Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

25 minutes ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

Just wondering how some of you plan to complete the lower end of your P770 bag, that is, if you've already included the AW (51°) in your setup?

For example, are you adding only one more wedge (e.g., 56°), or are you adding two more wedges (e.g., 56° and 60°)?

Planning on grabbing the AW from the set, then I go 54 & 58. Might have to strengthen the AW to 50* but chances are the gapping works out just fine. 

Ping G425 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 

TM Sim Max 15* - Fuji Ventus Blue

TM GAPR Lo 19* - KBS Hybrid Proto

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

TM P770 7-AW - Nippon 105

TM MG 54* & 58* - Dynamic Gold

TM Spider X Flow Neck Hydroblast

Titleist -ProV1x

1 hour ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

Just wondering how some of you plan to complete the lower end of your P770 bag, that is, if you've already included the AW (51°) in your setup?

For example, are you adding only one more wedge (e.g., 56°), or are you adding two more wedges (e.g., 56° and 60°)?

I have the set AW which has been $$$ for me and then a 56 bent to 55 and a 60 to top it off. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim E said:

I ordered the A wedge. Bottom of my old set was 47, 52, 57. I really like my 57 but I’ll have to see my gap between that and the 51 A wedge. I’m guessing i might have to buy 54 and 58 and adjust lofts if necessary. I actually like weakening my last wedge loft for added bounce.

What decisions went in for the A wedge vs MG2 if you don't mind me asking 

37 minutes ago, sleepyeg said:

What decisions went in for the A wedge vs MG2 if you don't mind me asking 

No reason other than I came from i3 2-sw. I guess I like the idea of matching the set as far down as it’ll go. To me all the way to a 54* is for full shots. My last wedge is the most important to me. I use it everywhere 80 yards in. 

I go from my 46* pw to a 52* and 60* mack daddy 4. I know it's crazy that I have such big gaps in my scoring clubs. But this is the set up that gives me confident. It's 1 less wedge I need to carry and learn.  Im an old school player so I learned to hit many shots and take as much as 20 yards off with my PW. Same with my Gap wedge. I truly feel I don't lose anything and actually gain trust.

Alot of times when I walk with my carry bag I even take out the 52* and maybe 5 iron just to lighten my bag. So I learn to be very creative with my PW.

Edited by nikeblades00

3 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

I go from my 46* pw to a 52* and 60* mack daddy 4. I know it's crazy that I have such big gaps in my scoring clubs. But this is the set up that gives me confident. It's 1 less wedge I need to carry and learn.  Im an old school player so I learned to hit many shots and take as much as 20 yards off with my PW. Same with my Gap wedge. I truly feel I don't lose anything and actually gain trust.

I always like the idea of less clubs. I hope the A wedge can be versatile for me so can fill the gap all the way to a 58 with it.

3 minutes ago, Jim E said:

I always like the idea of less clubs. I hope the A wedge can be versatile for me so can fill the gap all the way to a 58 with it.

Yah for sure. If my p770s end up being my gamer for 2021, which I'm starting to finally really like, I might consider the AW wedge and bend it 1* weak and then go to my 60*. 

• Like 1

Ordered Dec 22nd, supposedly arriving this coming week. I did not get the set AW, currently have MG2 in 50, 56 (bent to 55), 60. anybody with the AW able to compare to the MG2 gap wedge for me? still on the table as an option to buy it separately. 

On another note, my set is combo'd 4-5 P790, 6-P P770. The 790s arrived today, what a tease.

Edited by ScottHutch2

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

12 hours ago, bitt03 said:

Got a May date on my order due to modus 120x shafts being back ordered. I hope it doesn’t take that long but I’m willing to wait instead of switching to 130x.

That's insane! It just goes to show how the golf industry demand went thru the roof during this pandemic year. 

• Like 1

Just picked up my new 770's this afternoon. Ordered through a smaller local company and custom fitter. Purchase date was 12-07. Length and lie angles checked on each club. One was fairly off on lie angle (ordered two degrees flat). Quickly adjusted. All the rest were spot on. Peace of mind knowing everything is consistent.

1 hour ago, dblinden said:

Just picked up my new 770's this afternoon. Ordered through a smaller local company and custom fitter. Purchase date was 12-07. Length and lie angles checked on each club. One was fairly off on lie angle (ordered two degrees flat). Quickly adjusted. All the rest were spot on. Peace of mind knowing everything is consistent.

So basically 2 month wait. I guess I have another month to wait. It’s kind of odd that they throw a set together and miss doing specs on one of the clubs. I wonder how the process goes. Sounds like they’re being pretty sloppy. Very disappointing considering what we are paying for these. Actually kind of infuriating. IMO

I agree with both prior comments! These companies should hold themselves to a gold standard. However, the people assembling clubs for the public obviously are not the same folks in the tour vans at PGA tournaments. Most people buying golf equipment probably don't know or don't care either. If you want extreme high quality control, you likely will need to look at a company like Henry Griffitts in Idaho. They weigh and group shafts, grips, etc before assembling and measure each club. But without all the marketing, most will think the company makes inferior products. 

That said, I was actually pleased that just one club was a little off spec and is why I chose to purchase through this local business rather than going online or to a big box store. Two months to receive; I'm told the wait is longer now.  

7 hours ago, Canuckgolfer67 said:

Wondering if anyone could compare the new 770 to the 2017 770s?  I loved that set and am wishing I never got rid of them.  Most noticeably to me in the photos it seems that the new 770 is a bit larger in profile to me.

I don’t think they’re bigger really. The OG ones will be a little softer feeling. These have a techy click to them (still feel nice). The new ones will spin less and go further. Definitely much better looking overall I’d say. 

• Like 1

Hmm okay. I was watching the TXG videos on these and they were sort of alluding to the fact that the P7Mc may not blend as well with the P770 as the p790.  These two sets of irons do look a bit far apart to me and feel a lot different which is the only thing stopping me from getting a 4-6, 7- pw(mc) combo.

18 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Any feedback for those playing mmt 105 in 770 or mc.  I wish it was an upgrade option.  I just received mine with px to keep height and spin down.  Ive had back and wrist issues and was wondering if graphite like mmt would help.  Not cheap though 

You got your 770’s? If so are the specs you ordered right? Just curious because I’m waiting for mine.

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

Any feedback for those playing mmt 105 in 770 or mc.  I wish it was an upgrade option.  I just received mine with px to keep height and spin down.  Ive had back and wrist issues and was wondering if graphite like mmt would help.  Not cheap though 

I picked up the P7MC's last summer after release off the rack and had a set of MMT 105TX (ss*1) installed (left over from a previous, not conducive build).  Played the rest of the season with them.  Loved them.  They're a 1/4-1/2" long, and play a little heavy, but I'm very happy with the feel and relief they give.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled