2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

Been a great putter most of the last 25 years but I think the yips are trying to creep in.  I just got a Lab Mezze Max same as Lucas Glovers and been tinkering on a couple of practice greens.  Wow this thing is AMAZING.   I can see why this has helped LG and BL as well as AS.  Got my first real round with this piece of art tomorrow. Can't wait.  I've had rounds of 21, 24, 25 putts as well as dozens of rounds under 30 putts with various putters.  But lately been having a hard time with 4-6' putts and not making 12-15 footers like I used to.  The beauty of the LAB Broomer is that it gets the ball started on line much easier as well as speed control is better for me.  

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Did a Lab remote fitting a couple months ago and decided to wait to place an order. During the 20% off outlet sale I decided to order a somewhat custom Mezz Max with my specs. I was really leaning towards the DF, but that model wasn't available on the outlet in my specs. Should be receiving it next week, pretty quick shipping (about 2 1/2 weeks). Excited to experience the tech and see what all the hype is about.

Black head

34 inch length

67 degree lie

Accra black shaft

1.5 forward press grip

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 10:56 AM, GDTBATH said:

Folks, at 45, I finally have a case of the yips. Grinding through it, but I've given up the old Newport 2 I used for twenty years and switched to an Odyssey. I think I may grab a Lab to try. Are they generally available at Golf Galaxy or PGA Tour Superstore, or can you only get them online? I'm going to pick and choose between the hundred plus pages of this thread to see what models people recommend, but any quick recommendations? 

I'd ideally like to try something before just buying online, hence why I asked if shops have them so I can roll a few and get a feel for them. Thanks! 

Sorry, I'm sure some of these are repetitive questions, but it's a long thread with many pages haha. 

If you are used to the Newport, maybe try the Link1 first. If you are looking at a radical change, DF2 or One of the Mezz’s should be considered 

On 12/14/2023 at 10:56 AM, GDTBATH said:

I've given up the old Newport 2 I used for twenty years and switched to an Odyssey. I think I may grab a Lab to try. Are they generally available at Golf Galaxy or PGA Tour Superstore, or can you only get them online? I'm going to pick and choose between the hundred plus pages of this thread to see what models people recommend, but any quick recommendations? 

I bought a Link coming from a Scotty Newport 2 and at first it felt like a great move as the top line and shape etc was very similar. Unfortunately for me the results haven't quite followed after the novelty wore off. I'm now waiting for delivery of a Mezz 1 which I had rolled really well at PGA Superstore and honestly would have gone with if I could have gotten over the look. The Link is very streaky for me, and where it hurts the most is long lags as I will routinely leave them 6-7ft short or the same distance past. I'll be excited to see how the Mezz feels by comparison.

You can see what LAB putters your local PGASS has in stock, and I would recommend trying them all to see what you like. A couple of caveats:

1) It'll probably depend how close to "standard" your lie/length needs are as to whether rolling the stock PGASS spec putters will be representative. I noticed a massive difference in putt accuracy/distance control once I got my lie/length as specced. You can submit a video for LAB's free online fitting recommendation here, with no requirement to purchase afterwards (if you're miles off of their standard 34"/35" 69º lie that'll maybe tell you if a PGASS visit is worthwhile - https://labgolf.com/remote-fitting/

2) You are unlikely to find any of their custom shafts in store at PGASS - consensus seems to be Accra shaft is definitely worth the upgrade on standard length putters (i.e. non-armlock or broomstick), but that the Accra shaft is too whippy on the really long putters so you may need to go LA Golf or TPT if you want a very stiff shaft on the longer putters. I really like the Accra shaft on my Link.

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

The new addition just arrived! Loving it so far, hoping I can get out on the course tomorrow weather permitting.

IMG_1610.jpg.7c19119a5f934e3717e411dfb20eead7.jpgIMG_1611.jpg.558a95e2826e0b2d91db6a982c4e4b62.jpgIMG_1612.jpg.0077487006fc82ef2070129dd89d4838.jpgIMG_1613.jpg.755306839ac5d8afe5d10e1da498b4ff.jpg

• Like 3

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf Mezz1

1 hour ago, Rearviewmirror said:

The new addition just arrived! Loving it so far, hoping I can get out on the course tomorrow weather permitting.

IMG_1610.jpg.7c19119a5f934e3717e411dfb20eead7.jpgIMG_1611.jpg.558a95e2826e0b2d91db6a982c4e4b62.jpgIMG_1612.jpg.0077487006fc82ef2070129dd89d4838.jpgIMG_1613.jpg.755306839ac5d8afe5d10e1da498b4ff.jpg

Is that the pistol grip? How do you like it?

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 4-6, Z Forged II 7-9 - PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser 

Titleist Pro V1

12 hours ago, MerryTex said:

Is that the pistol grip? How do you like it?

It is! I haven't rolled it on the course yet, but I really like it. It's definitely a bit fatter than I was expecting (coming from a Scotty and LAB Link) but glad I went for this instead of the even fatter press grip. Will get out on the course today so I'll see how it performs. I love the texture and shape of it so far.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 3:29 PM, Rearviewmirror said:

Just got a red one myself as well!  Received it yesterday.  Rolled a few putts indoors but taking it out to the course today.

thumbnail_IMG_0724.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0725.jpg

• Like 2

Has anyone compared the Accra shaft to the TPT shaft? I'm probably going to do a custom MEZZ or Max in the summer time, but I'm still trying to decide on the shaft.

I'll keep sifting through this thread to see what I can find. 

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, MerryTex said:

Has anyone compared the Accra shaft to the TPT shaft? I'm probably going to do a custom MEZZ or Max in the summer time, but I'm still trying to decide on the shaft.

I'll keep sifting through this thread to see what I can find. 

I had a Mezz Max with the Accra and now have a Mezz with the TPT. To me, they feel similar but the TPT gives a little more feedback on mishits. The Accra has a course texture while the TPT is smooth and has a subtle pattern (a little like camouflage). If I bought another one, it would be hard for me to decide which one to install.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wchahn said:

I had a Mezz Max with the Accra and now have a Mezz with the TPT. To me, they feel similar but the TPT gives a little more feedback on mishits. The Accra has a course texture while the TPT is smooth and has a subtle pattern (a little like camouflage). If I bought another one, it would be hard for me to decide which one to install.

If money were not the concern, I would go TPT all day.  It is the most stable, predictable, and precise shaft out there, in my opinion.  It won’t punish you on mishits, but the superior feel it gives will let you know just where on the face you struck the ball.  You will become a better putter with the TPT shaft as you dial in your stroke according to the feedback it gives.  I never thought that upgrading a putter shaft would make that much of a difference, but I am a believer now.  It is a worthy upgrade in my opinion. 

• Like 2

I’m curious if anyone knows…. At what point does changing the angle of your stroke negate the effects of the putter?

For example, I was fit for 70* lie, but I set up at 67*-68* (by my own calculations). Do I lose the benefit of the putter “swinging itself”? At what point do you lose the positive effects of Lie Angle Balance? 1*? 2*? 4*?

I’d be interested to know if anyone has an answer. 

Ping G430 LST 9° w/ GD AD-VF 7 TX
Taylormade SIM TI 15° w/ GD AD-DI 8X

Srixon u85 2-Iron w/ MMT 100
Ping Blueprint S 4-W, Ping s159 50°S w/ KBS $Taper 125
Ping Glide 4.0 54°s, Vokey SM9 60°T with Modus 125 Wedge
L.A.B. Mezz 1 w/ACCRA

Titleist ProV1 / AVX / Z-Star ♦

On 12/19/2023 at 7:22 AM, Rearviewmirror said:

It is! I haven't rolled it on the course yet, but I really like it. It's definitely a bit fatter than I was expecting (coming from a Scotty and LAB Link) but glad I went for this instead of the even fatter press grip. Will get out on the course today so I'll see how it performs. I love the texture and shape of it so far.

FWIW, I was told by LAB that the pistol grip is actually fatter than the Press grip (well... the 1.5 anyway) in the butt. The lower part of the grip isn't as wide, of course.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, johnsomp said:

Sam was on the Golf Smarter podcast to introduce the new putter!

I listened to his 2 previous appearances here.  The host seems nice but not the most knowledgeable about golf.  The podcast should be called “Casual Golf Fan Talk”.  

Either way, gonna listen to this one too. 

My putting woes continue with the Mezz unfortunately... I've just lost all touch from 15+ feet out. Had four three putts today. It's almost always leaving the first putt way short and I just can't seem to find my touch for initial longer putts. The affliction seems to hit on ANY green speed, and I'm at a bit of a loss to fix it.

Putting thumbs off, soft hands, and letting the club pendulum to no avail. The Mezz is definitely helping my stamping out some of the short misses I had with the Link, but I feel like we're squarely in operator error territory here... 😞

• Like 1

Extensive testing (3 rounds each of Scott Fawcett’s putting combine) and some subjective observations have led me to choose the DF 2.1 over the Mezz Max and Link. I wanted the Link to work, but I just could not hit center face, and the numbers don’t lie either. I love the feel of the Link when I hit it perfect. 

The Mezz just did not feel right to me. I opted for the heavier head, which may have been a mistake as I felt like the feedback was muted compared to the DF 2.1. I’m not sure if it’s the Mezz or the heavier weight. 

The technology works. I think it works best in the DF as I felt it was easier to let the putter do its thing. Feedback was great with the TPT. Could still tell how far from center I hit it, but the ball would still roll true on the mishits. Distance control was best with the DF as well. 

Stats from the putting combines:

DF 2.1 average strokes: 31.33

DF 2.1 average speed ratio: 1.32

Mezz Max average strokes: 33.67

Mezz Max average speed ratio: 0.98

Link average strokes: 33.00

Link average speed ratio: 0.89

• Like 1

Would really like to give it a try. Is ut possible to know the lie angle i need without a fitting that would cost me? 

i saw some on the classified but i am pretty sure i would not make the most out of it if its not the proper lie. 

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

39 minutes ago, C_rad said:

Would really like to give it a try. Is ut possible to know the lie angle i need without a fitting that would cost me? 

i saw some on the classified but i am pretty sure i would not make the most out of it if its not the proper lie. 

https://labgolf.com/remote-fitting/

It’s free and will get you started with the length and lie. 

• Like 3

Can anyone comment on whether sound changes with a DF 2.1 going from regular steel to another shaft? I love swinging the DF without a ball, but really struggle with the sound when making contact because to me it sounds like a tin can. I know the material of the head plays a significant factor, but I'm looking for opinions if this changes with the shaft. Perhaps if I win the lottery I could buy each of the different shafts, but alas that is not currently a viable option.

3 hours ago, johnsomp said:

Can anyone comment on whether sound changes with a DF 2.1 going from regular steel to another shaft? I love swinging the DF without a ball, but really struggle with the sound when making contact because to me it sounds like a tin can. I know the material of the head plays a significant factor, but I'm looking for opinions if this changes with the shaft. Perhaps if I win the lottery I could buy each of the different shafts, but alas that is not currently a viable option.

LAB said this exact thing when I emailed them. Said switching shaft could have an effect on sound, but each shaft might be different. That and obviously trying a different ball. 

I’ve played the proV1 and AVX ball as well as the Srixon Z star diamond and they all sounded the same. However, first time rolling my LAB MEZZ 1, the AVX sounded miles better than the other 2. A nice solid click versus a more high-pitched ting. If I stick with the Mezz, I’ll exclusively play the AVX for that reason

Ping G430 LST 9° w/ GD AD-VF 7 TX
Taylormade SIM TI 15° w/ GD AD-DI 8X

Srixon u85 2-Iron w/ MMT 100
Ping Blueprint S 4-W, Ping s159 50°S w/ KBS $Taper 125
Ping Glide 4.0 54°s, Vokey SM9 60°T with Modus 125 Wedge
L.A.B. Mezz 1 w/ACCRA

Titleist ProV1 / AVX / Z-Star ♦

Anyone here playing a counterbalanced MEZZ.1 Max? I’m curious how it plays compared to a standard. I’ve been intrigued by it and I feel like I’m going to own a few LAB putters before too long. 

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1

8 hours ago, MerryTex said:

Anyone here playing a counterbalanced MEZZ.1 Max? I’m curious how it plays compared to a standard. I’ve been intrigued by it and I feel like I’m going to own a few LAB putters before too long. 

I have been playing a C/B Mezz for about 8 rounds thus far. What I found is that there is  less forward shaft lean (just a little lean), which for me is visually better than the standard length with press grips and arm lock models with 5-7* shaft lean, when lining up a putt. The benefits of the tech and feel is the same. I have had a lot of success with it, prior to using this I was using the Jailbird C/B and liked that as well. I have found this to be better than the JB for me when it comes to putts inside 10'. 

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

12 hours ago, MerryTex said:

I’ve had mine for about 3-4 rounds now and it’s certainly an improvement over the standard length Mezz and the DF2.1 I had before that but struggle on distance control and it’s not as good inside of 10’ as I hoped. I feel like I’m able to start more putts on line with my Spider X than I am this. it may be the grip. I’m not a fan of the SS 3.0 17”. Would have preferred something slimmer and did not know it was the 3.0 that came stock.  

But going to give it a few more rounds before moving on. 

Edited by ilikegolf26
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 12:55 AM, MerryTex said:

I am a broomer and really interested in the CB Mezz Max. I have been messing around with some CB putters at the golf store, but really want to try a CB Mezz.

Did the current users do an online fitting to figure out length and lie of a CB Mezz? 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

I am a broomer and really interested in the CB Mezz Max. I have been messing around with some CB putters at the golf store, but really want to try a CB Mezz.

Did the current users do an online fitting to figure out length and lie of a CB Mezz? 

Lie stays the same, add 3” to your standard putter’s length.

• Thanks 1