Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Β 

Funny thing...

Β 

The course I call home has a shortish par 4 that I used to consider drivable.Β  I have almost always taken a shot at it, and have gotten on or around the green more time than I can count.Β Β But...Β Β 

Β 

...I only have two eagles on that hole.Β  Neither of those are from a putt or chip, rather hole outs from 40something or 50something yards out.

Β 

Irony.Β  Golf is filled with it.

Β 

I was thinking more in terms of tournament play but yeah we have one hole that is 300 yards and downwind. If you hit a 10 yard window the ball can bounce onto green. best I've seen isΒ  a 65 y.o with a 8 footer for eagle. He missed of course but the hole screams birdie because green is bowl shaped. Center hit leaves an uphill to any pin. So layup & wedge works all too well.

Edited by Nard_S

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 10:34 AM, jda said:

I hate that golf is referred to as a Gentleman's game by some.Β  If being a Gentleman was ever more than a ruse beyond being privileged, people who think that they are Gentleman today probably do not even come close to a traditional or modern definition.

There are about as many gentlemen on a golf course as there are in a gentleman’s club. Β Β 

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5*

Ping G 3 wood 16*

Ping G15 20* & 23* hybrids

Ping G700 irons 5/UW

Ping Gorge Tour 56* & 60*

Putter Ping Zing 2 BeCuΒ 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

On 2/29/2024 at 5:34 PM, DoughBack18 said:

The main β€œTour Talk” forum on here is more toxic than an EPA superfund site.

Β 

(maybe not quite a golf opinion, but touching the fringes)

The instruction forum here is worse!

Β 

Oughta be called the destruction forum.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Β  Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

Β  PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Β  PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Β  Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

My unpopular opinion. This is a bad article unless the reader is a + handicap. I don't understand the fascination with playing really, really expensive and difficult courses for players that are not really good at golf. If the average male golfer truly is a 14-16 handicap, all of these courses will absolutely eat their lunch.Β 

Β 

image.png.ff5383a8a1f3188416b7cef798cfa665.png

Β 

Β 

skipping down to the list...

image.png.881e540f179f7c0be348253bdd7bc442.png

Β 

Pebble Beach/TPC Sawgrass - very expen$$$ive but yes, a once in a lifetime round sure. One has one of kind land/property and the other is just a crazy execution test. I am fine with these being on the list though they are not really that accessible, money wise. (really nothing on this list is)

Torrey Pines - This course is fairly overrated. Barely uses the canyon outside of a few holes. I don't get the obsession with TP.Β 
Bay Hill - Full disclosure, never played it. However, the article states "This classicΒ FloridaΒ layout offers generous landing areas off the tee with few trees",Β which I have to quibble with. To quote Christmas Vacation, "are you sure about that, Clark?" Generous based on what criteria (Hole #3, Hole #9, Hole #11, Hole #15 IMMEDIATELY spring to mind as scary, narrow shots)? For a PGA Tour stop, maybe. For a resort course, no. A lot of people will play this course from the 6,800 yd blue tees and absolutely get punched in the mouth.Β 
Harbour TownΒ - also super narrow with tiny greens. Some really good par 3s and the last 3 holes are amazing. I think this works GREAT as PGA Tour site to give the tour some variability but I cannot imagine a 10+ handicap has fun out here. Also, a lot of forgettable holes in the middle that could be anywhere in Florida/SC/Ga.Β 
PGA National - Champion - This is an execution test, plain and simple. It doesn't have fantastic views, it is a lot of retention ponds and houses that look the same. You are on defense all day. Add in a prevailing wind and the closing stretch is...frustrating. You could hit the ball great and still easily shoot in the mid 80s (ask me how I know). For me (this is my bad take afterall) that is not fun.
Innisbrook Resort - Copperhead -Β Also never played here. Again great test for professionals but it does not look fun for the average or even above average golfer. It just looks so so hard.Β 

Β 

• Like 4

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

36 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

My unpopular opinion. This is a bad article unless the reader is a + handicap. I don't understand the fascination with playing really, really expensive and difficult courses for players that are not really good at golf. If the average male golfer truly is a 14-16 handicap, all of these courses will absolutely eat their lunch.Β 

Β 

image.png.ff5383a8a1f3188416b7cef798cfa665.png

Β 

Β 

skipping down to the list...

image.png.881e540f179f7c0be348253bdd7bc442.png

Β 

Pebble Beach/TPC Sawgrass - very expen$$$ive but yes, a once in a lifetime round sure. One has one of kind land/property and the other is just a crazy execution test. I am fine with these being on the list though they are not really that accessible, money wise. (really nothing on this list is)

Torrey Pines - This course is fairly overrated. Barely uses the canyon outside of a few holes. I don't get the obsession with TP.Β 
Bay Hill - Full disclosure, never played it. However, the article states "This classicΒ FloridaΒ layout offers generous landing areas off the tee with few trees",Β which I have to quibble with. To quote Christmas Vacation, "are you sure about that, Clark?" Generous based on what criteria (Hole #3, Hole #9, Hole #11, Hole #15 IMMEDIATELY spring to mind as scary, narrow shots)? For a PGA Tour stop, maybe. For a resort course, no. A lot of people will play this course from the 6,800 yd blue tees and absolutely get punched in the mouth.Β 
Harbour TownΒ - also super narrow with tiny greens. Some really good par 3s and the last 3 holes are amazing. I think this works GREAT as PGA Tour site to give the tour some variability but I cannot imagine a 10+ handicap has fun out here. Also, a lot of forgettable holes in the middle that could be anywhere in Florida/SC/Ga.Β 
PGA National - Champion - This is an execution test, plain and simple. It doesn't have fantastic views, it is a lot of retention ponds and houses that look the same. You are on defense all day. Add in a prevailing wind and the closing stretch is...frustrating. You could hit the ball great and still easily shoot in the mid 80s (ask me how I know). For me (this is my bad take afterall) that is not fun.
Innisbrook Resort - Copperhead -Β Also never played here. Again great test for professionals but it does not look fun for the average or even above average golfer. It just looks so so hard.Β 

Β 

Played innisbrook last year. Definitely not worth the money. I would rate it about a 5. I suppose it was ok since I was on site for a work conference, but definitely not worth going out of your way for.Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The beauty with Torrey, Beth Page, etc. is that they play elite tournaments on courses where the locals can play for less than $50.Β  You don't have to join some fancy track or have a lot of money to enjoy or experience it.Β  I love Torrey - both courses.Β  You can just walk up there, put your name on the list and wait for somebody to cancel - if you are a single, it usually does not take long.Β  If you know a local, you can sometimes play for the local rate, but not always... depends on how much the old dudes in the shop are paying attention.

Β 

The rest of these are best viewed as privileged experiences and less about the round of golf.Β  I have played a few of these with guys up to 40 handicap and they had a great experience but probably not great golf.Β  You kinda have to separate the two, most likely.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2024 at 1:23 AM, mat562 said:

If you are any good, you can beat 99% of the people who roll up with Β£3000 bags of clubs, all fitted on a trackman/simulator/supercomputer/whatever by a bloke charging Β£100 an hour, playing off four handicaps, with five clubs that are all 15+ years old stuffed in a pencil bag and a scuffed up Pro V1.

You forgot to include golfers new to the game during covid that blew their covid checks on PXG clubs.

If playing a quick one or two ball on a course stuffed with 4 ballsΒ 

Β 

get to the green and THEN start practicing chips (before you address your actual ball )

Β 

you’ll get 6-8 chips in before the group behind appears can then pick up your practice balls and hole Β out normallyΒ 

On 4/19/2024 at 8:27 AM, LeftDot said:

"Dancing" stamp customizations areΒ wayΒ overdone.

Over personalization and attempted cute or cheeky text is overdone. Especially when (not if) you decide to sell that putter, it’s a tough sell with β€œPay Day” on the bumpers, your initials on the toe, and your kids names and birthdates on the sole.Β 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Β  Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

Β  PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Β  PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Β  Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

33 minutes ago, mshills said:

Over personalization and attempted cute or cheeky text is overdone. Especially when (not if) you decide to sell that putter, it’s a tough sell with β€œPay Day” on the bumpers, your initials on the toe, and your kids names and birthdates on the sole.Β 

Β 

Not to mention, unless you putt or wedge as well as the top tour pros just don't do it.Β  Spend that waste of time practicing.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I really don't like gambling.Β  Β 

Β 

But I got in with a group of good players years ago who always bet, not nickels and dimes, but not 100s on the line on each hole either.Β  Β I think the most I ever lost is about $120, but probably have bigger pay days.Β  I just eventually said to myself it will all even out by the end of the year and just don't worry about it.

Β 

Plus, we play a Wolf game most of the time, its a lot of luck, I have had big paydays shooting 81, and lost big shooting a 69, half the time it makes no sense......

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX ZipcoreΒ  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

51 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Β 

Not to mention, unless you putt or wedge as well as the top tour pros just don't do it.Β  Spend that waste of time practicing.

Β 

Similar.Β  My son, about to try out for the high school golf team, wanted to learn how to bounce a ball off his wedge face like Tiger Woods, to be cool.Β  I told him he'd be a lot cooler if he learned how to actually hit his wedges and shoot lower scores.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guys or gals being loud on adjacent fairways should be removed from the course
Guys or gals playing music of any kind should be removed from the course
All golf carts should be electric
All courses should be cart path only
Tee times should be based on playing ability

Tee times should be 20 minutes apart at all times

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

7 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

I know this is " booed off the stage" stuff but I've never had the desire to play Pebble Beach. When I fly to the west coast I prefer to play a bunch of great Seattle area courses.

Β 

Boooooo!  😁  You don't want to walk the same fairways that Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods walked?

17 hours ago, jmcm87 said:

Guys or gals being loud on adjacent fairways should be removed from the course
Guys or gals playing music of any kind should be removed from the course
All golf carts should be electric
All courses should be cart path only
Tee times should be based on playing ability

Tee times should be 20 minutes apart at all times

Β 

This is a rare, actually unpopular opinion on this thread. I agree with about 50% though

Taylormade R1 10Β°
Taylormade RBZ 15Β°
Titleist TSI3 20Β°

Ping S55 3-P
Vokey SM9 52Β° 58Β°

Bettinardi Studio Stock 9