2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

7 minutes ago, Zonazoo said:

Thinking I will most likely do the same. The TXG video review has me ready to try these out. 

I've watched almost every video on p770.  Try them out.  They'll blow you away.

One thing is they launch pretty high, which I don't normally do.  So you may want a shaft that doesn't spin too much.  All depends on your swing profile.  I ended up with project x to control launch and spin.

I actually ended up with a 5.5 hardstep.  I found it as stiff as kbs tour 120, modus 105 x, $ money S.  Now if you go project x lz its a different bend profile and not as stout.

Edited by Nick_E
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TrueWRX said:

Did you bend 790 1 weak and go 770 1 strong?

After doing a ton of research, I ended up following the guide TM put out. TXG suggests something very similar as well in one of their videos. So I’m playing more off the 770 lofts. 

Went with Modus 105S and 2 deg up throughout the set. 

Edited by redwing91007
  • Like 1

Ping G425 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 

TM Sim Max 15* - Fuji Ventus Blue

TM GAPR Lo 19* - KBS Hybrid Proto

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

TM P770 7-AW - Nippon 105

TM MG 54* & 58* - Dynamic Gold

TM Spider X Flow Neck Hydroblast

Titleist -ProV1x

I'm still loving my P7MCs..  Amazing stuff folks...  p7mc.png.d1b401dec38e9addf69f2fb18949df9e.png

• Like 3

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

15 hours ago, redwing91007 said:

After doing a ton of research, I ended up following the guide TM put out. TXG suggests something very similar as well in one of their videos. So I’m playing more off the 770 lofts. 

Went with Modus 105S and 2 deg up throughout the set. 

Do you find the 790 6 iron 2 weak launches extremely high? Thats my concern 

1 hour ago, TrueWRX said:

Do you find the 790 6 iron 2 weak launches extremely high? Thats my concern 

I haven’t been able to play with them yet, just one range session. Based on that, no issues with high flight. 

19 minutes ago, msg said:

Anyone from Canada who ordered the 770's from Taylormade? Any idea on what the current turn around time for these? TIA. 

Yup! Ordered in early December, 2 week turnaround for the 8-PW but have yet to receive the 7. Expected delivery is this week though. 

• Thanks 1

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

Titleist -ProV1x

1 hour ago, redwing91007 said:

I haven’t been able to play with them yet, just one range session. Based on that, no issues with high flight. 

Yup! Ordered in early December, 2 week turnaround for the 8-PW but have yet to receive the 7. Expected delivery is this week though. 

Thank you! My buddy ordered his November 20, but through Golf Town and he got a huge discount that I am not sure how they managed to pull. He already received his wedges two weeks ago but no word on the 770's. 

49 minutes ago, msg said:

Thank you! My buddy ordered his November 20, but through Golf Town and he got a huge discount that I am not sure how they managed to pull. He already received his wedges two weeks ago but no word on the 770's. 

Tell us more about this mystery discount! I ordered directly from TM so that could have something to do with it. 

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

Titleist -ProV1x

1 hour ago, redwing91007 said:

Tell us more about this mystery discount! I ordered directly from TM so that could have something to do with it. 

We are in lockdown here in Manitoba, so the stores here are closed. He ordered the set via phone at one of the Golf Town stores here. He did not ask for it and he was surprised that it was given to him. Although he has not paid for them and he has nothing it writing to prove it, when he got the wedges, he said they did indeed applied the discount. If I am not mistaken, they gave him 25% off on the set. To be honest, we did not believe it because these are new release irons. We won't believe it until he gets the actual irons. Crossing our fingers for him. lol 

Btw, the biggest discount I saw on the 770 was with Golf Avenue last time when they had their black Friday sale. 20% off on brand new but off the rack set. I almost bought them. $1300 Canadian, all in with taxes. I just chickened out because I never had the chance to test the 770's before the lock down. But thinking about it now, I should have bought them. If they did not work, I could have sold them without a loss, easily. 

1 hour ago, msg said:

We are in lockdown here in Manitoba, so the stores here are closed. He ordered the set via phone at one of the Golf Town stores here. He did not ask for it and he was surprised that it was given to him. Although he has not paid for them and he has nothing it writing to prove it, when he got the wedges, he said they did indeed applied the discount. If I am not mistaken, they gave him 25% off on the set. To be honest, we did not believe it because these are new release irons. We won't believe it until he gets the actual irons. Crossing our fingers for him. lol 

Btw, the biggest discount I saw on the 770 was with Golf Avenue last time when they had their black Friday sale. 20% off on brand new but off the rack set. I almost bought them. $1300 Canadian, all in with taxes. I just chickened out because I never had the chance to test the 770's before the lock down. But thinking about it now, I should have bought them. If they did not work, I could have sold them without a loss, easily. 

That's a very good deal, and like you said, easily flipped. I took advantage of the 150% trade in so I wasn't spending as much out of pocket but man, these things are still pricey. 

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

Titleist -ProV1x

I finally got a chance to hit my new P770's today inside today. I'm a slower swinging senior golfer. I'm coming from MP-59's most recently. I have to say I thought I would pick up a few yards based on others reviews, but they were within the range of my Mizuno's. My stock shot is push baby-draw and that's exactly what the P770's delivered. The P770's definitely fly higher than the Mizuno's did. Overall, I think they felt fantastic and while the MMT is a new shaft for me, I was pleased with the feel and performance. These will be in the bag a long time. 

Edited by Woodridge
spelling
  • Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

3 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

I finally got a chance to hit my new P770's today inside today. I'm a slower swinging senior golfer. I'm coming from MP-59's most recently. I have to say I thought I would pick up a few yards based on others reviews, but they were within the range of my Mizuno's. My stock shot is push baby-draw and that's exactly what the P770's delivered. The P770's definitely fly higher than the Mizuno's did. Overall, I think they felt fantastic and while the MMT is a new shaft for me, I was pleased with the feel and performance. These will be in the bag a long time. 

Glad you got them.   I bet the reason for no distance increase is the higher launch of the 770s.  If you can do a quick compare and I bet you have higher launch and higher descent angle.  I ended up going with a low launch project x shaft to counter the 770 high launch.

Hope you enjoy them. Mine are probably still 2 weeks out.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

Glad you got them.   I bet the reason for no distance increase is the higher launch of the 770s.  If you can do a quick compare and I bet you have higher launch and higher descent angle.  I ended up going with a low launch project x shaft to counter the 770 high launch.

Hope you enjoy them. Mine are probably still 2 weeks out.  

Thanks and you're probably right on higher launch being the factor. I think you'll love them. Looking forward to your review.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Order my P770 6-PW with Modus 105 Stiff flex, no other adjustments, on October 24, got a approximate ship date of Dec 22.  Called on Dec 23rd and asked when they would ship, Taylormade stated Dec 26.  A week later, they arrived. Coming from 2008 Taylormade burner tour irons, the feel, distance, and forgivness are night and day. Very happy with my purchase, now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can take them out more. 

13 hours ago, Woodridge said:

The distance the P770 everyone talks about is a little misleading.

The P790 made its name on distance (along with other distance irons from other brands) by being low spin.  The P770 has much more traditional lofts and spin quite a bit more.  They launch a *touch* high due to construction but again, nothing abnormal.  They just don’t launch “low” by default.  They can be punched and flighted.  They still have the distance and technology that a foam filled head can provide as well as exceptional forgiveness in a small(er) frame.

Shafts can play a huge difference.  It appears you’re going to a new shaft (MMT) compared to your older clubs, that could affect your launch and distance as well.

I’m generally a standard length/standard lie guy so I can cheat and get “off the rack” at times.  I got my 770s off the rack with the KBS Tour shafts in order to beat the shipping delays.  I’ve been previously fit into the KBS Tour as an option, so I figured I’d give it a try.  Numbers weren’t optimal, but gameable.  After a handful of rounds I noticed my flight was far too high and my distances were almost exactly the same as my i210 I previously gamed for 2 years.  My strike consistency was a bit odd too so I did go through a full fitting at Club Champion.  One of the biggest things to note was my “off the rack” build was a D0 swing weight.  They are now D4 and I’m again finding the center of the face extremely frequently.

I was fit into the new PX LS shafts to kill as much spin and launch as possible.  I still spin a 6i 5,700 but that’s down almost 750 rpm, launch was down a little over a degree.  By getting the proper fit I did gain 10+ yards through the bag and now I’m seeing distances I wasn’t previously used to.

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 1/5/2021 at 2:56 PM, redwing91007 said:

That's a very good deal, and like you said, easily flipped. I took advantage of the 150% trade in so I wasn't spending as much out of pocket but man, these things are still pricey. 

Yes, they are indeed expensive. I ended up with the Cobra Forged Tec, heavily discounted and got them brand new. These will do for now. Btw my buddy told me that got an update from Golf Town and he is getting his set February 1st. 

Update on my end, my 7i came in yesterday so I now have everything I ordered on Dec 7th. 

• Like 1

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

Titleist -ProV1x

12 hours ago, Hougz79 said:

The distance the P770 everyone talks about is a little misleading.

The P790 made its name on distance (along with other distance irons from other brands) by being low spin.  The P770 has much more traditional lofts and spin quite a bit more.  They launch a *touch* high due to construction but again, nothing abnormal.  They just don’t launch “low” by default.  They can be punched and flighted.  They still have the distance and technology that a foam filled head can provide as well as exceptional forgiveness in a small(er) frame.

Shafts can play a huge difference.  It appears you’re going to a new shaft (MMT) compared to your older clubs, that could affect your launch and distance as well.

I’m generally a standard length/standard lie guy so I can cheat and get “off the rack” at times.  I got my 770s off the rack with the KBS Tour shafts in order to beat the shipping delays.  I’ve been previously fit into the KBS Tour as an option, so I figured I’d give it a try.  Numbers weren’t optimal, but gameable.  After a handful of rounds I noticed my flight was far too high and my distances were almost exactly the same as my i210 I previously gamed for 2 years.  My strike consistency was a bit odd too so I did go through a full fitting at Club Champion.  One of the biggest things to note was my “off the rack” build was a D0 swing weight.  They are now D4 and I’m again finding the center of the face extremely frequently.

I was fit into the new PX LS shafts to kill as much spin and launch as possible.  I still spin a 6i 5,700 but that’s down almost 750 rpm, launch was down a little over a degree.  By getting the proper fit I did gain 10+ yards through the bag and now I’m seeing distances I wasn’t previously used to.

I got fit for the regular px, but didn't try the px ls.  Did you compare the px with px ls? I was able to get my spin and launch down to a really solid number with px.

12 minutes ago, Nick_E said:

I got fit for the regular px, but didn't try the px ls.  Did you compare the px with px ls? I was able to get my spin and launch down to a really solid number with px.

Yes.  I’ve gamed regular PX numerous times over the years.  For me in this case, LS was a better fit.  Less harsh feel too.  It’s a tight feeling like a banjo string, but a smooth tight. LS unfortunately isn’t in any fitting carts for TM, you’d have to go to an agnostic fitter to get them.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Has anyone managed to get in any range or rounds in and want to comment?  I am still hitting the net on an almost daily basis now and have some decent sessions. We also have a few places around here offering heated booths with outdoor hitting but I haven't braved that yet...

Anyone with a split set MC/MB want to comment on hitting both and the split?  I know and can see the MBs are smaller than the MCs and are they more difficult to hit than the already compact MCs and any issue with the transition between the 2 sets?

• Like 1

I have the P770 with the PX LZ 6.0 shafts. They're mid-launch shafts so they do fly a touch higher than I'm used to but I like it. My previous irons were about a degree (on avg) stronger lofted and I'm still getting more or less the same distances. Forgiveness wise, I honestly cannot tell the difference between this and the P790. I have no desire to hit a 7 iron 185 yards and re-learn distances so I'm glad I made the choice I did. 

I also watched every P770 video out there and I'm not so sure I'd recommend strengthening lofts on the 770's (or any iron for that matter), mainly because I'm not a fan of taking away bounce. 

The one regret I have is that I wish I got the 5-PW instead of 4-PW. I would've been much better off getting a 4H instead as the 4 iron isn't the easiest to hit well consistently.

• Like 1

I concur on the distance or lack of with P770. Found the clubhead speed on my 10 years old standard length blades is greater than the couple of miles per hour jump in ball speed on(shorter)TM standard length shafts, hence why I am at least several yards shorter on every club. 

Please be aware of this if you are looking into the p770.

Vastly overrated imho.

Edited by Golly

55 minutes ago, Golly said:

I concur on the distance or lack of with P770. Found the clubhead speed on my 10 years old standard length blades is greater than the couple of miles per hour jump in ball speed on(shorter)TM standard length shafts, hence why I am at least several yards shorter on every club. 

Vastly overrated imho.

Lol

59 minutes ago, Golly said:

Vastly overrated imho.

The length measurement they use is what the pga tour van uses.  Its around .13 or .2 inches at most difference.  That won't cause a material ball speed difference

If you weren't seeing higher ball speeds vs your 10 year old blade you're in the vast minority.

16 hours ago, chasemyaccord said:

I have the P770 with the PX LZ 6.0 shafts. They're mid-launch shafts so they do fly a touch higher than I'm used to but I like it. My previous irons were about a degree (on avg) stronger lofted and I'm still getting more or less the same distances. Forgiveness wise, I honestly cannot tell the difference between this and the P790. I have no desire to hit a 7 iron 185 yards and re-learn distances so I'm glad I made the choice I did. 

I also watched every P770 video out there and I'm not so sure I'd recommend strengthening lofts on the 770's (or any iron for that matter), mainly because I'm not a fan of taking away bounce. 

The one regret I have is that I wish I got the 5-PW instead of 4-PW. I would've been much better off getting a 4H instead as the 4 iron isn't the easiest to hit well consistently.

Give the P7MC 3 iron a swing.. 🙂  that thing truly is a butter knife.... 

zoomed.jpeg

zoomed2.jpeg

Edited by Magnificat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

The length measurement they use is what the pga tour van uses.  Its around .13 or .2 inches at most difference.  That won't cause a material ball speed difference

If you weren't seeing higher ball speeds vs your 10 year old blade you're in the vast minority.

My apologies. Swingspeed is much greater with the blades vs p770. 

Had a pro take a look at them and his opinion is the 9 iron performs like a wedge and he also felt the balance of the irons seem to off. He uses KBS c-taper 130x. I have the tour 120s on the p770 and c-taper on the blades. 

I've asked my pro to send them back to TM to have them checked over and send a spec sheet.