2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

8 minutes ago, shankasaurus rex said:

This!!!!! 100 percent this. At least at the courses I play, the old dudes in a skins games are holding up play for more than any high-handicap player. I understand that $1 will buy a lot of Vienna sausages, pops, but a 1-foot putt doesn't need a read from both sides and 20 practice swings.

This is actually a good point. My group usually has a game going and I have noticed that it slows us down on the greens. We never really have POP issues, but a lot of times we have to make up ground from tee to green.

However, for most of us a game without any juice just isn't as much fun. Golfing without money on the line is just practice.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RmoorePE said:

This is actually a good point. My group usually has a game going and I have noticed that it slows us down on the greens. We never really have POP issues, but a lot of times we have to make up ground from tee to green.

However, for most of us a game without any juice just isn't as much fun. Golfing without money on the line is just practice.

The ones that I notice would NEVER play ready golf and hit if there is somebody still behind them even a foot.  If somebody is struggling and the other three are on the green, they do not putt or work while the struggling one is walking up.. they just stand there and wait.  They wait for a guy to run back to the cart to grab a different club before they hit their approach.  There is NO WAY that they would give up their advantage.  When you talk to them about it, it is all etiquette about "being out" and that they don't have to go ahead and play to speed things up.  But they had etiquette problems with the guy who brought his kid or girlfriend who are hacking it all over the place but also pick up on every hole to keep speed going.  For me, the high cappers are the most aware of what they do to the course... they are rarely a problem.

Lots of guys who play a game have this stupid insistence that maybe somebody behind them will miss a green or hit a terrible putt and they might not have to sweat out a three footer slows down the whole course.  ...and it only takes one of the four to slow everybody else down.

Pay attention sometime.  This can add up to a minute or two on every hole.

Edited by jda
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jda said:

The ones that I notice would NEVER play ready golf and hit if there is somebody still behind them even a foot.  If somebody is struggling and the other three are on the green, they do not putt or work while the struggling one is walking up.. they just stand there and wait.  They wait for a guy to run back to the cart to grab a different club before they hit their approach.  There is NO WAY that they would give up their advantage.  When you talk to them about it, it is all etiquette about "being out" and that they don't have to go ahead and play to speed things up.  But they had etiquette problems with the guy who brought his kid or girlfriend who are hacking it all over the place but also pick up on every hole to keep speed going.  For me, the high cappers are the most aware of what they do to the course... they are rarely a problem.

Lots of guys who play a game have this stupid insistence that maybe somebody behind them will miss a green or hit a terrible putt and they might not have to sweat out a three footer slows down the whole course.  ...and it only takes one of the four to slow everybody else down.

Pay attention sometime.  This can add up to a minute or two on every hole.

Amatures not playing 'ready golf' should be a crime. It should be a clearly stated rule at every single public course on the planet. I don't necessarily think it has to do with gambling all the time, but the fact some are just crazy rule followers and want to play like they are on the Tour because 'that's what the pros do.' Let's be honest too, 99% of people are not good enough golfers to have going in order make any impact on their round or provide any benefit to them specifically for scoring. Whether I make or miss a 10 ft. putt had nothing to do with my partners ball being marked 2 ft. from the hole or off the green entirely. 

2 hours ago, RmoorePE said:

If you notice it I would bet groups behind you do and think you have POP issues

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

There should be a shot clock on every green for the amount of time you have to hit your putt.   Also those sweet lulu joggers you have on,  makes you look like a little high school girl on her way to starbies for her 14th nine dollar coffee of the week 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

My unpopular opinions would be:

1) Yes, you can play too fast. Maintaining a good pace of play is one thing. Playing utterly crap just for the sake of finishing in 2 and a half hours is just silly. or even if you play well, its still silly.

2) Youre not better at golf because you hit a draw.

3) Youre not better at golf because you play blades and clubs with bag appeal

4) Limiting the ball is a solution to a non existent problem

5) Banning the belly putter was a solution to a non existent problem

6) Golf is popular with people it really shouldnt be popular with, who really shouldnt be out there. I can explain who

7) Riding around a course in a cart is bullxxxx

8 ) People who wear shorts all year, buy a pair of trousers you absolute prunes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

On 2/2/2024 at 3:42 PM, GowerND11 said:

I get it with you being in Norway and your short season. With that said, I am between an 11 and 12, and three of my buddies range from 13-17. That is clearly more than your 30 cap. But despite these "high caps" we regularly get through a round in 3:30 if others in front of us don't slow the whole course down. 

Hence the unpopular opinion :-).

I totally acknowledge there are high cappers that play quick, efficient ready golf, but in this new era of golf, those are getting fewer and fewer. I have no problems with them taking their time on off-peak hours at the club - hey they need to get their practice in to get better, but using prime time tee slots to hack around is in my admittedly grumpy opinion not the time for that.

Like I said - alternative is to play Stableford on the weekends.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

Duplicate post - deleted. Sorry.

Edited by vtpachyderm

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Multiple post - deleted.

Edited by vtpachyderm

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

1) Golf is becoming to casual (Im a gatekeeper).

2) If you're bad at golf, take a drop and stop looking for the ball.

3)Taylormade and Callaway sell us the same product over and over again.

4) Get fit for a golfball (It has the most tech in golf).

5)Good Golfers should stop complaining about hitting a bad shot... ( Bro Its 5 feet away from the pin) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JesusVillalobos said:

1) Golf is becoming to casual (Im a gatekeeper).

2) If you're bad at golf, take a drop and stop looking for the ball.

3)Taylormade and Callaway sell us the same product over and over again.

4) Get fit for a golfball (It has the most tech in golf).

5)Good Golfers should stop complaining about hitting a bad shot... ( Bro Its 5 feet away from the pin) 

1) "too" (I'm a wanna-be English major)

2) If I had your money I'd burn mine.

3) Yeah, so what's your point ? :classic_rolleyes:

4) NOT an unpopular opinion - just not followed very often.

5) Yeah, but my previous shot was only 3 feet from the pin. :classic_blush::classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Top ten hints for a doofus-free golf course (things I've said with my inside voice at various times, each prompted by something I observed during a round):

1. Holding your finishing pose for 10 seconds is not really necessary. I get that you're proud of the lesson you just got from Coach YouTube this morning, and you're rockin' your new Blue Steel follow-through silhouette, but there probably isn't a golf magazine photographer lurking in the bushes.

2. A club twirl after you just badly sliced your shot into a lake may not be the best look. It would be like a quarterback spiking the ball in the endzone - after he's been tackled for a safety. Great sentiment, weirdly wrong time.

3. What you write on a scorecard really is, in fact, supposed to bear at least some relation to what you've been doing on the course. It's kind of a golf tradition thingy. There's no hole on the planet where a 9 is a bogey. "Out of the trap" is technically not the definition of a stroke - if it takes three tries to do it. It think there's a book somewhere that talks about stuff like this.

4. If you are literally standing on the 100 yard marker looking at a pin in the center of the green, your laser rangefinder is not all that necessary, now is it?

5. If you are a single, and my foursome is ahead of you and waiting for 10 minutes on every tee box, because the whole course is backed up in front of us, hitting into us is probably not going to speed us up (though being like that may explain why no one wants to play with you). It's 10AM on a public course on a Saturday morning in June. You aren't going to have a two and a half hour round. Chill. Download Netflix on your phone or something.

6. If you were actually good enough at golf to give advice, you'd know better than to give it when it isn't asked for. 

7. Rake the damn trap. Rake the damn trap. Rake the damn trap. Rake the damn trap. Rake the damn trap. Rake the damn trap. Rake the damn trap. Rake the damn trap. 

8. That's someone's yard. It is private property. You can tell by the fence with the "No Trespassing" sign. That flower garden is OB. Yes, they understand they bought a house next to a golf course and balls may sometimes come into their yard, but "next to" is the key phrase here. It is still their property. They are already thinking about getting a Rottweiler. I think in Florida and Texas they could probably legally shoot you. It's just a golf ball. Breathe out and let it go.

9. Granted, "Cart Path Only" is a truncated sentence clearly missing a verb, which may be why you're confused. It's part of a Secret Golfer Code. It means "It's been raining off and on for three days, the course is soggy and we don't want our fairways to get chewed up by yahoos like you, so please do us a solid and only drive your cart on the path". I mean seriously, the ball's 12 feet away. You had to walk farther than that to get to the clubhouse from your car. 

10. Finally, yes, the cart girl has heard that line before. Like, about a thousand times. Golf is unfortunately full of terms suggestive to the crude and feeble minded. Ball, shaft, stick, hole. Do you actually think you've come up with something new and clever? C'mon man, she's a GenZ college student. You're a 54 year old GenX bald fat guy. She secretly loathes you, but will smile politely because tips help with tuition. Have some respect. Don't make her be all:

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Here's one that made me think after my son brought it up comparing golf equipment to table tennis equipment and I initially was a bit offended by it, but it kind of makes sense.

Custom fitting/variety in equipment is not about optimization, but more about damage control regardless of level. He was insinuating that rather than try to change or 'fix' some flaws in the swing, you try to find equipment that minimizes the effects of those flaws. Especially true with putters which is by far the most easy to practice and find a repeatable stroke, yet there are so many different types of putters out there.

• Like 1

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

11 hours ago, st1800e said:

No, it’s a Jeopardy answer, question is “where can we drive our cart today?” 
😉

Wouldn't that be, "What is cart path only?"

• Like 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

Unpopular opinions for the forum

1.  I suck enough to have to spend energy caring about someone else's swing, music, what you wear, drinking, conversation. As long as you take care of the course you're fine.

2. Golf carts are good, playing in Florida summers I would struggle to walk then go play / take care of my kid. Also the way courses are designed here I still get about 5 miles walking while riding. 

3. Too many of us would rather tell new golfers what to do, rather than explain to them what to to do. You retain more info when explained and you don't come off as an douchecanoe that way making others get defensive. 

• Like 1

Golfers spend too much energy concerned about what other golfers are doing:  how they are dressing, what they are talking about on the range, what kind of irons someone else is playing.

If your music is quiet enough that it doesn't disturb me, I'm good.

If you don't blow smoke in my grill, leave butts on the ground, or ash on the greens and tee boxes, I'm good.

If you get hungry for sunflower seeds, as long as you don't spit the shells everywhere, I'm good.

Golf is a sport.  It's 85 degrees and 88% humidity?  If you're not wearing shorts you are crazy!

Emulating TW with the mock collar shirt like it's 2002?  All good, you do you.

Want a beer during the round?  Cool.  Want 18 beers?  NOT COOL.

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 2/1/2024 at 6:49 AM, smoova said:

I don't disagree.  Do you think golfers would be willing to pay the exact same rate for a 15-hole round that they do for an 18-hole round?

Not a chance. If we have a choice of 2 different courses where one is 15 and the other 18 but both are charging the same rate, we're never playing the 15. And you know that's how it would go. You can cut 3 holes off the course but nobody's lowering their rates to match.

As to golf cart hostility, that's often the only time you get to really chat with who you're playing with assuming that matters to you. Plus if we're a foursome and the other 3 insist on riding I'm not going to lone wolf it even if I would (and do) prefer walking. Might as well go out as a single. Besides, if it's the exercise angle you're looking for, I've counted steps walking vs riding and the difference is less than 20%. Park your car a half mile up the street or take a 20 minute walk that evening and you'll break even.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PuffyC said:

As to golf cart hostility, that's often the only time you get to really chat with who you're playing with assuming that matters to you.

The guys I play with are usually all walkers.  If I want to chat with one guy I'll walk alongside him as he's on his way to his ball, off to the right, in the rough.  I'll veer off with 50 yards to go to get to my ball, left center of fairway.  I'm hitting my ball 10 seconds after he hits his ball.  And we got in some good conversation.

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down