2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

On 4/8/2024 at 4:23 AM, mat562 said:

If you are any good, you can beat 99% of the people who roll up with £3000 bags of clubs, all fitted on a trackman/simulator/supercomputer/whatever by a bloke charging £100 an hour, playing off four handicaps, with five clubs that are all 15+ years old stuffed in a pencil bag and a scuffed up Pro V1.

And, if you are ever going to be any good, you got good pretty quickly. 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Boooooo!  😁  You don't want to walk the same fairways that Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods walked?

Those guys fart just like me 🙂 so no

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

20 minutes ago, Anser said:

Those guys fart just like me 🙂 so no

I never go to concerts, Super Bowls, wedding ceremonies, baseball games, nice restaurants, fun campgrounds, easter egg hunts, national parks, hiking trails, rivers and fishing holes because everybody there farts just like me.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

12 minutes ago, stevesteven1 said:

If you don’t remove your cap to shake hands after you are a barbarian 

Perhaps some members of your foursome, during the hand-shaking ceremony, are just trying not to blind you by having the sun reflect off their bald heads...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, stevesteven1 said:

If you don’t remove your cap to shake hands after you are a barbarian 

Apparently you haven't seen how quickly that topic gets shut down, or at least moderated, around here. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

9 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Call me Conan! 

image.png.4b864a67f7df4979198fbae495c8569b.png

• Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Apparently you haven't seen how quickly that topic gets shut down, or at least moderated, around here. :classic_laugh:

Since it was brought up… (also, I didn’t know it was such a contentious topic. But not surprised considering a lot don’t accept opinions other than their own as acceptable 😊) I’d be more “upset” if someone didn’t look me in the eye while shaking as opposed to leaving their hat on. But either way, whatever.

1. Golf architecture guy is insufferable to be around.

2. Golfers who say things like I hit a "whipey fade" or it was a bit "toey" or all the other dumbass golf lingo are like the insufferable golf architecture people.

3. If you don't listen to music on a golf course, you are too old or stuck up, and I don't want to play golf with you. 

4. If you care what I use to mark my ball or it really affects you, you should purchase foursomes of tee times and play by yourself. 

5. If you play public golf courses, quit complaining about pace of play, we all know it's slow, you're probably contributing to it while not even realizing it. 

1 hour ago, N8dogg2669 said:

2. Golfers who say things like I hit a "whipey fade" or it was a bit "toey" or all the other dumbass golf lingo are like the insufferable golf architecture people.

3. If you don't listen to music on a golf course, you are too old or stuck up, and I don't want to play golf with you. 

4. If you care what I use to mark my ball or it really affects you, you should purchase foursomes of tee times and play by yourself. 

5. If you play public golf courses, quit complaining about pace of play, we all know it's slow, you're probably contributing to it while not even realizing it. 

Are these strong, moderate or mild opinions?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

I’m with all this except #3. 🙂

Here’s one that won’t be popular. There’s a line between effective profanity and being vulgar / awkward. I can’t define it, but I know it when I hear it. Find another way to express yourself. 

• Like 3

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

2 hours ago, N8dogg2669 said:

3.  If you don't listen to music on a golf course, you are too old or stuck up, and I don't want to play golf with you. 

If we're in the same group and I'm cranking Beethoven's 7th Symphony are you down with it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If we're in the same group and I'm cranking Beethoven's 7th Symphony are you down with it?

Lol wrong person to ask that to 🤣🤣🤣 I actually quite enjoy Beethoven and would not have an issue with that at all. Here’s a fantastic concert. I’m not the biggest fan of like death metal or heavy metal that I can’t understand anything but I’ll listen to just about anything. I think music on a golf course is perfect. 

1 hour ago, mshills said:

I’m with all this except #3. 🙂

Here’s one that won’t be popular. There’s a line between effective profanity and being vulgar / awkward. I can’t define it, but I know it when I hear it. Find another way to express yourself. 

@&#*+=#/#&@* 🤣

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

12 minutes ago, N8dogg2669 said:

Lol wrong person to ask that to 🤣🤣🤣 I actually quite enjoy Beethoven and would not have an issue with that at all. Here’s a fantastic concert. I’m not the biggest fan of like death metal or heavy metal that I can’t understand anything but I’ll listen to just about anything. I think music on a golf course is perfect. 

I played in a  Pro-Am last year and rode with the course superintendent, who asked, "Do you mind if I play some music, is there anything you'd like to hear?". I said, "How 'bout some classical? ". He dredged up one piece and never asked again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I played in a  Pro-Am last year and rode with the course superintendent, who asked, "Do you mind if I play some music, is there anything you'd like to hear?". I said, "How 'bout some classical? ". He dredged up one piece and never asked again. 

I think I just like noise. I don’t blare my music, I actually keep it to a respectable level, but I do enjoy music. I played Oakland Hills 2 years ago with my buddies dad who is a head pro and it’s the last round I played without music. 

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Just for the record... not a one genre guy.  Also totally enjoy:

- Cuban/Latin

- Nouveau Flamenco

- Blues

- Big band swing

- Tex Mex

- Reggae

- Outlaw Country

On 4/23/2024 at 8:13 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

I never go to concerts, Super Bowls, wedding ceremonies, baseball games, nice restaurants, fun campgrounds, easter egg hunts, national parks, hiking trails, rivers and fishing holes because everybody there farts just like me.

I don't idolize other people so playing golf someplace because they did seems weird.  

• Like 1

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

23 minutes ago, Anser said:

I don't idolize other people so playing golf someplace because they did seems weird.  

It's a great course... you are not required to idolize anyone.  Just play it for its uniqueness.

57 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

On #3, admittedly I'm from Scotland and it's not really done here (at all) but I can't imagine how or why music would add to a round of golf. You're outdoors, in nature. Listen to the wind rustling the trees, to the birdsong. Live life a bit more slowly, in the moment. Chat to your playing partners (about something other than golf architecture). 

I'm beating around the bush here - I'll come out and say it. If you want to listen to music on a golf course, I wouldn't want to play golf with you either.  And I am a music lover, everything from Bach to Sibelius to Kraftwerk to Radiohead to Prince to Black Sabbath to Bon Iver.  Even if I thought it somehow enhanced golf, I wouldn't presume that anyone else nearby wanted to listen to my tunes, and I would be mortified to think that someone on an adjacent fairway or green might be standing over a shot and able to hear the noise pollution (which is what this is). 

Fully agree and well put.

I'm someone who likes his music hard and loud; about 70% of my library is metal or some derivative thereof. On the course, however, I want my zen and escape from just about everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bag on a budget:

Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 10.5 (purchased used)

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

4UI: Turner 239

Irons (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

Coming soon: 3UI: Adams Pro DHy (assembly pending)

1 hour ago, ColinKelvin said:

On #3, admittedly I'm from Scotland and it's not really done here (at all) but I can't imagine how or why music would add to a round of golf. You're outdoors, in nature. Listen to the wind rustling the trees, to the birdsong. Live life a bit more slowly, in the moment. Chat to your playing partners (about something other than golf architecture). 

I'm beating around the bush here - I'll come out and say it. If you want to listen to music on a golf course, I wouldn't want to play golf with you either.  And I am a music lover, everything from Bach to Sibelius to Kraftwerk to Radiohead to Prince to Black Sabbath to Bon Iver.  Even if I thought it somehow enhanced golf, I wouldn't presume that anyone else nearby wanted to listen to my tunes, and I would be mortified to think that someone on an adjacent fairway or green might be standing over a shot and able to hear the noise pollution (which is what this is). 

I am in agreement. You've got a potential of 24 hours a day to listen to your music. You should be able to carve out 4 to 5 hours without it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoverTiger said:

Fully agree and well put.

I'm someone who likes his music hard and loud; about 70% of my library is metal or some derivative thereof. On the course, however, I want my zen and escape from just about everything.

Haha, exactly. I love some metal too, especially the 80s thrash/speed classics. I'll sometimes have it on LOUD in the car when driving to the course - and when I am about to turn into the parking lot it is switched off and I can go and enjoy my golf - which, bad though it usually is, is engrossing enough not to need a soundtrack.

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

7 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

my golf - which, bad though it usually is, is engrossing enough not to need a soundtrack.

There's the problem. Music sticks in your head, your swing on the first tee needs to be a waltz, not Black Sabbath.

• Haha 1