MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

On 2/27/2024 at 8:04 AM, Rearviewmirror said:

Has anyone returned their LAB putter to get it re-balanced? What was your experience? Considering going a couple of degrees flatter...

I had my link rebalanced after I changed the grip.  Took less than a week to get back after they received it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

?

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

6 minutes ago, tilasan said:

I had my link rebalanced after I changed the grip.  Took less than a week to get back after they received it.

Awesome. I just dropped mine off so hoping I might only be out of action for a week or so. The difficult question is whether I risk a round with a toe hang putter or just wait it out so I don't re-torque myself haha!

• Like 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

3 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

How much different was the grip. I’ve heard within 20 grams no need for rebalance. How could you tell it was out of balance. Can you feel any difference now. 

So originally, I had my link built with the superstroke tour 2.0.  Realized I liked the tour 2.0 XL grip better. I have heard everyone say within 25 grams it will not change the balance.  I have also heard the opposite where any change can alter the balance.  Anyways, I changed the grip to the tour 2.0 XL myself, both grips are similar in shape but the XL is longer and weighs 77 grams compared to 55 grams of the tour 2.0.  After changing the grip, I immediately could feel the difference (torque) of it not being balanced.  Yes, the putter still balanced toe up on a flat surface but since the putters are lie angle balanced that is not a true test of it being balanced.  I knew the tour 2.0 xl grip was the one, so I just chalked it up as an expensive mistake and had it rebalanced.  Once I got it back, I could immediately tell the difference of the no torque compared to before rebalancing. I love to tinker and change grips but doing it on LAB putters is a mistake.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

?

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

2 minutes ago, tilasan said:

So originally, I had my link built with the superstroke tour 2.0.  Realized I liked the tour 2.0 XL grip better. I have heard everyone say within 25 grams it will not change the balance.  I have also heard the opposite where any change can alter the balance.  Anyways, I changed the grip to the tour 2.0 XL myself, both grips are similar in shape but the XL is longer and weighs 77 grams compared to 55 grams of the tour 2.0.  After changing the grip, I immediately could feel the difference (torque) of it not being balanced.  Yes, the putter still balanced toe up on a flat surface but since the putters are lie angle balanced that is not a true test of it being balanced.  I knew the tour 2.0 xl grip was the one, so I just chalked it up as an expensive mistake and had it rebalanced.  Once I got it back, I could immediately tell the difference of the no torque compared to before rebalancing. I love to tinker and change grips but doing it on LAB putters is a mistake.

Ok. Thanks for the rundown. I changed grips to wristlock but I think I am only about 10g lighter give or take. I can’t really feel much diff putting. But of course wondering if there is a difference. 

On 1/26/2024 at 6:44 PM, Jdudley13 said:

Has anyone switched their lab mezz to the lab pistol grip? Saw it on their site and am really intrigued. 

It has been a game changer for me.  Love the shape of the pistol grip just don't love the white grip color.  Stains so fast and I wipe my grips down after every round.  Wish they would come out w/a black version of the Pistol Grip. 

43 minutes ago, 2th Dr said:

It has been a game changer for me.  Love the shape of the pistol grip just don't love the white grip color.  Stains so fast and I wipe my grips down after every round.  Wish they would come out w/a black version of the Pistol Grip. 

My thoughts exactly

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ GD AD-DI 7X
Taylormade SIM TI 15* w/ GD AD-DI 8X

Srixon u85 2-Iron w/ Dynamic Gold X100
Ping Blueprint S 4-W w/ KBS $Taper 125
Ping s159 50s/Ping Glide 4.0 54s/Vokey SM9 60T
L.A.B. Mezz 1

Titleist ProV1

On 3/6/2024 at 1:04 PM, danyem1 said:

I just did an online fitting and they let me know I should do a 71 degree lie angle for a DF 2.1. Typically, my issue is my toe being too far up.  Currently using a Taylormade Spyder with a standard lie and the toe is up a bit much(attached image) .  Shouldn't I have a flatter lie angle like 69 or 67?

image.png.4f05d8744cae7333312e4b826d4ea110.png

If the toe is up ... send another vid or ask they why they chose 71? I think the standard on a Spyder is 70. Looks like your toe is up

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

2 hours ago, TonyRo said:

I have seen in other online fittings that LAB will occasionally suggest different lie angles to encourage better eye positions, that may be the case here - hard to tell! 😁

This is true, they recommended that I go shorter in my LAB in order to offset what would've been a really flat lie angle. 

I have a golf trip in a couple of weeks and I’ll hopefully have my DF3 by then.  However, I’m concerned about the putter getting damaged by the American Airlines.  I have a club glove soft cover bag and a stiff arm and I’ve never had issues before but I’ve also never traveled with a “big” mallet before.

Has anyone had issues with their DF 2.1 or DF3?  I’m considering taking a smaller putter because I’d be pretty upset if my custom DF3  gets damaged within the first week or two

18 minutes ago, 5yddraw said:

I have a golf trip in a couple of weeks and I’ll hopefully have my DF3 by then.  However, I’m concerned about the putter getting damaged by the American Airlines.  I have a club glove soft cover bag and a stiff arm and I’ve never had issues before but I’ve also never traveled with a “big” mallet before.

Has anyone had issues with their DF 2.1 or DF3?  I’m considering taking a smaller putter because I’d be pretty upset if my custom DF3  gets damaged within the first week or two

I have traveled with different putter because of this in the past.  If you really want it for the trip, just carry it on. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

1 hour ago, justl2003 said:

This. You're allowed to bring a putter on an airplane believe it or not. Also, the putter is not going to be bigger than your driver. The stiff arm will be plenty to protect it.

Thanks, I’m more worried about the putter head hanging over the side of the bag and someone just throwing my bag so the putter head hits ground hard enough the damage the club.

I didn’t know you could bring a putter onto the plane

• Like 1

I'm here to post two things:

1. I'm about to order a LAB, my buddy is buying one too. 

2. The whole lie angle is 'somewhat' overrated. 

#2 -> The fitter was going on that a 1º lie angle equates to a 1º difference in the direction for the ball. Now I'm no mathematician, but that's just wrong.

For one, Kronos has a video on this whree they use a 4º face and 5º of lie angle. This results in 0.4º change in the face angle. That's a lot less already and those numbers are much bigger then for me.

I've made a little Sketchup where I took a 3º lofted face and gave it 1º of an upright lie angle. To my astonishment this results in just 0.114xº of change in the face angle, that would equate to a whopping 0.36" deviation on a 15' putt. (Or 19mm on 10meters for those not using freedomunits, like myself)

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

12 hours ago, TheMagicStinger said:

Despite what our fittings originally said has anyone tinkered with other lie angles? I find my needs becoming more and more upright…

It's tough to tell - putted my best with LAB's original DF in 2017-2020. It was at 68. Other putters have been 70-71 but I've been inconsistent with them. Looking at my remote fitting vid with a 70 deg lie putter, I arch my wrists slightly, grip at about 34 inches on a 35 inch putter, and the toe is off the ground. I arched my wrists even more after looking at the vide and had good results. LAB said 67 would work in my setup position.

I believe your lie angle depends on your wrist position, position on grip, your position away from and over the ball, your height, posture, etc. You need to find the setup that works for you, and then get the correct lie angle.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

6 hours ago, Floris said:

#2 -> The fitter was going on that a 1º lie angle equates to a 1º difference in the direction for the ball. Now I'm no mathematician, but that's just wrong.

This is obviously complete poppycock. 🤣 The effect of lie angle on face angle (which is the primary influence on start direction) drops continuously as loft decreases. As a simple thought experiment, imagine a zero degree loft plane - you can recognize quickly that lie angle would have zero effect and you can rotate that plane "toe" up or down and nothing happens. Similarly, imagine something really steep, e.g. a 75 degree wedge or something. As you continually rotate it toe up you can imagine how extreme the leftward face bias gets quite quickly. See more here: https://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/lie1.php 

For a putter, I'm kind of under the impression that any specific lie angle is mostly to sole the putter properly when the player is in their correct setup. You can also reverse the way you think about that and view it as the proper lie angle actually places your body (e.g. eyeline over the ball) in the correct spot using the sole of the putter as a gauge. 

Edited by TonyRo
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:30 AM, TheMagicStinger said:

Despite what our fittings originally said has anyone tinkered with other lie angles? I find my needs becoming more and more upright…

Thats true for me as well. Mine is already relatively upright but i now always want my hands even higher and less arc in my stroke.

thats why I want to try a 79.5* broom

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Anyone having issues with their DF3 headcovers?  I just received my putter and the headcover can hardly close.  Only one magnetic closure really works.  The other just flops about.  I don't think there would be any way for it to stay attached when riding in the back of a cart or walking the course.  Seems as if the entire cover is just made slightly too small.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcbjr said:

Anyone having issues with their DF3 headcovers?  I just received my putter and the headcover can hardly close.  Only one magnetic closure really works.  The other just flops about.  I don't think there would be any way for it to stay attached when riding in the back of a cart or walking the course.  Seems as if the entire cover is just made slightly too small.

I noticed this too. I have to force it close, and it will still unfasten when I pull it out on the next green.

Taylor Made SIM 10.5 HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
TM SIM2 MAX 3W HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
TM P790 UDI 2iron Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Gen III 4-7 0311P, 8-GW 0311T Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Forged 55, 60 Project X LZ 6.0
PXG Spit Fire
Titleist Pro-V1/PXG Xtreme Premium

• 4 weeks later...