2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I hate golf attire

i would suggest some new gear. If you take your time, most golf appropriate shirts are the thinnest most breathable material available. Appropriate golf shorts can be had as well.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Ummm...LACC, which is hosting the US Open in a couple years, and Bel Air CC both don't allow shorts.

I have no issue wearing golf clothes. The materials these days are extremely comfortable. I can't stand having to tuck in my shirt and wear a belt. That's right, some clubs require a belt!

And who wears two layers on a hot day??? I've never worn an undershirt with a golf shirt, nor have I witnessed it.

Most of these dress codes are only at private clubs. Their club. Their rules.

I think this might be literally the lowest bar ever for the word "elitist" to be used. Unless the OP just woke up after being frozen like "Encino Man" and people still have to wear knickers, sweaters and ties.

My "golf attire" is a pair of khakis shorts that are fairly baggy (one of them even has cargo pockets, so far i haven't been warned!), and some puma collared shirts i bought at the outlet for 20$ each, and some other Nike shirts i bought at winners for 15-20$ each.

Super comfortable even in the warm weather and this would be legal at 99% of clubs.

Golf is actually more casual than almost any business that classifies themselves as "business casual"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

“Encino Man”, You’re invited but your friend can’t come.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I think a lot of the judgement of golf attire is often correlated to age. I'm 31 years old. I actually really enjoy dressing nicely to go golf (but I absolutely prioritize comfort, especially in the Arizona heat where I've been living). My main feeling regarding this topic is the old cliche, "Those who matter, won't care, and those who care, don't matter." Wear what you want. When I go somewhere nice, I enjoy wearing a fancy polo and a cool outfit (and if it wasn't comfortable, I wouldn't wear it). I golf at nice golf courses here and there, wear shorts most of the time, and nobody has ever commented about my attire (although shorts are the norm in AZ). Some of the richest/most successful people I've played with (including members at nice courses) dress like "slobs" and have been some of the most easy going and fun people to play with. When I play at my local muni, if I'm feeling lazy or feeling like being extra comfortable that day, I play in an un-tucked nike dri-fit shirt and shorts with nike sneaker soft spikes, and I don't think about what I'm wearing for a second. If somebody is anal enough to pass judgement on me due to my outfit on a golf course and doesn't want to talk to me or get to know me for it, sounds like I'm better off. It's your game, your time, your leisure, enjoy it the way you want to, and if it bothers somebody that much, they sound like somebody I don't want to be around anyway. If you're at a country club (I've never played one that stuffy) that requires it, respect the etiquette there out of courtesy, but there are 50 nice courses that don't care what you wear for every one course that does, play where you feel comfortable and do what you want. I've never given much thought to what anyone I'm playing with on a golf course was wearing, I only care about whether they're pleasant to play with and if they respect the aspects of the game that actually matter (like pace of play).

I don’t think anyone has an issue with you not feeling comfortable in “proper golf attire”. My issue is you go to a course that requires it. You get hot and instead of waiting until at your vehicle to take the polo off and proceed to walk past the clubhouse. Then you get upset that someone says something to you. If you don’t feel comfortable, then play where you can wear what you want. My club isn’t overly stuffy whatsoever, but I make sure my shirt is tucked in when entering the Clubhouse/pro shop and while playing. If I want to untuck I do it at my vehicle before leaving and call it a day. I just do that out of respect for where I am. There is a sense of honor in the game no matter where you play and this should also play into following the guidelines for apparel as well. It’s just a respect thing, end of story.

• Like 1

You don't have to dress like a tour pro with premium/expensive golf shop attire. You can look plenty nice enough with golf clothes from Koels, Boscovs, etc.

If a $20 muni allows jeans and a muscle tee, then that is OK also. Just don't go to go to nicer courses dressed like that.

At the better courses up to country clubs, not being willing to follow a general rule like a collared shirt and no jeans, tends to indicate that person isn't willing to

follow other golf etiquette, like maintaining the course, pace, etc.

Based on comments and attire recommendations in the attire forum, it looks like a high percent of Golfwrx are into dressing for golf, with many liking premium brands.

Thanks, I appreciate that! There are plenty more like me, at least the people I golf with. I’d find people who share your philosophy and make them your weekend golf group. Once you tee off it’s just you 4 for the next 3-4 hours anyway. And the pro-shop guys are usually younger and couldn’t care less, at least in my experience lol.

I took 20 years off of golf and when 8 started back a few months ago I thought that attire regulations were fairly lax. Everywhere near me let’s you wear shorts (admittedly I don’t play really high level courses) and just require a golf shirt. Even tiger style collarless shirts seem to pass muster. The really inexpensive public courses (which I play more than the nicer ones as I just can’t afford $100+ a round) let you wear a t shirt, but I always wear a golf shirt and don’t think that is asking too much. I suppose it just depends on where you are playing. When I play red league softball I wear shorts and a t shirt, but when I play baseball in a higher level league I wear my uniform...at muni courses whatever but if people are paying anywhere near 80-100 or more for a round it is not asking too much to ask them to wear a golf shirt. And for what it’s worth I’m not an elitist and am a man of very modest means...

It's amazing how people only see what they want to see when reading something. I am going to state this again, I don't care what anyone else wears to a golf course. Wear a $1000 suit, wear jeans and a tank top. I don't care! I don't like wearing golf attire, to me it is uncomfortable. We are all different and like different things, so it is completely possible that it is uncomfortable to me. The main reason it is uncomfortable is because I sweat a lot. By a lot, I mean I take 2 hats with me for a round of golf, by the end, they will both be dripping sweat off the bills, the entire hat will be soaked. Despite what anyone says, I can assure you that a soaked polo (no matter how lightweight) is heavier than a Nike dri fit athletic shirt when wet. Also, I have large legs and have to wear compression shorts when walking so I don't chafe them. Compression shorts are pretty smooth and offer no traction to holding up my pants or shorts. That means that whatever belt I am wearing (generally web belts), needs to be tight. Wearing tight belts aggravate my lower back, which I had surgery on a few years ago.

Now, I don't think the clothes look bad. Point of fact I think they look sharp, and I think the pros on tv are well dressed. But that doesn't mean it's comfortable to me. I go to two black tie events a year, and I hate putting on my suit to do it, but my wife loves me in it.

The point is, I'm out there walking 5+ miles and swinging a stick in circles exerting myself and sweating bullets. I'd prefer to do it in athletic clothes that are comfortable. And I think that "proper golf attire" is an outdated custom based on an sport with elitist origins.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Polo doesn't have to be cotton. You can get Nike drifit polos and similar brands. You can't do any better while still having clothing on. My wardrobe, at least what I wear of it is almost exclusively drifit/climacool/Walmart brand knockoffs for work in polo styles. They're the same as your athletic shirts, they just have collars and cost a tad more.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

You sound very childish complaining about wearing a belt and dressing appropriately for the activity involved. Grow up and leave the gym shorts at home, it’s not a softball game. Have some respect for the golf course and those around you. If you want to dress like a derelict, play at the ragged out 9 hole muni.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

None of my polo's are cotton. They are all some poly blend, I have mainly Nike and Under Armour polo's. They also go over a dri fit tech tee. I don't like pit stains in my expensive polo's. I do wear them out on the town and to work as well.

In the bag

And you sir contribute to bad stereotypes!

Edit: Can you seriously believe what you just typed? Did you not read that I had back surgery and that wearing a tight belt aggravates my lower back. Yeah, we should all hurt ourselves on purpose to play golf. You have to be just trying to bait me, there is no way you can be that obtuse.

In the bag

Nike literally makes polos out of the same material as the tshirt you like. You could solve your problem by just wearing the polo and then pitching it when you get the stains you're trying to avoid. It's not like the polo costs that much more than the drifit tshirt. Just buy them at the local discount store and you're golden.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I will consider myself lucky that I am not in Japan, although I have no desire to go there. I will pick up a couple to test, but I can't get them from a discount store. They generally don't carry my size, 3x. The tiger polo's look nice, but only go to 2x. Too bad.

In the bag

You are making a conscious choice to be angry.

The thing you are angry about is a non-issue.

Wear what you want. Accept the consequences of your choices and move on.

The world is not here to bend to your will. Ultimately, no one cares.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3XL and legs chafing? Have you considered going on a diet? I’m not a physician but you would probably stop sweating so much if you could drop a few pounds.

I'm not angry.

I disagree with the status quo. While it may be a non issue for you, and everyone on this board for that matter, to me it is an issue.

I agree with your 3rd statement

Don't want the world to bend to my will, don't even want a little part of it to. What fun would that be? But people do care, some seem downright offended that I don't like wearing the attire. It's funny really, nowhere did I say I refuse to wear it, nowhere did I say won't go to a course because it has a dress code. I don't like it, it's uncomfortable, and an outdated custom. These are my opinions and they are just as valid as anyone else's!

In the bag

Been a heavy sweater my entire life including during my service in the NAVY, had leg chaffing issues then too. I will admit I am a big guy now, and yes, even though your comment is derogatory, I am trying to lose weight. I do work out and stay as active as I can. But I lived with a bad back for a long time before I finally got surgery.

In the bag

Wasn't derogatory. I was offering a solution. Please don't be offended by everything suggested to you. We were all stronger, more fit, and better golfers years ago.

All right, perhaps "angry" is not the right word. Perhaps "whiney" would be more appropriate?

In any event, the comment was meant to highlight all of the various ways that both the golfing world and the other people on this forum have tried to compromise with you - and your seemingly utter refusal to reciprocate.

Every time someone tries to offer a viable solution, you shoot it down. Honestly, I can't even figure out what you are proposing we should be able to wear on the golf course.

I personally draw a line at baseball cleats - and yes, I have seen evidence of someone wearing baseball cleats on a golf course. Tore up the greens something fierce.

or
or
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I encountered someone in front of me wearing high top rugby cleats. Leaving miniature craters all around the cups.

At least they were prepared should a scrum occur over honors on a tee box. Gotta have a good hooker to corral a golf ball.

or
or