2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

for the walkers --- carrying vs. push cart vs. ride

FEUO

With a full bag (14 clubs etc) only push cart/trolley works for me. A proper one (4 wheels)

Apart from that carrying with a short set of 4-8 clubs. And the less the better for me, I'm not weak by any means and I hit it miles - but I don't weight much myself.

Ideal for me is carrying a 3 wood, 5 iron, wedge and putter in a super lightweight bag and only a few balls and tees. To be honest I don't think having 14 clubs helps that much with the scoring parts or with the fun of it anyway apart from very specific courses - but anyone can adapt their game to play with less clubs anyway pretty easy.

> @caniac6 said:

> I also use a electric walking trolley. I have a remote control model. I use it on the manual mode around water, and sometimes, around greens. My biggest issue is finding a bag I like that doesn't twist.

Yeah, that can be a pain. My current bag isn't too bad but occasionally needs a twist to re-seat it. I'm waiting for a self driving trolley that uses GPS to follow in my footsteps. You can already get trolleys that will just aim to stay within a few yards of you but if you walk fast and go round the corner of a hazard they will just go in a straight line and could fall in. I'd also hope that such a trolley would know the boundaries of the greens and have the sense not to try and follow you on.

I dunno why no-one has produced such a trolley yet. The technology exists so it's just a matter of building the thing.

Some interesting comments about golf carts being cumbersome. Can't say I've ever noticed that, but then I've only ever used or seen three wheelers. I can't think of any time where a trolley (electric or push) was any kind of inconvenience when moving around a hole. I'll concede that sometimes you have to leave the cart near the green and carry two clubs (one for the chip and your putter) but it doesn't happen often. Most holes can be exited on either side so you can leave your trolley wherever you chipped from and just grab your putter.

My own feeling is that at least 80% of golfers in the UK use a trolley. 10% carry. 10% use a buggy. But it could be an even higher percentage using trolleys. Buggies in particular are quite a rare sight.

• Like 1

I play most of my golf on one of those hilly courses with lots of long walks between green and tee. Up until a couple of years ago, I walked and carried when the weather wasn't excessively hot, but as I got past 60 that became too much for me. Last summer I got myself an electric trolley, and I'm back to walking most of my rounds. For reference sake, I tracked one of my rounds with an app on my phone. The trolley went 5.7 miles, so I probably walked over 6 miles, with a total of about 800 feet vertical.

I have a MotoCaddy M3 Pro: https://www.motocaddy.com/uk/m3-pro-electric-trolley-28v

I'm lazy, and this thing makes walking 18 very enjoyable. I got it a little over a year ago, and I've probably used it for 80% of my rounds this year. The other 20% was riding in a cart, and the reasons for that were shotgun league/tournament, or invited a guest out that wanted to ride cart. I used to be a guy that mostly rode cart, but now I prefer walking.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Big fan of my Clic Gear push cart. Very durable and easy to push around the course. After using a push cart I noticed much less strain on my shoulders and not getting as tired by the end of the round. Still a great workout walking the course but easier on the shoulders and much easier to carry extra stuff too (re: waters, balls, etc.). Not a fan of riding at all and feel that it typically takes longer than walking.

I put them on my back.

But I don't carry every time nor everywhere. I also don't have a push cart either. Seems like you would have to steer it around things like greens and the steep backs of tee boxes where with clubs on my back I just walk.

One of the electric models that just follow you around like a lost dog or pack mule might be nice. Do they have models that automatically trail behind you and stop with the push of a button? That would be handy.

> @bordercitygolfer said:

> > @mguhler said:

> > carry every hole

>

> Hi Mike!

> Are there mountains in jersey? Or 6 mile hikes between holes?

>

My club in PA has plenty of hills. A few courses I play between PA and NJ have some decent hikes between green and tee. I prefer walking to riding.

Callaway Rogue TD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747 V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Odyssey Rahm Rossie 38"

Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade. I absolutely love my Clicgear! I am not a fan of courses that require mandatory motorized cart use and typically shy away from poorly designed courses that feature 100 yard walks between green and tee.

> @Sixcat said:

> Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade.

I agree. I can't carry my bag unless I want a very sore back after my round.

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

> @Sixcat said:

> Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade. I absolutely love my Clicgear! I am not a fan of courses that require mandatory motorized cart use and typically shy away from poorly designed courses that feature 100 yard walks between green and tee.

> @Roody said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade.

>

> I agree. I can't carry my bag unless I want a very sore back after my round.

>

>

Y'all must have never been a caddy. Seems more natural to me to carry it and walk upright than hunched over pushing.

> > @Sixcat said:

> > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade. I absolutely love my Clicgear! I am not a fan of courses that require mandatory motorized cart use and typically shy away from poorly designed courses that feature 100 yard walks between green and tee.

>

> > @Roody said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade.

> >

> > I agree. I can't carry my bag unless I want a very sore back after my round.

> >

> >

>

> Y'all must have never been a caddy. Seems more natural to me to carry it and walk upright than hunched over pushing.

What's the difference between caddying and playing? The bag still goes everywhere the player goes whether you are the player or someone else is the player! Furthermore, if you're "hunched over pushing" you're either freakishly tall or not doing it correctly! I'm 6'-1" tall with a Clicgear 3.0 and have never "hunched over" to push it.

> @Sixcat said:

> > @bordercitygolfer said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade. I absolutely love my Clicgear! I am not a fan of courses that require mandatory motorized cart use and typically shy away from poorly designed courses that feature 100 yard walks between green and tee.

> >

> > > @Roody said:

> > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade.

> > >

> > > I agree. I can't carry my bag unless I want a very sore back after my round.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Y'all must have never been a caddy. Seems more natural to me to carry it and walk upright than hunched over pushing.

>

> What's the difference between caddying and playing? The bag still goes everywhere the player goes whether you are the player or someone else is the player! Furthermore, if you're "hunched over pushing" you're either freakishly tall or not doing it correctly! I'm 6'-1" tall with a Clicgear 3.0 and have never "hunched over" to push it.

As a caddy growing up it seems more natural FOR ME to carry than push. I'm 6'2" and find that no matter the cart when I'm pushing up hill I'm hunched over. And going up and down hills is the main reason I don't push. Its just more work than its worth FOR ME.

> > @Sixcat said:

> > > @bordercitygolfer said:

> > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade. I absolutely love my Clicgear! I am not a fan of courses that require mandatory motorized cart use and typically shy away from poorly designed courses that feature 100 yard walks between green and tee.

> > >

> > > > @Roody said:

> > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade.

> > > >

> > > > I agree. I can't carry my bag unless I want a very sore back after my round.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Y'all must have never been a caddy. Seems more natural to me to carry it and walk upright than hunched over pushing.

> >

> > What's the difference between caddying and playing? The bag still goes everywhere the player goes whether you are the player or someone else is the player! Furthermore, if you're "hunched over pushing" you're either freakishly tall or not doing it correctly! I'm 6'-1" tall with a Clicgear 3.0 and have never "hunched over" to push it.

>

> As a caddy growing up it seems more natural FOR ME to carry than push. I'm 6'2" and find that no matter the cart when I'm pushing up hill I'm hunched over. And going up and down hills is the main reason I don't push. Its just more work than its worth FOR ME.

I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwest Virginia. My home club is elevated to say the least. Nothing for a 100 mile radius of me is flat. I don't have any issue pushing uphill or downhill. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. For me, it's more difficult to go up and down those hills with a bag strapped to my back.

Mid 60's and carry. Like BorderCity, I actually find a pushcart harder on my back than carrying a well balanced bag of 14. I am intrigued by the idea of the electric caddie that shadows you around the course, particularly when the heat and humidity kick in.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

> @Sixcat said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > @bordercitygolfer said:

> > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade. I absolutely love my Clicgear! I am not a fan of courses that require mandatory motorized cart use and typically shy away from poorly designed courses that feature 100 yard walks between green and tee.

> > > >

> > > > > @Roody said:

> > > > > > @Sixcat said:

> > > > > > Interesting to see people find push carts to be difficult on the body. I've been using some sort of push cart for more than 20 years now and find them infinitely more easy on my body than carrying my bag. Especially the more ergonomic models of the past decade.

> > > > >

> > > > > I agree. I can't carry my bag unless I want a very sore back after my round.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Y'all must have never been a caddy. Seems more natural to me to carry it and walk upright than hunched over pushing.

> > >

> > > What's the difference between caddying and playing? The bag still goes everywhere the player goes whether you are the player or someone else is the player! Furthermore, if you're "hunched over pushing" you're either freakishly tall or not doing it correctly! I'm 6'-1" tall with a Clicgear 3.0 and have never "hunched over" to push it.

> >

> > As a caddy growing up it seems more natural FOR ME to carry than push. I'm 6'2" and find that no matter the cart when I'm pushing up hill I'm hunched over. And going up and down hills is the main reason I don't push. Its just more work than its worth FOR ME.

>

> I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwest Virginia. My home club is elevated to say the least. Nothing for a 100 mile radius of me is flat. I don't have any issue pushing uphill or downhill. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. For me, it's more difficult to go up and down those hills with a bag strapped to my back.

+1, going up hill, lift the front wheel/lower the handle, downhill i don't know what to do, lol. Going back to hunched over pushing, that would go to a handle height problem I would think. Carrying a bag almost definitively puts you in more of a hunched position than pushing as you are required to offset the COG change by adding weight to the backside.

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

I used to always use a push cart, but now I carry as well. Last summer I was training for a backpacking trip and thought that if I got one of the Sun Mountain carry bags with the hip belt (I got the 4.5 zero g) I could play golf and train for my trip at the same time. I really like the hip belt on the zero g bag...it takes almost all the weight off the shoulders and puts them on the hips like a good backpack does. No back pain at all. I've really enjoyed carrying again since I got this bag. I do still use the pushcart on hot days though.

By the way, I'm 57 years old, so if any of you guys want to carry but think you're getting too old, this bag might be worth a try.

I use a Sunmoutain Microcart. I do ride about 5 times out of 30 rounds a year.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

> Y'all must have never been a caddy. Seems more natural to me to carry it and walk upright than hunched over pushing.

It very well might be. My back issues are probably in part caused by the fact that I am a software engineer, and I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day typing. Walking with the bag on my back just makes me very sore the next day.

I say do whatever works best for you.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

> @Roody said:

> > Y'all must have never been a caddy. Seems more natural to me to carry it and walk upright than hunched over pushing.

>

> It very well might be. My back issues are probably in part caused by the fact that I am a software engineer, and I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day typing. Walking with the bag on my back just makes me very sore the next day.

>

> I say do whatever works best for you.

Agreed. I do too much sitting at a comp all day too. Not 8 hrs, but a good 4-5. You may want to work on that. Nothing worse than back pain.

I think I'm going to get myself a nice carry bag for next year as the pull/push carts can be awkward for me as well. When renting the 2 wheel pull cart I'd pull the wheels right into my heel on occasion, and with the 3 wheel push cart I bought and am currently using it is definitely awkward to maneuver at times. Like it doesn't really turn, so your constantly lifting the front wheel and kind of jocky-ing it around. I can definitely understand how carrying and walking more upright would be more comfortable, when I push my cart I'm leaning forward and constantly keeping an eye on it, I always forget to release the brake and walk my gut into the handle lol. Gotta give carrying a try.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Carry and find it easier and actually play better. So many times when playing in a cart i find myself playing a shot i dont really want to play because i dont feel like walking back to the cart to switch out clubs. i think the game is better played for myself walking and carrying. i only play 10 clubs and have a Jones original bag so the walk is easy, #EnjoyYourWalk

> @andrue said:

> Some interesting comments about golf carts being cumbersome. Can't say I've ever noticed that, but then I've only ever used or seen three wheelers. I can't think of any time where a trolley (electric or push) was any kind of inconvenience when moving around a hole. I'll concede that sometimes you have to leave the cart near the green and carry two clubs (one for the chip and your putter) but it doesn't happen often. Most holes can be exited on either side so you can leave your trolley wherever you chipped from and just grab your putter.

>

> My own feeling is that at least 80% of golfers in the UK use a trolley. 10% carry. 10% use a buggy. But it could be an even higher percentage using trolleys. Buggies in particular are quite a rare sight.

Club car temp walk is the answer