2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

> @mci711 said:

> Well I had plans of going to Notre Dame and playing the Warren Course today, but getting home from Las Vegas at 3am, only have 5 hours of sleep since Friday and the small detail I missed about the course being closed on Monday ended that idea.

>

> I did have a great day on the course though. Knocked 2 courses off my list. Tee'd off at Mt Prospect at 12:30 and played in a 3some and finished at 3:45. The course is a lot of fun, really cool holes and a good variety. Not my favorite course, but really solid. They aerated last week and the greens were super hairy and slow today. Only negative.

>

> The drive home looked pretty bad traffic wise so I decided to hit up The Preserve at Oak Meadows on the way back. Very glad I did. They were wide open. I got there at 4:30 and was told I had to have the cart in by 6:50 which I thought was super odd. My guess is their college/high school kids are back in school and whoever is stuck with closing up now is lazy/passed staying til sundown. I finished right at 6:50, ran into foursomes on 16 and almost didn't get it in.

>

> The course jumped very high up my Illinois public list. I'd say top 4. It is beautiful out there, and it obviously helped to be the only one out there for 15 holes, but it was super peaceful/quiet and nice watching the planes landing and taking off ha. Will definitely be a course I play a few times a year now. I really enjoyed it.

>

> 9h5egeupezlc.png

>

@mci711 Based on your post I was inspired to get out to the Preserve this morning and play 18 before heading to work. This is the first time I had ever played out there and was very impressed. They were punching a few of the tee boxes on the back 9 and the greens were a little slow due to some of the topdressing still showing in spots but overall conditions were fantastic. Pace of play was great as we finished as a foursome in 3 1/2 hours.

I ended up shooting 74 with several dumb mistakes that I wouldn't try again now that I've seen the course.

If anyone is considering playing there in the next week or two I wouldn't hesitate about playing there. Great course in great shape. I'll be back over there for a round in the spring.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

Oak Meadows is gorgeous. The bar they built in between the 4th and 5th holes is unique and a great touch. The clubhouse is underway and once that is done, this will be a packed course for the most part. For all the beautiful courses we have in the Chicago area, there is a lack of any meaningful courses in that area.

Off to Tanna Farms today for the first time, very excited to see what all the fuss is about!

Meant to post this on Sunday, but I went out of town. My foursome showed up to Oak Grove in Harvard on Sunday morning at 7:45 for our 8:15am tee time. Parking lot had about 10 cars and lots of people standing around. Turns out the clubhouse was locked, no answer on the phone, nothing. A guy had been there since 6:45 waiting. We decided to call a different course and got a tee time right away, but what a waste of time driving out there :/

> @Shriner said:

> Oak Meadows is gorgeous. The bar they built in between the 4th and 5th holes is unique and a great touch. The clubhouse is underway and once that is done, this will be a packed course for the most part. For all the beautiful courses we have in the Chicago area, there is a lack of any meaningful courses in that area.

>

> Off to Tanna Farms today for the first time, very excited to see what all the fuss is about!

A par 3 over water to open the round is always interesting! I actually like the course though; enjoy!!

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

> @sma said:

> Meant to post this on Sunday, but I went out of town. My foursome showed up to Oak Grove in Harvard on Sunday morning at 7:45 for our 8:15am tee time. Parking lot had about 10 cars and lots of people standing around. Turns out the clubhouse was locked, no answer on the phone, nothing. A guy had been there since 6:45 waiting. We decided to call a different course and got a tee time right away, but what a waste of time driving out there :/

I would have gone out and played the course.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @sma said:

> > Meant to post this on Sunday, but I went out of town. My foursome showed up to Oak Grove in Harvard on Sunday morning at 7:45 for our 8:15am tee time. Parking lot had about 10 cars and lots of people standing around. Turns out the clubhouse was locked, no answer on the phone, nothing. A guy had been there since 6:45 waiting. We decided to call a different course and got a tee time right away, but what a waste of time driving out there :/

>

> I would have gone out and played the course.

Back when I was in the business I somehow set my alarm clock for 4pm instead of AM. I was opening that morning and obviously overslept. That was the worst feeling. Luckily a co-worker just happened to be out there to hit balls and saved me. Otherwise, there would have been a lot of pissed off people.

> @sma said:

> Meant to post this on Sunday, but I went out of town. My foursome showed up to Oak Grove in Harvard on Sunday morning at 7:45 for our 8:15am tee time. Parking lot had about 10 cars and lots of people standing around. Turns out the clubhouse was locked, no answer on the phone, nothing. A guy had been there since 6:45 waiting. We decided to call a different course and got a tee time right away, but what a waste of time driving out there :/

Oak Grove is down to minimal staff so it's not surprising that the "person" who was running the course overslept or had a big Saturday night. I'd send a note to Tim Miles at GolfVisions but he has never responded to any notes/emails.

First of all, I agree with Argonne, I would have tee'd it up on hole 1 and started my round, 100%. I would have just carried my bag as that is a 1:15 minute drive for me. If someone is there after the round, I would pay the greens fee at that time. If not, that is on them. Used to do this at Buck's Barn Golf Course by the Mississippi River.

However, there would be one exception: I did not golf on Sunday but I had a buddy get turned away at a Naperville course due to all the rain Sunday morning. SMA - Is it possible the course was closed due to weather?

> @Shriner said:

> First of all, I agree with Argonne, I would have tee'd it up on hole 1 and started my round, 100%. I would have just carried my bag as that is a 1:15 minute drive for me. If someone is there after the round, I would pay the greens fee at that time. If not, that is on them. Used to do this at Buck's Barn Golf Course by the Mississippi River.

>

> However, there would be one exception: I did not golf on Sunday but I had a buddy get turned away at a Naperville course due to all the rain Sunday morning. SMA - Is it possible the course was closed due to weather?

Hmmm...I live in NaperHell and not too far from Springbrook or N'brook. We didn't think we had that much rain.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @sma said:

> > Meant to post this on Sunday, but I went out of town. My foursome showed up to Oak Grove in Harvard on Sunday morning at 7:45 for our 8:15am tee time. Parking lot had about 10 cars and lots of people standing around. Turns out the clubhouse was locked, no answer on the phone, nothing. A guy had been there since 6:45 waiting. We decided to call a different course and got a tee time right away, but what a waste of time driving out there :/

>

> Oak Grove is down to minimal staff so it's not surprising that the "person" who was running the course overslept or had a big Saturday night. I'd send a note to Tim Miles at GolfVisions but he has never responded to any notes/emails.

Funny you say that, I did send an email on Monday and did not get a reply (yet).

A few years back I had a noon tee time at Harrison Hills west of Indy. It was the final round on my Cincinnati/Columbus trip. I woke up in Ohio and looked at the radar, and it looked like a storm was going to blow in around 1 pm. I headed out early and got to the course at 9 am to find it closed. They apparently don't open until noon on Mondays. I grabbed my pushcart and bag and headed out on to the empty course. A few maintenance workers waved to me, but nobody said anything. I wound up catching hell from the grumpy 'ol guy in the pro shop when I stopped in to pay later. Lol.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @sma said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @sma said:

> > > Meant to post this on Sunday, but I went out of town. My foursome showed up to Oak Grove in Harvard on Sunday morning at 7:45 for our 8:15am tee time. Parking lot had about 10 cars and lots of people standing around. Turns out the clubhouse was locked, no answer on the phone, nothing. A guy had been there since 6:45 waiting. We decided to call a different course and got a tee time right away, but what a waste of time driving out there :/

> >

> > Oak Grove is down to minimal staff so it's not surprising that the "person" who was running the course overslept or had a big Saturday night. I'd send a note to Tim Miles at GolfVisions but he has never responded to any notes/emails.

>

> Funny you say that, I did send an email on Monday and did not get a reply (yet).

I'll take the under on a response. I've also called GV and left voicemails trying to talk with him. Yet to have a call returned either.

> @sma said:

I had the exact same situation happen two years ago at Oak Grove. Showed up, no one home. We always walk, so we just said fuck it, and went out. Paid when we finished. The clubhouse guy "claimed" that the power went out, so that's why it wasn't open. Seemed pretty sketchy considering it was a beautiful day, but hey, that's Oak Grove. That minor inconvenience was nothing compared to the time we played there and the whole place reeked of cat piss. Now, that was awful.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Update on Klein Creek...

"The Klein Creek bunker renovation has begun and is ahead of schedule. By next spring players will notice drastic changes to our bunkers as some original bunkers will be converted into grass and/or waste bunkers. All bunkers being restored will have new drainage, tile and new Pro/Angle sand. As seen below, the new sand visually is a stark contrast to our current bunkers along with the playability. Current holes completed with the new Pro/Angle sand are 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 18. New warm-up hitting bays have also been added as a new amenity."

Hmmm...might be worthwhile to take a look soon.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Update on Klein Creek...

>

> "The Klein Creek bunker renovation has begun and is ahead of schedule. By next spring players will notice drastic changes to our bunkers as some original bunkers will be converted into grass and/or waste bunkers. All bunkers being restored will have new drainage, tile and new Pro/Angle sand. As seen below, the new sand visually is a stark contrast to our current bunkers along with the playability. Current holes completed with the new Pro/Angle sand are 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 18. New warm-up hitting bays have also been added as a new amenity."

>

> Hmmm...might be worthwhile to take a look soon.

I can't imagine how many insurance claims are made each season by homeowners that live on Klein Creek.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

> @sma said:

They lock the gate at night. I know this because they've locked me in before. Once the carts are in, all bets are off for the walkers.

So someone must've showed up and then left.

I played there Sunday and it was in decent enough shape considering all the rain we received.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

I played Cog Hill (course 3) on Wednesday for the Fresh Thyme Mission 22/Warrior's Heart charity event.

First time on the property. The whole event was really awesome, but I must admit that I was disappointed in the course itself. I'm sure Dubs would've been better.

Regardless, it was a spectacular day and had a great time!

Well worth the price and drive for such a good cause.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Hilton Head this weekend. ought to be fun and a challenge.

hope to navigate Harbour Town with dignity. reminder to tip the caddie large.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

First time playing at Mount Prospect. Nice practice area with a practice putting green that resembles the real course which is incredible undulating. Don't know why the range was mats only on a nice day like today.

Quite the intimidating course, especially for a first timer. There are very few easy pin placements and it's tough to get the ball close because Mount Prospect has pretty tight fairways and tee shots are challenging even though I only used two drivers all day. Greens were average speed, but a few ballmarks to putt through even though I thought the greens were in good shape overall, but for the first time in who knows how long, I had 0 one putts. Very well-maintained for a $50 course. Mount Prospect is one of those courses that will be a lot easier the second time around. I liked the added feature of hole notes on the course GPS and the similarity that each hole has with its famous predecessor that it’s designed after. Does anyone else like Mount Prospect?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"St Jimmy" said:

> I played Cog Hill (course 3) on Wednesday for the Fresh Thyme Mission 22/Warrior's Heart charity event.

> First time on the property. The whole event was really awesome, but I must admit that I was disappointed in the course itself. I'm sure Dubs would've been better.

> Regardless, it was a spectacular day and had a great time!

> Well worth the price and drive for such a good cause.

If you've never been before, courses 1 and 3 are their lesser courses, 2 is a bit better and Dubs is their top course. 1 and 3 are cool settings with the amount of trees, but nothing special in terms of layout and design unfortunately.

> @CRDuffy21 said:

> I know it's not technically Chicago/Illinois, but has anyone played Sandy Pines in De Motte, Indiana? I have heard good things from people but it's a bit of a hike from the Loop. I travel to Indianapolis frequently for work and wouldn't mind a nice place to pull off I-65 to play.

> It looks good from the pictures, and the reviews are good but trust you folks more than the random reviews. Anyone had experience out there?

No first-hand experience with Sandy Pines, but one of the guys in my league, as well as some of the Indy/Circle City Chili Dipper thread speak highly of the course. It doesn't sound like it's of the same caliber as Purgatory, Prairie View, Trophy Club or the Lafayette Courses, but it's been recommended as a good course to play. Hope that helps a little.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> First time playing at Mount Prospect. Nice practice area with a practice putting green that resembles the real course which is incredible undulating. Don't know why the range was mats only on a nice day like today.

>

> Quite the intimidating course, especially for a first timer. There are very few easy pin placements and it's tough to get the ball close because Mount Prospect has pretty tight fairways and tee shots are challenging even though I only used two drivers all day. Greens were average speed, but a few ballmarks to putt through even though I thought the greens were in good shape overall, but for the first time in who knows how long, I had 0 one putts. Very well-maintained for a $50 course. Mount Prospect is one of those courses that will be a lot easier the second time around. I liked the added feature of hole notes on the course GPS and the similarity that each hole has with its famous predecessor that it’s designed after. Does anyone else like Mount Prospect?

I am not a fan, at all. The conditioning is usually nice but they really only have room for a nine hole course on that size of property. Even with the tee boxes pushed into people's backyards, they still only got 6300 (?) yards out of it. There are some tee shots that are dangerously close to homes. GREAT practice area though.

> @cpeck12 said:

> > @Shriner said:

> > Oak Meadows is gorgeous. The bar they built in between the 4th and 5th holes is unique and a great touch. The clubhouse is underway and once that is done, this will be a packed course for the most part. For all the beautiful courses we have in the Chicago area, there is a lack of any meaningful courses in that area.

> >

> > Off to Tanna Farms today for the first time, very excited to see what all the fuss is about!

>

> A par 3 over water to open the round is always interesting! I actually like the course though; enjoy!!

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> First time playing at Mount Prospect. Nice practice area with a practice putting green that resembles the real course which is incredible undulating. Don't know why the range was mats only on a nice day like today.

>

> Quite the intimidating course, especially for a first timer. There are very few easy pin placements and it's tough to get the ball close because Mount Prospect has pretty tight fairways and tee shots are challenging even though I only used two drivers all day. Greens were average speed, but a few ballmarks to putt through even though I thought the greens were in good shape overall, but for the first time in who knows how long, I had 0 one putts. Very well-maintained for a $50 course. Mount Prospect is one of those courses that will be a lot easier the second time around. I liked the added feature of hole notes on the course GPS and the similarity that each hole has with its famous predecessor that it’s designed after. Does anyone else like Mount Prospect?

I've come to like the course, but know it is a polarizing design.

I've played in the Wednesday men's league for 2 years now, and because I get limited opportunities to play with 2 young girls (not complaining), and because it's so close to work, it is a great little course to keep the whole game in shape.

They punched the greens last week Monday and Tuesday with the small tines, and the greens are pretty close to being healed up from my point of view.

Again, I've come to like the course a lot, and understand many don't like it...

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

6300 par 70...

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

how about those strong par 4's from the tips (2, 6 and 11), 430 - 480 yards

Esler (the architect who did the renovation) emphasized that what he was doing at Mt Prospect was to give the golfer a chance to play template holes that are at the top private clubs, Shoreacreas and Chicago Golf Club.

He probably put too much into the greens for their size.

TM TP5x

>

I played it for the first time this past week as well. I enjoyed it. It isn't in the upper tier of courses we get to play in the Chicago area but for the price it is solid. I enjoyed playing the wholes that were designed after holes in Scotland that I had just played. (St Andrews and multiple North Berwick holes) That is something you enjoy more if you've seen the original.