I hate golf attire

To be honest, more of a rant. But I thought I chose the proper sub forum for it due to it being more of an etiquette thing. I fully expected most people here would disagree, this being a golf forum and all. But I mistakenly thought there would be others who didn't like the attire as well. We all seek out like minded people to associate with, to help ratify our beliefs, that was all I was looking for.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:ย  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:ย  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

As I said, that's fine be a non-conformist at the appropriate course. Golf courses have owners and they define and enforce attire. An acquaintance owns four courses, he stipulates how people dress at those courses and staff enforce his wishes. Just like I define attire for my company. If someone doesn't want to meet those requirements or any other HR stipulations, fine. They have a choice to work elsewhere.

• TSR2 9.25ยฐย Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15ยฐ GDย Tourย AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2iยฐย Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12,ย M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x orย AVX

Just a thought on the troll comments. I don't believe this thread to be a troll, at least that is not my intention. I do agree that I made one troll worthy post of "I quit..." I have tried my best to respectfully disagree with posters, even though not all have respectfully disagreed with me. I'm not here to incite anger or discord, the title of the thread, yeah maybe a bit much. But this is a message board, and I assume (you know what they say about that) voicing ones opinion on topics related to the forums subject matter is completely fine for posting. People have made suggestions, yes. And, a lot of those suggestions I have tried and they didn't work. As to my belief that the clothing is elitist, it has to do with the beginnings of the sport and how the affluent and wealthy were the only ones who could play, it was a "Gentlemen's game" and the working class were not Gentlemen. Playing golf at the time was generally done in nice clothing, and while that has diluted with time, at the core of it at private and country clubs it is still a thing. It abhors me that this game that I love so much has these roots, because the game itself doesn't care how wealthy you are, how well dressed you are, whether or not you are working class. The game is about your skill with a ball and a club.

In the bag

You seem to have contempt for other people that want to enjoy the company of like minded people that follow certain rules, treat others respectfully, care for the golf course, and that generally want to be good stewards of the game.

If you don't want to be part of it by dressing (and acting )appropriately you should find some other place to play where you would feel welcome. Instead of trying to persuade every else to come down to your level of behavior.

ย 

Driver:ย Titleist 913ย D3 8.5ยฐ A-1ย setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65gย stiff

Wood: ย Titleist 980Fย 17ยฐ Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid:ย Titleist 909Hย 21ยฐ Aldila Voodooย stiffย 

Irons: ย Titleist 716 AP2 4- W ย DG AMT S300

Wedges:ย Titleist Vokey SM7 ย 54ยฐ,ย ย 58ยฐย DG S200

Putter: ย Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball:ย Titleist Pro V1

Golf attire as all golf etiquette is a gift we give ourselves, itโ€™s a gift we share with others. Itโ€™s a gentle persons game. The only game of self penalty and constant integrity in oneself. Itโ€™s hardly an effort to wear something presentable.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradyn 9ยฐ
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34โ€

Here fishy, I got some good bait for you. Wow, I hope I never have the displeasure of meeting you.

I have contempt for those who think they are better than others. And I am seriously getting the vibe that you think you are better than me because you like to dress in golf attire. What does follow the rules, treat others respectfully, care for the golf course, and generally be good stewards of the game have anything to do with what I want to wear? And by default because I don't like to wear the clothing I am acting inappropriately?

ย 

I'm not trying to persuade anyone else to wear what I want to wear. I voiced a dislike for the clothing, it's mostly everyone else that is trying to beret me for not liking it. There are a few exceptions.

In the bag

Like it or not, you seem to want to hold on to the idea that you deserve (and it's necessary) to continue to dress like a slob. Gym shorts on a golf course is most definitely dressing like a slob.

These points we have tried to convey are lost on you. You are failing to understand that is not always about you and what you want.

Grow up and follow the rules or go somewhere else.

ย 

If you can name those clubs, I'm prepared to be educated. Personally, I do not know any that require slacks and I've lived and played golf all over N. America.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Customย  SIM Max 7-wood,ย Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115ย 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115ย 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

He's trying to act as if his rights have been infringed. A martyr.

I actually usually wear golf attire when I want to dress comfortably. A modern polo isn't much less comfortable than a T shirt. Are golf shorts really less comfortable than gym shorts? Maybe you are buying yours a size too small.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.ย  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.ย ย 
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3ย 56* TW grind.ย  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.ย ย 
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly
ย 

I'm in the same boat, the breathable golf polos these days are phenomenal. Even the golf pants I have are extremely breathable and I wear those when required to wear dress pants during the summer at non golfing events instead of regular dress pants. Also don't forget about increasing your swing speed by 5 mph for every size smaller you go with them.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3ย Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiffย (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921ย Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shaftsย 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58ย 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

You have crossed the line. Congrats!

Mods please lock, it is obvious that not liking anything to do with golf is punishable by character insults.

In the bag

This is so absurd. Coming from someone who sweats more than anyone else I know:

1) learn to do laundry properly. I soak through my shirts basically every round, and when I get home, they go in the wash. Never any issues with staining the modern poly/dri fit/blend materials. None. Zero. I donโ€™t even see how itโ€™s possible. The material doesnโ€™t really allow for it.

2) buy some shorts that fit you properly. I wear compression shorts every day and have never had the issue you describe and needing a tight belt. I canโ€™t even imagine what the he!! youโ€™re talking about.

So long story short, buy proper fitting clothes and learn to do laundry.

Finally, this is unrelated to sweating, but goes to your main point:

3) The game of golf doesnโ€™t dictate the attire. The owner of the establishment you are visiting does.

Bro. He called you a slob. It will be ok. Is he a known troll? Yes. But You literally start a thread about the most controversial thing on this site and expect old Tom Morris not to come be who he is?

I agree. Golf is partially flawed because of the useless traditions these fancy people seem To live and die by. But fact is, you donโ€™t get anywhere by ranting on a site where a lot of the members spend more time in the mirror than my wife and ex wife combined. Let me give you some help...

make a Lot of money, like a lot of the fancy people that Own the places you complain aboutJoin a club with a dress codeWear whatever you wantwhen they complain, pay them to leave u the $&@$ aloneIgnore the whiny little people that are outraged by your violation of international law. Worked for me. again, not sure why you started this thread if you were not trolling the trolls. Enjoy the fact that you obviously got under their very light feathery soft skin.

good luck, play well

Radspeed 8, 13.5,ย 17.5/hzrdusgreentxย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย  ย ย  Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย  Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyxย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย  phantom x5/stabilitytour

Would you go over to a friend who invited you for dinner in basketball shorts? Would you go to work in basketball shorts?

It is not about "useless" traditions. It is about respect and basic human decency. By dressing somewhat appropriately (and the bar for that has become really low in golf) you pay your respect to the game and the people you share it with.

ย 

ย 

No I don't see an issue. I took off my soaked

polo after I finished my round and started to walk to my car. Also, this nice upscale course didn't have the bar open at the turn and there was no beverages in the club house. No I don't drink, but I do need a fair amount of water, and I ran out of water on 15. I would absolutely go over to a friends house to have dinner in basketball shorts and a tech tee, and I assure you, anybodies house that I am going to go over to will be completely fine with it. Would I go to work in it, no, but they pay me . And, I disagree with your last statement, but your rhetoric was non insulting and appreciated, so thanks!Honestly wasn't trying to troll. I figured there were others who didn't like having to wear the attire. And there probably are, they just don't go to anywhere where a dress code is required and aren't on this forum. Everybody that I play golf with is like me. We are working class, down to earth people. When I show up to play a round after work at my home course, I am in gym clothes. When I go play on the weekends, I wear golf attire, unless I am range ratting it till 5.

I'm really starting to get the feeling that I don't belong here, I don't belong playing this sport. I can't explain it, but I have lost a bit of respect for this game now. I'll go back to my lowly muni home course and keep to my place. I hope that if I ever do make a lot of money, I treat people the same as I do now. - I understand that this statement may seem like it is baiting, but it really isn't intended as such. It's honestly the way I feel right now. I am disappointed.You are absolutely correct! And mostly, this is the type of response I thought I would get. I am happy you do not have issues with the clothing, it must be nice knowing that if something works for you it works for everybody, everywhere. As to washing my clothes, my washing machine does that for me. I put the clothes in the washer, add some detergent, set it on the "active clothes" setting and this crazy thing washes the clothes so I don't have to. It's pretty cool to be honest.

Yes, you are correct, it is the establishment that dictates attire.

ย 

ย 

I guess what I don't understand is why everybody is so up in arms about me not liking the attire. I can accept and understand everybody not agreeing with me, we all have our own opinions and preferences after all. But y'all are here challenging me, saying I don't know what I am talking about because it works for you. Great, it works for you. This is a subjective matter, based on personal preference, not a fact based matter where there is only one answer. And even beyond that, I still wear the attire! I'm here on a forum complaining, I've have never once complained to the guy behind the counter at a clubhouse that I had to wear golf attire, I have never once not gone to a course because it was required. I remember the first time I went to a course with a dress code though. I had no idea since I had only been to muni's before that. The guy told me I had to have a polo on and said he would sell me one. They didn't have any in my size and let's just say you don't want to see me in a polo that's too tight, it's not sightly. Anyway, I had to go home and change, but I did and got back in time for my tee time. Didn't have time for the range unfortunately, but whatever. I didn't complain to him, I actually told him sorry, I didn't know.

ย 

Again, I'm disappointed, I feel disillusioned and let down. I guess my expectations were too high.

In the bag

Barking up the wrong tree bud. Yes, I go over to my friends house in casual clothes. They know who I am, and they are not made anxious by violation of traditions they were raised on. They realize that a lot of exclusivity and negativity surrounds creating thresholds like that. It is also the reason I have a very very very limited amount of friends, because I could never relate to such uselessness.

We are rich, we go hard, most of us have beautiful wives that support who we are.

Basic human decency is creating an open and inviting environment for all cultures and backgrounds. I strive to use my loads of money and loads of not giving a hoot about what you think to make the game more inclusive for others.

oh and by the way yes, I make a load of money working in โ€œathleticโ€ shorts lol basketball shorts. Times are changing, it takes adaptable, empathetic, focused individuals to improve this game/world.

Radspeed 8, 13.5,ย 17.5/hzrdusgreentxย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย  ย ย  Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย  Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyxย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย ย  phantom x5/stabilitytour

You Have to understand this world is a place full of those that are threatened by difference. Once you can wrap your head around that, you start to realize you can operate the way you want to, and not take it personally when they see that as a threat.

I recommend a friend or therapist to talk to you bud. I was lucky and grew up being targeted for my differences, surviving that opens your eyes a bit, especially if you are fortunate enough to process it in a meaningful way. The game and world has changed so much because people are willing to operate with a thick skin. Hiding at a municipal golf course because fancy people are threatened by you is not the answer in my opinion

in other words, you found someone else that feels like u. Thread solved, Now go have a nice day?

You seem like an alright guy.

I like my home muni course. I've gotten a season pass there the last 5 seasons, and I'm still a bad enough golfer that the course can hand it to me. I don't need to go to a course rated 72/130 just to get walloped. Generally when I go elsewhere, it's because some of the guys I play with want to go somewhere else, or because my home course is flooded, which is the case now. For the most part though I play at home. There are only a few courses I like to visit once a season. Harbor Shores when I'm feeling particularly masochistic, Lost Marsh (played a round with a member here, and try to make it out once a season), and I love to play Warren. One of these seasons I may switch my season pass to go to Warren, but there would be no more gym shorts at all!

In the bag

this looks like fun!

plenty of terrible people wear a suit and tie every day, getting dressed up doesn't mean diddly. I'm guessing the cheats and sandbaggers of the world are wearing nice golf outfits but they certainly aren't respecting the gamemy preference would be gym shorts and no shirt so I could even out my tan :)but golf clothing now is incredible. Even if I could wear whatever I wanted to golf, I'd still wear golf shirts and spikeless shoesSo yeah OP I feel ya, but its just one of those things you have to deal with. As someone else noted, at least golf clothing now doubles as business casual so you can wear it off the course?

ย 

I think the consternation is you're torturing yourself with the extra layers and then complaining about it.

ย 

You really should of ignored the comment from the likely minimum wage worker. It's never worth getting upset about such things.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

"No I don't see an issue. I took off my soaked

polo after I finished my round and started to walk to my car."

ย 

I'm curious, if your sweaty undershirt also made you uncomfortable, would you have taken that off too and still remained aghast that people objected to your naked chest? I'm just trying to discover where you draw the line -- after all, one could extend your comfort-above-all perspective beyond your current position.

• Like 1