Change from forged/blade to big game improvers ... Did it improve your handicap?

mattd1

I used to play blades primarily. If not a blade a players cb like tm300 or tourstage z101. In the last couple of years I have played primarily game improvers like rsi 1's and jpx 800's. My handicap has not come down, but it has not gone out either. The change has been positive and is necessitated by old father time. Decreasing swing speed and a body that does not work as well as it once did. I could probably still play blades if I wished with ok results but I would feel that I would have to work harder to keep my iron play to an acceptable level.

Theres so much more to it than blade vs gi. Generic "forgiveness" is an absolute sham. Your handicap will come down if you get fit for offset, sole, swingweight, length, loft and lie. Your personal combination may best suit one or the other or a combination of both. But unless you get fit - results will be random.

My scoring consistency improved after moving to full on GI clubs. I was playing to a 7 handicap at that time and the large clubs increased my confidence quite a lot. It's not like you can get away with murder with bad swings or anything, but I definitely noticed how the clubs saved me on certain mishits like off the toe or steep. My scoring is more linked to putting than iron shots so it's hard to quantify any handicap change associated with the clubs, but if pressed to guess I'd say the clubs reduced my handicap about 1/2 stroke. I suspect that difference would be much greater for a higher handicap player; give a 25 capper a set of blades and they would cost him for more strokes than they would cost me.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The biggest disadvantage with my 410's I see is tight lies around greens. My chipping vastly improves narrower soles.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

> @Nessism said:

> My scoring consistency improved after moving to full on GI clubs. I was playing to a 7 handicap at that time and the large clubs increased my confidence quite a lot. It's not like you can get away with murder with bad swings or anything, but I definitely noticed how the clubs saved me on certain mishits like off the toe or steep. My scoring is more linked to putting than iron shots so it's hard to quantify any handicap change associated with the clubs, but if pressed to guess I'd say the clubs reduced my handicap about 1/2 stroke. I suspect that difference would be much greater for a higher handicap player; give a 25 capper a set of blades and they would cost him for more strokes than they would cost me.

Yeah see I don't know about that... If it's going to help anyone I see it being in the 5-15 range. Under that I feel the can handle the blades no issue and over I think they're going to have a sh*t round either way. Much like what we've talked about in the other threads, I'm not sure high handicappers would vary that much with different irons. Even something like a TM CGB compared to a true blade. For someone who is "almost good" but not quite I think it can make a big difference. I also feel as though the those in the other thread supporting blades really don't believe directional misses are worse. In my mind the narrower sole is way more workable because 1. it cuts through the turf like a knife so it will actually go where you're "aiming" 2. narrow soles don't get in the way at all so you can turn them a fair bit more due to lower bounce and smaller size. Even though left and right dispersion is a direct result of path and face to path so no club should be "more workable" than another, I do feel that tiny irons are drastically easier to miss left and right with. If you are good at managing that relationship you can be very precise with them. Everything is a trade off.

> @balls_deep said:

> I do feel that tiny irons are drastically easier to miss left and right with. If you are good at managing that relationship you can be very precise with them. Everything is a trade off.

My experience has been opposite. I've had bigger directional misses with the larger CBs than with the smaller clubheads I've played. That's actually followed with driver for me, as well; my initial directional accuracy has been weirdly better with persimmons/laminates than with the modern drivers.

The corollary to the above is the higher MOI of the larger clubs has the shots flying straighter. I especially saw this when switching away from the Eye2+ I used for a year; I suddenly found myself seeing tiny fades and draws (not intentionally applied) that I hadn't been seeing that year.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > I do feel that tiny irons are drastically easier to miss left and right with. If you are good at managing that relationship you can be very precise with them. Everything is a trade off.

>

>

> My experience has been opposite. I've had bigger directional misses with the larger CBs than with the smaller clubheads I've played. That's actually followed with driver for me, as well; my initial directional accuracy has been weirdly better with persimmons/laminates than with the modern drivers.

>

> The corollary to the above is the higher MOI of the larger clubs has the shots flying straighter. I especially saw this when switching away from the Eye2+ I used for a year; I suddenly found myself seeing tiny fades and draws (not intentionally applied) that I hadn't been seeing that year.

Well I'm going to say that the majority of golfers would probably do worse with persimmons..

This point is so funny because many say they play blades because they're more workable ("I can't hit a fade with an SGI) and then say that the SGI misses long on whatever miss they've had. A smaller club is more workable IMO and therefore easier to directionally miss with for a bad player.

I've never been a low handicapper nor have I used in any realistic sense any kind of blade irons (not counting the odd nine holes with a set of antiques made before I was born> @lawsonman said:

> The biggest disadvantage with my 410's I see is tight lies around greens. My chipping vastly improves narrower soles.

I went from Ping G irons to JPX 900 Hot Metals. Same "category" of irons and the soles are only maybe 10-15% narrower (just subjective, haven't measured) but playing your little basic dead hands bump-and-run 8-iron shot from 20 yards off the green my distance control and feel seem much better. Not "vastly improved" in my case but I have a feeling it might be if I'd went all the way down to player-ish clubs. Just the little difference in G to Hot Metal was definitely noticeable.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > I do feel that tiny irons are drastically easier to miss left and right with. If you are good at managing that relationship you can be very precise with them. Everything is a trade off.

> >

> >

> > My experience has been opposite. I've had bigger directional misses with the larger CBs than with the smaller clubheads I've played. That's actually followed with driver for me, as well; my initial directional accuracy has been weirdly better with persimmons/laminates than with the modern drivers.

> >

> > The corollary to the above is the higher MOI of the larger clubs has the shots flying straighter. I especially saw this when switching away from the Eye2+ I used for a year; I suddenly found myself seeing tiny fades and draws (not intentionally applied) that I hadn't been seeing that year.

>

> Well I'm going to say that the majority of golfers would probably do worse with persimmons..

>

> This point is so funny because many say they play blades because they're more workable ("I can't hit a fade with an SGI) and then say that the SGI misses long on whatever miss they've had. A smaller club is more workable IMO and therefore easier to directionally miss with for a bad player.

It's hard to say. It's quite possibly so, but there's a not insignificant number who've had better results with lumber. Some of them are here on WRX.

And repeating myself, I've found it easier directionally with smaller clubs. I also have no doubt it's different for others; I have a friend with a similar hdcp who has trouble hitting even his Ping G series irons.

Golf is not **one size fits all** :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think a lot of people here don't realize what game improvement irons can do for your game. Maybe it doesn't feel like game improvement irons will help because a bad shot is a bad shot and a good shot is a good shot. The difference is with the game improvement clubs the ball ends up on or near the green even if it feels bad. On the other hand, the players iron ends up much further away.

I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.

• Like 1
ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @MBBG said:

> I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

>

> I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

>

> *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

I am a 2 handicap and have played a range of iron designs from muscle back blades to small cavity backs to the largest head super game improvement irons available.

Each of the different designs has its own positive and negative performance factors.For me scoring average is the same regardless of iron set.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @balls_deep said:

> > @MBBG said:

> > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> >

> > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> >

> > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

>

> Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

>

Confirmation bias.

No offense intended

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @MBBG said:

> > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > >

> > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > >

> > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> >

> > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> >

>

> Confirmation bias.

>

> No offense intended

Well perfect ball mark towards toe and hit my 165 number with 8. Don’t think I’d have gotten the same result from my MB 8.

He has found over the many years that if he practices enough, he can hit any club head pretty well.

One thing he has learned is that he can have problems with a too soft/too firm of a shaft to effectively release the club.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @MBBG said:

> > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > >

> > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > >

> > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> >

> > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> >

>

_**> Confirmation bias.

>

> No offense intended**_

... That is one very black pot calling the kettle black.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

> @chisag said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @MBBG said:

> > > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > > >

> > > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > > >

> > > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> > >

> > > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> > >

> >

> _**> Confirmation bias.

> >

> > No offense intended**_

>

> ... That is one very black pot calling the kettle black.

I can imagine you'd like to think so, but you'd be wrong. LOL

Look back to my post on the first page. I was a 7 when I switched to Pings. I was a 7 after a year with Pings, when I switched back. Where's the bias in that?

I didn't even mention what happened over the six weeks after I'd switched back to Ram Tour Grinds. :)

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @chisag said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @MBBG said:

> > > > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > > > >

> > > > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > > > >

> > > > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> > > >

> > > > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> > > >

> > >

> > _**> Confirmation bias.

> > >

> > > No offense intended**_

> >

> > ... That is one very black pot calling the kettle black.

>

> I can imagine you'd like to think so, but you'd be wrong. LOL

>

> Look back to my post on the first page. I was a 7 when I switched to Pings. I was a 7 after a year with Pings, when I switched back. Where's the bias in that?

>

> I didn't even mention what happened over the six weeks after I'd switched back to Ram Tour Grinds. :)

It's not like I'm playing Ping G's.. The Titleist CB is one of the smaller CB designs on the market. There's a bit of help packed in there though. 12 GIR each of the last two rounds and the rest very close if not on the fringe. 76 and 77. I can swing a club fine no issue playing blades but the help is there to be had.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @MBBG said:

> > > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > > >

> > > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > > >

> > > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> > >

> > > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> > >

> >

> > Confirmation bias.

> >

> > No offense intended

>

> Well perfect ball mark towards toe and hit my 165 number with 8. **Don’t think I’d have gotten the same result from my MB 8.**

That's the bias. If you were talking about a 4i or 5i, I would agree. But at an 8i level, I'd go with Tom Wishon's post, that there's no effective forgiveness difference between an MB and CB from the 8i on down.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > @MBBG said:

> > > > > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> > > > >

> > > > > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > _**> Confirmation bias.

> > > >

> > > > No offense intended**_

> > >

> > > ... That is one very black pot calling the kettle black.

> >

> > I can imagine you'd like to think so, but you'd be wrong. LOL

> >

> > Look back to my post on the first page. I was a 7 when I switched to Pings. I was a 7 after a year with Pings, when I switched back. Where's the bias in that?

> >

> > I didn't even mention what happened over the six weeks after I'd switched back to Ram Tour Grinds. :)

>

> It's not like I'm playing Ping G's.. The Titleist CB is one of the smaller CB designs on the market. There's a bit of help packed in there though. 12 GIR each of the last two rounds and the rest very close if not on the fringe. 76 and 77. I can swing a club fine no issue playing blades but the help is there to be had.

Sounds like someone needs to work on their short game ;-)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @chisag said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @MBBG said:

> > > > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > > > >

> > > > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > > > >

> > > > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> > > >

> > > > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> > > >

> > >

> > _**> Confirmation bias.

> > >

> > > No offense intended**_

> >

> > ... That is one very black pot calling the kettle black.

>

> I can imagine you'd like to think so, but you'd be wrong. LOL

>

> Look back to my post on the first page. I was a 7 when I switched to Pings. I was a 7 after a year with Pings, when I switched back. Where's the bias in that?

>

> I didn't even mention what happened over the six weeks after I'd switched back to Ram Tour Grinds. :)

"It did happen with Golden Rams, though." Com'on Eddie I have been reading your confirmation bias posts fo 20 years and know you shoot 96 with GI's and 69 with MB's. ; )

> @mahonie said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > @chisag said:

> > > > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > > @MBBG said:

> > > > > > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > _**> Confirmation bias.

> > > > >

> > > > > No offense intended**_

> > > >

> > > > ... That is one very black pot calling the kettle black.

> > >

> > > I can imagine you'd like to think so, but you'd be wrong. LOL

> > >

> > > Look back to my post on the first page. I was a 7 when I switched to Pings. I was a 7 after a year with Pings, when I switched back. Where's the bias in that?

> > >

> > > I didn't even mention what happened over the six weeks after I'd switched back to Ram Tour Grinds. :)

> >

> > It's not like I'm playing Ping G's.. The Titleist CB is one of the smaller CB designs on the market. There's a bit of help packed in there though. 12 GIR each of the last two rounds and the rest very close if not on the fringe. 76 and 77. I can swing a club fine no issue playing blades but the help is there to be had.

>

> Sounds like someone needs to work on their short game ;-)

Yeah short game better on yesterday with the 76. That was with a forest snap hook resulting in 3 off the tee - made 6. Two birds. The 77 I did not putt or chip well.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @chisag said:

> > > > @NRJyzr said:

> > > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > > @MBBG said:

> > > > > > I’m one of those people who seem to have better results with thin soled irons regardless of perimeter weighting/deep CG/etc. I keep getting sucked into the “bigger clubhead lighter shaft” mantra only to get worsening results.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I think blade length is also an issue for me—the longer the blade the more opportunities there are for turf interaction issues, especially from uneven lies.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > *Overall though I say play what makes you happy and keeps you coming back to play. Screw what anyone else thinks or believes.*

> > > > >

> > > > > Pretty much this. I hit a perfect drive on the #1 HC hole at the local yesterday. Rarely do you have a short iron into the green. I hit a smooth 8 and caught it slightly in the toe and it was pin high. It went the distance I needed it to. With my blades I probably would've been short or right. Fine but I two-putted for par rather than having to scramble. That was another moment when I looked down and was glad I had the CBs.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > _**> Confirmation bias.

> > > >

> > > > No offense intended**_

> > >

> > > ... That is one very black pot calling the kettle black.

> >

> > I can imagine you'd like to think so, but you'd be wrong. LOL

> >

> > Look back to my post on the first page. I was a 7 when I switched to Pings. I was a 7 after a year with Pings, when I switched back. Where's the bias in that?

> >

> > I didn't even mention what happened over the six weeks after I'd switched back to Ram Tour Grinds. :)

>

> It's not like I'm playing Ping G's.. The Titleist CB is one of the smaller CB designs on the market. There's a bit of help packed in there though. 12 GIR each of the last two rounds and the rest very close if not on the fringe. 76 and 77. I can swing a club fine no issue playing blades but the help is there to be had.

... Here is the thing. A really good player can use any iron and play well. I can shoot close to the same score with my Z Forged or my wifes 588MT's. But I think most better players have found a sweet spot between the two. Maybe MB pw-8 and cb 7-4 or full CB or even CB pw-5 and something more forgiving in the long irons like a utility iron. Those of us that have been around long enough and started out with MB's then switched to a players iron know some days there will be absolutely zero difference in our scores playing MB's or CB's. But there are those days or even a few shots in a given round when we are a little off and really appreciate the forgiveness of a CB. I found it interesting that Davis Love III who has used MB's for as long as I can remember is now using AP2's on the Champions Tour.

I am a lower handicap player (under 7) that is experimenting with 919 HM irons right now. First off I am seeing lots of posts like "I feel more confident with SGI irons" and I am not in this camp. I feel confident with any club regardless if its a blade or a shovel and think most lower handicap players will agree with me.

After 8 rounds under my belt with SGI irons, stiffer flex and lighter shafts (part of my experiment) what I have noticed is my bad shots are not as bad as with my 680 blades... As a result I am hitting more greens percentage wise per round than with "Players" irons. Also want to point out that my proximity to the hole is pretty damn good with these irons. I am not getting any wild shots going left or right or "flyers" at all. Believe me or not I can actually control the short irons as well... Need to hit a 123 pitching wedge? No problem, just shorten my swing.. Need to hit a 140 nuked PW? No problem, just swing. Working these irons is no big deal either... Having a blast with these clubs.

Will these clubs improve my handicap? On a good day I bet these clubs would save at most 3-4 shots. On a day where I am on my game these clubs would be no different than hitting blades. There is a chance these clubs could lower my handicap by a stroke or two over an 18 month period but given the variables in golf, driving, chipping and putting there is no way I can 100% guarantee a handicap drop.

What I will say is these will not hurt my handicap at all and can only help. Love my blades and not getting rid of them but for now I am keeping these SGI irons in the bag.

> @"cheers big ears" said:

> Your handicap will come down if you get fit

Handicap may come down from technique improvement and practice, but I do not know anyone who lowered their scores by getting fit for clubs.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

So, I was looking at this review of the new Titleist irons, and it came with ball data for all five in the hands of the tester. The results with the MB are pretty consistent, while the T200 and T300 have some very low spin shots that don’t stop.

The sweet spot for this tester was the T100, as it had higher ballspeed without sacrificing descent or spin. But the MB looks like the second best of the bunch to me.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/new-titleist-irons-t-series-620-series/3/