2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

On 2/27/2024 at 7:23 PM, CarlLipbaum said:

Players that play super fast are just as annoying as players that play super slow. 

@klebs01 will love that one!

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

Golf is a "gentlemen's game."

Give me a break.

• Like 4

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

'If you think having to play out of some imperfect sand is unfair, you have completely underestimated your options.'

Patrick 'he said, she said' Reed, Hero World Challenge, 2019

• Haha 1

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

Anybody else find it somewhat hilarious that if you have to suffer some fool ahead of you leaving divots everywhere, not raking bunkers, not fixing ball or spike marks (in the past), yet the same fool in your group talking during a swing, moving around, and otherwise acting like a moron is not part of the beauty of the game?

Like you are just supposed to eat the steaming pile of dung in one case, but it is a problem in the other?  Why is it not beautiful in both cases?

• Like 1

If you spit on the golf course, you are officially disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

On 3/1/2024 at 10:23 PM, Chunkitgood said:

If you think having to play out of some ****heads footprint from the bunker is unfair, you have completely misunderstood the point and beauty of the game.

Golf is a gentleman’s game and requires that you strictly abide by the rules to the very greatest extent you are able to do so.

Correct, bunkers shouldn't have rakes.

• Like 3

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Im in the high 20s and can play 9 holes early in the AM in about 1 hour 5 mins. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

6 hours ago, Kai Slater said:

Unpopular opinion from me is that I don't bet when I play golf.  For whatever reason, when I play as a single and the course tries to pair me up with someone or make me join a group, the first thing the others will ask me is ..."so, how much are we playing for?" or something of that sort, assuming that I want to play for money.  I always tell that I don't want to bet, that I'm not good enough to put my money on the line, that I play just because I enjoy the game.

My usual group doesn't bet either. We play for pride and one-upmanship. I'd rather have bragging rites and a verbal abuse kicker than have a 30 dollar Nassau win.

Money isn't everything. Being able to needle your buddies is...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, McMunch said:

My usual group doesn't bet either. We play for pride and one-upmanship. I'd rather have bragging rites and a verbal abuse kicker than have a 30 dollar Nassau win.

Money isn't everything. Being able to needle your buddies is...

I have a golf buddy that I go head to head with... about every 10 days.  We bet a dime... no double-or-nuthin'... no skins... nothing.   It is a better battle than any you'll find in the Ryder Cup.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

14 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I think I'd laugh. I certainly wouldn't lose my mind and get mad. I'd just be glad I wasn't the reason you lost $200. 

But if you won $200 off me, better at least buy me a damn beer! And if that's not going to be a thing, throw me a crisp Andrew Jackson. I don't expect half the pot (b/c I didn't actually offer to risk anything), but hey, how 'bout a little something, ya know, for the effort, ya know? 😉 

Great response.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I think I'd laugh. I certainly wouldn't lose my mind and get mad. I'd just be glad I wasn't the reason you lost $200. 

But if you won $200 off me, better at least buy me a damn beer! And if that's not going to be a thing, throw me a crisp Andrew Jackson. I don't expect half the pot (b/c I didn't actually offer to risk anything), but hey, how 'bout a little something, ya know, for the effort, ya know? 😉 

Exactly, in the middle of this guys fit, I was trying to tell him "lets go to the bar! I'm buying" but it didn't work out. That is the other part of the bet of course, the $200 is just how this particular foursome has worked out a way to split dinner and drinks. This day one guy was sick. Whichever team wins pays for dinner so no one ever really wins anything, except for the waiter.

My travel golf buddy and I have an ongoing game and when we get paired with another twosome, we often play a round of "NPC Stableford". Where we each get a teammate who doesn't know it, and play a 4 ball. Me and this guy pay for "shop credit" on the other guys credit card. Towel, shirt, hat  etc. Its a good travel bet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

At my old club one of the biggest days of the year was Captain Day (considered one of the clubs 4 yearly najors). Back during my Captaincy year we organised a betting ring on all the competitors. Competitors and non competing members could bet on the competitors to win. The odds were stipulated by the head pro, who was also responsible for the pot. Half the winnings went to the person placing the bet, the other half of their winnings went to the clubs supported charity for the year as ultimately on of the Captains main responsibilities was to aid in fundraising for the year. It's amazing how handicaps become such an important factor in those situations. The "better" players eg low handicappers don't get much love compared to the 20 handicapper who's been in good form recently. lol

I actually managed to win the event the year following my captaincy, they had continued the odds and I was 12/1. I know the captain (my vice captain) who was in power that year placed £40 on me. He was very generous in the bar afterwards with me lol

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 11:56 PM, RmoorePE said:

Exactly, in the middle of this guys fit, I was trying to tell him "lets go to the bar! I'm buying" but it didn't work out. That is the other part of the bet of course, the $200 is just how this particular foursome has worked out a way to split dinner and drinks. This day one guy was sick. Whichever team wins pays for dinner so no one ever really wins anything, except for the waiter.

My travel golf buddy and I have an ongoing game and when we get paired with another twosome, we often play a round of "NPC Stableford". Where we each get a teammate who doesn't know it, and play a 4 ball. Me and this guy pay for "shop credit" on the other guys credit card. Towel, shirt, hat  etc. Its a good travel bet.

There's a group of guys at my club in England. They play every weekend. 20-25 guys throw 5 pounds in the pot and winner takes all. The winner also picks up the bar tab, which winds up being waaaaaaay more than they won, so winning is financially painful, but they all do their darnedest to win. Bragging rights are worth it. To them anyway...

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I know that this is likely unpopular, but I prefer the younger bro crowds to the wanna-be wall-street douchebags with their 1 dollar bets, fake laughs and otherwise elitist attitudes.  At least the younger ones are fun.  I can get along with anybody for the most part as long as they don't talk to me about religion, politics or Amway.

Screenshot2024-03-08at9_48_38AM.png.9a44ba7f4e6cbce416f2bc857cd024be.png

Screenshot2024-03-08at9_52_24AM.png.174b1b7e5f728182c0683416bf10cc51.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jda said:

I know that this is likely unpopular, but I prefer the younger bro crowds to the wanna-be wall-street douchebags with their 1 dollar bets, fake laughs and otherwise elitist attitudes.  At least the younger ones are fun.  I can get along with anybody for the most part as long as they don't talk to me about religion, politics or Amway.

Can we talk to you about cryptocurrency?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jda said:

Plenty of that with the dude bros. What they cleared on crypto as already mentioned, how many homes they closed last week, some new import they're drinking, whatever steaks they're firing up that you gotta try. Lots of elitism in those crowds as well. 

The loudest talking guys at the course are 99% of the time on one side or the other of that same coin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

The loudest talking guys at the course are 99% of the time on one side or the other of that same coin. 

Absolutely true.

The bros are more fun, though.  They don't seem to get upset if the cart girl has some tattoos showing or some other indignity that they feel that they are suffering at a muni or low-end club like a 5 hour Saturday round or somebody bringing their 4 year told to sit in the cart and pull the flag and stuff.  The bros around me roll with more stuff.  They usually will offer to buy your beer too - too bad that I do not drink when I play, right.  Some of those bros will actually bet - like stuff that hurts - they are willing to put skin the game.  They also like my Jordan golf shoes and I often golf in Jams World Hawaiian Shirt and they love those too - they never make half serious jokes about wardrobes and stuff.  Mostly, they often more tolerant of other people, like most younger people are - I adopted two kids from another country and also took in a young gay teenager when nobody else wanted her so I do not suffer the jokes and pointed remarks very well.

Anybody who is talking about their investments or wealth with strangers is a poser anyway - I don't care if they are old or young.  You just laugh and move on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

The drivable par 4 is a nothing burger. Only one I can think of that's any good. That's #10 in L.A. 

Funny thing...

The course I call home has a shortish par 4 that I used to consider drivable.  I have almost always taken a shot at it, and have gotten on or around the green more time than I can count.  But...  

...I only have two eagles on that hole.  Neither of those are from a putt or chip, rather hole outs from 40something or 50something yards out.

Irony.  Golf is filled with it.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors