Summer golf trips vs Covid 19

I agree with your sentiment. Maybe they see sense at some point and behave like a well run tourist golf destination, which they are apparently cool with up the point rounds cannot be played. If they don't it's enough bad customer service to put me off returning. It's not like getting stuck on an airline you don't like cause they are the only ones running a route you fly, there are tons of awesome courses throughout the UK that at are the equal/surpass what's on offer at Carnoustie, to play instead.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Carnoustie told me they wouldn't be reviewing July and August tee times until the end of May. It isn't a good message given there is no way most sane overseas golfers would contemplate flying to the UK in July even if it is possible to do so and the course is open. It's a bit different for those who live in country and Carnoustie should recognize this.

I was chatting to my dad yesterday(in scotland) he was saying his understanding for my course that they will open the course to members first then allow visitors when they are allowed to open up the clubhouse etc.

But again there has been nothing that golf is allowed again yet.

this was from our captain -

'I mentioned in my last newsletter that visitor bookings were being rescheduled where possible or cancelled if there is no alternative solution. This is continuing and is going to result in a significant loss of income this season. A positive aspect is that most of our visitors are just delaying their visit to next year or indeed 2022 (several our 2021 bookings were related to the Open being at St Andrews and that is not now the case).'

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

^Well sure you're at a well run club, with a sensible commercial side :-)

It might be a bit soon to get too pitch-forky with Carnoustie and they need a bit more time to see sense; however, the CMA (Competition & Markets Authority) does enable complaints to be filed online via gov.uk, I didn't actually submit anything, but I gave it a whirl and it's dead easy... although maybe that's devolved and Scotland has their own version.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I had a tee time on April 12th at Carnoustie (they were closed) and they have held firm about not refunding me. Received a temporary credit with Chase yesterday for the greens fees. I guess Carnoustie can respond to Chase in the next few weeks to justify the charge, but at least Chase is now fighting with them and not me.

I booked my trip without the help of a tour company. Gullane, North Berwick, and St. Andrews all refunded in full. Carnoustie's stance is "not market", as they say.

Once I hear more, I'll update in this thread.

12 of us had an 11 day trip around Ireland in mid July. Every course was willing to give us a full refund except the 2 that don't need it, RCD & Portrush. They are only giving us 75% back. So 12 guys at $400 Canadian dollars x 4 rounds = $4,800 down the drain just for them to write our names down. Portrush could probably close for 2 years with all the Open money from last year. We are going to put in a claim with Visa as well.

Now the worst part, we tried to reschedule for 2021 and they said they were booked for the summer. They took new tee times and didn't take care of anyone who had to cancel this year.

^Nothing is going to be 'over' this year.

FYI, I mentioned the possibility of this a couple pages back and it looks like they're leaking a trial balloon ahead of the UK's official Sunday announcement: Visitors and Britons returning from abroad will be required to self-isolate for two weeks

F.T.

Not surprised by RCD, I planned a two week trip to Ireland and Northern Ireland in 2016. The first week was with friends from the US, The second week was with friends from England. The day before the Englishman were to arrive in Donnegal, one of them was diagnosed with a rare blood disease and hospitalized. I immediately called the courses that he was booked at. Carne, Enniscrone, Rosses Point, Cruit Island, Narin & Portnoo and RCD. The only one that didn't provide a refund was RCD. Their position was "the rules are the rules and he should have known the green fee was non-refundable" I hate to say this, but it appeared to be a difference in attitude between the Republic and N.I.

I had a trip planned to the Highlands and Aberdeen this coming July with the same Englishmen. Nine rounds. Last week I started asking for refunds. So far, Royal Aberdeen is the only one that has refused. Castle Stuart has not refused, but has requested that instead, we take a raincheck that will be good until October 2025, they hold the rate and include a second round., and is transferable. We will take them up on that. Still haven't heard from Nairn. Corbie Hill was the fastest with the refund. I almost felt guilty taking our money back from them, but I do plan to visit there when possible.

I'm calling time on RCD, the beneficiaries of an overblown rating in a US magazine many years ago.

We have been offered the 75% like others, assuming we go on tour next year (half the touring party are now unemployed) I will be advocating to leaving it off the schedule, not sure I will miss the attitude, being barred from certain sections of the clubhouse, the never ending blind tee shots, the worst water hazard on any top 100 course and I certainly won't miss having to stump up for a pull cart after I've paid a small fortune for my green fee.

Vote with your feet post Covid, send the arrogant broke and support the good guys.

this might screw me going home completely and anyone to visit the UK. I don't want to go home to golf for a month and spend half of that stuck in my house.Wow shocked about RAGC refusing, not the policy as far as I was aware.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

They are allowing you to rebook next year or the year after.

last resort was a full refund.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Lunacy that they are not offering a full refund given the circumstances. I understand a club like that depends on the $$$ of tourists, but have some decency and do the right thing.

How long is the credit/rain-check good for at RCD? Would be a little easier to swallow if they at least gave you a few years to use it.

I’m pretty appalled but not surprised at the attitude of a couple of clubs mentioned.

as far as I understand it, courses will be open this week but with no facilities for the foreseeable future. I think the quarantining is going to depend on which country you are coming from, needless to say America isn’t going to be high on the list for being waved in I’m afraid.

besides, it’s not clear what hotels or Airbnb’s will be open, if any, and bars and restaurants are going to be extremely restricted or shut.

i will say this though, as diplomatically as I can. American tourists have made the top 100 uk courses catastrophically expensive for our own golfers, or anyone elses. £300 a round is not uncommon, and that’s because you are happy to come over here and spend upwards of 5k for a weeks golf. I know a lot of you will scoff, and compare prices in America etc, but it’s really not relevant. I don’t know a single uk golfer, of any handicap or income, who would contemplate paying those prices more than very, very occasionally.

theres fault on both sides in my book, paying absurd prices inevitably encourages greed and intractability when it comes to refunds in unforeseeable circumstances. But I obviously hope you all get your money back , and club secretaries with zero common sense or decency get what they deserve

Royal Aberdeen didnt want the Scottish Open again too soon after 2014 so it didn't entice too many visitors, there is a limit a year and we get close to that now.

It is so cool though when your club does get these events - Scottish Open, The Amateur Championship and the best one was The Walker Cup.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Exactly. So you find a way to maximize the revenue stream as compensation to the members for the inconvenience. The thing is, clubs still need long range plans on what to do with money. Otherwise idiot Captains, Chairmen and assorted cronie low chappers come up with stupid ways to waste money on the course or god forbid alter clubhouses to incorporate a welcome area etc. Having cash laying about is a dangerous thing for clubs!

So this week was my groups bucket list week to play in Scotland. We started canceling in mid March and received refunds from - Castle Stuart, Nairn and Kingsbarne but not Carnoustie which only offered a future credit through 2022. As they've remained closed, I've inquired again sinceit is impossible for us to play and now they don't even respond. Im sorry but for the amount of money they charge this is criminal.

I did call Chase today and have enlisted them to get a credit as I've seen others have done on this thread.

If anyone is succesful getting a refund, or any final resolution for that matter, via their credit card company please post here for others to see.

I mentioned this earlier, but seeing as Carnoustie hasn't gotten any better, thought I'd mention it again: https://www.coronavirus-business-complaint.service.gov.uk/

I filed a complaint, not sure how many are required to trip a flag for them to actually look into it or if they simply bunged a form in there to say 'hey look we're interested!' when they actually don't care, but if a few others give it a go, who knows.

MN2J0O2YRWWE.png

F.T.