Anyone use Golf Logix yardage books?

On 7/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, Celebros said:

I used mine for the first time yesterday at Springfield CC (Springfield, OH). It is a Donald Ross course with some wild greens - a lot of severe front to back, some false fronts, many holes where if you're above the hole you're screwed, etc. It was invaluable - particularly with placing approach shots. On the greens, I found the book to be extremely accurate - particularly on putts which looked straight - a quick check of the book would show a slight break one way or the other, which I found to be correct each time I used it.

What a good golf course. The greens are wild for sure. I putted it off the front on 18 one day....it was the best putt (so I thought) I had hit that day. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, brentm08 said:

What a good golf course. The greens are wild for sure. I putted it off the front on 18 one day....it was the best putt (so I thought) I had hit that day. 

Yep, I've witnessed that one, lol.   You probably had, what, 30 yards back up the hill after that putt?

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

On 2/16/2021 at 1:59 PM, PeteNC said:

Has anyone tried the PuttView books vs these?

I received my Puttview today.  A few comparisons based on the pics of the GolfLogix.  The Puttview has many more measurements and markings on the fairway.  And also yardages from the tee to specific spots.  The GolfLogix has a grid instead which you can use to come up with your own measurements to fairway spots and from one spot to another.  

Green measurements look similar.

I like my Puttview except the quality control is not so good.  Mine has an issue with 3 holes:

- Missing a small creak (drainage ditch) added to the first hole 3 years back.

- The tee adjustment numbers (e.g. subtract 10 yards from measurements if not playing from the back of tee) were chopped off on two holes.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

1 hour ago, PeteNC said:

Wow, flat green.  You can sure roll lots of putts in!  Eagle hole!

Ha!  A couple of things not evident in the pics.  There are very tall evergreens behind the bunker they show you can carry.  And another big tree on the left of the fairway.  This is one of the easier holes on the course, but folks don't normally hole them from outside 10 ft.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

• 2 weeks later...

On the Golf Logix app, you can determine the amount of arrows on a green. Are the books you can buy the low, medium, or high level of arrows? Anyone know how Golf Logix mapped the greens? Did they send someone out to laser them? 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I dont know but I think all of the Yardage Book providers are using freely available LIDAR data for elevations and satellite images (like Google Maps) for the layout.

I learned about this stuff back when I had a Skytrack.  One of the members in the simulator forum built software that allowed you to map your own course out and play it in TGC2019.  You had to import LIDAR and satellite image files.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

24 minutes ago, Samdbone said:

Do they send to you in pdf? 

Not sure if this question is in response to the LIDAR and maps info. That stuff does not come in a pdf.  LIDAR info is a matrix file (all numbers).

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

On 3/2/2021 at 10:17 AM, dekez said:

I received my Puttview today.  A few comparisons based on the pics of the GolfLogix.  The Puttview has many more measurements and markings on the fairway.  And also yardages from the tee to specific spots.  The GolfLogix has a grid instead which you can use to come up with your own measurements to fairway spots and from one spot to another.  

Green measurements look similar.

I like my Puttview except the quality control is not so good.  Mine has an issue with 3 holes:

- Missing a small creak (drainage ditch) added to the first hole 3 years back.

- The tee adjustment numbers (e.g. subtract 10 yards from measurements if not playing from the back of tee) were chopped off on two holes.

I contacted Puttview and without me asking they are sending a replacement book to correct the errors above.  Cool of them.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

1 hour ago, mkuether said:

After dekez posted his PuttView book I decided to order one just to see how it compares to the Golflogix books that I already owned. Below is a comparison photo:

The first thing I noticed is that the PuttView book is smaller than the GolfLogix book. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough of a difference that the PuttView book fits easily into my smaller scorecard holder while I had to trim the cover of the Golflogix book slightly to make it fit in one of my larger holders (if you have a "tour" sized holder or you don't plan on using one then this may not be an issue). Overall I prefer the slightly smaller size of Puttview.

The next obvious difference is the level of detail, PuttView definitely wins here. It has much more detailed markings for the fairway and tee boxes then Golflogix, which doesn't have much beyond a view of the hole and 100/150/200 lines. The green view for PuttView is also slightly more detailed, although I'm not sure if this is a meaningful difference for reading putts.

The final major difference is the finish of the pages, where PuttView is a matte finish with GolfLogix is glossy. I guess which one you like better is matter of taste, but I definitely find the greens easier to read on the GolfLogix glossy pages (they fact that they are slightly larger doesn't hurt either). The readability may also be influenced somewhat by the colors used for the different slopes of the greens, but regardless, I find GolfLogix easier to read (I'm 42 years old with what I could consider normal vision, if you're older or have bad eyes in general I think you'd definitely prefer GolfLogix for green readability). The break map (not the heat map) on PuttView is very busy and difficult to read in my opinion (the heat map is a bit easier to see).

So to conclude, I think that PuttView is definitely a superior yardage book in terms of details, GolfLogix wins in terms of readability. If you're someone who wants to know as many yardages from as many spots as possible, PuttView is your book. If you'd rather just concentrate on the greens and want something that's a little easier to read, GolfLogix is the winner. 

For me personally, I think the jury is still out on which one is better for me, I need to use both more and see what I ultimately like better. Also, I did not have any quality control issues with either book, but PuttView certainly prints information closer to the end of the page than GolfLogix, so I can see how there might be more issues there.

Anyway, I hope this comparison is useful.

Matt

IMG_0769.jpg

Nice comparison.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Just ordered a GolfLogix book. I need serous help with green reading at my home course. Hope it helps. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

20 hours ago, mkuether said:

After dekez posted his PuttView book I decided to order one just to see how it compares to the Golflogix books that I already owned. Below is a comparison photo:

The first thing I noticed is that the PuttView book is smaller than the GolfLogix book. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough of a difference that the PuttView book fits easily into my smaller scorecard holder while I had to trim the cover of the Golflogix book slightly to make it fit in one of my larger holders (if you have a "tour" sized holder or you don't plan on using one then this may not be an issue). Overall I prefer the slightly smaller size of Puttview.

The next obvious difference is the level of detail, PuttView definitely wins here. It has much more detailed markings for the fairway and tee boxes then Golflogix, which doesn't have much beyond a view of the hole and 100/150/200 lines. The green view for PuttView is also slightly more detailed, although I'm not sure if this is a meaningful difference for reading putts.

The final major difference is the finish of the pages, where PuttView is a matte finish with GolfLogix is glossy. I guess which one you like better is matter of taste, but I definitely find the greens easier to read on the GolfLogix glossy pages (they fact that they are slightly larger doesn't hurt either). The readability may also be influenced somewhat by the colors used for the different slopes of the greens, but regardless, I find GolfLogix easier to read (I'm 42 years old with what I could consider normal vision, if you're older or have bad eyes in general I think you'd definitely prefer GolfLogix for green readability). The break map (not the heat map) on PuttView is very busy and difficult to read in my opinion (the heat map is a bit easier to see).

So to conclude, I think that PuttView is definitely a superior yardage book in terms of details, GolfLogix wins in terms of readability. If you're someone who wants to know as many yardages from as many spots as possible, PuttView is your book. If you'd rather just concentrate on the greens and want something that's a little easier to read, GolfLogix is the winner. 

For me personally, I think the jury is still out on which one is better for me, I need to use both more and see what I ultimately like better. Also, I did not have any quality control issues with either book, but PuttView certainly prints information closer to the end of the page than GolfLogix, so I can see how there might be more issues there.

Anyway, I hope this comparison is useful.

Matt

IMG_0769.jpg

@mkuethernice review.  I concur with everything you have stated.  As an older fella who wears glasses the Putt View books are definitely more detailed in the green reading area, but are harder to read.  My interest was purely in the green information. I recently took an aimpoint class so I liked the idea of the slope percentages Putt View provides in their books.  However, it is a bear for me to read even with my glasses and so I tried the GolfLogix Application for the putt view but found it to cumbersome to use.  As a result, I ordered a StrackaLine green only book; which appears like it will be much better than both Putt View or GolfLogix (easier to read the details and like the heatmap better).  So, we will see once it arrives.  That said, even with a discount on the Strackaline they are very expensive for what they offer compared to the other two.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

The GolfLogix app is the single greatest tool for serious amateur tournament golfers ever. Well worth the annual subscription fee.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

8 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

@mkuethernice review.  I concur with everything you have stated.  As an older fella who wears glasses the Putt View books are definitely more detailed in the green reading area, but are harder to read.  My interest was purely in the green instomation. I recently took an aimpoint class so I liked the idea of the slope percentages Putt View provides in their books.  However, it is a bear for me to read even with my glasses and so I tried the GolfLogix Application for the putt view but found it too cumbersome to use.  As a result, I ordered a StrackaLine green only book; which appears like it will be much better than both Putt View or GolfLogix (easier to read the details and like the heatmap better).  So, we will see once it arrives.  That said, even with a discount on the Strackaline they are very expensive for what they offer compared to the other two.

I also use Aimpoint, which is why I like the slope numbers on Puttview.  I sent my sunglasses to Maui Jim for lens replacement with lenses that have 1.5 readers.  About a month and a half before we can play here in Michigan.

Keep us posted on the Strackaline. Those are much more expensive.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

4 hours ago, dekez said:

I also use Aimpoint, which is why I like the slope numbers on Puttview.  I sent my sunglasses to Maui Jim for lens replacement with lenses that have 1.5 readers.  About a month and a half before we can play here in Michigan.

As an Aimpoint user, do you feel that the numbers would just let you walk up to the ball, stick the proper amount of fingers up?

Or do you still use your feet to confirm?

34 minutes ago, theboypinoy said:

As an Aimpoint user, do you feel that the numbers would just let you walk up to the ball, stick the proper amount of fingers up?

@theboypinoy- For me, I still use my feet for a couple of reasons.... 

01) I am still in the learning phase with this technique so, I use it as an opportunity to help learn the feel of the different slopes (I also have a digital level I break out to help me confirm my feels as well - when its slow on the course).

02) I just started using the yardage books so want to confirm what they are telling me.

• Like 1

PXG 0317 X

Great Post Matt, thank you!!

D - Ping G430 LST 9, PX LE HZRDUS Black Gen 4 60 6.5TX
3W - Ping G410 14.5 (set to 15.5F), PX SB HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5

4H - Titleist TS3 23 (set to C1), PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 85  6.5

5H - Titleist TS3 25 (set to B1), PX Evenflow White 95 6.5

5I - PW - Titleist '19 T100, Project X 6.0 Flighted
GW & SW - Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 56S (bent to 55), DG TI S400

LW - Titleist Vokey SM8 60L, DG TI S200

P - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5
B - Titleist AVX

3 hours ago, theboypinoy said:

We are still out of season.  I suspect that I will rely on both the book and my feet and eyes as a check.  But prolly less of the "plank walk" altogether.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

4 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

@theboypinoy- For me, I still use my feet for a couple of reasons.... 

01) I am still in the learning phase with this technique so, I use it as an opportunity to help learn the feel of the different slopes (I also have a digital level I break out to help me confirm my feels as well - when its slow on the course).

02) I just started using the yardage books so want to confirm what they are telling me.

Thanks! I appreciate it. Hope you sink a lot of putts!

1 hour ago, dekez said:

We are still out of season.  I suspect that I will rely on both the book and my feet and eyes as a check.  But prolly less of the "plank walk" altogether.

Gotcha. Hope the combo leads to some great putting your way when the season is off and running!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 9:24 PM, Holy Moses said:

On the Golf Logix app, you can determine the amount of arrows on a green. Are the books you can buy the low, medium, or high level of arrows? Anyone know how Golf Logix mapped the greens? Did they send someone out to laser them? 

Doesn't appear you can specify the level of detail (I.e. the amount of arrows) when you order the book. In addition, I was told by another vendor, StrackaLine, that GolfLogix and PuttView etc... do not map the greens.  They use satellite images.  Strackaline was the only one to physically send someone out to perform the laser mappings.   

PXG 0317 X

On 3/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, dekez said:

Received my Strackaline Yardage book today and I must say it is much easier to read the green details verse PuttView's version.  The book itself is smaller than GolfLogix and is the same size as PuttView (6.5"x 3.75").  Here are a couple of pics from the book.  I personally prefer the StrackaLine because I can actually read the green details numbers with my prescription glasses.  I had a very hard time reading the PuttView details.  The slope detail numbers were just to dang small. However, the Strackaline is almost double the cost of the others, but they do have a 25% discount code if anyone is interested.  The discount code is "USH25".  The folks at Strackaline, informed me the reason for their high price tag was the fact that they physically send people out to perform the laser mappings. 

With all that said, Strackaline sent me the wrong "Old Hickory" course.  grrrrrrr.... 

IMG_0970.jpeg.2543b03a433aa3c9da353187d8887b6f.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg.44fe07ff8c1cbcf2f1d9c05b3eea0d8b.jpeg

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG 0317 X

15 minutes ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Received my Strackaline Yardage book today and I must say it is much easier to read the green details verse PuttView's version.  The book itself is smaller than GolfLogix and is the same size as PuttView (6.5"x 3.75").  Here are a couple of pics from the book.  I personally prefer the StrackaLine because I can actually read the green details numbers with my prescription glasses.  I had a very hard time reading the PuttView details.  The slope detail numbers were just to dang small. However, the Strackaline is almost double the cost of the others, but they do have a 25% discount code if anyone is interested.  The discount code is "USH25".  The folks at Strackaline, informed me the reason for their high price tag was the fact that they physically send people out to perform the laser mappings. 

With all that said, Strackaline sent me the wrong "Old Hickory" course.  grrrrrrr.... 

IMG_0970.jpeg.2543b03a433aa3c9da353187d8887b6f.jpeg

IMG_0971.jpeg.44fe07ff8c1cbcf2f1d9c05b3eea0d8b.jpeg

Very cool. Thanks for the review.

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

I've used a few detailed yardage books in the past.  The data was great.  What I didn't like was the time it took on each page to understand and relate the data to what I was seeing visually.  In other words, they contribute to slow play.  I won't use one.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I don't know, I just feel like these types of books will add so little to an average joe's round of golf it would do nothing but slow you down overall.  Like do you really think "oh a 2* break here, thats 1/2" outside the hole on a 4ft putt".  It might give you a general idea on what a putt is doing, but learning how to read it would probably take a long time for minimal results.

Finding a way for you to "feel" a putt is probably the easiest way to get an understanding for how a green breaks, but that is something that is actually fairly easy to me, so I don't probably appreciate your struggle.  I always use the "how would water flow" visualization to get a feel for how a putt will break, then with enough practice on straight(ish) putts I learn a feel for my speed and combine with the visualization of the roll and come up with my line.  

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

3 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Doesn't appear you can specify the level of detail (I.e. the amount of arrows) when you order the book. In addition, I was told by another vendor, StrackaLine, that GolfLogix and PuttView etc... do not map the greens.  They use satellite images.  Strackaline was the only one to physically send someone out to perform the laser mappings.   

I know you can't specify the level of detail, but the detail that comes with the books is the high level of arrows I'm assuming? 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna