Sentry Tournament of Champions

tiderider

Lol. That was before cigarettes were bad for you. Doesn’t count. Now they are only sold in houses of ill repute and police station break rooms ( oddly enough ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thomas had a little luck on his side on the finishing holes because Schauffele could have won it in regulation. Surprised with the two swings Thomas made on 18. He could have just hit a smooth drive and smooth 3 wood approach shot and still be good, but took a rip at it like he is at a long drive contest on both swings. His drive nearly went into the hazard and his second shot did. Thomas is probably going to look back at it like he dodged a bullet and Schauffele is probably going to look back at it a little bummed. I think the pressure definitely had an effect at the end.

I think JT has some issues with nerves. Obviously, he's a proven closer so he's got the killer instinct but the fat shot and backing off the winning putt plus he just has this look on his face like he's going to throw up sometimes.

Can't blame him, must be crazy pressure when you are playing for a million dollar check. Hope he continues to keep his great play going, he's definitely maturing and could jump to the top this year.

I think the pressure is there, but I dont think it's to do with money. A player like JT is set for life already, and the difference in first to second isn't pocket change, but neither is it changing their lifestyle. It's one thing putting to win your first event, to get that first big check, or to keep your card, or be exempt to other tournaments, but Justin Thomas has won enough money that he could retire today and live out his life on a beach in hawaii and never work another day in his life. My guess is the pressure has to do with goals, expectations, and just simply wanting to win another title in reach of being the best.

Xander choked. Not that I wouldn't probably do the same thing. But to three putt in that situation? And to not even hit the hole on the come-backer. . .he knew it was a choke. It was his tournament at that point and he blew it.

Justin Thomas sort of got gifted the tourney because he also choked on 18. Could have just played it safe out to the right and taken bogey out of play. Great way to start the year though, gorgeous venue.

It was an interesting playoff in that all 3 had at least 1 putt to win at some point.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

very shocked Zander three putted. he's normally got the closing instinct. he said wind may have blown his first putt to 10-12 feet past the hole... JT looked the least solid of the 3 playoff guys...yet he won.. and that's the game

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Honestly I think the pressure for someone like JT trying to win a limited field tourney like this comes from just not wanting to look stupid on TV.

Now if it's a winless journeyman trying to close a tourney out for a million bucks and a two year exemption or someone playing for history like Rory at Augusta then that's a different level of pressure.

If Xander and his caddy would have caught the broadcast on Friday, they would have gotten a local knowledge tip from Rolfing and Zinger.

On this greens, which are more grain than anything, the ball goes by the hole and you watch it. If it only roles out to maybe 5-7 feet, the putt coming back cannot be outside of the hole. Xander’s come back putt to win was at the very most right edge, but really should have been hit right center and firm. I’ve played the course twice and can attest to that. Into the grain putts up the hill have almost zero break from that length. Grass just grabs the ball on every side.

Tremendous tournament to watch, though and great start to the season.

I have found watching JT that over the past five years, he really seems to have been able to develop a whole range of shots. When he first came out on tour everything was hit at full throttle. He became better and a frequent winner when he developed a soft shot, that ability to take something of irons and wedges in particular. That said, when he seems to get into pressure situations the full speed just comes back and back with a vengeance. When he won this event back in 2017 he nearly blew it by thrashing at some iron shots, he did blow it at the Genesis last year by hitting it to hard and he nearly did the same at Medinah in August when he hit a terrible second shot on the par 5 that nearly went OB when he just went for hit when he really didn’t need to. Fortunately for him (and me as a big fan) he still seems to be able to get himself over the line.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

the yell came after the putt. he was not affected. That should make you feel better lol. if he was drunk, he had perfect timing still. this is expected till Reed's career ends

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

it was a really bad block and misread. He missed the whole by a cup... pressure does these things sometimes but i wouldnt call this a choke. it was a tough day for all 3 in some spots.Thomas pulling his 3 wood was more him trying to put away the tourney but a huge mistake. Everybody involved did their best to give it away!!

It's not about it being after the putt, it's just the general fact that fans are yelling stuff out like that. This is not a soccer match in europe. We want to criticize Patrick Reed for his attempt at cheating in a game of honor and integrity. A game where we expect a certain standard of personal conduct and behavior to be upheld. What Patrick did was wrong, we all know that, but two wrongs don't make a right and the action of that fan is inexcusable regardless of the reasoning, and if this is how fans are going to to continue to act they themselves will be destroying the game and it's core values that make it great, more so than what Reed did.

• Like 1

Quick thoughts: Obviously all three gave it away at some point, but the pressure was immense. I really enjoyed how palpable the pressure was. There was no denying it. I think for each guy the source of the pressure may have been different.

The cheater comment to Reed was inexcusable. I really don't like Reed but I respect the game more than I dislike him. But aren't we generally allowing more raucous behavior at golf tournaments than in the past? Seems like more tournaments are turning into the Phoenix Open, and I have assumed that's because of the decline in golf popularity and the desire to make tournaments more of a spectacle. Maybe I'm old school,but I think that people who yell negative stuff at players in PGA tour events should be removed.

Reed seemed to get really lucky throughout the weekend. Seems like a dozen times I heard the announcers say something like "Bad swing there from Reed, that ball's headed toward the penalty area, oh he seems to have gotten a great break there and his lie looks fine." I realize luck is part of the game, but he sure seemed to have more than his fair share. That said, his short game was insanely good, especially on Sunday. No doubt he was the best player within 100 yards this week.

i started a whole new thread on this one. it deserves to stand alone

Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)

I can't see Schauffele being adversely effected by this and I expect him to win a major soon, possibly this season.

I especially like him at Augusta and Winged Foot but he has the game for any of the major venues.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]