2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

I really have never understood the whole thing as to why some get so offended by iron covers. Like one time a had a guy giving me advise as to how he would have changed my new 2018 F150 that I had just lifted. Noticed when he left he drove away in 94 2wd Ranger 🤣

The great thing about golf. It is an “individual” sport. A sport where we can all try to play this great game to the best of our own abilities. As for me, when I get my new 770’s I may or may not get covers. But it is mine to make. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geakins said:

I really have never understood the whole thing as to why some get so offended by iron covers. Like one time a had a guy giving me advise as to how he would have changed my new 2018 F150 that I had just lifted. Noticed when he left he drove away in 94 2wd Ranger 🤣

The great thing about golf. It is an “individual” sport. A sport where we can all try to play this great game to the best of our own abilities. As for me, when I get my new 770’s I may or may not get covers. But it is mine to make. 

It is your decision to make and if you were my playing buddy I would let you hear it about them. Like you said golf is an individual sport and I will stick to my opinion that they look terrible. 

• Like 1

Some things just look cooler when they're beat up.

Likesuchas a Stratocaster, a pair of Chucks, a set of player's irons ... 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Agreed!

A set of players irons with a little bag chatter and a worn sweet spot.  Id rather see that then a shiny set of clubs with iron covers on them!  Just my humble option but one screams player the other screams poser.   As Tigerinthewoods said... Tools not Jewels.   

Edited by dre72

8 hours ago, ASN21 said:

It is your decision to make and if you were my playing buddy I would let you hear it about them. Like you said golf is an individual sport and I will stick to my opinion that they look terrible. 

And if you were my playing buddy I would want to hear it from you! Nothing beats some good old ribbing from your buddies! image.gif.2cc476d1c84552b019b8d9b4b020f18a.gifAlso thanks for honest reply! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dre72 said:

Agreed!

A set of players irons with a little bag chatter and a worn sweet spot.  Id rather see that then a shiny set of clubs with iron covers on them!  Just my humble option but one screams player the other screams poser.   As Tigerinthewoods said... Tools not Jewels.   

But what if you are trying to keep your wife from knowing all the new tools you have!! 😂. I wouldn’t use them to keep the clubs from getting dinged and beat up, as much as I am trying to protect me from a getting dinged and beat up from my wife! 

All jokes aside I have a great wife who totally supports my golf habits. 

have a good one!

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2020 at 4:06 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

I have a like new set of P7MC with X100 I'm going to sell. After a fitting this morning I think I'm going to try Modus 120x out. Hard to get right now so message me if interested! Will be putting on BST later. 

What was your finding (feel, ball flight, etc) with the modus over the X100s. I am really looking hard at the modus. Have played X1 for decades. Thanks!

1 hour ago, geakins said:

What was your finding (feel, ball flight, etc) with the modus over the X100s. I am really looking hard at the modus. Have played X1 for decades. Thanks!

Ball speed with 7i increased from around 129-130 to 131-133. Descent angle steepened a touch, around 1100 rpm of draw spin decreased to 600rpm. Perfect little 5 yard push draws landing right down the centreline. Could hit a cut on demand for some reason. Just felt really easy to work with. I’ve played them before with success but I tend to be violent with the handle and am pretty quick in transition so I didn’t think they would be a good fit. 6th option on mizuno shaft optimizer but they just felt best in my hands. I’m 97-98 with my 7i course swing. 

4 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Ball speed with 7i increased from around 129-130 to 131-133. Descent angle steepened a touch, around 1100 rpm of draw spin decreased to 600rpm. Perfect little 5 yard push draws landing right down the centreline. Could hit a cut on demand for some reason. Just felt really easy to work with. I’ve played them before with success but I tend to be violent with the handle and am pretty quick in transition so I didn’t think they would be a good fit. 6th option on mizuno shaft optimizer but they just felt best in my hands. I’m 97-98 with my 7i course swing. 

Good deal! Thanks man

14 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Tools not jewels man. Don’t know a single good player who uses em just saying. 

Lamest take ever. While I don't use Iron covers, I personally hate them, but my good buddy does use headcovers and he's a legit scratch. Not to mention multiple time European Tour winner player Aaron Rai uses iron covers. I dont care anything about anyone else bag. Do you.

Ds4NkDgWkAU7lQo.jpg

Edited by nikeblades00
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, nikeblades00 said:

Lamest take ever. While I don't use Iron covers, I personally hate them, but my good buddy does use headcovers and he's a legit scratch. Not to mention multiple time European Tour winner player Aaron Rai uses iron covers. I dont care anything about anyone else bag. Do you.

Ds4NkDgWkAU7lQo.jpg

Aaron Rai’s dad bought him headcovers to put on his clubs when he was young to keep them in good condition, a lesson to value the clubs and the money spent on them. He keeps them on as a tribute to his father  and what he learned that despite how wealthy he might be, he should still respect his possessions. So if I want to keep my nice irons protected, should not be a bad thing. I spent a lot of money on them. Would you treat your Porsche any differently?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ericft said:

Aaron Rai’s dad bought him headcovers to put on his clubs when he was young to keep them in good condition, a lesson to value the clubs and the money spent on them. He keeps them on as a tribute to his father  and what he learned that despite how wealthy he might be, he should still respect his possessions. So if I want to keep my nice irons protected, should not be a bad thing. I spent a lot of money on them. Would you treat your Porsche any differently?

Didn't know that back story. Very cool. I already was fan, but now even more.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ericft said:

Well yeah....I wouldn’t leave the cover on while using the Porsche. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Finally received my set Friday and got out to a Toptracer dome near me.  Set was ordered on 8/29.  4-PW, KBS Tour FLT, +1/2", 1 deg up.  I was worried that after all this time that I had built these clubs up in my head to be better than they actually were.  After an hour essentially gapping them, I love them.  They feel better than I remember them.  Not as soft as my old MP14s or MP67s, but every bit as soft as my PSI Tours.  I like the look of them immensely better than the PSI Tours.  At address they're up there with my old blades, with a slightly thicker topline.  Really, these are the irons I've been looking for for a long time.  And to top it off, so far, they're about a half club longer than the PSI Tours when you take into account the stronger lofts (comparing my PSI Tour 7 iron to a P770 8 iron, for example).  I don't buy irons very often, only 3 sets in the last 26 years.  I tend to spend my money on lessons rather than trying to buy better performance.  So glad I bought the performance this time.

• Like 1

Had a good range session on Friday with my new P7MC’s and immediately noticed a slight (1/2 club) increase in distance which is nice especially as we are in a cold spell so I expected a drop off....but the biggest difference with my P750’s was the left/right dispersion was massively tightened up and so was the distance dispersion....the drop off on less than perfect strikes was far less noticeable than the P750’s

Feel was superb through the set but the biggest smile on my face was the 5 iron....OMG....I’ve never felt something this sweet and was surprisingly easy to hit

Makes me think twice about leaving the MC #4 at home and may think about benching the P770 instead!!

Onto Saturday....we’ve had a lot of rain this week so the course only had 11 holes open but I managed to get out and tried to put myself in positions where I could use almost every iron....I’m certainly very impressed!!

Short irons are so easy to hit accurately and did i say the long irons are sweet.....yeah I may have done but they really do need it saying again.....for an iron with such a small profile and sole...they are very easy to hit for this profile of iron!

Straight away I can say these are a massive improvement over my P750’s so they will be getting sold this week!...cant wait to dial these in over the winter and stoked for next season!

53 minutes ago, nickosbad said:

Had a good range session on Friday with my new P7MC’s and immediately noticed a slight (1/2 club) increase in distance which is nice especially as we are in a cold spell so I expected a drop off....but the biggest difference with my P750’s was the left/right dispersion was massively tightened up and so was the distance dispersion....the drop off on less than perfect strikes was far less noticeable than the P750’s

Feel was superb through the set but the biggest smile on my face was the 5 iron....OMG....I’ve never felt something this sweet and was surprisingly easy to hit

Makes me think twice about leaving the MC #4 at home and may think about benching the P770 instead!!

Onto Saturday....we’ve had a lot of rain this week so the course only had 11 holes open but I managed to get out and tried to put myself in positions where I could use almost every iron....I’m certainly very impressed!!

Short irons are so easy to hit accurately and did i say the long irons are sweet.....yeah I may have done but they really do need it saying again.....for an iron with such a small profile and sole...they are very easy to hit for this profile of iron!

Straight away I can say these are a massive improvement over my P750’s so they will be getting sold this week!...cant wait to dial these in over the winter and stoked for next season!

they are great irons. Just sold my set but will likely circle back in the future. The one thing I would say is I wish they made the top line slightly thinner particularly in the short irons. I will likely get 7 or 8-Pw in the MB just for the topline. 

On 12/5/2020 at 6:39 AM, ericft said:

Would you treat your Porsche any differently?

Well, my Porsche wasn't built to hit little spheres hundreds of yards off the ground. 🙂

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Finally joined the site after being a long time lurker. Placed my order for a split set, P790 (4-6) and P770 (7-PW), over the weekend and couldn't be more excited. Used TM's guide for loft adjustments. 

Coming from an off the rack set of M4s so this should be one serious step up for me. Playing off a 12 index for context. 

Edited by redwing91007
  • Like 1

Ping G425 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 

TM Sim Max 15* - Fuji Ventus Blue

TM GAPR Lo 19* - KBS Hybrid Proto

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

TM P770 7-AW - Nippon 105

TM MG 54* & 58* - Dynamic Gold

TM Spider X Flow Neck Hydroblast

Titleist -ProV1x

17 minutes ago, redwing91007 said:

Finally joined the site after being a long time lurker. Placed my order for a split set, P790 (4-6) and P770 (7-PW), over the weekend and couldn't be more excited. Used TM's guide for loft adjustments. 

Coming from an off the rack set of M4s so this should be one serious step up for me. Playing off a 12 index for context. 

Let me know how the combo goes. Ive been debating all 770s or combo exactly how you did 

15 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

Let me know how the combo goes. Ive been debating all 770s or combo exactly how you did 

I’ve gone 790 4-7, 770 8 - AW.

770’s bent to same lofts as 790 spec.

Previously had (2017) P790 4 -PW and wanted something a little more precise in the shorter irons. 

Also went for the AW as I previously changed zee from a 52* Vokey to a 50* vokey with my 790s but the gap from PW to that GW was still too much. 

H.I. 2 for reference 

Ordered early Oct and due just before Christmas (UK). 

Cannot wait, even though I shot a career best 66 using a set of Mizuno True’s that were an inch too short and 3 degrees to flat as I had sold my 790’s a bit prematurely!

will add pics when I get them to show how the offset changes with stronger lofts on the 770s

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

Will do. I got into the 770s based solely off hitting the 7 irons at my fitter. Already have fairly low confidence in my long irons so I'm all for added forgiveness there. The way I see it, 7 and down I'm looking to place the ball on a specific area of the green and need more workability, but from 6 up I'm just trying to hit the green. 

12 minutes ago, Re*Ax said:

I’ve gone 790 4-7, 770 8 - AW.

770’s bent to same lofts as 790 spec.

Previously had (2017) P790 4 -PW and wanted something a little more precise in the shorter irons. 

Also went for the AW as I previously changed zee from a 52* Vokey to a 50* vokey with my 790s but the gap from PW to that GW was still too much. 

H.I. 2 for reference 

Ordered early Oct and due just before Christmas (UK). 

Cannot wait, even though I shot a career best 66 using a set of Mizuno True’s that were an inch too short and 3 degrees to flat as I had sold my 790’s a bit prematurely!

will add pics when I get them to show how the offset changes with stronger lofts on the 770s

Looking forward to see what those stronger lofts look like. I opted to weaken then since my spin numbers and dispersion we're significantly better with the 770 lofts. I don't mind losing a bit of distance, I don't need to be hitting a PW 135 like I have been with my M4s. 

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

Titleist -ProV1x

Had two rounds with my 770's after receiving them last week, ordered 9/24

What can I say, best irons I had in my Hands so far. Great feel, gained one Club in Distance over my Mizuno jpx 850. Only 2 shots which I would call slightly misshit. 

More than impressed.... Unfortunately courses are closed again due to the second covid lockdown over here 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adelorenzo29 said:

Playing Friday for first time with P770. Sky trak numbers are pretty much right where I would like them. 5 iron normal swing. 

0467C7EE-63E9-4A88-B5F1-13945DB24A60.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. My normal swing speed is in the same area +/- a few MPH so this is a great indication of what I can expect out of it. This carry number is more similar to my 6 in my current set, which makes sense, but launch angle and spin are way more in line with what I want to see moving into the 770s. 

Edited by redwing91007

TM P790 4-6 - Nippon 105

Titleist -ProV1x

After a couple fittings I ordered through my club yesterday. 4i P790 1* weak, 5-AW P770. C-Taper Lite stiff, everything 1* upright. I forget what the exact delivery date quoted was but it was mid-January which is better than expected. Hopefully they'll show up so I can jump on Trackman, the 7 iron numbers from GC Quad were promising, gained 7 yards on average over my TP CBs (same loft) without sacrificing too much spin.