2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P7MC and P770 2020

doctorjedi

Got my P7MC today.. x100 straight in which is my normal shaft. One range session off mats. Feel is spectacular. Very high quality forging. Right amount of feedback but still precise.  Have a little launch monitor I take to the bays with me and it showed super consistent ball speed and quite high. I’m reasonably quick - cruise around 95mph 7 iron and was consistently around 130bs. That’s my very smooth swing and Flight window was where I like to see it. Initial impressions showed a bit more speed put in didnt just go higher which is nice the flight continued forward. I noticed that with t100 a harder swing would just spin more and not go further with the mid and short irons. Can’t comment on turf interaction obviously as I was hitting off mats. Look is nice behind the ball. Just inoffensive overall. Forgiveness wise they give a fraction more help than blades but still offers the control you want. Wouldn’t be good if you don’t shoot in the 70s or 60s consistently I’d think. A friend of mine who is a bit shorter hit a few and had some 20 yard drop offs. He’s a good player too but he’s shorter than I am. I average around 185-190 carry with my 7 he is more 155. 

For reference other than two rounds with the 760s I’ve never gamed TM irons. Was down to +0.8 this year but back up to +0.1. I average 13+ GIR playing my course from 6700 for men’s league and 7100 for money games and normal rounds with friends. 

will update on here after this weekend as I’ll be playing 4 rounds outdoors in reasonable weather. Way too early to form much of an opinion but coming from a Miura combo set I like the look and feel which says a lot. Need to see how things go on course. 

• Like 4

First round out was even par. Hit some good shots for sure. There is a little bit of protection in the mid to short irons. The 4 iron does not offer much in the way of help FYI. My initial impression is these are just blades with some of the back milled out. If you want any help whatsoever I’d combo in some 770 long irons. My normal set is Miuras with x100 in them which is a very heavy setup but for some reason these felt particularly hefty? It was only 48 degrees out but still .. oddly heavy. I also have been having a swing issue which is leading me to hit my long irons very left which is annoying so potentially may be looking at reshafting with some modus I have. 

overall for round one:

- great feel

- You can hit any shot you desire

- turf interaction was really nice

- Next to no help in the long irons

- look great in the bag as seen below!

Edit:

I have also attached a photo of the sole compared to my Miura CB57 4 iron. The CB57 is no joke to hit in the long irons and you can  see how the MC actually makes it look big... 

38C7F114-2711-483F-BF52-05983EDC01FD.jpeg

13DC0369-483E-4F3B-B40F-4530BD4B2DFE.jpeg

Edited by TigerInTheWoods

7 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

First round out was even par. Hit some good shots for sure. There is a little bit of protection in the mid to short irons. The 4 iron does not offer much in the way of help FYI. My initial impression is these are just blades with some of the back milled out. If you want any help whatsoever I’d combo in some 770 long irons. My normal set is Miuras with x100 in them which is a very heavy setup but for some reason these felt particularly hefty? It was only 48 degrees out but still .. oddly heavy. I also have been having a swing issue which is leading me to hit my long irons very left which is annoying so potentially may be looking at reshafting with some modus I have. 

overall for round one:

- great feel

- You can hit any shot you desire

- turf interaction was really nice

- Next to no help in the long irons

- look great in the bag as seen below!

Thanks for the initial review, especially the comments on the long irons.  I had suspected these would pretty much play like blades, good to get the info first hand.

7 minutes ago, anw79 said:

Thanks for the initial review, especially the comments on the long irons.  I had suspected these would pretty much play like blades, good to get the info first hand.

No problem. With the supply issues I think it’s good to get info out there for people. I also really hate when people romanticize irons. Flat out, you have to be a ball striker to get the most out of the long irons. I’m grabbing some P760 4 and 5 to combo in. Even some PGA pros are doing that. The 6-PW are butter and I hit a knockdown 5 from 185 to 4 feet on a tough par 3. I’ll likely only replace the 4. 

if anyone has questions please feel free to ask. 

Edited by TigerInTheWoods

Thanks for the review.  Would love to hear your thoughts on these vs the Miura's in the mid to short irons, especially turf interaction and head weight differences.  I'm close on pulling the trigger on a set of Miura TC-201 4 - P or a combo set with 4 & 5 P770 and 6 - PW in the P7 MC.  Any insight you can furnish would be extremely helpful.  

Played my first round with the P770's yesterday. Super cold when we started (40 min frost delay in Calif!), so hard to really have any distance commentary. They were essentially flying about the same as my PSi's. Slightly higher launch, better feel, and I think more forgiving on "close, but not perfect strikes".

Didn't score well, but that was on my driver and putter, not the irons.

I had a range session today also with my full complement of P7MCs 3-pw and I have to say I wasn't sure what to expect as I don't have that much experience with forged clubs or a lot of variety of clubs but these turned out to be great and really worked for me.

Cool thing is the short irons were very close in distance to my own irons down to the 7 iron which is where i started to see the drop off occur.   I hit my rblades 8 iron 150 and I hit the MCs 150 but my rblades 7 iron which has a speedslot would travel 165 whereas my 7 mc came up slightly shorter. 6 iron hit the 165-170 mark.  I managed a awesome center face 3 iron off a nearly flat rubber tee (i bring my own) which went 185-190 which is close to my old rblades 4 iron.  

As for feel, wow, when you hit one dead center it feels amazing! Soft buttery just as TM describes. Of course off center or toe hits were clearly losing distance and you could tell it wasn't a great strike but still would go a decent distance.  Overall i wasn't losing as much as I expected on miss hits in the mid to short irons. Long irons give you NO HELP as others have stated and its sheer raw swing speed and center hits but the 3 iron i flushed felt just as good as anything i could imagine. 

1 more thing, if you take them to the range on mats, make sure you sweep any sand or gravel bits off the matt beforehand. my 8 iron now has a small divit mark along the bottom face from a pebble. SUCKS cause once it happened i just made sure the mat remained clean and I had no other issues. These things are soft!

I need to get some new wedges.. these chunky things need to go. 🙂 Don't mind the 5 1/4" floppy disks in the picture I was working on my computer earlier.. 🙂 

HPIM4955.JPG

HPIM4957.JPG

Edited by Magnificat

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, greensto said:

Thanks for the review.  Would love to hear your thoughts on these vs the Miura's in the mid to short irons, especially turf interaction and head weight differences.  I'm close on pulling the trigger on a set of Miura TC-201 4 - P or a combo set with 4 & 5 P770 and 6 - PW in the P7 MC.  Any insight you can furnish would be extremely helpful.  

If I had to guess the 770 may give you a bit more speed in the 4 and 5. Depending on your ball striking ability I might go the 6 in the 770 as well... 

Anybody have experience with the MC long irons they can share? It’s cold here so hard to see how they’ll play in the season. Going to grab a 760 4 and 5 just in case they remain a struggle. 

I've played about 10 rounds and 5 range sessions with my p770s now, and the faces appear to be marked up quite a bit . I even wipe them with a towel every 2-3 shots at the range ( In case I was going to sell them). I wipe with wet towel every shot while playing.  My PW is the worst. Are these faces a soft material?  My last 2 sets of Mizunos the faces didn't even look this rough this quick.

Here's a closeup. Its actually some deep scratches and I can feel some roughness on surface. 

Screenshot_20201127-230940_Gallery.jpg

5 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

If I had to guess the 770 may give you a bit more speed in the 4 and 5. Depending on your ball striking ability I might go the 6 in the 770 as well... 

Anybody have experience with the MC long irons they can share? It’s cold here so hard to see how they’ll play in the season. Going to grab a 760 4 and 5 just in case they remain a struggle. 

When I first saw the new lineup I thought I might do a triple combo.  4,5: P770; 6,7: P7MC; 8-P: P7MB.  Because the wait from order to delivery was so long, I grabbed a set (4-P) of P7MC's from Golftown.  The had the stock KBS Tour 120s in them, and I immediately liked the way they felt.  I soon had the MMT 105TX's installed.  I find I hit the 4 and 5 not too bad.  Could I use a little help, probably.  I think your selection of the P760 long irons is a good idea

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

10 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

I've played about 10 rounds and 5 range sessions with my p770s now, and the faces appear to be marked up quite a bit . I even wipe them with a towel every 2-3 shots at the range ( In case I was going to sell them). I wipe with wet towel every shot while playing.  My PW is the worst. Are these faces a soft material?  My last 2 sets of Mizunos the faces didn't even look this rough this quick.

Here's a closeup. Its actually some deep scratches and I can feel some roughness on surface. 

Soft carbon steel with sand on the range for divot fill and this will occur.

Forged Hollow Body Construction

These irons consist of a thin, wrap around forged 4140 steel face, soft carbon steel body and up to 46g of tungsten weighting designed to deliver explosive distance and forgiveness.

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

10 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

My pitching wedge in much better shape after probably double the play. 

image.jpg

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

2 minutes ago, Copacetic said:

image.jpg

It is not the amount of "play" but the amount of "range" time these irons get used.  The sand on the range is sandblasting the face and wears them out.

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

21 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

It is not the amount of "play" but the amount of "range" time these irons get used.  The sand on the range is sandblasting the face and wears them out.

I've played this same range for 10 years now. My older clubs took over a year to develop the cracks in the metal. I honestly feel like another 100 balls and they will brown in that center dime spot.

Just now, nikeblades00 said:

I've played this same range for 10 years now. My older clubs took over a year to develop the cracks in the metal. I honestly feel like another 100 balls and they will brown in that center dime spot.

If the older clubs were not as soft carbon steel they will hold up well.  Many cast clubs are like that so it totally depends upon the metal used in the face.

Just now, BirdieBob said:

If the older clubs were not as soft carbon steel they will hold up well.  Many cast clubs are like that so it totally depends upon the metal used in the face.

Mizuno mp 59s and mp54s. Ive hit less than 40 balls from grass range with the pitching wedge. Like I said I am anal and even wiped with towel after every few hits. I understand the ball markings buts its the rough splitting of the metal which makes me think this is way too early.

28 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Iike everyone else I go to the range about half as often as I play a round.  So easily 20 times since I’ve had the clubs and double that in rounds. 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

Just now, Copacetic said:

Iike everyone else I go to the range about half as often as I play a round.  So easily 20 times since I’ve had the clubs and double that in rounds. 

Luckily, my range has some mats that can be used to avoid the sand laden range turf.  This helps tremendously in avoiding the wear on the face of irons with soft faces. 

33 minutes ago, Copacetic said:

image.jpg

thanks for the pic. Yah thats what I would of expected. 

I'm someone who realizes these are tools that are meant to get beat up but I'm seeing the beginning of what browning looks like.  Wtf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Luckily, my range has some mats that can be used to avoid the sand laden range turf.  This helps tremendously in avoiding the wear on the face of irons with soft faces. 

‘very few ranges here in Ireland have much sand in them, my local one is 3/4 indoor mats and 1/4 outdoor off our normal clay soil, that’s probably the difference. 

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

1 hour ago, BirdieBob said:

Same here but make sure you sweep any sand or particles in the hitting area away.  The bottom of my 8 iron from 1 range session has a small gouge from the sand grain on 1 hit.  They are indeed very soft all over so i plan to bring a hand wisk and just sweep it. I also played when the mats were wet and i loved it. It didn't leave plastic all over the bottoms of the clubs so i plan to wet the hitting area from now on. 🙂    at least on plastic hitting mats...

Edited by Magnificat
  • Like 1

DRIVER: TaylorMade R1 10.5° Stock Shaft Regular Flex

3/4 WOOD: TaylorMade Rballz 14°HL Stock Shaft Regular Flex

IRONS 3-PW: TaylorMade P7MC Nippon Modus Tour 105S

GW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 52.09 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

SW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 56.12 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

LW: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 60.08 Nippon Modus Tour 105S

Putter: TaylorMade Daytona 12 traditional bladed putter

BALL: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1