2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos Γ—

I hate golf attire

The most comfortable clothes I own are designed for golf. In order not to advertise any brand I limit myself saying that both the trousers and shorts I wear are of elastic nature as well as the belts (although I did buy same kinds of belts from a men's dresser shop due to way lower price...). They are so comfortable that I seldom wear anything else OUTSIDE the golf course. And the short-sleeved shirts are at their best airy, stretching and long enough not to escape from under the belt. They are easy to swing in and keep me cool enough. Then again, here in Finland too high temperatures are not that much of a problem

I can go with "whiney".

Peoples "viable" solution is wear new tech and no under shirt. I already have new tech polo's by Under Armour and Nike. They are pretty much the biggest names in sports apparel, you would figure they have the new tech. I went no under shirts a few years ago. Ruined some $70 polo's.

I feel the most comfortable in basketball shorts and tech tees. That's what I wear to the gym, it's what I wear to play tennis, it's what I wear to mow my lawn. Basically, it's what I wear when i'm going to sweat.

To be honest, it is what I wear most of the time at my home course. I don't get there till 6pm during the week. I only wear golf attire on the weekends during prime time, or when I go to a different course.

I would definitely draw the line at cleats, they are destructive to the course. Apples and oranges.

Β 

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:Β  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:Β  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Ever heard of No shirt, no shoes, no service.

Private business = they can set requirements some people do not like. If someone does not want to adhere to those requirement, don't go there - pretty simple. I doubt they are going to be distraught over losing the business; or the minority category this falls into.

OP, Please post a link to what you are wearing.

Those dri fit shirts you are wearing can be found in collared shirts with the exact same materials. As a result, many of those reading this thread are taking this as a style issue more so than a material issue.

Β 

As far as shorts/other layers, again there will be many many low cost breathable options available to you for all layers of clothing.

it has never, ever been easier to dress for the weather in appropriate clothing to stay cool or warm than it is today.

Β 

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105sΒ 
Cleveland RTX 54* &Β 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Not hyperbolic at all...

I don't believe that golf is an elitist game anymore, however there are still some strong stereotypes left. I believe the golfing community should do what it can to get rid of the stereotypes. It is my opinion that it could help grow the game. Some people however like that aspect though .

img-0015-jpg.jpgThere is a pic of me wearing one of my Under Armour Playoff Polo's.

Β 

Edit: The remarks are under the wrong quotes.

In the bag

Again i just have a hard time imagining how someone couldn't find acceptable golf clothes that are comfortable. If Belts are a problem you can get shorts that fit well so you don't need a belt, i have played rounds beltless because i forgot mine at home...

A decent golf shirt is going to be just as light as anything save like a mesh tank top similar to the one the villain Bennett wore in "Commando" .

Β 

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp AntiqueΒ 

If you're worried about salt stains, I've never had issues with them not washing out, especially out of drifit style material. Or you can just cake your pits with antiperspirant.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

You win, then.

Requiring a certain form of dress is elitist at some level, even if the level for golf is relatively minimal, it's athletic demands relatively few, and the clothing options available plenty. When I played at Royal St. Georges in Sandwich, a jacket and tie were required to enter the clubhouse, from which one went to the locker rooms to change into golf attire, and after the round the process was reversed. It is silly and antiquated to require some particular variety of clothing, but it is also part of the game. Those two things can coexist, and they do in golf.

But they do to a degree in other sports as well. Tennis was mentioned somewhere. Surely one cannot play tennis in most places wearing a only speedo, even if they wanted to. Which brings us to swimming; sometimes I would like to swim in regular gym shorts, but clean or not some pools would require I wore a "bathing suit". To use many public gym courts you must wear dedicated indoor gym shoes, for some beach volleyball courts it was required to play barefoot, etc. It is not just golf that does this.

On an extremely hot day, I find myself usually ditching my white cotton undershirt for a dryfit one or go with wearing only a modern fabric golf polo, with heavy slacks. (My calves burn easily otherwise, hence I tend to avoid shorts).

Β 

Β 

Maybe I'm just confused, but is there really a stereotype on clothing? As you have said your local course allows you on in mesh shorts and a T-shirt. And I know plenty of public course that do the same. Now maybe the attitude that some people have there is, but that's a people issue not a clothing issue.

I work as a systems administrator in IT, and I can't for the life in me figure out how some people have such hard times with computers. Do you think that because I don't understand it, it makes it not so?

Maybe I have the wrong shirts, but I buy shirts made for golf, so you would think they are the right shirts, lol.

Β 

The simple fact of the matter is it is socially acceptable for me to pretty much go anywhere in basketball shorts and a tech tee. Yes, there are places requiring dress codes for certain things, but for the most part I can go where I want. I accidentally went to Ruth Chris Steakhouse in basketball shorts and a tech tee once. Had no idea it is more of a fancy place. What makes golf so special that is requires people to dress up? Intrinsic to the sport, nothing (excepts golf shoes). It is simply customs.

In the bag

It's just an interesting battle to choose. Essentially you want to play golf in basketball shorts and a T-Shirt if we get down to it. Many places of employment, restaurants etc...will ask you to dress up a bit more than golf does. Short of basketball it's probably the most comfortable uniform there is (baseball no, football stuff sucks, hockey?).....It's just almost any kind of shirt with a collar and khakis shorts.

It seems like a pretty low bar of dress, that they are asking for. I'd rant against a company asking for a shirt and tie before thinking golf was making a big ask

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp AntiqueΒ 

Salt stains wash out easily. It is actually stains from my anti antiperspirant.

In the bag

Grow up. Behave yourself and respect others and follow the rules at the golf course. Otherwise a softball league might be more fun for you.

Driver:Β Titleist 913Β D3 8.5Β° A-1Β setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65gΒ stiff

Wood: Β Titleist 980FΒ 17Β° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid:Β Titleist 909HΒ 21Β° Aldila VoodooΒ stiffΒ 

Irons: Β Titleist 716 AP2 4- W Β DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter: Β Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball:Β Titleist Pro V1

Then skip it. Unless you got a dinner to go to somewhere else after the round, everyone else at the course is gonna be sweating like a pig too. They won't care about yours either.

Β 

And those antiperspirant/deodorant stains come out too.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Please stop acknowledging the trolling that is this entire thread. He is obviously going to shoot down every solution/counterpoint, has argued essentially with himself, and went so far as to post a selfie where you can only see the collar of his shirt (that just so curiously happens to feat. Jack) to illustrate what shirts he wears.

GTFO with this nonsense.

Some young punk who had the gall to bother me while I was watching my son play golf!

In the bag

There is really nothing elitist about proper golf attire, give us all a break.. You can literally buy polos and shorts that are nearly identical to gym cloths. For shorts, look into the nike flex shorts with the stretchy waist or hybrid 4-way stretch board shorts. Nike sells a bunch of collarless/vented golf shirts (I have 2 and have no issues with dress code at my club). Just go with slightly darker tones and ditch the undershirt. If you are still uncomfortable wearing that, I am sorry, it's not golf or elitism, it's just you. You may just have to accept that being a big guy, walking 5+ miles, in 90* weather just isn't going to be very comfortable. Look at TW, super fit guy, but a big sweater. He goes through multiple shirts/towels/gloves per round when it's hot and humid.

I don't like softball. Such a boring sport. Tennis leagues are good though, matches are timed at an hour and a half. Get your sets in quick! And I don't want to grow up, I don't want to become some old conformist that stops questioning why things are they way there are and be content to die!

Yep, that's exactly what the label on Oxyclean says too! I think the label lies.

In the bag

That is the first time I have ever been accused of being a troll, and I'm on a lot of forums. Sweet! I will admit the photo was over the top, but it is the only photo I have of myself in a golf shirt and I figured it was in good taste. Maybe I was wrong...I will look into the shorts. I currently have the UA shorts with the elastic in the sides, but a band that is entirely elastic would definitely be better.

Β 

Edit: I just looked at the Nike woven flex shorts, are those the shorts you are referring to? You can get away with wearing those?

In the bag

Yeah, you are right. The vast majority of the time, standards of dress are a custom - not something enforced by rules or law. As such, you can choose to follow them or not.

Β 

So, this begs the question of what are customs, and why do they exist? In the most basic sense, customs exist to signal that someone belongs to a group. When people think that you belong to their group, they are a hell of a lot nicer to you. When they think you are an outsider, it takes a lot longer to warm up to you - if it ever happens.

Β 

When I first arrived in Auburn, Alabama, I was introduced to the custom of yelling "War Eagle" at people. At first I had no idea what what going on or what was wrong with the people yelling this at me. I thought it was stupid. But, after a few awkward silences, I figured out that I just had to shout "War Eagle" back at them, and then they invited me to drink beers and eat BBQ.

Β 

So, I adapted. I figured that the benefits of bending to culture were greater than the detriments.

Β 

If you happen to show up as a single, and join another group who has never met you before, and you are wearing your basketball shorts and shirt, you have to realize that these other folks are wondering what the hell is wrong with you. They are wondering if you've ever played golf before. They are making judgments about you. Even if you are a tremendous golfer, those guys are still going to refer to you as "the dude who wears basketball shorts."

Β 

So again, you have the right to choose. You can play golf wearing whatever you want. But you have to willing to accept the consequences. This is the way humanity works. It's not an issue of right, wrong, or indifferent. It's simply the way things are.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Soak the entire shirt? What's your method, or suggestion for use?That is a valid statement. Golf is full of both, trying to separate the two can be confusing.

In the bag

I'd lay off the guy a little bit. He's actually been pretty conciliatory, and you can tell he's reading the posts. Whether trolling or not, at least it is killing some time, eh?

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge