL. The greens are terribly slow compared to private tracks because they, like others are short staff to maintain it properly. Also, literally NO ONE repairs divots and ball marks which is a crime. In the end you cannot beat the layout anywhere. Public track, no up and back holes and no homes! Played Fri 9/2...Had a blast. Also #16, while a very difficult hole is my favorite par 5 anywhere....

• Like 1

Back in Southern Wisconsin. I don’t really like coming up here. This place is too lost in time. No TV, no internet except in the clubhouse. The bed is comically uncomfortable. But my wife and daughter love it and it has easy access to courses. So, anyway, Delbrook and Oak Grove today. Delbrook is quietly becoming a favorite of mine. Always well-maintained, the rough is always cut, greens are smooth and mark-free, bunkers are full and groomed, and the first tee time is usually available (hence the 2:50 pace). It’s a long par 70 but length really isn’t an issue for me. Ball striking was, well, a reflection of the fact that I’m back to playing on weekends only. No birds but shot a 74. Had a bad double on a par 3. My sand game has been my Achilles heel all season and it reared its ugly head. 
Oak Grove must only be in good shape for a few days a year. Bear hyped it up but I can confirm…yeah, no. Same old washed out traps, same bumpy greens, same chewed up tee boxes. Fairways were fine. Very firm. Lots of waiting but still a 4 hour pace. Played through a sixsome (gotta love Oak Grove) and a foursome. 76. 

• Like 3

Piretti Cottonwood II

Kettle Moraine GC today. As Jack Nicklaus said, “It’s got more doglegs than a [edited for political correcrness].” Times have changed. Anyway, the greens were very good and I tolerate the layout because it’s $26 on a holiday. Hit the ball well. 13 greens, 2 birdies on the front and a nine-par back for a 71. 3:30 pace for a foursome. Pretty decent. It pays to play early. 

• Like 3

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played for the first time today since July.  We unfortunately lost our daughter shortly after she was born  just over a month back, so took some time away from playing to spend with my family.  

Played Prairie Landing this morning.   Course was in excellent shape,  greens were as fast as I've ever seen em there.   No complaints on pace either,  being one of the first out we got through in 3:30, was expecting that to be way higher given it was booked solid

No real expectations, shot an 81 but hit the ball a lot better than that.  Played the par 3s in 6 over, and managed to double bogey hole 7 after being pin high in two.  Other than that 11 fairways and 12 greens in reg.  Felt good to be back.

Hitting up the Prarie View tomorrow for the first time,  looking forward to it. 

• Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 7/11/2022 at 9:29 AM, DavePelz4 said:

Our comp played Deere Run on Saturday and the course was still in tournament conditions. Per the staff, the rough had not been cut since before the tournament, so it was easily 6 inches in some places.  On 2 occasions, balls were lost in the rough and no more than 10 feet off the fairway.  Unless you found an area where the gallery had trampled the grass down, you were going to be lucky to advance the ball maybe 30-40 yards.  Although we were playing 1 up from the tips, quite a few tees were actually all the way back, which added a fair amount of length to the course.  There were still tents and pavilions up, especially around 17 and 18, and after getting up and down from 40 yards out, I gave a wave to the (invisible) skill admiring fans.

It's easy to see why the pros are so adept at bunker play as the silica in the bunkers always provided for the perfect lie.  Even someone who can be bunker-challenged like me was able to spin the ball from perfect lies.  The greens were in wonderful shape but played a bit less break that it appeared.  Left too many putts on the high side expecting some break or gravity to take over.

Pace was a bit disappointing at 4:45 as the twosome in front of us was playing the wrong tees and good golly, they took their sweet time.

Deere Run has nearly doubled in price from the $89/round that we used to play to $179. Not sure if that was because of playing it the week after the Classic or if that's their current rate structure. Regardless, it's always a great time to play a Tour course in near tour conditions.

I believe they discount it down under a $100 after Labor Day.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

8 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Played for the first time today since July.  We unfortunately lost our daughter shortly after she was born  just over a month back, so took some time away from playing to spend with my family.  

Played Prairie Landing this morning.   Course was in excellent shape,  greens were as fast as I've ever seen em there.   No complaints on pace either,  being one of the first out we got through in 3:30, was expecting that to be way higher given it was booked solid

No real expectations, shot an 81 but hit the ball a lot better than that.  Played the par 3s in 6 over, and managed to double bogey hole 7 after being pin high in two.  Other than that 11 fairways and 12 greens in reg.  Felt good to be back.

So sorry for your loss.  

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

17 hours ago, MountainKing said:

MK, my thoughts are with you and your family. Sorry for your loss.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Played Settler's Hill on Sunday morning. Course is in roughhhh shape. I would advise against playing it this year unless it's a smoking deal and/or the only course with an opening. Not totally surprised since they just re-opened it recently and I heard rumblings they rushed it a bit since they need to get some cash flow coming in...

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

19 hours ago, MountainKing said:

So sorry for your loss.

That's awful.  I'm sorry. 

I Played a pretty slow 9 at PrairieView early Sunday afternoon,  I've only been out there one other time this year, but every time I go, I wonder why I don't go that way more often.  Hope you enjoy it.  

TM Sim 2 Max 9*

TM M1 3w

Ping Crossover 2 iron

Mizuno CLK 19* 

Callaway X-forged UT 21

Nike VR Pro Combo 5-9 iron

Vokey 46, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron x12

Man, that’s…no words. So sorry for your loss. 

Piretti Cottonwood II